2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I just looked at the Berlin website, and it turns out you need to run your qualifier on an AIMS certified course. There are only 12 of those in the US, and neither of the 2 races I've run sub 2:55 on are in that group. Neither is Erie. So that sucks. Looks like I am out for Berlin for 2020; maybe if I run/qualify on one of the AIMS courses next year I can go for Berlin in 2021.

Damn that sucks and I bet a lot of runners don’t know that who are planning to register for Berlin. It’s almost the opposite of Boston as you can qualify there by running a course like St George which imo makes the whole process a farce.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

jayluf

I can give you info on how to easily get into Berlin. I didn’t qualify or win the lottery. Email me jason.lufkin at gmail dot com

Good point about Nimmals; running a 2:34 at 46 probably takes the cake.

JMac: Good luck on the 5k; I hope the dew point cooperates for once.

I just looked at the Berlin website, and it turns out you need to run your qualifier on an AIMS certified course. There are only 12 of those in the US, and neither of the 2 races I've run sub 2:55 on are in that group. Neither is Erie. So that sucks. Looks like I am out for Berlin for 2020; maybe if I run/qualify on one of the AIMS courses next year I can go for Berlin in 2021.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Damn that sucks and I bet a lot of runners don’t know that who are planning to register for Berlin. It’s almost the opposite of Boston as you can qualify there by running a course like St George which imo makes the whole process a farce.

So...I see that Berlin requires the time on an "AIMS-Certified" marathon; and I see a list on AIMS of "Member Races" in the US (12 of them, and an interesting mix - includes NYC, Chicago, and Houston, but also Big Sur and RNR Vegas, among others?)

What's not clear to me is whether "AIMS-Certified" is the same thing as "Member Race."

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

cinnamon girl

Randomness from memory

JTReeves - welcome back!! Are you sure you're still in for Erie? 2-3 more weeks before taper ..

JMac - hope the third times a charm!

Meant to say awhile back - Mikkey - you can't beat NYC for a marathon in the US! There isn't anything else worth the trip for. So many great options in Europe it's crazy.

Slammin - I think it's cool that you noticed the actions of someone first, before their race time. The time on the clock is relatively insignificant. Have fun this weekend!  (and I'm 49 so 1:26 is not that impressive)

Thanks for the positive vibes! The SF course was challenging - my quads are sore! Garmin says I ran mile 8 at 6:06 (mostly - if not all? downhill) and I'm still feeling it

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Meant to say awhile back - Mikkey - you can't beat NYC for a marathon in the US! There isn't anything else worth the trip for. So many great options in Europe it's crazy.

I would say that NYC has been my favourite destination marathon so far as the city has a really cool and positive vibe. I loved the race and I think I’d be more prepared for the later stages if I ever ran it again!

JT - I’ve registered for the Brighton 10k on the 17th November if you want to put that on the list. I’ll let you decide what my goal time should be. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

cinnamon girl

I would say that NYC has been my favourite destination marathon so far as the city has a really cool and positive vibe. I loved the race and I think I’d be more prepared for the later stages if I ever ran it again!

Totally agree!

JMac -  so JT updated p. 1 - a nice comfy PR!  Awaiting details . . .

madisonrunner

JMac - nice 5k!  Congrats on the PR.  Sub 17 will be there in the Fall with a little better weather.

My exciting week:

M - 10.1 (w/ strides) / 5.9

T - 5.8 / 5.7

W - 15.2 / 5.7

R - 5.8 / 5.8

F - 14.2 / 5.8

S - 10 (w/ strides)

S - 20 (first 15 in the 6:40s then 6:23, 6:21, 6:16, 6:12, 6:09)

110 total

3rd straight 100+ mile week for me.  I plan to keep it at 100+ for the next 6-7 weeks before tapering for Lakefront.  I signed up for a half marathon on 8/24.  Last year I ran the same race as an MP workout and my plan calls for a 12 mile MP that weekend so I may do that again.  But I'm also itching a little bit to race so I may race it as well.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks guys. Came home in 17:15, so a nice 35 second PR. Conditions weren't great with dew points at 70 an full sunshine at 9 am, but I really put in a great effort. I feel like you had a great 5K when you feel you are completely redlining with one mile to go, but find a way to get a negative split in. Going to take another crack at sub 17 in 2 weeks. Pretty pissed I won't be around this weekend as Saturday morning is supposed to be a TDP of 120!!! Haven't seen something that low in months. Hopefully I get lucky and get that in 2 weeks.

