2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

weatherboy80

Hey all just a quick check in after the storm.  We actually still went on our planned Labor Day Disney cruise and got extended an extra 3 nights with the path of Dorian so I was well away from Florida and the Bahamas!  Really feel for the folks in the northern Bahamas with what they had to endure.  No way would I stay for anything that strong.   Our cruise ship actually dropped off water, supplies, and food to Castaway Cay on Wednesday after the storm passed which was nice to see.

As for my recent running my "planned" 5K race last weekend obviously got cancelled, but I tried to stay as active as possible (no big workouts though) in the last 10-12 days.  Think my mileage is down into the 60's which is probably a nice step back before I launch into my next cycle later this month.  What do folks think about a 12-14 week marathon cycle especially for someone that runs year round?  Also thinking I sale back several of the workouts from the full Daniels Q2 plan.  Anyways I hope to post more regularly over the next few weeks!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

That's awesome you got 3 extra at sea days. That once happened to me luckily for you, you live in Florida it was a blessing and a curse for me as I flew Florida I had to get a new flight. But the silver lining was I met Nancy from Sarasota on the "Fun Deck" (Carnival).  Turned into the most amazing cruise.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Weather: Glad your cruise allowed you to get out of the storm's path! We went on a Disney cruise when my son was about 4 or 5 and it was great. Castaway Cay was beautiful.

2:52:16 (2018)

Great job 5th avenue milers! Congrats DW on equaling your PR. Nimmals, how did it go?

Also great job Lela breaking 3 at Erie.

Things went better for me this week. Felt less fatigued and managed a 3 x 2 mi workout. It was the first time I've ever been under 12 min for any 2 mile repeats on the road; slow for most of you but good for a slowpoke like me .

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Sep 02, 2019 thru Sunday, Sep 08, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
          Tue 10.1 8:15 Morning Run 505 strava
          Wed 10.1 8:14 Morning Run 502 strava
          Thu 12.8 6:58 3 x 2 miles 499 strava
          Fri 5.1 9:06 Morning Run 341 strava
          Fri 8.3 8:39 Morning Run 447 strava
          Sat 7.5 9:10 Trails in Sega Park 558 strava
          Sun 22.6 8:08 Long run 2175 strava
            76.5 8:11   5027  

CalBears

Felt less fatigued and managed a 3 x 2 mi workout. It was the first time I've ever been under 12 min for any 2 mile repeats on the road; slow for most of you but good for a slowpoke like me .

"Felt less fatigued" - with with 76 miles week - nice! Smile And thank you for reminding I am not in the "most of you" group as I can't imagine running two sub 6 minutes miles in a row Smile

Continued to work on the consistent running this past week, one more week of "mileage" running before starting a plan (I think first time since end of 2015 cycle). Just to have some discipline for a change.

My week:

Mon - off

Tue - 9.6 @9:37

Wed - 11.2 @9:31

Thu - 11.3 @9:13

Fri - 11.3 @9:19

Sat - off

Sun - 20.2 @ 8:27

Total: 63.7 mi

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

cinnamon girl

JTReeves: sub-12 2 mi repeats are solid.  That's a great week there - strong work with all of the egain in your runs and week is amazing. I did about 850 ft in a 14 miler today and I thought that seemed like enough. Is Hartford hilly?

I missed August - it was a crap month in a lot of ways. Averaged around 30 mpw - I think the lowest month I've had since injured in 2012. Last week was the start of returning to training - with 53 miles after running some hilly legs in Hood to Coast.  This week was adding a bit more with 66 miles and 2 mini workouts plus a med-long run.

M: 10 mi (8:57)
              T: 10 mi with 4 mi of 2 min on/off
              W: 12 mi (7:55)
              T: 0
              F: 10 mi with 4 mi (6:12)
              S: 10 mi (8:15)
              S: 14 mi hilly with 850 ft gain (8:15)

Friday was my first continuous tempo since I don’t know when. The broken tempos in the heat do come together when the temps come down. This one was in the low 70s vs broken ones had been in low 90s.

Weather: I think you answered your question - I'm sure a 12-14 week cycle would be just fine for you, given the fitness / training level you've been consistent at for awhile.

Jayluf - plans coming together for Berlin?!

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

65 mile week. Low week for me this was the week of the mile. Three mile races within 8 days so mileage was on the low side.

I missed seeing Darkwave but ran into Rovatti. Had a great 5th Avenue mile. I wanted to run a dominant race. I also considered running for a faster time but in the end  Ego took over and I wanted to show Falmouth I don't crack so decided to show-off. Luckily it worked out for me I won by a considerable margin.

5th AVE race recap:

5th Ave Mile 4:25. Today was not about time it was to run an aggressive race. I ran the race in 4 tactical quarters, get out, take control and when everyone sought to coast the hill pushed it. At 800 another surge, I wanted to make sure if they were any kickers they would have to run my race. Today was about Stotan strength. Run it hard, run it fast. Then at 400 to go, push again.
                So glad it worked out honestly my legs were like jelly at the end you can even see the wobble 50 meters out but it was just the way I wanted it to play out. So happy, can someone remind me to sign up early next year.

I think its best I keep this short I was so emotionally worked up about this race due to the way things went down in Falmouth.

I need to move on, I think I proved my point. Today someone a friend of his said its 1-1 . I got some great advise from my GF for the future, I race everyone in the race in my division not, absolutely no coasting, no holding back. Make everyone a master so Falmouth could never happen again. That was a painful and costly lesson. But I've learned and will always  be paying attention.

1-1 Huh! Luckily for me I get to make it 2-1 in two weeks against tall skinny guy (Falmouth).

