2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

weatherboy80

True, but somehow I can't capitalize on all this heat training come fall and winter Wink

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

75+ always gets a cookie. 80+ gets a trophy. Only weather and Andres have a trophy so far this year I think

I would like to humbly submit that the trophy for running in an 80+ degree dew point be named the Moist Mug.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

M_M_C

I wouldn't wish the heat upon anyone, but I'm glad I'm not suffering alone out there. Northeast has been brutal. Travelling to Pensacola, FL for work the next few days; temps look like they'll be in the 90's with rain, so looks like i'll be sticking to the treadmill.

Another sub par week from me. Mileage is up from last week to 54, but I still am not close to 100%. Pain migrated away from my glute to my hip, still on the same time. Its a lot easier to deal with, but still can't put in the mileage I'd like to.

Had a decent 4 mile race on the 4th. Ran 22:22 (PR of 20:48 on the course) which is about the same pace I've been doing the 20 min "ET" WO's on the track at in oppressive temperature/humidity, but not much else.

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

MMC: Sorry to hear the injuries haven't subsided, but that's a strong 4 miler and still decent mileage. At least you can run with the hip issue.

DW: Thanks for the Adizero perspective. After reading that I looked to see if any of the 2's were available but not surprisingly looks like they are obsolete now. I'm leaning more towards the VFs for my next marathon as they don't aggravate my PF and thus I will probably tend towards using them for long runs with quality for the remainder of this cycle.

Another week of hot and humid weather as MMC noted. I got in my hard workout in reasonable conditions Tuesday morning; after that it has been pretty rough the rest of the week weather-wise. Today's long run was awful: sweating insane amounts (lost 8 lbs) and the horseflies were the worst I've ever dealt with. I sped up for a couple miles to try to get rid of a swarm of them, which kind of worked, but also wore me out for the rest of the run. Wanted to do 22 but had to cut it short. The only good thing about that run was seeing a bear at 6 miles. I should have turned around after that and gone home, since that is when the horseflies launched their assault.

As awful as it would be in this heat, I am thinking to wear a sweatshirt to deal with the horseflies biting my back/shoulders.

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Jul 01, 2019 thru Sunday, Jul 07, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
          Tue 13.5 7:04 Morning Run w/ 5 mi tempo @ 6:06 avg 491 strava
          Wed 6.2 8:46 Morning Run 354 strava
          Thu 14.4 8:10 MLR 768 strava
          Fri 10.1 8:34 Morning Run 512 strava
          Sat 6.4 9:26 Hot & muggy trail run 233 strava
          Sun 18.2 8:09 Long run from hell 883 strava
            68.8 8:10   3241  

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - I remember you talking about the horseflies last year, so glad I don’t have to deal with that. I guess they’re just like mosquitos in the sense that they will bite through thin layers of clothing. I guess wearing bug spray every day would be bad, or does it not even work? There must be some other solution vs. wearing a sweatshirt in this weather!

MMC - you took a chance with a huge increase in mileage, sometimes it works and sometimes it bites you in the ass.

Me - reached a new high for me in days in a row running at 13. I know that’s not impressive on this board, but as someone who usually runs 5-6 days a week, 13 was a lot for me and I paid for it with a terrible workout on Friday morning that I had to abort. The heat and humidity obviously does not help either. I felt much better today on my long run after a day off so I think it was just a bit much for my body. I forgot how much I enjoy running 200/400 meter repeats though. There’s something so satisfying about them that I feel like I just don’t get with marathon training. May go up a bit in mileage as I’ve been running right around 60-62 for a few weeks now.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description Link
            Mon 7.9 7:46 Evening Run strava
            Tue 10.9 8:01 Evening Run strava
            Wed 10.1 7:49 4x200, 8x400, 4x200 strava
            Thu 7.9 8:12 Morning Run strava
            Fri 2.0 8:16 Morning Run strava
            Fri 3.1 6:58 4x200 + 2x1T strava
            Fri 3.6 8:05 Morning Run strava
            Sun 16.0 8:03 Afternoon Run strava
              61.5 7:57

