2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

JMac: I remember flyrunner ran a 1 mile race on an airport runway; maybe he can chime in on how it was if he is lurking.

2:52:16 (2018)

jayluf

JMac - I ran a 5k on the Dulles airport runway a few years ago. It was fall, so can’t really speak to how hot the asphalt was, but was a really cool experience!

DW - oddly as soon as i took off I thought to myself, I bet she was Darkwave!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks guys. I agree it's weird for a 5K instead of a mile, but still may try it!

cinammon - I like 5Ks on Saturdays more for 2 reasons: (1) it allows me to run longer on Sunday and get more mileage in the for the week and (2) it allows me to actually have a normal dinner and maybe a few drinks on Saturday night . If you race on Sunday, you're sort of stuck with not being able to do much the entire weekend as you rest up for the race.

I also didn't answer your other questions about how I'm training. My true goal is to build a base for CIM training, where I'd like to get up to 80 MPW which would be a big high for me. I've run all of my past 4 marathons in the 60ish MPW range, so I know I need to keep the mileage up in the summer to prevent injury. However, I hate base building without something else to work for, so I figured 5K training would be perfect, as it would allow me to work on a lot of speed that I felt was really lacking in my last marathon buildup and have some races to look forward to. So this summer is focused on (a) getting up to around 70 MPW in prep for the bigger marathon cycle and (b) working on my speed while also trying to get some new 5K PRs. It's probably not perfect base building (becasue I have so much speed in there) and not perfect 5K training (because my mileage is so high that I'm running "very" long runs for a 5K and also longer than necessary easy runs) but I felt that this was the best thing for me.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Cinnamon,  you're so right. no pressure so much more rewarding.

JMAC what airport race is that.  Ive never done one but a lady I coach loves them she has done both day and night airport races. Her 5k PR was actually from an Airport race.  JFK  Runway 5k is in April when it is still cool out but times were slow.

JTReeves I guess Gebrehewit brain took a nap. I amazed Kejelcha was able to hang on.  I love when stuff like this happens it makes the sport more intresting like Kejelcha pantsing Barega last year at the same race in Lusanne. Or machuka punching Haile Gebreselassie because he got outkicked. that was by far the most bizzare don't forget it was our own Prandini revived the superman dive that Shaunae Miller used to deny Allison Felix her gold. And rememeber it was Prandini's dive that kept Allison Felix from representing the US at the Olympics in Rio so Shunae knew a dive would beat an upright uptight like Felix. j/k it rhymed. I love the drama except when it affects me lol.

KramRunner - thank you and nice job too. I really love seeing your weekly HillSprints.

Weatherboy - will love to hear about your 10 mile racenight. I bet it will still be hotter than our NYC high of the day.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nimmals - Teterboro airport has one next weekend if you're interested in traveling out to Jersey!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

kramrunner

Nothing much to report from me. I took a very easy week, with weekend fun in vegas my priority. Loads of fun and we even got to enjoy a nice soft shake from the quakes in Cali.

JMac: Looking fwd to seeing what you'll be able to do with that increased mileage as you've been knocking it out of the park so far.

Nimmals: Ha, cheers. I was going to just run easy miles this week, but you've inspired me to put hillsprints on the menu for the morning! That's a cracking 4mile time btw! You've got great range.

DW & Jayluf: Neat little weekend stalking you two got up too... that moist mug is a straight up shootout between Andres and weather!

Weather: Right back at it and giving a large finger to the heat, keep it up.

Cinnamon: Congrats... hope your 2 kids treated you to something nice.

JT: Really nice looking tempo run this week. Horseflies... shudder. Been ages since I've seen any, but they are easily as annoying as mosquitos, and I avoid any trail where even one of those suckers decides to reside.

