2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Darkwave- thanks!  I tried a couple of Nike models on in the nearby Nike store (Pegasus, Zoom Fly) and the 12 on each seemed just a touch narrow, so I'm thinking the 12.5.  The guys there confirmed that I'd have to buy them online as NZ doesn't get stock, hopefully that doesn't mean I also get hit with a bunch of import duties - I don't normally get hit with that on shoes, but these are a bit more expensive.

Cinnamon - honestly, I wouldn't have even thought about buying these a month ago, I love my Saucony shoes (also they are a crapload cheaper than the VFs).  But we just got our annual bonus, most of it needs to go on more important things but the way this year has gone there's no way I wasn't getting myself a small something as well! (PS that sucks you had to can your Berlin plans).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

madisonrunner

JT - you can list me for Lakefront (10/6, goal 2:32) and CIM (12/8, goal sub 2:30)

I start my 12 week training plan tomorrow.  I'm excited to start back on a formal training plan after a couple of months of just easy and long runs.  Like my last cycle I'll be following Pfitz's 100+ plan again, with about 10 miles/week more this time.

M_M_C

JT - Solid LR and workout. You should be ready to roll on 9/8, if you keep it up!

Darkwave - Been jealous of your Hiro Jima hill repeats. Seems like running in the DC area would be pretty cool with all the monuments and such.

As for me, another sub par week. The injury (or whatever you want to call it) seems to be a moving target, first it was my glute, then hip, then TFL... hoping it stops there. I think it stems from the supinating on my left foot.

My goals this week are to run all 7 days and run 10x

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - where are you staying in Boston? I was JUST looking at hotels for next year's race (more on that below) and didn't know where to start with how expensive everything is.

JT - now might be a good time for a break. I find taking one about 7-8 weeks out to be perfect, as it gives you one final 3 week push before a 3 week taper.

cinnamon - sorry to hear about Berlin! I like that you updated your beer photo.

Me - two things. One, yes I decided I am probably running Boston again next year. No matter how much I research, I can't find a better marathon to run in April or May. Don't want to take the chance with Grandma's, and it's also much easier for me to get to Boston. Yeah, yeah, probably dumb but what the hell, I'm going for my big PR at CIM so I'm not as focused for the spring.

Second, I am screwed for my 5K on Saturday. Check out this wonderful forecast. I really am considering DNS'ing it, but I already paid the money for the race and it's not like a half marathon in these conditions where I'd be seriously concerned about my health. Still, gotta love the timing that the hottest, most humid day of the year is occurring on my 5K day! Current forecast high for the day is 99.

Time

Temp

Feels Like

Cloud Cover

Dew Point

Humidity

Winds

7:00 am

82 °F

90 °F

23%

74 °F

76%

5 mph W

8:00 am

85 °F

93 °F

22%

74 °F

70%

6 mph WNW

9:00 am

87 °F

96 °F

21%

74 °F

64%

7 mph WNW

10:00 am

90 °F

99 °F

18%

73 °F

59%

8 mph WNW

11:00 am

92 °F

103 °F

17%

73 °F

54%

9 mph WNW

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - where are you staying in Boston? I was JUST looking at hotels for next year's race (more on that below) and didn't know where to start with how expensive everything is.

I grabbed a room at the Club Quarters in the Financial District.  It's a good location, and pricy but not as insane as elsewhere in Boston.

I'm not sure I'm doing Boston yet, but I wanted to grab the hotel room anyway.

Speaking of race plans - Andres - I'm in for the Houston Half-Marathon in January 2020.

Also, JTReeves - you can put me down for the following races when you get a chance:

Liberty Mile - August 9 (goal: place well)

USATF Masters Road Mile Championships - August 23 (goalTonguelace well)

Fifth Avenue Mile - September 8 (goal: sub-5:30)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

And...circling back for a few other comments:

Cinnamon - sorry to hear about Berlin not working out.  You should have plenty of good fall options, though.

