2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

So... quick check in before I pass out for the night.  Ran 5:38 gun time on Friday.  Mostly happy with the race, a bit regretful that I didn't hammer harder in the last 200, though for all I know I might have run a slower time, had I done so.  Race report here.

I am very tired now - got home on Friday night just after midnight after waking up at 4:15 am that morning;  Saturday was dedicated to sleeping, then some easy running, and then an afternoon/evening wedding party where I didn't drink but stood on my feet for a few hours.  Was tired for my long run this morning (sorry I didn't respond when you said hi, JayLuf!), and I'm about to hit bed now, at 7:30 pm eastern US time.

My week, before I go:

59 miles, 16 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming
    M: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running
    T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 1200, 2x800, and then 4x200. Split 6:11, 4:31, 2:55, 2:51, and then 41, 41, 41, 39. 4:57 recovery after 1600, 2:53 after the 1200, and 2:44 between the 800s. Full recovery betwen the 200s. Also leg strengthwork and 1450 yards recovery swimming.
    W: 4.5 miles very easy (9:12), core and DIY yoga, and 5.5 miles very easy (8:38) plus drills and four hill sprints
    Th: Light upperbody weights, DIY yoga and 7.5 "miles" pool-running.
    F: In the morning, 3 mile shakeout (9:53), then travel to Flint, MI. In the evening, 4.5 miles warm-up, 1 mile in 5:38, .5 cooldown, travel home.
    Sa: 7 miles very easy (8:56), upper body weights/core, and then 5 miles very easy (8:48) plus some drills (no strides).
    Su: 15 miles progressive, split as first 5 averaging 8:35, next 5 averaging 7:19; last 6 averaging 6:48, plus a one mile cooldown jog. Followed with injury prevention work and 550 yards recovery swimming.

Hope to catch up with comments later this week.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Jayluf Nice week and what a great idea to photo bomb the tourist.

JTReeves  That's sweet you modified the Mona. I've done it where I double the whole thing 4,8,8,4 . I won't dare double the 15s though I'd pass out on track and wake up in 3P (pee, puke or poop)

Darkwave what is up with all the mile races are you catching the bug.  5th Ave in NYC?? I had wanted to do USATF Masters race and I thought of it last minute. I'd so split the rental with you, next time you're doing a day trip let me in on it. I gave this one a lot of thought  as I was often talking to a friend from Atlanta Track Club  who has been begging me to show up.

Speaking of 5h Avenue Mile I was locked out my AG sold out. So I went into NYRR on Friday but they won't let me in even though Im the defending champion and has won my heat 4 or 5 times NYRR. I do love it the mile so,  It's the only NYRR race I can consistently crack into the top 2. I've only ever been 1st or 2nd in a heat and my time usually beat the younger heats.

Sport Date Title Time Distance Elevation
      Run  Sun, 8/25/2019  Morning Run  48:57:00 5.70 mi  328 ft 
      Run  Sun, 8/25/2019  Morning Run  1:10:25 8.00 mi  374 ft 
      Run  Sun, 8/25/2019  Morning Run  8:03 0.16 mi  128 ft 
      Long Run  Sat, 8/24/2019  20 miles 🏃🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏿‍♂️🏃🏽‍♂️🚴‍♀️  3:26:07 20.47 mi  138 ft 
      Run  Fri, 8/23/2019  Trees Down almost man down Recovery Run  1:26:07 8.94 mi  118 ft 
      Workout  Thu, 8/22/2019  Hill Sprint Agressions with Pickups ladder  1:00:17 6.81 mi  75 ft 
      Workout  Thu, 8/22/2019  13.5 mile Run with Birthday Girl Nicole 🏃🏻‍♀️ 🏃🏿‍♂️🎂 🍰 🎁  1:50:46 13.46 mi  186 ft 
      Workout  Wed, 8/21/2019  Failed Surging Tempo Workout  1:37:18 12.50 mi  233 ft 
      Run  Wed, 8/21/2019  Warm Up  21:44 2.45 mi  23 ft 
      Run  Tue, 8/20/2019  Morning Run  1:38:52 12.48 mi  784 ft 
      Run  Mon, 8/19/2019  10 mi Recovery Run  1:27:15 10.00 mi  279 ft 
              100.2 mi  

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

madisonrunner

Madison "Let's Roll Buddy."

