Face mask while running (Read 323 times)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

My wife's friend was at Kroger yesterday without a face mask but minding her own business and staying away from people. Some lady came up into her face, pulled down her own face mask to intentionally cough into our friend's face. Apparently this crazy lady was going up to everyone in Kroger who wasn't covering their face and intentionally coughing in their faces as a way of public shaming. They called the police but they could really only take down her description in case she returned.

Masks which aren't N95, the #1 protection from others is to remind you to not touch your face with contaminated fingers. This is easier said than done when you aren't used to wearing it. You aren't really touching other people or surfaces while running so I don't see the benefit in wearing masks while running while maintaining distance.

In a grocery store where you are forced to touch many surfaces, I carry a cloth dampened with very diluted bleach to keep on the cart handle and to grab things to make sure my hands don't touch contaminated surfaces. I still wear a N95 mask when I am out but I make sure my hands stay sanitized. My hands have a slight smell of bleach but I maintain my own pool so I am used to the smell. 1-2 tablespoons of bleach per gallon of water is enough to sanitize but diluted enough to not stain your clothes.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

mikeymike

Masks which aren't N95, the #1 protection from others is to remind you to not touch your face with contaminated fingers.

That's just not my understanding at all. Everything I've read (including the CDC guidelines themselves) says that the reason behind the recommendation to wear face masks in public settings is to slow asymptomatic spread through speaking and breathing in close proximity to others.

By the by, I've never been in a Kroger but every story I've ever heard that was set in a Kroger involves some batshit crazy behavior.

Runners run

By the by, I've never been in a Kroger but every story I've ever heard that was set in a Kroger involves some batshit crazy behavior.

It’s just a regular grocery store chain big in many regions. I’m sure the same thing could happen in your local Wegmans. People be crazy everywhere.

Dave

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

wear face masks in public settings is to slow asymptomatic spread 

That is true for someone who is asymptomatic and keeping it contained in their mouth like you are saying. What I meant was wearing a mask for protection from other people.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

mikeymike

I've never been in a Wegmans either, and I know grocery store chains be cray. Hello, our local chain had a famous family feud, employee lockout and lawsuits that turned into a documentary series.

I just don't like to let an opportunity to take a shot at Kroger go by, in homage to the old swamp and RA. 'Sup TONS??

mta: updated link

Runners run

runnerswhirled

Which tells you just how hard it would be to breath while exercising, and just how much protection you'd need. AS I SAID...Just don't go running if you're concerned about contracting COVID 19 from the public on a run. More important things to worry about like correcting people on the internet about the size of a virus particle.

brah, is this like your first time on the internets?  that's what people do.

I acknowledge you correcting me, use the information you provided to elaborate on my initial response, and this is the response I get. 

haha.  check the bold. like nimmals.  you throw out your swipe at people then forget about it.

fun catching up with yall.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I suspect the same.  If it were otherwise, it seems by this point we'd be hearing a lot more about construction workers getting it, people who ran the LA marathon in March getting it, etc.

People are scared, and when they are scared they grasp on to talismans - something visible and obvious that if they and everyone else can just do, we'll all be safe and this will go away.  I think that's the appeal of masks.

Nailed it.

As for jersey...

New Jersey can keep their douchbags with  enough time to walk around posting signs telling other people what to do. I'm sure it is considered courteous to tell people what to do there. I'll cut my arm off in volatile fashion unless it's one of the two or three people I know living in New York currently.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

I've never been in a Wegmans either, and I know grocery store chains be cray. Hello, our local chain had a famous family feud, employee lockout and lawsuits that turned into a documentary series.

I just don't like to let an opportunity to take a shot at Kroger go by, in homage to the old swamp and RA. 'Sup TONS??

mta: updated link

'Sup MIKES? By the by, please refer to it as The Kroger's. Thanks in advance!

I saw two ladies this morning running together in winter parkas.  It was nearly 50 degrees.     I was overdressed in a long sleeve shirt.

Re: masks, I don't wear one and I am running a lot these days.  I just avoid people.

I officially look like a running noob nowadays.  It has been a slow devolution from reasonably fit runner in the latest tech gear to hobby running with dog in sweatpants and sweatshirt in the dark morning not caring what I look like.  Yeah, but I see what you all mean about spotting new runners by their gear in general.  One thing is for sure, the virus has sent many people outside to exercise that were not there before.

No mask for me outdoors, unless on a crowded trail.  I have a backup bandana for that situation.  I have personal experience running and biking in an N95 mask during the fires we had in California a while back.  I do not recommend it in general even if you have access to these specialized masks.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Joann Y

I'm not wearing one while running. Much more likely that I'll pick it up at work. Probably more of a question of when I will pick it up at work. And that's kind of the thing. From my perspective, all of the mask wearing and precautions are to slow things down not to completely eliminate the possibility of contracting the virus. In the hospital, it's all about counting how many beds are available, how many vents are available, how many deaths we've got, how many non-sick nurses, doctors, phlebotomists we've got to work with. It's a balancing act of making sure we've got the capacity to handle those that get sick enough to be hospitalized and to be able to continue to handle the non-covid folks. It's not really a matter of getting it but when and how bad you get it. The big cities are tough and all the things should be done. Otherwise, kind of a question mark on things as far as I see it.

Instead of calling them masks, we should call them muzzles, because that's a more accurate description of their use.

A muzzle doesn't keep a dog from getting bit, it keeps them from biting other dogs.

That's the purpose of the face coverings, to keep people from possibly spreading the virus, not to keep them from getting it.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Joann Y

Instead of calling them masks, we should call them muzzles, because that's a more accurate description of their use.

A muzzle doesn't keep a dog from getting bit, it keeps them from biting other dogs.

That's the purpose of the face coverings, to keep people from possibly spreading the virus, not to keep them from getting it.

I get the idea.

MTA: I should have worded what I was saying better. In any case, it's going to spread.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I get the idea.

MTA: I should have worded what I was saying better. In any case, it's going to spread.

My personal theory has been that, even if I get it eventually, it's in my interest to delay that as much as possible.  It seems like there is more learning and discovery every week about the proper way to manage this illness.  I would personally like to benefit from that learning curve as much as possible.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

My personal theory has been that, even if I get it eventually, it's in my interest to delay that as much as possible.  It seems like there is more learning and discovery every week about the proper way to manage this illness.  I would personally like to benefit from that learning curve as much as possible.

Yes, this.

I have a feeling that after testing becomes available a lot of us will find out we had it and didn't even know it.

Meanwhile, we have to act as if we DO have it, and try not to infect those people who are at risk for severe symptoms (elderly, obese, diabetic, smoker/vaper/stoner with reduced lung function, people undergoing chemo treatments, have immune deficiency illness or under medication that reduces function, etc).

Hopefully the "do unto others" rule is in effect, and people will try not to infect us as well.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

. . . phlebotomists . . .

Phlebotomist ba da bu dah bah. . . Phelbotomist du di di da . . .

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do