One thing that gets me about the 5K is that it's not my legs limiting me, but my breathing. Does anybody else get this? I know the 5K oxygen suck is real, but my legs felt completely fine in the last mile but I just couldn't get enough oxygen in to go any faster. There were was no burning feeling I was expecting in my legs, just not enough oxygen.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

JMAC Congrats on the 5k PR 25 seconds improvement is huge. Like you im excited for cooler temps. I just got my young Padawan to hit 17:53 in a 5k and she did it nasty 5:34  the 5:54, 5:54. I told her 5:40- 5:44 but she ran it her own way. I knew she was well coached but now I got her over the mental barrier were aiming for a sub 17:30 in the fall and a sub 2:45 by CIM. She was excited to set the new course record. LOL the old course record belongs to Molly Huddle. No she didnt break it they changed the course molly's record is a ridiculous 16:23.

Madison nice week brother. you keeping it in the upper stratosphere.

Cinnamon and Mikey I have to agree & I'm from Long Island its still a destination for me I stay in a hotel in the city the night before NYC. The shear amount of runners I meet going into work the expo and vendors its still all so exciting.

Type Date Description Time Distance  Elevation
                    Workout  PM Mon, 7/29/2019 10x 80m Hillsprints then 160,320,640,320,160 with 160 recovery 1:00:41 6.31 mi  1,213 ft
                    Workout AM Tue, 7/30/2019 2K Tuesday’s are back well almost. 2x 2k, 2x 1k skipped 400s 1:23:05 10.07 mi  118 ft
                    Run AM Wed, 7/31/2019 13 easy w/ Michele 1:50:32 13.20 mi  374 ft
                    Run PM Wed, 7/31/2019 Melancholic Musings 1:07:32 8.01 mi  423 ft
                    Run AM Thu, 8/1/2019 Warm up before Deek Quarters  23:42 2.53 mi  23 ft
                    Workout AM Thu, 8/1/2019 Michele and her πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊDeek Quarters πŸ₯΅πŸ’© 48:46:00 5.97 mi  0 ft
                    Run PM Thu, 8/1/2019 7mi Slug 🐌 Run 1:06:02 7.25 mi  141 ft
                    Run AM Fri, 8/2/2019 Lonely Won’t Leave Me Alone 13 mi 1:48:07 13.01 mi  279 ft
                    Run PM Fri, 8/2/2019 Foxy 4 miler 38:21:00 4.12 mi  148 ft
                    Workout AM Sat, 8/3/2019 Part 2 of a 12 mile run. 🦚  1:02:51 8.29 mi  105 ft
                    Workout AM Sat, 8/3/2019 Part 1 of a 12 miler 🦚  26:16:00 3.76 mi  95 ft
                    Run AM Sat, 8/3/2019 4 miles with Alie 34:49:00 4.33 mi  95 ft
                    WarmUp Sun, 8/4/2019 Warmup for Mile Raace  21:21 2.00 mi  95 ft
                    Race Sun, 8/4/2019 Masters Mile 4:44 1.00 mi  52 ft
                    Cool down Sun, 8/4/2019 Cool Down w/ Tara et al 44:35:00 3.87 mi  0 ft
                    Race Sun, 8/4/2019 Mens Open Mile 4:40 1.05 mi  0 ft
                    Cool Down Sun, 8/4/2019 Cool Down 34:11:00 3.86 mi  118 ft
                    Cool Down Sun, 8/4/2019 Lunch Run 21:33 2.39 mi  23 ft

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

jayluf

JMac - congrats on the 5k PR. very strong effort in those conditions. I've experienced the oxygen depletion like you described once at the end of a half, and I remember it being an odd feeling in that I had to pull back a bit even though the legs were feeling really strong.

Had a strong week overall with a confidence boosting workout that my speed is coming around. Long runs continue to be tough in anything over 135ish TDP. Lost 12 pounds water weight during the 20miler on Saturday. Looking ahead I've added the Parks half marathon on September 8th as a tune up before Berlin. If conditions are decent, goal would be sub 80.

