Race Report: Cracked Ribs... (Read 375 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Over the Fourth of July weekend I managed to stupidly crack three ribs. Since then, I've not been able to run or really work out at all. Anyone who's ever been side-lined from an injury can probably attest: nothing makes you want to run more than the inability to run. My doctor said they were hairline fractures and that there was nothing to do but wait. I think I must heal quickly because after a week of a lot of pain + an inability to sit up in bed (laughing and sneezing REALLY hurt too) I was finally feeling better this weekend, so I decided to run in the Park-to-Park 10K I had singed up for a while back. I ran it with my fiance, which I've never done before (in a race, but we have run together). Usually I start on the line or as close to it as I can and run in the low 6min pace. This time I started with her, mid pack (3,989 runners). It was a really weird but good/learning experience: First, I had no idea that after the horn blew, it took so long to walk to the starting line! I think the clock was about to click over to 4 minutes when we got there and there were a LOT of people behind us still. We could not really run for a few more minutes after crossing the line since so many other people refused to start running, and were still walking. Annoying. Eventually we got to a trott that I could handle then slowly upped it to about a 10 minute pace. Gwen, my fiance, usually runs around this, so it worked out well for both of us and my ribs were managable--they hurt a bit, but the prospect of not running hurts way more. It was hot; we managed this pace for the first 4 miles. Then I needed to walk a bit becuse the ribs were really achy, so we walked a mile. Gwen was fine with this too, like I said, it was hot. Walking is also something I've never done in a race. Wow. It was hard to do at first, but not so bad afterall! We walked and talked & at mile 5 we started up again. Mile 5 to 6.2 was the fasted we clocked (~9:30 pace). We finished the race holding hands. It was fun. I learned that even if I'm injured, I can still participate, I just need to take things slowly and listen to my body. I also learned some patience; the whole race, when someone would pass us, I wanted to sprint past them. I could EASILY dust these people how dare they pass me! But actually, I couldn't. I'm injured and it really hurt to push it any faster. It was humbling and I learned I don't have to finish in the top 1% or PR to have a good time. After the race, the outdoor mega pool (the race was in Central Park) was open for a few hours to participants only. It was great; we floated around for about two hours & swam some laps. Even played marco-pollo... I haven't done that since I was 5. I plan to run today at lunch and hopefully by this weekend I'll be even better so I can get some long runs in (I should be doing 12 this Sunday for marathon training). I think I'll take it slow. I'll worry about speed when the ribs are back to normal. :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

You didn't say how you cracked your ribs? I did the same thing a few years back. It was in the fall and getting dark. I decided to squeeze in 3 miles. at mile two, I reached over to hit my watch and wasn't concentrating on the dark path and hit a lip in the pavement. I went down like a ton of bricks and because my hand was on my watched, didn't have time to brace myself. The result was the same as yours. it was several weeks before I could breathe enough without pain to run and a good 5-6 weeks (or more) before they healed. It sucked big time.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

ultramarathon/triathlete

Um, sadly, I was coming down my spiral staircase when gwen was going up with a glass of water. Instead of being a gentleman and waiting for her to come up, I decided we could both fit (we're thin!) and I squeezed by. I spilled her water. Then I slipped on the wet step, shot down the stairs, landed on my feet (knees locked though, ouch!) and hit my ribs on part of the stairs that sticks out as I went down. Gwen was fine. I cracked 3 ribs and had the wind knocked out of me. Yes, I had been drinking (a lot) at the time. Blush Probably only reason it did not hurt right away. funny though, I remember thinking (after I got the wind knocked out of me and could not breathe): "Wow, I must be in great shape, I don't need any oxygen." Roll eyes

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team