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cinnamon girl

JMac: agree with Slammin - sub-18 off little is decent. But that's old news. Welcome back to running harder than easy! And re: 400s - who doesn't love them. 13 days in a row is significant in my book. I can't remember - are you really targeting these 5ks or are they just added to the mix of your training for stimulus? As for the glutes - the guy I used to go to said I needed to do the lax ball action all around the bone at the attachment sites with ART to break up scar tissue. I don't know - it is so hard to know sometimes if you're supposed to work a specific area or just stay in the periphery.

oh my god that sounds awful JT !! Horseflies are infuriating. They just keep circling and circling. Frickin nasty! I had wanted 22 today too and only did 18 but I just quit, had no excuse   (well I had to get to work so there's that) Anyways, good week as per usual - nice 5 mi on Tuesday.

Only got 60 last week. 6 runs with 4 easy runs plus a 12 mi w/4 mi (6:26) in upper 80s temps and 18 mi (7:26) in lower 80s.

Was absent last week as both my kids were visiting over my bday  I think that week it was ~55 mi with no workouts I don't think only a long run of 17.5 mi in the 7:30s

slingrunner

It's been hot in Philly, but it seems like it's been pleasant here compared to what some of you have been going through.

I decided not to do a fall marathon, and I have no meaningful races planned for the moment.  Haven't done any speedwork in over a month.  Life's too busy at the moment selling and cleaning out two houses, with an instant family with young kids now living with me.  But it's fun, and I'm super high energy.

I'm not sure how it's going to go, but I'm going to try and run a 40 miler on my 40th birthday this Friday.  Since Boston, I've been averaging about 30mpw.  I've make sure to maintain a long run of about 14-16 just about every week.  I'm assuming if I take it slow and walk some, I've run enough mileage over the last few years my body should be able to handle it.  I wish I had gotten a few longer runs in, but I've run up to 50 miles before, and I'm planning to run 2.8 mile loops to help from a hydration standpoint.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

weatherboy80

Hope folks are staying cool!

MMC: Don't to be hard on yourself as mid 50's and a decent 4 mile race coming off an injury is nothing to sneeze at!  Glad you're able to run through it though.

JT:  Nice big LR and that does sound like hell from what your described.  Bugs drive me nuts but thankfully most of ours don't bite.  Really like that 5 mile tempo as well.

JMac: Congrats on the running streak.  Agree as tend to like the 200/400 reps from time to time as well.

Cinnamon: Nice looking couple of weeks!

Me: Kept it going this past week getting in just over 80 miles for the 2nd consecutive week.  Really happy with my cruise interval workout on Wednesday especially considering the heat.  Seems like mile threshold repeats are the way to run through the heat here as I was able to hit a water hose after each mile to cool down a bit.  Also surprised myself with an unplanned 4 mile progression on Sunday (after my Saturday LR).  Will have a few days completely off this coming weekend as my wife and I celebrate our 15th anniversary so this will be a drop back week, but think I'm leaning towards racing the 10 mile event that I mentioned last week come mid August.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Description Link
                  Mon 10.5 7:31 Honestly think 7AM is the worst time of day to run 🤔 strava
                  Mon 5.2 7:45 Dreadmill miles strava
                  Tue 10.3 7:56 🚀 + strides strava
                  Wed 3.1 7:45 Warm up + strides strava
                  Wed 5.2 5:52 5 X 1T w/ 1:15 rest strava
                  Wed 3.1 7:33 Melt down strava
                  Wed 4.2 7:41 A few more miles in the heat 🔥😎 strava
                  Thu 10.1 7:52 Happy 4th! strava
                  Fri 7.3 7:33 EZ + strides strava
                  Sat 16.5 7:45 Morning Run strava
                  Sun 5.5 6:25 1E + 4mi progression + 0.5 c/d strava
                    81.0 7:32    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I wanna say you guys are putting up some serious work at high temps. Getting down below 7:30 for a long run in these kind of temperatures is crazy good.

