2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

You know how much I love the Takumi Sens, so glad I got a pair in Japan. I love them for the reason you said, firmer/lower heel drop/stack height. They’re such an amazing mile/5K shoe.

I think I'm putting mine in a shadow box or something when I retire them.  I can't bear to throw them out.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think I'm putting mine in a shadow box or something when I retire them.  I can't bear to throw them out.

I’m actually going back in December if you need a new pair...

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

slingrunner

Following a new EXPERIENCES FIRST! running race philosophy, I’ve decided to do a 25K trail race next month. Anyone have trail shoe recommendations?

Other spring marathon options to consider - I’ve decided to do Paris instead of Boston next April. Great course, almost guaranteed to have better weather than Boston! 

What's the trail like?  That will guide your decision.  If it's not technical, a regular trainer that's not too minimal might be fine.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

kramrunner

Indy 2019 w02/16
          M    01 13 55         9.3 
          T     01 13 36         9.33
          W     -- -- --            URD 
          Th   01 16 04        8.89 w/ 6x hill sprints
          F      -- -- --             URD tired morn, plantar fascia sore as fook in afternoon
          S    01 14 51         9.0 tm w/ 3wu + 800, 6x600 + 2cd, 0.5%, 800@11mph, 600@12mph, rec < 150s walk
          S    01 59 01         14.99 
                                        ====

Happy with my week. I took it easy as the after effects of my easy week were present. Happy with my v02 work on Sat and a solid 2hr run in the sun on Sun. Unfortunately, my feet/pf are basically saying no more sprinting on hills or otherwise, so I think my 5k work may have to end and time for tempo season Sad or Smile hmmmm...

Jayluf: Paris, nice! That's becoming a more and more popular flat and fast destination race. Defo a good way to keep the better half happy too I suppose. Hopefully the yellow vests will have embarrassed that slimebag Macron enough by then to not mess with things. Btw, unless the trail is super vertical/technical, grab whatever pair of everyday shoes that has the most miles. Biggest danger is damn roots/rocks tearing a hole and ruining a good pair of trainers.

Weather: Great week. Really like the look of the T & R session!

Cinnamon: Solid week and nice wo in miserable conditions. Sucks to hear that you had to bail on Berlin. I hope those 2 darlings of yours are working weekend jobs!! I hope you have a solid IPA in your wheelhouse too... a constant diet of pilsner gets a little boring. So good to drink on a hot day though.

JMac: Rough look on the weather, but run it and use the opportunity to do a hard run. You never know, you might get a brief good running window. That 12x400 session looks great. Madison: Great stuff. Love those goal times.

DW: Good week. Great amount of variation in there. You'll (fingers crossed) be bullet proof this autumn. The 2nd earthquake was fun. We were in the pearl@Palms on the upper level and when the quake hit everything started swaying especially the gigantic lighting system that was hanging directly over the 20 rows in front of the stage. Only one person bailed from their seat but most others had started moving by the time it stopped. I felt in no danger (been to Chile a bunch and I knew it was in Cali too), but it's always such a surreal experience. Was kinda funny watching all those people squirm... muhahahaha.

JT: Another great long run. I can't see the holiday doing any damage as you're in great shape and I'm sure you'll spend plenty of time on your feet. Have fun.

Nimmals: Any thoughts that you might be racing too much? I so hope that Salazar gets dragged into the mud, one shady MF'er.

Cheaterfly... why not just order some EPO 

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals: Any thoughts that you might be racing too much? I so hope that Salazar gets dragged into the mud, one shady MF'er.

Cheaterfly... why not just order some EPO 

Kram EPO's What a waste of money plus the medical risk. I think if you're going to cheat were to cheat I would Mezza it. Or is it still called Rosie-ing. Cheaterfly isn't really cheating. I'm going to run a 5k in non cheaterfly and see once and for all which is better.

Oh there is a bazzillion races on long island every weekend at least im racing out of the island. Long island has nothing going on people there race every weekend there is now two race series due to in fighting between GLIRC and Local USATF.

JMac Im thinking I should find a race soon but I'm not too fond of traveling that far to run on a tarmac. You're chosing the worst weekend. they said real feel will be 105.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

My 5K was cancelled Saturday due to the weather conditions, so I guess I won’t find out what it’s like to race in 163 TDP.

I can’t race next weekend but have a couple of possibilities the following weekend, which will give me 2 more shots this summer at the 5K distance while specifically training for it.

This weekend, I’ll just take it easy with the heat 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cinnamon girl

Well JMac - I have to say that's good news. I don't think much good would have come of it.

Weatherboy - I like the mixed pace workouts - good for warm weather workouts. Keep up the good work!

Jayluf Yes !! Love it !! I have no advice on trail shoes though. Just be careful! And Paris is definitely going to be one of my next Spring marathons. Not sure if for 2020.

Kram - so what shoes do you run/race in?   Pilsner is just the post-run beer.

kramrunner

Kram EPO's What a waste of money plus the medical risk. I think if you're going to cheat were to cheat I would Mezza it. Or is it still called Rosie-ing. Cheaterfly isn't really cheating. I'm going to run a 5k in non cheaterfly and see once and for all which is better.

Oh there is a bazzillion races on long island every weekend at least im racing out of the island. Long island has nothing going on people there race every weekend there is now two race series due to in fighting between GLIRC and Local USATF.

Goddamn... always so many people wanting to be king. Personally, I wish we could go back in time and and have El G try a Mezza mile.