M_M_C - A few years ago, the Marine Corps Band (not sure of their official title) used to give summer evening concerts at Iwo Jima.  And...they'd practice there in the mornings - so we'd be doing Iwo Jima hill repeats accompanied by marching music.  It was pretty cool.

I hope your injury/niggle cycle stops spinning.

Jmac - that forecast looks unfortunate.  I'm sorry.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

slingrunner

*unlurk*

Quick question for the Nike Vaporfly runners on here... how do you find the sizing?

I'm looking at getting a pair of the Next%'s but haven't owned Nike running shoes in a while (and will probably have to buy them online as I'm not sure anywhere local stocks them).

I run in:

Saucony: 13 (these are a tad roomy, probably I'd be more like a 12.5 but I needed the extra width)

Mizuno: 12

Nike (casual): 12 (these feel a touch narrow, but it's barely noticeable)

Alternately if there are any Nike shoes that fit similar to the VF's I can probably find somewhere local to try those on.

unlurk...

I run in brooks ghost 10.5 wide, and got 11 Vaporfly, and they seem to fit fairly well.  Certainly tighter and they feel smaller.

Oh, and since I'm here, 40 miler on 40th birthday went pretty decently.  Around 9 minute pace for the first 25 miles or so, and then worked itself up to about 11 minute moving pace (more and more walking), and I'm not even counting the time I spent at my car between the 14 laps. But the temperature was in the 80s, and my mileage is junk.  It delayed my feeling old until I saw the 4-0 on the cake...

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

cinnamon girl

JMac - if the race is any inconvenience - I wouldn't waste the time and effort of getting to a race in those conditions. Part of me was thinking that the race atmosphere would help you get in a workout that you might not otherwise do on your own given those conditions, but then again I'm not sure the 'workout' that might result would really be that helpful. You might end up feeling like shit the rest of the day. I support whichever you choose though Smile  and the beer .. my daughter introduced it to me when she was visiting. My new favorite staple. And, LA is a good experience I would recommend.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - I think you could get away with them in a 10K, but I would never race them in a 5K. Seems like some folks don't mind it, but I really enjoy much firmer shoes when racing fast. They're very unstable, especially when turning.

cinnamon - I think you're right on the workout part. I have to run Saturday anyway, might as well get a 5K workout in and then do a very slow run afterwards.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

Cinnamon: stinks about Berlin, but I imagine that is quite an expensive trip.

JMac: Agree with trying to at least hit a workout in your workout (20 min T?).  No sense in wasting that money and a workout will certainly help for later 5k's down the road.  Count me in as running Boston in 2020 as well.  Would love to be able to run CIM in December, but thinking I'll need to stay somewhat local for my next goal race do to other family related commitments this fall.  Still leaning towards Jacksonville which is in early January.

DW:  Like the upcoming goal races.

MMC: Hang in there as the niggles will hopefully resolve  soon.

Captain: great 1 mile / 5K  double!

JT: great LR and a nice looking week!

Shoes: I'm hoping to try out the 4% sometime this fall. Also wondering if there will be a price drop with the next % out now, but imagine they are even out of stock of those right now.  I also need some new racing flats as my Saucony Type A's finally sprung a few holes.  Had those for years, since I didn't wear them often.  Might just try to find an updeated version.

Last week: Ended up with just a single day off this past week and still got in 73 miles.  Pretty happy with both quality days (mixed paces on Wednesday and then a fast finsh LR on Friday) and lots of hill work on Monday.  Officially signed up for my next race which will be an effort based 10 miler on the clay loop hills in the middle of August in central FL.

