Foot/Hand Warmers (Read 592 times)

Giant

What brand do you use? I wore a pair of foot warmers last week and they didn't stay warm. I opened 3 other packages and they didn't stay warm either. They are "Heat Factory" Angry
    xor

Little Hotties! I can get these at REI and sometimes the neighborhood supermarket. They come in a 6 hour, 8 hour, and (I think) 10 hour version. The 6s tend to punk out on me after a couple. The 8s are great for long runs and marathons. I tried the 10s at a 50 miler and they seemed to get too hot. I've never had a pack *not* work, at least for awhile. LL Bean also makes some. They work fine too.

Best Present Ever

Funny, my husband and daughter used them when they went to the inauguration last week. The hand warmers were great. In fact, the screening guy put my daughter's gloves in the purse of the lady behind her for some reason, and my daughter, being 8, didn't speak up until it was too late. She was very grateful to have the handwarmers for the 6 gloveless hours she spent in the cold. But my husband said the toe warmers were pratically useless.
        mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Part of how they work involves a chemical reaction with the air, so to get them really working leave them out on the table for 10 or 15 minutes before putting them in anything. And for the ones for your feet, they work better (i.e. stay hot) on the top of your foot than on the bottom. Of course, it's always your toes that get cold, so people tend to use them under their toes - which is why most people think they're useless. Not as much airflow there.
          jeffdonahue

I dont remember the brand, but I tried a set out a week or so ago when the temps got really low. I left them out for 10-15 minutes prior to my run, and I bought these cool glove liners that have a pocket for them. but they never really got hot (luke warm, but not hot enough to help that day) so I was very disappointed. I may try some other brands though before I totally give up on the concept on cold days.
            coastwalker

I've been using hand warmers, but they haven't done an adequate job of keeping my hands warm either. So I started wearing lightweight gloves inside my lmittens, and that works better than any hand warmers, so far. Thankfully, my feet don't get that cold, so I haven't had to use any kind of warmers in my shoes. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Best Present Ever

Part of how they work involves a chemical reaction with the air, so to get them really working leave them out on the table for 10 or 15 minutes before putting them in anything. And for the ones for your feet, they work better (i.e. stay hot) on the top of your foot than on the bottom. Of course, it's always your toes that get cold, so people tend to use them under their toes - which is why most people think they're useless. Not as much airflow there.
                that makes sense, thanks.