Cinnamon: A mix of anything but Nike. Currently using Sketcher Razor 2/Mizuno Wave Shadow/Adidas Tempo 9/NB Beacon/NB Zante 3/Mizuno Wave Sayonara 4 for training. Mizuno wave sonic for racing. I live and die (too often for my liking) by my own limited powers Wink Phew... I pity those who restrict their beer choices!

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Goddamn... always so many people wanting to be king. Personally, I wish we could go back in time and and have El G try a Mezza mile.

JT- wasnt it just last week Gebrehewit found out Mezzaing doesn't work in an oval with 10000+ people watching.

One More lap for you!!!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Technical detail, but doesn't Meza-ing require a bike and a road side stretching break?

Jmac - I may very well take you up on that Takumi Sen offer.  Weird thing is, at one point Road Runner was carrying them and supposedly had a women's pair (which was odd, since I thought that shoe was mens-only).  So... I bought a pair - they say "Takumi Sen" on them and have the same outsole, but don't ride the same at all.  Very strange.

Kram - I didn't realize they still made the Mizuno Sayonara - I have an early pair that I wear every once in a while to mix stuff up.  I loved the stiffness and the plate of that shoe - just a bit too heavy for fast running.  I used it for hill workouts for a while.

I don't drink beer.  Is this the point where I get kicked out of the thread?  (nothing personal against those who do - it's just that I don't tolerate it well, and I remember hating the taste when I was a teenager and drank it to be cool).

Raced a road mile on Wednesday in 5:48.  Was actually happy with the performance, despite the official time.  Raced well, placed well, just wasn't fast.  Race report here.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Darkwave as a miler I'm giving you a C+ simply because if you caught him at 3/4 you have to put him out of his misery with conviction so he can't retaliate. Dead and gone.... don't you be raising no ghost???

Loved the race report by the way what shoes were those I don't think you mentioned.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My original Takumi Sens - same shoe I've worn for almost every road mile I've ever run (I tried the Sub-2 once, but didn't like it as much - just too soft).

I'm saving my Takumi Sens for that distance (no longer use them for 5Ks); I see that NB has a special road mile shoe coming out this fall that may end up being my replacement.  If not, then I'll rely on JMac's kindness to get another pair of Takumi Sens.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'll definitely grab you a pair, I'll remind you in November.

I need advice from you hot weather folks. Is there a limit in distance you run in the summer? I did EVERYTHING possible for my long run today, going in fully hydrated, starting at sunrise, and stopping every 2 miles to take in a lot of water (so much I was getting stitches from it sloshing around). And yet, it wasn't nearly enough. I don't see how you can run more than 90 minutes consecutively in 160+ TDP, but maybe you guys know how.

Also another observation: not all TDP is created equal. It feels like once dew points hit 75, you're screwed no matter what the temp is. I'd much rather run in 90+65 than 80+75 and it's not even close.

Anyway bad end to a good week. Finally have some consistency in my running after an injury plagued spring. Going to go down a bit in mileage this week to prevent injury and rejuvenate a bit (plus taking a weekend trip).

Weekly Summary
                            Monday, Jul 15, 2019 thru Sunday, Jul 21, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description Link
                            Mon 11.4 7:18 6x1T (5:50) + 4x200 strava
                            Tue 9.0 7:39 Time to heat acclimate for Saturday strava
                            Wed 10.4 7:45 91T + 71DP = 12X400 + ⛈️ strava
                            Thu 8.6 8:07 Evening Run strava
                            Fri 10.8 8:01 Well, at least there was a 6 mph breeze 🤨 strava
                            Sat 17.0 8:08 I am never running that long in those conditions ever again strava
                              67.2 7:51    

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Jmac - not sure if I qualify as "hot weather folks," but we had some pretty hot weather in DC (a bit more than this) when I was training for Chicago.  I still did my 20 milers (for one the starting temp/DP was 80/78; the ending was 90/73).  And I'm slower than you, so out there for longer.

Tricks were: LOTs of water stops; don't worry about pace (just think of it as "time on your feet" ), eat very salty before and during, and try to find a shaded route. (And yeah, you did most of these, so my advice is useless Smile )

So yes, I think it's possible to run for longer than 90 minutes in this weather, with modifications.  I also think that you made the right decision in calling it early, given your experience.

I agree that dew point is crucial.  I actually don't think that temp+dew point is the best measure.  80/60 is far easier to run in than 75/75.

Also, based on personal experience, I think it's easier to run in 75/70 than 70/70.  There's something about 100% humidity that's hard to handle.

slingrunner

For me, the key is doing shorter loops or out and backs to allow toweling off every few miles.  Toweling off is a lot more important than drinking to me.  And maybe even changing shorts once they look like you came out of a pool.  I've done 20 in these conditions (I'm in Philly so similar now), but I wouldn't want to go more than 3 miles or so without getting rid of the bulk of the moisture.  I assume you are running shirtless?  If not, you aren't doing everything.

I'll definitely grab you a pair, I'll remind you in November.

I need advice from you hot weather folks. Is there a limit in distance you run in the summer? I did EVERYTHING possible for my long run today, going in fully hydrated, starting at sunrise, and stopping every 2 miles to take in a lot of water (so much I was getting stitches from it sloshing around). And yet, it wasn't nearly enough. I don't see how you can run more than 90 minutes consecutively in 160+ TDP, but maybe you guys know how.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)