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Jul 08, 2019 thru Sunday, Jul 14, 2019

Day

Miles

Pace

Description

Link

Mon

7:32

EZ Bridge Repeats

strava

Mon

7:50

So many bugs 🤢 

strava

Tue

7:39

M&M's + strides

strava

Wed

8:06

Warm up

strava

Wed

6:32

2.1T + 8 X (400R, 400jg)

strava

Wed

8:10

Cool down

strava

Wed

7:44

Afternoon miles 

strava

Thu

8:15

Nice & EZ

strava

Fri

7:26

14E + 2.3T

strava

Sun

7:25

Well I stayed away from running for 1.5 days 🤣

strava

7:35

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

jayluf

Following a new EXPERIENCES FIRST! running race philosophy, I’ve decided to do a 25K trail race next month. Anyone have trail shoe recommendations?

Other spring marathon options to consider - I’ve decided to do Paris instead of Boston next April. Great course, almost guaranteed to have better weather than Boston! 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals: The magic track in Monaco did not disappoint! How did you like Sifan's WR in the mile? Pretty amazing closing speed given the slow first 800m. I bet Muir is kicking herself for running the 800m instead of the mile. She could have been right up there and at minimum broken the British record.

I agree Laura ran an 800PR which is a $50K pay day a NR is $100k and a WR is $200K that's usually what they pay with top men not sure how it works out for the women. But that's some serious loot she lost out on as a Nike Pro. I was happy it was in a race honoring Gabe. that made it truly amazing and such a positive affair. Did you see Salazar cheesing it up. He also just got Jessica Hull. Anyway so happy for Hassan no way she would have outkicked Laura. Hassan is something special she has such range from 800m to the Half world class at every distance in between. Also Stafford really impressed me she has a very bright future broke NR by 5 seconds now has 4 Canadian national records. I'm excited for Doha.

Raced the Boilermaker ran into Mick and a few others from old RWOL. That was cool. I don't know what happened I had the Next % shoes but ended up 30 seconds slower it was cooler I felt great last year I died on the hills  got passed by almost everyone walked for a bit but this year felt great the whole way and was 32 seconds slower. Makes no sense. Ah Sooky, the older I get, the better I was.

Date â–¼ Activity Course Type Distance Duration Pace Actions
                          7/14/2019 Run   Default 9.4 mi 53:36 5:44
                          7/12/2019 Run   Default 8.0 mi 1:12:58 9:06
                          7/11/2019 Run   Default 7.0 mi 1:01:37 8:51
                          7/10/2019 Run   Default 8.1 mi 1:13:19 9:06
                          7/10/2019 Run   Default 5.3 mi 50:45 9:32
                          7/9/2019 Run   Default 7.1 mi 1:11:06 9:59

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - I think you could get away with them in a 10K, but I would never race them in a 5K. Seems like some folks don't mind it, but I really enjoy much firmer shoes when racing fast. They're very unstable, especially when turning.

Thanks JMac, the 10k course I'm lining up is a 5-lapper (standard for regional/national championship events here), with a u-turn at the end of each lap and a nasty s-bend, so might be the normal Saucony flats for that I think.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The pair I use for 5Ks are my high mileage pair - they now have 235 miles on them.  They've lost a lot of their bounce and the accompanying instability, and are much firmer - hence my using them for 5Ks.  I wouldn't use a new pair for a 5K, for the reasons stated above.

And probably worth nothing that my 5K PR remains the race I ran in my Takumi Sens (which are on their last legs, so I'm saving them for road miles).  I actually feel that the "crushed" VF 4% and the original Takumi Sens are pretty similar - Takumi Sen is slightly firmer and also has a much lower heel drop.

I'm wondering if the Next will end up being a more useful all around shoe than the VF4%, since they have supposedly made it firmer and reduced the heel.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

And probably worth nothing that my 5K PR remains the race I ran in my Takumi Sens (which are on their last legs, so I'm saving them for road miles).  I actually feel that the "crushed" VF 4% and the original Takumi Sens are pretty similar - Takumi Sen is slightly firmer and also has a much lower heel drop.

You know how much I love the Takumi Sens, so glad I got a pair in Japan. I love them for the reason you said, firmer/lower heel drop/stack height. They’re such an amazing mile/5K shoe.