Don't have much sympathy for that Meza chap. A complete and utter fraud. Very sad for the family he left behind to pick up the pieces,

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Kram - I never experienced an earthquake in my life until I was in Japan. They basically have quakes every day, but it was quite an odd feeling. The first few seconds were "what the hell is going on" and then you realize it. I guess Californians get that too, but I think they get them slightly less frequently

Speaking of California, I just booked my flight for CIM. $275 round trip from NYC non-stop, can't beat that! Never had to really travel for a marathon before (Boston was easy since it was a car ride), so it'll be a new experience. I definitely have gotten a few "you are weird" when I've told people I'm flying all the way across the country to just run a race and immediately fly back. I don't think they really understand the "but it's almost guaranteed good weather, good course, and good runners!" explanation.

ZZCaptainObvious

Fitchburg Festival of Speed 5K - 19:09.

It was pretty hot and I haven't been sleeping well. Either way, finished 6th overall male, so I qualified for the evening mile! I'm fully expecting to get absolutely crushed in the mile since the fastest mile I've run in the last 4 or 5 years is 5:51 and the 5K winner ran at that pace for the 5K. Maybe everyone else will decide that the mile is a dumb idea?

The 5K was okay. It's hilly for Madison though. Starts with a grinding half mile hill (only about 20 ft in .2 miles - it's really not much), then rolling, but the last mile has 55 ft of climbing in less than half a mile - again, not really that much, but noticeable. Started out in around 10th or 11th, settled in there and then just started dialing the pace up a little bit. Splits were 6:09, 6:23, 6:25, 15 (it was a little short, but I also definitely kicked hard).

So slower than hoped, but also pretty reasonable.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

ZZ - it's been brutal out there for racing. Good luck in the mile, luckily the heat doesn't really impact that race

Very happy with my week for the first time in a long time. I nailed my Tuesday workout which I completely bombed just 4 days prior. Not really sure what changed, as the weather wasn’t that much cooler. I also really enjoyed the 12x400 workout, I'm much better pacing them than I expected to be. Finally, my long run this Saturday was in much cooler conditions as I was in a more rural setting. Found a nice path with shade, where the run started at 130 TDP. I finally felt like a human during this run and was able to get the pace down throughout the run naturally. I was getting pretty burned out recently due to the heat (no pun intended) and just wasn't enjoying easy days as much. I think heat impacts me the most on those kinds of runs, as my easy pace has probably dropped a solid 60 seconds per mile this summer, which no calculator would predict. I think that's a good thing as I may have been a touch fast on my easy runs this spring when it was cooler.

4th straight week of 60+, really building in some consistency now which is my most important goal of the summer after the very inconsistent spring cycle. Should get another 65 this upcoming week with my 5K, then going to dip down a bit to get a break.

Weekly Summary
                    Monday, Jul 08, 2019 thru Sunday, Jul 14, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Day Miles Pace Description Link
                    Mon 8.9 8:10 Evening Run strava
                    Tue 2.0 8:18 Warm up strava
                    Tue 6.3 6:47 4x200 + 4x1T + 4x200 strava
                    Tue 2.1 8:51 Cool down strava
                    Wed 8.8 8:11 Evening Run strava
                    Thu 10.2 7:57 12x400 (avg 1:14) strava
                    Fri 9.0 8:22 Morning Run strava
                    Sat 17.0 7:21 Morning Run strava
                      64.3 7:51  

ZZCaptainObvious

1 Mile - 5:30

Everyone else thought that the mile was a good idea, so there were about 2/3 of the qualified folks on the line, which was pretty nice. Course is around a shopping area, running about 1 and a half laps, but it's relatively flat. I started out in seventh, passed a woman in the first 85 who promptly absolutely crushed me for the next 1400 (she won the morning 5K for the women while pushing a stroller with a sub 19).

I ended up catching one guy for sixth male at the halfway point. Despite that, I heard footsteps in the last 150 and tried my hardest to sprint it in.

All in all, pretty okay with this.

------------------------

And because I'm here (and tomorrow is probably a day off...)