Cinnamon - thanks! Luckily, it was just a bad flare up that went away after about 5 days. I was extra cautious and took an extra easy day + no strides to let it heal a bit. Also, happy belated.

Weather - As usual, you’re nailing your workouts. Hopefully you will think about the advice given at the end of the Boston cycle. I think you can keep nailing it like this all summer but once racing time comes around, dial it back more. If you do that, you will be the best person on here following a hard/easy principle for the under 40 crowd (DW and Nimmals are unfortunately way ahead in the over 40 crowd )

Frank Meza - really sad stuff, but I generally agree with DW’s take on this both over in the sub 3:20 and on LRC. As usual, she puts everything very eloquently. I understand the point regarding outing one’s employer generally not being acceptable, but if it was just the fact that he coached young men in track, I think this is different when you are specifically accused of cheating at the sport you are coaching. Either way, I feel very sorry for his family and wish that he had look out for counseling before crossing “that line.” There will certainly be a lot of self-reflection over the next few days and hopefully those who did any bullying will really think about their actions (there were a lot in that original LRC thread, but certainly some in the media as well as it went more mainstream)

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Happy birthday, Cinnamon ( belated)!

I dealt with horseflies all the time when I rode horses (makes sense, doesn't it....).  Those suckers HURT when they bite.  And...the horses KNOW that they hurt when they bite, so a horsefly landing on a horse's back pretty much guarantees a lot of hopping around and "airs above the ground" by the horse to get the horsefly off.   Which is no fun for the rider, and even more reason to hate horseflies.

Here's my last week (late).  Just a lot of hills and a bit of aerobic work.  No long runs, no track, nothing superhard.

56 miles, 18 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming
                      M: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running
                      T: 10 miles, including 6 long hill repeats (~2:00 up, ~1:30 jog, ~30 second stride, ~60 second jog); followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                      W: 8 miles very easy (9:00), drills, strides, yoga, and 4 miles very easy (8:58)
                      Th: Upper body weights, core, and 9.5 "miles" pool-running
                      F: 12 miles, including alternating two 60-70 second hill reps with 2:30 recovery and 10 minutes at tempo effort with 1:30 recovery. Did 2 hill reps, 10:00 tempo (6:44), 2 hill reps, 10:00 tempo (6:42), 2 hill reps. Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                      Sa: 10 miles easy (9:08) plus drills, strides, upper body strength/core, DIY yoga
                      Su: 12 miles, including 7 long hill repeats (~2:00 up, ~1:30 jog, ~30 second stride, ~60 second jog); followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.

Friday I didn't get started until late, so the dewpoint was a whopping 77.  Which is why tempo effort gave me something close to marathon pace.

This week has been eventful, and it's only Tuesday.  The low point (so far) was yesterday morning, with some spectacular flash flooding.

This picture is from the location where my team usually meets on weekends to run.  That is not a flood prone location.  Until now, apparently.

We have quite a few places that are prone to flash flooding, and those were all disasters, as expected.  But what was crazy was how much flooding there was in places that are not normally flooding concerns.

[and yes, my partner and I, our cats, and our possessions are all fine - I feel pretty lucky.]

Unexpected highlight - this morning I was running down to Hains Point when I encountered an unexpected chain link fence - apparently the fencing from last week's fireworks is still up.  After chatting with a helpful public works person, I mapped out a detour.  There was another runner there also apparently surprised by the fencing, so I related the detour to him, and then we both took off.

Apparently that other runner was jayluf.  Neat!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Frank Meza - really sad stuff, but I generally agree with DW’s take on this both over in the sub 3:20 and on LRC. As usual, she puts everything very eloquently. I understand the point regarding outing one’s employer generally not being acceptable, but if it was just the fact that he coached young men in track, I think this is different when you are specifically accused of cheating at the sport you are coaching. Either way, I feel very sorry for his family and wish that he had look out for counseling before crossing “that line.” There will certainly be a lot of self-reflection over the next few days and hopefully those who did any bullying will really think about their actions (there were a lot in that original LRC thread, but certainly some in the media as well as it went more mainstream)

I doubt it....there will always be keyboard warriors/bullying online, whether it’s running related or any other topic in general. Did he have mental issues? Was he a blatant narcissist cheat? Just ask the internet!