Nimmals –   Yep, looking forward to throwing down 5:40s with you at CIM.  Nice race at Falmouth and interesting report too.  What’s the training for CIM going to look like?  Much different than what you’re currently doing?

I ended up doing the half marathon race this weekend as an MP workout.  I have been battling a cold all week and on Friday I still felt sick so I made the decision then to not race it.  On Saturday morning I felt pretty good and the race/workout went well.  This was my 4th time doing this half in the last 5 years.  It typically has been pretty competitive (my best place previously was 7th) though this year was less so.  I focused on running 5:50 pace and was able to do that pretty comfortably.  I was in 4th place for the first 8 miles with 1 guy way ahead and 2 others that by mile 6 were about 15s ahead of me.  I kept a steady pace and gained on 2nd/3rd until I passed them both in the 8th or 9th mile.  After successfully completing 12 miles at ~5:48 pace I allowed myself to pick it up slightly and ran the last mile and change in a little under 5:40 pace to finish in 1:15:54.  1st soloed 1:12:50 or so which was about what I thought I could do if I was racing.  So in retrospect it was a good decision to do this as an MP workout since I don’t think my place would have changed if I had raced it.

Overall another good week.  My VO2 max workout on Tuesday was a touch slow but I got all the mileage in.  After 6 straight 100+ mile weeks I’m feeling fit but I can also feel the fatigue.  3 more weeks until the taper starts, and really only 2 more huge mileage weeks.

My week:

M – 10 / 5.8

T – 11.9 (w/ 6x0.75mile VO2 max at ~5:12 pace) / 5.8

W – 5.7 / 15

R – 5.7 / 5.8

F – 10.2 (w/ strides) / 5.8

S – 18.3 (Strider Half Marathon in 1:15:54, 2nd place, 5:48 pace)

S – 10.8

Total = 110.8

This week I get some recovery early in the week but a gauntlet starting Friday to Monday (7 mile LAT, long run of 22, likely a 10k race on Monday).  Planned mileage is again up around 110.  Assuming I do the 10k race I’ll be going after sub 33.

Weather - Congrats!  Are you thinking sub 2:40 at a Fall marathon?

JT - Would Erie become a long run then or not do it at all?

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Madison, nice job on basically a sick day effort. It's amazing how you stuck to your pace until the last mile. I'm all based on feel and if I felt great I'd have exploited it. Which sometimes does make me look like slacker and other times doesn't work and i have to limp home from a blown motor...

As for training it gets cooler so I'll be kicking it up a notch. I plan to race at 145 and i also plan to do some monster workouts. you know consistency is king but I plan to do more MP work. I plan to do variations of the truth run alternate weeks and i plan on consistently hitting weekly (3-4x 2k 2 min rest  3-4x 1k 1 min rest) and I plan to increase the 1k  and 2ks maxing out to 13 miles of work so probably (6x 2k 6x 1k) and along the way variations so I gradually build the strength to do that workout 3-4 weeks out.

NYRR just let me into the mile.......  So excited.... Beast  mode next week.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Nimmals - glad you got in!  I'll cheer for you after my race.

As for your question about racing road miles - I've always liked that distance.  I don't think it's my best distance, but I still enjoy them and I also think they're very good for me in that they promote that power and leg speed that is so easy to lose as we age.  That's why I'm running them even as I'm ramping up marathon training.

Hi to all others - hope to catch up later this week.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Nimmals: Another big week, very nice. Glad you got into the mile. Did you watch the Paris DL meet? Not too exciting except for Noah Lyles 200m win. Zurich should be a good one, Hassan vs Dibaba vs Koko in the 1500. Did not see Muir listed for it, not sure what's up with that.

Madison: Great job with the half at MP with a cold. Your upcoming week sounds very daunting... good luck with the 7 mile LAT. Also hope you can get sub 33 in your 10k if you end up doing it. You asked about Erie; I will not do it at all, since it is a 7 hour drive it is not worth going just to do part of it at MP for a workout.

DW: Congrats on the race!  That's a long way to travel just to race a mile 

2:52:16 (2018)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Darkwave - Thank you, I will also be cheering for you.