Week 6/30-7/6: 34.7, including flying to and from Atlanta. 6.5, 3.8, Off, 5.8, Off, 5.6, 13.1; all easy, all relaxed

Week 7/7-7/14: 37. 4.2, 10 mi via 6x1mi @ 6:30 pace, 6, 2.2 (paged mid-run and dropped a sub 6 to get home), 5.5, 9 (with 5k and 1mi races)

Two lackluster weeks, but work got real busy the first week and then was on call the second week. Also, heat and humidity - but the work piece is a bigger factor.

JMac, that's a good week! And I'm a bit jealous of a sub 300 dollar flight from coast to coast. Small regional airport being way too expensive - flights make me a little sad.

Nimmals: The magic track in Monaco did not disappoint! How did you like Sifan's WR in the mile? Pretty amazing closing speed given the slow first 800m. I bet Muir is kicking herself for running the 800m instead of the mile. She could have been right up there and at minimum broken the British record.

Kram: Glad you had a good time in Vegas!

Captain: Nice work on the 5k/mile double. Sounds like you got some good racing in; it always helps when you can focus on reeling people in and aren't just running isolated against the clock.

JMac: Very solid week with great Q sessions and a strong long run. The 12 x 400 in 74 is impressive; that bodes well for your upcoming 5ks.

My week was not what I hoped for; wanted to get in a good hard workout of mile repeats but a combination of too much at work and too little sleep made me keep it easy all week. I had a decent long run at least today. We fly out tomorrow for 2 weeks vacation in Italy & Romania so the mileage and quality will be dropped down for me; hopefully I can get in enough to maintain fitness. Only 8 weeks until Erie...

Weekly Summary
                        Monday, Jul 08, 2019 thru Sunday, Jul 14, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                        Tue 10.1 8:22 Morning Run 516 strava
                        Wed 10.1 7:57 Morning Run w/ a few pickups 513 strava
                        Thu 6.4 8:14 Morning Run 355 strava
                        Fri 10.1 8:02 Morning Run 510 strava
                        Sat 7.2 9:10 Trails in Sega Park 558 strava
                        Sun 22.0 7:11 Progressive long run 772 strava
                          65.9 7:56   3224  

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Earthquakes:  We had the infamous "DC earthquake" about 5 years ago.  I then lived in an English basement in a building built in the late 1800s.  My first thought was that it was another metro train running by.  Followed by the realization that there was no metro track next to my building....  Then I thought it was terrorism.  Except that explosions don't usually last 20 seconds - more of an instantaneous type of thing.  Earthquake was the furthest thing from my mind.

And then once I realized it had been an earthquake, I grabbed the cat and ran outside.  I understand from my California friends that doing so is pretty stupid.  But...my California friends don't live in the basements of  late 1800s era buildings that were never designed for earthquakes....

ZZ - nice job on the doubling.  I would hate to have to race in both the morning and then again at night - just enough time to get all nice and stiff from the morning race.

Jmac - I think that heat hits us harder the longer we're out there - so it's not at all surprising that it would be affecting your easy pace runs.

I got a similar fare for Baltimore-Sacramento last year.  CIM is surprisingly affordable for those of us on the other coast - you can get a good price on a flight if you book early enough, and the hotels are also reasonable.

Speaking of which, I went ahead and grabbed my hotel for Boston 2020.  Yup, that's a pricey one.

JTReeves - I think that when life gets tough and sleep gets scarce, it's always smart to pull back.  I've seen too many instances of people getting injured when they force stuff during those times in their lives.