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Jul 29, 2019 thru Sunday, Aug 04, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description Link
                      Tue 10.0 7:41 The summer grind rolls on strava
                      Wed 10.7 7:48 Workout Wednesday- 8 x 2min @ 5K-ish w/ 90s easy strava
                      Thu 10.0 8:12 Thursday Gratitude! strava
                      Fri 4.1 8:52 Shake Shake Shake it out strava
                      Sat 20.0 8:11 SLR - 20 spot strava
                      Sun 10.2 8:08 SLR - wrapping up a great week! strava
                        65.0 8:05
                      M_M_C

JMAC - Congrats on the 5k! Looking back at your log this was a pretty good performance. Do you ever mix in any strides? I usually experience what you do when I haven't really touched on any speed.

Madison - Do you purposefully play with the number of runs you do in a week or do you just run when it fits in to your schedule?

Nimmals - Nice mile races on a 100 mile week

JT - Sucks about Berlin, if you are not able to wiggle your way in utilizing Jay's seemingly sketchy back channel, hopefully you can get in via lottery. You have surely earned it.

I am slowly crawling my way back. While running has felt pretty uncomfortable, I have been pain free the last few days. I have really stepped up the amount of stretching and preventative work I have been doing, which was non-existent before, and I think that has been the difference.

I don't think I will be signing up for the Beantown marathon this year, and am just going to hope my time from 2019 gets me into Boston 2020. My big focus over the next few weeks will be making running a part of my everyday routine again. Going from not running at all to running everyday has been pretty tough motivation wise. Luckily I have not been super busy so it doesn't matter if it takes me a little longer to get out the door than usual, but I expect things to get a busier so I need to get that discipline back.

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

One thing that gets me about the 5K is that it's not my legs limiting me, but my breathing. Does anybody else get this? I know the 5K oxygen suck is real, but my legs felt completely fine in the last mile but I just couldn't get enough oxygen in to go any faster. There were was no burning feeling I was expecting in my legs, just not enough oxygen.

Interesting.  My response is twofold:

a) I feel like ultimately my breathing is the limiter at anything between 5K and the half, with my legs the limiter for both the mile and the marathon.  Which I know sounds odd, but I think is just the consequence of being physically strong but not having a great set of lungs.  The distances that are most reliant on sheer high aerobic capacity are those that I find most challenging.

but...b) I find that when I go into oxygen debt, I can feel it in my legs - they don't feel fine at all.  They feel drained and heavy but not tired, if that makes sense. Muscle fatigue is a different feeling from that.

Congrats on a nice 5K by the way.  I know it wasn't the sub-17, but still an excellent race.

Madison - my vote is to race. Smile

Cinnamon - legs recovered yet?  I've heard that race is hilly, so not surprised it took something from you.

Nimmals - congrats on the young Padawan (and yeah, those splits look pretty painful).  But, she got it done, and with room for improvement.  Nice job on the miles also.  I have no idea how you race a mile so well off of a 2 mile warm-up (I think we've had this discussion before Smile )

Jayluf - nice week.  I've heard good things about the Parks Half, though I've never done it.  Every time I run near West Potomac Park, I keep wondering if I'll run into you again.

M_M_C - good that you are coming back.  Seems like skipping Beantown is a good idea.  I keep thinking that the differential between a BQ and getting in won't be that big this year, because of the 5 minute change.

My week:  48 miles, 17 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming
                          M: Yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running
                          T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 6x800, 2x200 in 3:01, 2:58, 2:56, 2:55, 2:55, 2:53, 38, and 38 (recoveries of 2:20-2:3x between the 800s. Full recovery for 200s.
                          W: 7 miles very easy (9:08), drills, strides, upper body weights/core, and 3 miles moderate (8:17)
                          Th: DIY yoga and 9 "miles" pool-running.
                          F: 8 miles, with one mile uptempo (6:16)
                          Sa: 4 miles very easy (8:34), plus drills and two hill strides, then DIY yoga.
                          Su: 4 mile warm-up; 5K race in 19:05 (6:11/6:07/6:47 for last 1.11), 3 mile cooldown. Much later did a 4 mile shakeout (8:40) and then 1000 yards recovery swimming.

Was second in the 5K race - young girl sat on me for almost the entire race, and then pulled a Shelby on me with 400 to go.  I was kicking myself for not going for it with 800m to go in hopes of burning the kick out of her, but then I looked her up, and confirmed that she was just plain better than me anyway - my hunch is that she would have been able to cover any move I made, no matter when I made it.

Other than leading and then getting outkicked, I was pretty happy with the race.  Race report here.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Cinnamon: Good question about Erie... if the weather forecast 1 week out doesn't look good, I will skip it and run Hartford 1 month later.

Mikkey: I added your 10k to the table.  As far as the goal, how about just edging under Kenny's WR with a 26:16? 