A quick course tip stay in the middle just right of the 2nd lane lines, don't hug the right curb as footing is crappy and its bad camber. Plus you have veer left to finish chute.  At about 2 blocks from the finish, is a  little dip, that dip is important if you quick step there and you'll catch people sleeping. In 2015 Sean wade went out like a bullet and was 50 M ahead by the half. I shut the gap down to about 5m by doing a quickstep there if you watch jenny she uses the same place for a decisive finish. Run the course twice in your warm up and you'll notice it.

JTReeves - I watched the meet last night. youre right it wasn't otherwise very exciting but the 1500M and 800m were fun to watch. Geez about Bosse. in 800M I still think Bosse had a great race and McBride took them out.  Abda does such an amazing pacing job. He went early and was a second ahead of pace, initially I thought he done screwed up, as I didn't think anyone was capable of a fast race in a non DL event. Had Abda not gone out, I think the field would have ran a 1:45 if he went through in the 49.5 that 48 lit a fire took the kick out of some. It was my favorite of the meet go figure sine it was non DL. Women 800 was the same i was confident Hannah would win but I was expecting an kick attack, how late she waited and still won was unreal. #NeverGiveUp

True story. I'm in Burlington last week I see an Adidas speed suit on the rack. I'm like WTF that Noah Lyles current gear. So i pick it up expecting $60 it was $7.99. I snatched it ran to the register before they changed their mind. The Adidas sticker still said $199. I'm seeing them on ebay for $110-150.  Needless to say I was very please with my find I might run 5th ave in an Adidas speed suit and bright green Vaporflys. lol that Pink set would match the gray perfectly. oh I watch the meet in it yelling at the TV, my kids were laughing the entire time they must find me so embarrassing.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave - Thank you, I will also be cheering for you.

A quick course tip stay in the middle just right of the 2nd lane lines, don't hug the right curb as footing is crappy and its bad camber. Plus you have veer left to finish chute.  At about 2 blocks from the finish, is a  little dip, that dip is important if you quick step there and you'll catch people sleeping. In 2015 Sean wade went out like a bullet and was 50 M ahead by the half. I shut the gap down to about 5m by doing a quickstep there if you watch jenny she uses the same place for a decisive finish. Run the course twice in your warm up and you'll notice it.

Thanks very much for the tips - will keep them in mind.

Re: Noah Lyles - would just like to note for the record that he's from the DC area; lives in the next town over (he's Alexandria; I'm Arlington). He has a younger brother, Josephus. And IIRC, they went pro at the same time. I'm hoping we'll start to hear and see more of Josephus soon.

CalBears

Ok, I think I am finally earned the opportunity to join the cohort...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Ok, I think I am finally earned the opportunity to join the cohort...

details?

ZZCaptainObvious

ZZCaptainObvious

Rockin' Brews

8/31

Sub 3:00

Did not get there - 3:09:01 after going through the first half at 1:31 ish counting the quick bathroom stop.

Main takeaways:

• this course is deceptive
                        • I did NOT have the training for sub 3 (I think)
                        • 55 is just warm enough that throughout the race, I was getting hot
                        • my failure state is still solid enough to keep the lights on and fighting (I was in a pack of six people, five full and one half, and passed all of them in the second half)
                        • two lap marathon courses are brutal especially if the half marathon starts at the same time
                        • I need to figure out some of these gut issues, assuming that this isn't a sickness... It's weird, because it's only during races, so it's probably nerves?

Not sure what comes next. One of my friends is pumping for Rocket City in December, another is really interested in Catalina Island in March 2020 (which would be closer to ultra...)

All in all, I went for the race, so I'm okay with it. I gave it a shot knowing that it was going to be a delicate process and it was not the day.

Captain: Sorry the sub 3 did not work out, but sounds like you at least learned something which is important for future marathon success. As I said earlier, you had tremendous wheels in the not-so-distant past so; a 32-something 10k may be the best from this thread; so the potential for a very fast marathon is there. From what you posted of your training I think more mileage and consistent mileage may be the keys. And hopefully you can sort out the stomach issues...a few others here have similar problems and maybe can offer their 2 cents...

Nimmals: Thoughts on Zurich? What an amazing 1500 (women's) and 800 (men's)! Hassan shot by Dibaba like she was standing still that last lap. Koko also had way more speed closing than I thought she was capable of. Great 1-2 finish for them. And Brazier absolutely smoked Amos in the last 100m of the 800... though it was part Amos slowing way down and part Donovan closing strong. Amos was a clown going out in 48.2; no wonder he tied up in the end. At world champs I won;t be surprised if he goes out in sub 48 sec. He's trying to break the WR all in the first lap. King David went through the first 400 of his London WR in 49.28; the key is holding on in the second lap.