My week:

57 miles, 16 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming
                          M: Yoga and 5 "miles" of pool-running in the morning; 3 "miles" pool-running in afternoon.  (Got kicked out of the pool in the morning due to lightning, so doubled back in the afternoon)
                          T: 12 miles, including a workout of 2x2.5 miles at aerobic effort (16:09 and 16:33) with half mile jogged recovery; full recovery and then 2 short hill repeats of 60-70 seconds with 2:30 recovery.  After I was done with my cooldown I added in four very short hill sprints (10-12 seconds up a hill of 11% incline). Then did leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                          W: 8 miles very easy (8:56), drills, strides, yoga, and 4 miles very easy (8:49).
                          Th: Upper body weights, core, and 8 "miles" pool-running.
                          F: 12 miles, including 7 long hill repeats (~2:00 up, ~1:30 jog, ~30 second stride, ~60 second jog); followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                          Sa: 10 miles easy (8:54) plus drills, strides, upper body strength/core, DIY yoga
                          Su: 10.5 miles, including alternating two 60-70 second hill reps with 2:30-3:00 recovery and 10 minutes at tempo effort with 1:30 recovery. Did 2 hill reps, 10:00 tempo (6:26 pace), 2 hill reps, 10:00 tempo (6:25 pace), 2 hill reps.   Then....after my cooldown jog, did four more short hill sprints.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.

More strength and power work this week.  I'm feeling strong but not sharp, which is exactly what I want right now.  Plan is to pull back a bit this week and jump into a road mile on Wednesday (weather permitting - the remnants of tropical storm Barry may screw with that race).  Will probably return to the track next week.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

*unlurk*

Quick question for the Nike Vaporfly runners on here... how do you find the sizing?

I'm looking at getting a pair of the Next%'s but haven't owned Nike running shoes in a while (and will probably have to buy them online as I'm not sure anywhere local stocks them).

I run in:

Saucony: 13 (these are a tad roomy, probably I'd be more like a 12.5 but I needed the extra width)

Mizuno: 12

Nike (casual): 12 (these feel a touch narrow, but it's barely noticeable)

Alternately if there are any Nike shoes that fit similar to the VF's I can probably find somewhere local to try those on.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

*unlurk*

Quick question for the Nike Vaporfly runners on here... how do you find the sizing?

So....I may not be the best source, since female feet are often shaped a bit different from men's feet.

I can tell you that I wear size 6 in the VF 4% (mens only sizing), and I picked up a size 6 in the VF Next and that fits well also.  The VF Next is slightly narrower than the original VF 4% (non-flyknit)  I also wear a size 6 in the mens only Nike Streak.

This is consistent with my sizing in the men's Adidas Sub-2 (also a size 6).   In the men's Adidas Takumi Sen I wear a 5.5

All my other shoes are women's shoes, so they won't help you much - I'm a 7 or 7.5 in the women's Adidas Adios and the Nike Flyknit Free.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

cinnamon girl

Oh yes JMac, that's right. I remember the plan now! sounds good and reasonable!. And I agree with JT - nice 400s - How much recovery?  $275 is definitely sweet deal for non-stop!

JTReeves: have a FABULOUS time! (and a break from horseflies too) I would be happy with a week that had a nice long run (22!) like that, regardless what else happened.

MarkyMark: Vapor Flies?? I thought you were more chill than that. 

Captain: nice mile after the 5k!

Darkwave: have fun at the mile

M: 50 min recovery (9:03)
                                T: 15 min easy, 50 min moderate aerobic with last mile a progressive fast finish to 6:0x, 10 min easy
                                W: off
                                T: 7 mi easy (8:09)
                                F: 15 min w/u, 4 x 2k (7:40) w/2 min rec, 5 min rest, 4 x 200m (38) w/200m rec, 15 min c/d  *85 deg
                                S: 50 min recovery in AM (8:29), 35 min easy in PM (8:46)
                                S: 14 mi easy (8:05) *85+ deg

Plans for Berlin canceled. I can't afford a trip to Europe in 2 months. House from prior relationship not sold yet so having to pay basically 4 rents right now (2 for my kids, myself, and then the house) which is putting me over the edge. I'm thinking maybe Victoria in mid-October. It looks like a beautiful course and race. On the west coast so I would just go for an extended weekend and much cheaper. idk. I'm happy running what feels like training again so something will work out.