Madison: Awesome week. I can't imagine running 110 miles in a week. You seem to be handling it well and the benefits on race day should be huge.

JMac: Congrats on the PR!  It was real shite weather that morning and I think you would have been close to 17 flat if not under on a cool day. Maybe your breathing difficulty was due to the heat/humidity?

Nimmals: Nice week again, but this time I'm not adding all that up!  Was it still around 90 miles?  How did the mile race go?

jayluf: 12 lbs lost on that LR!?!?  I sweat like crazy but not sure I ever lost that much!

MMC: Glad to hear things are getting better and good call to sit out Beantown given the down time from injuries. Also good idea to incorporate the supplemental work.

Regarding Berlin, if I do it I want to qualify by time. So maybe I'll try to do Philly or Chicago at some point to get the AIMS course qualifier.

DW: Nice job on the 5k race. I'll re-ask about Futterman's book Running to the Edge...I'm curious how you found it. Also if anyone else here has read it please chime in. I thought it was great.

Me: Felt a bit off most of the week, possibly due to jet lag (we got back in the US Tuesday morning). Friday's 2 mile repeats felt like garbage and I wimped out and cut the last rep 1 mile in. Also found out I gained about 3-4 lbs during the vacation ...guess it was a bit too much lasagna, and calamari, and bread with olive oil, and wine... But I think that should trim away with a few 70+ mile weeks and my usual diet.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                            Tue 6.2 8:17 Afternoon Run 350 strava
                            Wed 12.2 8:20 Morning Run 601 strava
                            Thu 10.0 8:41 Morning Run 507 strava
                            Fri 12.1 7:07 2 x 2 mi + 1 mi (12:10, 12:04, 6:04) 376 strava
                            Sat 8.1 8:34 Morning Run 389 strava
                            Sun 22.2 8:19 Long run 1154 strava
                              70.8 8:11   3377  

2:52:16 (2018)

weatherboy80

JT:  Wouldn't worry too much about the workout and weight gain as it sounds like you had a great vacation.  Your legs will come back soon enough.  Still a nice looking week overall.

JMac: Congrats on the 5K PR.  Agree with the feeling of not being able to hold on with a mile or so left to go.  Just think you'll easily be 20-30 seconds faster in cooler weather.

Madison & Nimmals:  Monster weeks!

DW: Awesome looking week and congrats on the 5K!

Jay: Nice week and damn that's quite a bit of water loss!

MMC:  Awesome news on being pain free.

Me: Had my biggest week, volume wise since before Boston getting in just over 86 miles with 2 decent quality workouts.  Especially happy with the 6 X 6 minute T reps on Saturday inside my LR as sort of a peak workout for my 10 mile race coming up on the 17th.  Would have liked something a bit more continuous, but with the heat feel they are best broken up.

Weekly Summary

Day

Miles

Pace

Description

Link

Mon

7:30

Well it's gross outside again

strava

Mon

7:59

HR < 130 πŸ™‚

strava

Tue

8:01

Viera Wetlands + strides

strava

Wed

8:47

Warm up

strava

Wed

7:13

6 X (200,200,400)

strava

Wed

8:27

Cool down

strava

Wed

7:35

Afternoon 10K

strava

Thu

7:40

Afternoon Run

strava

Fri

8:17

Nice & EZ

strava

Sat

8:13

Warm up: attacked by a gang of frogs in the porta potty 🐸 

strava

Sat

5:57

6 X 6 min@T + 4 X 200R

strava

Sat

8:08

Melt down for 16

strava

Sun

7:52

Biggest week since March!

strava

7:42

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

ZZCaptainObvious

I'm back! (Working overnight is no fun).

Previous two week updates:

10.5 (3 by 2 mi bleh), 5.5 Easy, Off, 6.5 Easy, 12 (9 mi @ 6:50.4 pace), 5.6 Easy, 16.5 Long (in 80+ heat w/ probably a half a gallon of water)

Pretty happy with this week, even with the long run being broiling.

5.9 Easy, 10.6 (2 by 3 mi blehhhhh), 5.6 Easy, 4.1 Easy on TM, 7.6 Easy wandering in Reading, PA; 4.2 Easy TM, 7 Easy TM

For a business travel week and working nights over the weekend, I'm pretty okay with this.

Jmac, nice race! As to the lungs being the limiting factor in a 5K, I can't say that I've had that. But I also haven't run hard in that kind of heat.