Cal: You already did join the cohort, but then left it for a hiatus... Welcome back regardless. Are you gearing up for CIM?  Lots of people here are doing CIM... all the cool people (thus, not me ).

CalBears

details?

rovatti - I hope I earned the right to join just by finally running consistently for last 4 weeks after 2 months (June, July) of no running - got really lazy and unmotivated again ;(

But the last 3 weeks were 13, 30 and 35 miles. This week will end up at 60 miles if I run 17 miles LR tomorrow as planned. All - easy running - no pursuing any specific paces - just to get some conditioning back.

JTReeves - yes, I am running CIM, like every previous year starting in 2012 when we moved here. It's local race for me, very simple, no frills, but I love it - every year. except 2012 we had great running weather on marathon day. All these years I continued to promote it and I see I did a great job as so many runners from this thread are running it this year - and Sean running it for the second year in a row. Nimmals too- but I am pretty sure it's because CIM is a qualifier and he has a lot of padawans Smile

So, JTReeves - please add few races to the table which I am planning to run:

11/3/19 - Clarksburg Half marathon - would be happy to run sub 1:28

11/24/19 - Lake Merritt 15K  - targeting pace somewhere between 6:30 and 6:40 mpm

12/08/19 - CIM - sub 3

Thanks!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

madisonrunner

Captain - Sorry to miss your goal but good that you learned from it.  More mileage (and consistent mileage) and you'll get there.

Cal - Welcome back.

Me - A bit of a scare (hopefully) this week.  In the shower after my 15 mile mid-week long run Wednesday morning I felt very localized pain on my tibia.  I had no pain while running but pressing in a very specific area was painful.  I skipped my evening run home.  On Thursday I ran home without any pain and on Friday I did my LT as planned.  Friday afternoon I saw my doctor, got an x-ray (negative), and decided against an MRI since I don't have any pain (unless I press on the area).  I ran my planned Saturday and Sunday runs still without pain and pressing on the area now is less painful then before.  So I don't think it is a stress fracture but I am watching it closely.  Any sign of pain while running and I will be stopping and getting an MRI.  The one good thing is I had been feeling pretty tired but with skipping 3 runs I felt ready to roll on my LT and my long run.

I'm planning to race a 10k tomorrow with a goal of sub 33.

M - 10.4 / 5.8 (w/ strides)

T - 5.6 / 5.7

W - 15.1

R - 5.8

F - 13.9 (7 mile LT @  5:30/mile pace)

S - 10 (w/ strides)
                              S - 22.4 (6:50s down to 6:40s for first 17, than 6:20s for the last 5)

94.9 total

Cal: Table is updated and glad you are also doing CIM. I think Nimmals will have padawans there but will be racing seriously this time, he and madison will be going for a very fast time. With all the people running it from here will be great to track! I hope your build-up keeps going smoothly.

Madison: That would be a big scare. I've had similar sudden pains in that area and it scares the hell out of me. That you were able to get through the rest of the week, especially that long run without feeling anything strongly suggests it is not a SF. Not sure if you have done it but the jump test is also a good indicator (jump with the affected leg only), if no pain for that it's also a good sign. I hope it was just an anomaly. Great week and good luck on that 10k.

Weather: Hope you are out of harm's way. I'm assuming you relocated to the west till the storm passes?

My week was all easy mileage. Just did not have energy to do any workout this week. I think the length of this training cycle is catching up to me. Think I should be recovered enough to have some kind of workout this week. I am incorporating a bit more in the way of hills since my race will now have some; when the target was Erie I did not have to plan for any hills.

Weekly Summary
                                Monday, Aug 26, 2019 thru Sunday, Sep 01, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                                Tue 6.4 8:29 Morning Run 352 strava
                                Wed 14.1 7:36 MLR 680 strava
                                Thu 8.3 8:32 Morning Run 442 strava
                                Fri 10.2 8:22 Morning Run 513 strava
                                Sat 10.4 8:47 Morning Run during Matthew’s XC practice 972 strava
                                Sun 23.0 7:53 Long run 1140 strava
                                  72.4 8:10   4099