Face mask while running (Read 323 times)

Joann Y

My personal theory has been that, even if I get it eventually, it's in my interest to delay that as much as possible.  It seems like there is more learning and discovery every week about the proper way to manage this illness.  I would personally like to benefit from that learning curve as much as possible.

That makes sense to me. Things have changed for sure since this started (the use of ventilators for example) and will continue to evolve. There is some balance between feasibility and safety which seems to be different for each person and hard to define for society let alone the world as a whole. My brain hurts thinking about all of it. I'm glad that there are much smarter people than me making the recommendations.

Joann Y

Phlebotomist ba da bu dah bah. . . Phelbotomist du di di da . . .

I would love to go on a coronajog together (6-15 ft apart) just so I can hear you sing this.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I have a feeling that after testing becomes available a lot of us will find out we had it and didn't even know it.

When I can finally get an antibody test (which I am impatiently waiting for), if it comes back positive, I will know when I had it. If you were to look at my log, it's kinda obvious in there too.

DaBurger

No one thinks to go on the internet and say, "you know? I ran into the most normal people during my grocery store trip and I found everything I needed!"

Know thyself.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

When I can finally get an antibody test (which I am impatiently waiting for), if it comes back positive, I will know when I had it. If you were to look at my log, it's kinda obvious in there too.

I feel like everyone thinks they have it. So many people say "I had a terrible illness in February, nothing like I've had before, had to be it." It'll be interesting if people actually did have it. The fact that over 20% of people in NYC have had it shows that it's way more prominent than people think, but if you don't live in the tri-state area, it makes it highly unlikely. I mean I live in NYC, was in China in the first week of January, and got ill 5 days later with a fever and body aches that knocked me out for a few days, and I still don't think I had it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mikeymike

Mass General did a study of 200 random people in Chelsea, MA who had not tested positive. 60 of them had antibodies. But that's a small sample in one especially hard hit town in Greater Boston.

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Meanwhile, we have to act as if we DO have it, and try not to infect those people who are at risk for severe symptoms (elderly, obese, diabetic, smoker/vaper/stoner with reduced lung function, people undergoing chemo treatments, have immune deficiency illness or under medication that reduces function, etc).

I don't want to be feeling smug about being healthy and fit, so that getting COVID19 won't be a big deal. I keep reading accounts of runners and other athletes who had horrendous experiences with it, and still are not back to normal. There are concerns about permanent lung damage, etc.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mass General did a study of 200 random people in Chelsea, MA who had not tested positive. 60 of them had antibodies. But that's a small sample in one especially hard hit town in Greater Boston.

Yeah both a small sample size, and one of the hardest hit areas perhaps in the country. That would be like testing some of these communities in Queens and trying to extrapolate to all of the tri-state area (not that you're doing that, just pointing it out). I'd also be very careful about where you go to get your antibody test: some of these false positives in these tests are alarming and make the tests effectively useless.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I hope we don't get it, but I'm realistic.  My dad is in hospice on Austin. His caregivers have been super careful, but one of them managed to get a BAD case of strep last month (she ended up in the hospital).  It was kind of a wakeup call for me - if she got strep, it would be easy for me to get COVID-19.

Joann Y

I'd also be very careful about where you go to get your antibody test: some of these false positives in these tests are alarming and make the tests effectively useless.

Right. We're trying to bring it up at our large hospital system and it's just not turning out to be that great of a test. Not that reliable particularly if the prevalence of the disease is low on the population being tested. Right now it seems like it might be good for identifying people that tested positive before and have recovered to see if they would be a good candidate for donating plasma to treat other patients.

I don't want to be feeling smug about being healthy and fit, so that getting COVID19 won't be a big deal. I keep reading accounts of runners and other athletes who had horrendous experiences with it, and still are not back to normal. There are concerns about permanent lung damage, etc.

Yes, very healthy people HAVE contracted it and needed medical care, but it's rare. We sure aren't immune to the possibility of hospital visit or death just because we run.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MoBramExam

I'm glad that there are much smarter people than me making the recommendations.

Maybe...maybe not??

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yeah both a small sample size, and one of the hardest hit areas perhaps in the country. That would be like testing some of these communities in Queens and trying to extrapolate to all of the tri-state area (not that you're doing that, just pointing it out). I'd also be very careful about where you go to get your antibody test: some of these false positives in these tests are alarming and make the tests effectively useless.

Just don't get tested and you don't have to worry about a false positive.

Locally we have 65% of people recovered. 300 deaths and 5,000 positive tests.

3 MILLION people are on lock down because 5,000 people have tested positive, 0.01% of people have died (most with underlying conditions and not JUST dead from Covid 19) and we're worried about false positives?

I'm glad the smart Governor of my state is deciding to keep us under quarantine for another two weeks. Just look at New York. Imagine how much worse it would be if we weren't locked down. Two months isn't enough time to know how this will come out and what kind of changes will be made if Coronavirus 2021 comes around? If we're going to shut the country down every time 0.01% of the population dies I want there to be a plan put together by the smart people of this state. Not some "fly by night/this FEELS right" type decision.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Today I ran with seeing another person.

on Tuesday I only saw one person a city park worker

in a golf cart type vehicle on the trail

Half Crazy K 2.0

Right. We're trying to bring it up at our large hospital system and it's just not turning out to be that great of a test. Not that reliable particularly if the prevalence of the disease is low on the population being tested. Right now it seems like it might be good for identifying people that tested positive before and have recovered to see if they would be a good candidate for donating plasma to treat other patients.

The plasma donation is one of the reasons I want to get the test if it would be easily available. It also will help with deciding how much I want to push for getting a pnuemonia shot (had that as the kicker to the unspecified viral illness). Being younger than the usual age range for the shot and not having any preexisting conditions means insurance would likely laugh. Whatever I had did not care that I was a runner who ran a PR 2 weeks prior.