Cinnamon - Happy 40th Birthday!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

72 mile week also had a 4 mile race where i think its my fastest 4 miler Ive run faster splits enrout to 10Ks and 8ks in races in early spring but this is a hot weather 4 mile PR 21:40. Wasn't even racing so i was pretty surprised. I didn't wear a team singlet wanted to have fun ended up with a great time.

JT I'm still laughing at Gebrehewit. Kejelcha was like mmmm maybe maybe not let me just go. he was almost run down what a fun race.

DATE  TYPE PLACE EFFORT DISTANCE  DURATION PACE  LINK
                          7/7/2019 Run   EASY 4.2 mi 37:13 8:54
                          7/7/2019 Run   EASY 17.2 mi 2:25:09 8:27
                          7/6/2019 Run   EASY 4.2 mi 36:19 8:39
                          7/6/2019 Run   EASY 12.2 mi 1:51:55 9:12
                          7/5/2019 Run

Bike PATH

Easy 12.0 mi 1:40:33 8:23
                          7/4/2019 Run   COOLDOWN 2.5 mi 24:35 9:50
                          7/4/2019 Run  RACE RACE 4.0 mi 21:40 5:25
                          7/4/2019 Run   WARMUP 1.2 mi 21:33 18:07
                          7/3/2019 Run   EASY 4.0 mi 37:04 9:22
                          7/2/2019 Run   WORKOUT 7.1 mi 1:06:27 9:23
                          7/1/2019 Run   EASY 6.3 mi 1:09:26 11:02

Mileage

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Cinnamon: Happy Birthday!

Nimmals: I really don;t see how he could make that mistake; they call it the bell lap for a reason; they ring a loud-ass bell when the lap begins! Although the ending was dramatic I was disappointed they let the pace slide in the middle; was hoping to see Kejelcha put down a really fast time. But apparently it was hot so it might not have been the time for it.  I really think Kejelcha and Barega have potential to go under 12:40, but it will need to be set up with pacers and have perfect conditions. Great job on the 4-mile race BTW!

JMac: I do spray my hat and back/shoulders with OFF before runs where I know the horseflies will be bad (the more hot and humid it is, the worse they will be), but that only lasts a few miles, then it either gets washed out with the sweat or they just power through it. They easily bite through a t-shirt but I know they can't get through a sweatshirt.  Nice consistent running for you; I think it will yield some good results soon.

Weather: You've been sneaking in some really good quality this past week; those mile repeats looked great. Will be interesting to see what you can do in the 10-mile race.

DW:  Nice hill-work. Also cool that you ran into (pun intended) jayluf.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

This may be an odd question, but anyone ever run a race on a runway before? Considering changing my race next weekend to one at an airport. It’s a) a cool experience b) guaranteed to be completely flat and c) on Saturday, which I prefer over the Sunday race I originally had planned. Only concern is that it could be scorching hot out there with absolutely zero tree coverage and also nothing to block any potential wind.

JT - makes sense, I guess those sweatproof ones aren’t really meant for pouring sweat due to running

DW/Jayluf - great that you two ran into each other!

cinnamon girl

Thanks guys for the belateds. Didn't mean to ask for that but just mentioned it as my excuse for why not running much or posting

Happy 40th Slingrunner - 40 miles is crazy. I can't imagine. Hope you enjoy the experience. You're going to get trashed on your bday in the way a runner can do best!

Weather: another nice solid week. I would like to see more details of your workouts but then again, I probably couldn't relate to the paces anyhow. Happy Anniversary! Enjoy your weekend!

Slammin: I'm sure you know sometimes when we just relax to have fun, we end up having a good time.

Mikkey 40. LOL. Thanks! I wish.

JMac: no from here as experience on a runway but why do you think it's a cool experience? - it's just flat barren concrete and why is saturday better than sunday? I guess I have no input  maybe if its a mile race but if its a 5k I'm not so sure.