Face mask while running (Read 323 times)

Gizmo2019

For those of you who run in zero degree or very cold weather, do you wear face masks (the kind that looks like you’re going to rob a bank...saw a few runners in Chicago with this).

we now have a county order to bring facial covering with us when we go outside in case we cannot maintain physical distance.

so I’m looking for something that will help me breathe. Or maybe everyone can just stay the hell away from me!

everyone seems to want to run Now!!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

In very cold weather I wear a balaclava, which would be as good or better than a homemade face mask. It would look and feel rather inappropriate in 40-50F weather, however.

MTA: On second thought, it probably wouldn't be effective against viral transmission, since it doesn't cover the nose.  What you're probably seeing is a neck gaiter, which may be more effective:

an amazing likeness

I'd recommend that what you use is a "running buff".   You can leave it off until approaching someone, then pull it up over your nose and mouth.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I'd recommend that what you use is a "running buff".   You can leave it off until approaching someone, then pull it up over your nose and mouth.

That's what I've been doing. I have a thin one from Decathlon Sports that was $2. Actually not too bad to breathe through. I pull it up mainly to be polite to other people, some of whom seem VERY concerned (yet still go out in public to popular places like multi-use trails...). I've been going places with less people for runs because I get tired of pulling up my covering every 100m.

There are MYRIAD choices on Ebay, make sure to look at delivery date, maybe check the "US only" search criteria box on the left of the page. I just searched "balaclava" and got hits on hundreds of acceptable face masks; refine search from there. I was tempted to get the 3D printed chimp face, but opted for a ho-hum skull with a cigar. Tip: look for thin material like lycra, there are a lot of these that are for skiing and are thick and warm (hot).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xbalaclava.TRS1&_nkw=balaclava&_sacat=0

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Half Crazy K 2.0

I just ordered these from Amazon. I have something similar to what Led Lincoln posted for cold weather--however, even in 0 dgrees & wind, I could not keep it over my nose for long. Mouth yes, nose, no. I figure for the rare trips to the store, these will work. Buffs or neck gaiters are more easily available on Amazon and probably from other stores.

I also have a long piece of cut off t-shirt that I am carrying that I can tie around my face if I need to run into a store while out running. I typically don't pass many people, this is just in case I need to use the bathroom and you are now required to have your face covered in MD.

chuckstone

I made some by cutting the sleeves off of a short sleeve race shirt that I didn't mind sacrificing.  The sleeve hem makes an okay top edge and for me the sleeve was snug enough to stay up over my nose.  The angled sleeve seam makes one side longer for the front.

Gizmo2019

Thanks everyone. Ive seen those balaclavas on runners while standing in line at traders joes and wondering where to get them and if they are breathable. They do have ones that cover the nose i just saw..but youre right itd be too hot (and weird) to run in 40-50 degree mornings. i like the gaiter/buff. my husband also told me to go in my scarf and pull it up if someone comes by but like you said, Bill, id get tired of having to think about that and then pull it up. plus the scarf wont allow me to breathe nor would be tight enough to hold on its own. and omg, those prints are hilarious.

Half Crazy, i like those, they are also uv protection.

Thanks Chuck, great idea.

nika

Just a word of caution: the gaiters might be the most breathable and less sweaty face mask option for running, but they aren't actually very effective at filtering .

Here's an overview of different face mask materials and how well they filter small particles:

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-diy-coronavirus-homemade-mask-material-covid/

If you look for neck warmers in that list, it's at the bottom.

It's probably not an issue for running, when you are outside and keep your distance from people, but I wouldn't rely on them in shops or public transport.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thanks everyone. Ive seen those balaclavas on runners while standing in line at traders joes and wondering where to get them and if they are breathable. They do have ones that cover the nose i just saw..but youre right itd be too hot (and weird) to run in 40-50 degree mornings. i like the gaiter/buff. my husband also told me to go in my scarf and pull it up if someone comes by but like you said, Bill, id get tired of having to think about that and then pull it up. plus the scarf wont allow me to breathe nor would be tight enough to hold on its own. and omg, those prints are hilarious.

