Running & new tattoo (Read 207 times)

run forrest

So I just got my first tattoo three days ago. It's in the middle of my upper back.  I want to make sure I let everything heal properly.  How long should I wait before running again?

I trained like I would normally train with all my tattoos. They healed just fine.

D'oh! I never even considered not running because of new tattoos. I don't even remember the sweat stinging with mine. I think sweat is actually pretty clean. The only thing I would worry about is keeping it out of the sun, because UV can damage new  tattoos. I don't know where you live, but that may not be a concern this time of year.

kilkee

runktrun

Keep clothes from chafing it while running, and excessively stretching the skin in that area as it heals.  Otherwise you should be fine.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

The only time I ever lost ink from a new tattoo was running the day after, and it was in the small of my back where my storage belt sits (where I kept my phone).  I did a long run of like two hours, sweated buckets, and lost some ink.  But I think it was more due to the rubbing.

The first 48 hours are the most critical but after four days I'd think you would be safe.

Leah, mother of dogs

No more marathons

I took about a week off, but only because I was injured.

<--------------------------

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

philipfromga

i've had both sleeves done and always ran the day after unless it happened to be a schedule off day.  My artist told me not to worry about it as long as you keep is well lubricated with Aquaphor and if you can wrap it with plastic wrap that's even better.  Keeping it from being chafed by your clothes is the important part.

Angry runner

my tatoo artist discouraged runninr due to the salt attacking the color of the ink during the healing especially if wrapped up with plastic or a tegaderm medical bandage just the day after though and i was back at it depends on the person how much you sweat and whether you have it wrapped or not