2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Andres1045

Andres - 1:23 wouldn't normally equate to sub-3 for you?  I'm a bit surprised by the reference to the 1:23, and then referring to if you are in sub-3 shape.

As for whether it would normally equate, maybe, but probably not. My endurance sucks. And even more so right now. I don't have the overall mileage or long runs to run hard for a whole marathon. If I tried now, I'm not sure it would end up any better than what I did in NYC (went for ~3:12 and hobbled to 3:27). My guess is I'm in the same shape now as I was then. But if I can get five weeks of good mileage and good long runs in, I will feel better about getting to sub3.

Upcoming races: Boston

finbad

Fin:  Solid week and I like your HM goal!  As for the workout I would suggest scaling it by time since I just ran that exact same one last week.  Something like 20min, 15, 10, 5 etc ...  I chickened out from running the first 4 at my true threshold since that workout scared me a bit.  If I were to try it again I almost feel like I need to taper a bit into it instead of running 12 the day before!  I ended up running the first 4 at uptempo or close to my dream MP and then progressed down to threshold and eventually hammered the last mile. 

Weatherboy, looking at the Daniels 2Q stuff does make me think that you're almost expected to taper into each workout with 3 days of minimum impact miles in between. The snow was coming down pretty hard yesterday so there was no way I was doing that session.

I also had my zoom fly trainers on for the first time in ages and I'd forgotten how nice they are. If you can't stomach paying £210 for a pair of the 4%'s or simply cant get hold of them I'd recommend these as a pretty cheap long run workout shoe.

Steve - Congratulations!

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

weatherboy80

Congrats Steve!!

Welcome back Jayluf!

Dark: Awesome job getting any kind of workout in those conditions.  I vividly remember a tempo workout I did about 2 years ago while I was visiting my in-laws and it was 14F with 20-25 mph winds.  I was nowhere near my actual tempo pace and that wind hurt!

Ran my last little mini-taper workout (4 X 1200's at tempo pace) for my upcoming half this morning on the track and was close to my expected paces, but for some reason everything felt off, a bit stiff, and required more effort than usual.  Not sure what to read into that, but hoping to give my legs a few more days to recover.  I'm guessing if it felt easy or good I should be more worried Wink

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Running Problem

Problem Child

jamc I was thinking about you after my run today. 4:30 is WAY too early to wake up for a run. 4:45 at least gives someone time to get dressed.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

jamc I was thinking about you after my run today. 4:30 is WAY too early to wake up for a run. 4:45 at least gives someone time to get dressed.

I know the day will come when I have children and will need to wake up at that time, but it's an unacceptable hour.

I will say that anyone who voluntarily runs at that hour should be shamed from society.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I know the day will come when I have children and will need to wake up at that time, but it's an unacceptable hour.

I will say that anyone who voluntarily runs at that hour should be shamed from society.

Is it OK to wake at that hour as long as you don't run?  I wake at 4:15 am on track workout mornings, but I don't actually leave the house until 5:50 am.

[need that long to a) take asthma meds, b) feed cats c) eat and digest breakfast, d) respond to overnight work emails, and e) do my pre-workout routine to get everything mobile and firing correctly]

Weatherboy - two words "coiled spring"

8 miles very easy to yoga (9:06), yoga, then another 4 very easy (8:52) plus drills and strides (and then allergy shots)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

You wake up at 4:15 and don't run for another half hour??? That's some great dedication and inspiration.

I am such a night owl compared to everyone on here. Part of it, I think, is I have zero trouble falling asleep if I run at night. I've done huge quality days, normal runs, etc. and been able to fall asleep within 30 minutes of coming home if I want to. Last night I did 12 with some tempo work, got home at 9:30, and was ready to fall asleep on my couch by 10:15. I also don't mind running at 9 or 10 PM at night, especially in the summer when I have zero desire to beat the sunrise.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

You wake up at 4:15 and don't run for another half hour??? That's some great dedication and inspiration.

I am such a night owl compared to everyone on here. Part of it, I think, is I have zero trouble falling asleep if I run at night. I've done huge quality days, normal runs, etc. and been able to fall asleep within 30 minutes of coming home if I want to. Last night I did 12 with some tempo work, got home at 9:30, and was ready to fall asleep on my couch by 10:15. I also don't mind running at 9 or 10 PM at night, especially in the summer when I have zero desire to beat the sunrise.

I can't do that.  If I run after about 2-3 in the afternoon, I'm not sleeping well that night.   My team offers a choice of morning (hard stuff starts at 6:30 am) or evening (hard stuff starts at 7:15 pm) workouts.  I always go with the am - the evening workouts destroy my sleep routine.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

steve_