Half Crazy, i like those, they are also uv protection.

Thanks Chuck, great idea.

Hoo rag is the brand I use.

They're not hard to breath with NORMALLY when they're worn for the purpose their intended (keeping your face warm, NOT protecting you against a virus) and running wearing a mask will be hard. Try running and ONLY breathing through a straw as a test run. This will give you a slight idea of how restrictive you'd want breathing to be while running to protect youself.

To get any kind of "protection" that's actually going to be effective you need 4 layers of a hoo rag AND a paper towel (like Scott's blue shop towel) in the middle because the balaclavas/hoorags have large pores and you'd need a lot of layers to try and make it anything like a mask. I've worn them in winter and I'll tell you my breath can fog my glasses up which tells me there is nothing stopping a virus 5 MICRONS in size from getting in. They just look funny which is half the reason I wear them.

Honestly, as soon as you're thinking about running wearing a mask, just don't go running. Staying COVID free is more important and trying to find a way to restrict your breathing to go running is a horrible idea.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Joann Y

Hoo rag is the brand I use.

They're not hard to breath with NORMALLY when they're worn for the purpose their intended (keeping your face warm, NOT protecting you against a virus) and running wearing a mask will be hard. Try running and ONLY breathing through a straw as a test run. This will give you a slight idea of how restrictive you'd want breathing to be while running to protect youself.

To get any kind of "protection" that's actually going to be effective you need 4 layers of a hoo rag AND a paper towel (like Scott's blue shop towel) in the middle because the balaclavas/hoorags have large pores and you'd need a lot of layers to try and make it anything like a mask. I've worn them in winter and I'll tell you my breath can fog my glasses up which tells me there is nothing stopping a virus 5 MICRONS in size from getting in. They just look funny which is half the reason I wear them.

Honestly, as soon as you're thinking about running wearing a mask, just don't go running. Staying COVID free is more important and trying to find a way to restrict your breathing to go running is a horrible idea.

Not 5 microns in size. That's the size of a red blood cell. More like way way less than 1 micron. Google says 0.125. Anywho. Carry on.

Info for the less informed:

Masks/facecoverings are not to protect YOU, they are to protect others FROM you.

Do not go out under the illusion that a mask/covering will protect you from infection. Their main purpose is to keep your possibly virus-ridden spittle from getting on things and people. 5 microns or not, it's hard for droplets to get through from your exhalations because they are larger than that, and the virus is stuck to them; not free-floating.

Also, it's just polite behavior to cover your face near people, because some are REALLY stressed out about it. Even if you think it's balderdash, be polite.

Image may contain: possible text that says 'Covid-19 Carrier Contagion Probability MODERATE το HIGH Covid 19 Carrier Contagion Probability MUCH LOWER Covid-19 Carrier Contagion Probability LOW'

Running Problem

Problem Child

Not 5 microns in size. That's the size of a red blood cell. More like way way less than 1 micron. Google says 0.125. Anywho. Carry on.

Which tells you just how hard it would be to breath while exercising, and just how much protection you'd need. AS I SAID...Just don't go running if you're concerned about contracting COVID 19 from the public on a run. More important things to worry about like correcting people on the internet about the size of a virus particle.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Joann Y

Which tells you just how hard it would be to breath while exercising, and just how much protection you'd need. AS I SAID...Just don't go running if you're concerned about contracting COVID 19 from the public on a run. More important things to worry about like correcting people on the internet about the size of a virus particle.

Whatevs dude. Keep talking.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Whatevs dude. Keep talking.

I acknowledge you correcting me, use the information you provided to elaborate on my initial response, and this is the response I get. Good to know. You didn't offer anything to his question about breathing or maintaining distance. You just came here to correct what I said about the size of a virus. I'm glad you dropped in.

VDOT 53.37