Great job 5th avenue milers! Congrats DW on equaling your PR. Nimmals, how did it go?

I'll answer for nimmals, as I saw his entire race on the Jumbotron.  (The camera truck travels in front of each heat, and he lead wire-to wire).

4:25, 1st in 40-49yo men, AG%=93.35

Took the lead at the gun.... a tall skinny guy was on his shoulder until 800m... he surged and dropped him...solo to the end.

I saw the last 200m of dw's race... looked smooth at the end.

5:25. 2nd in 45-49yo women, AG%=86.55

Congrats!

finbad

Greetings runners!

Just popping in cos JMAC told me to. Still not doing any marathon training so I'll not be posting for a while but I have signed up for London next spring so will reactivate. Hope all of you with NY and other autumn races are going strong. I'll do some reading back through this thread and get reaquainted.

mad good mile race there Nimmals -AG%=93.35 pfffffft

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Checking in quickly while I catch up on everything - was bummed to miss Nimmal's awesome race (one of my cats was sick, so I scrapped my previous plans to hang out and cheer post race in favor of hopping on the first train back home).

Cross-posting from 3:20 to save time while I catch up on everything....

My race report is here.

And...my week:

50 miles, 15 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming
                      M: Yoga and 7.5 "miles" of pool-running
                      T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2x800, 1600, 2x800. Split 3:01, 2:56, 5:57, 2:51, 2:47. Recoveries of 2:2x after the 800s, 4:55 after the 1600. Also light leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                      W: 5 miles very easy (9:02), yoga, and then 4 miles very easy (8:22).
                      Th: Upperbody weights, core and 7.5 "miles" of pool-running.
                      F: 9 miles, including a quick perk-me-up of 4x400, 2x200, 4x100 in 87, 90, 89, 88, 44, 43, 22, 21, 22, 21. 100m float between most; 200m float between the 200s and the 100s.. Followed with 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                      Sa: 7 miles easy (8:50).
                      Su: 4 mile warm-up, 5th Avenue Mile in 5:25; 1 mile cooldown. Later did 6 miles very easy (8:45)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I need to move on, I think I proved my point. Today someone a friend of his said its 1-1 . I got some great advise from my GF for the future, I race everyone in the race in my division not, absolutely no coasting, no holding back. Make everyone a master so Falmouth could never happen again. That was a painful and costly lesson. But I've learned and will always  be paying attention.

Nimmals: That is some excellent advice from your GF. And awesome job with the win and with schooling the Falmouth Burglar! A 93% AG performance is just incredible.

Cal: Nice job building up; I am impressed how you can go relatively quickly from no running up to significant mileage.

Cinnamon: Good to see you back! Nice week; lower temps help a lot with longer T efforts but you are still in what I would consider hot temps!  When it gets down in the 50s you will be absolutely flying. Hartford is hillier than Erie but still relatively flat; but I am trying to incorporate more hills since I switched to Hartford.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I'll answer for nimmals, as I saw his entire race on the Jumbotron.  (The camera truck travels in front of each heat, and he lead wire-to wire).

4:25, 1st in 40-49yo men, AG%=93.35

Took the lead at the gun.... a tall skinny guy was on his shoulder until 800m... he surged and dropped him...solo to the end.

I saw the last 200m of dw's race... looked smooth at the end.

5:25. 2nd in 45-49yo women, AG%=86.55

Congrats!

Wow, congrats to you both!  You two and Cal post the slowest easy runs on my Strava feed....so maybe the muppet who started the “dead zone” poll a few months ago will take note of your race results. 😁

JT - Your training has been really impressive and I hope that you finally get some decent weather as you’ve been in Sub 2:50 shape for a while now. 👍

I’m also in for London next year, but might jump into a marathon before then. It’s starting to get cooler and darker now and that’s when I come alive again.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather - glad everything was okay with you! Regarding your question, I'm doing exactly a 12 week cycle this time. I find that 18 weeks is just unnecessary unless you've been a slug. 15 weeks is probably ideal, but 12 works as well. I don't think anyone should need more than 9-10 weeks of intense workouts to get marathon ready as long as you've been running good mileage previously. My Boston buildup ended up being only 12 weeks as well, and I still had a lack of Q days due to injuries.

Nimmals - great job, as usual. I agree with Mikkey, you are by far the slowest easy runner I see and it gives me a lot of confidence in my own much slower pace recently. Is there ever an easy pace where you say "this really is too slow?" Also, you should definitely race the LI Half, I want someone to chase after 

Fin - thanks for popping by. Can you recap some of your summer races, thought you had some good ones in there!

DW - great race and RR! One thing I found interesting was that you didn't seem thrilled with the idea of shorts over a shirt. I actually love when a race gives me something besides a shirt! I have too many damn race shirts and will take anything else.

JT - how was the weather at Erie? Hopefully no regrets for switching.

Mikkey - I always knew you were a vampire.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey: Thanks for the vote of confidence! The temp will likely be good for Hartford; even if it rains I won;t mind (too much), just need to have cool temps.

JMac: The weather for Erie ended up being too warm for my liking; about 62 at the start and 66 by the finish. Not terrible, but for me about 20 degrees too warm. I don't want to blow a good training cycle on a race with grab-ass weather conditions. Maybe Lela will drop in to let us know how she found it weather-wise; she actually raced it and did well with a 2:58.  But she has been AWOL here for a long time....

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Finbad, JTReeves Mikkey, Thank you guys for the congrats and well wishes. I was so worked up about the whole Falmouth thing but you live and you learn. He ran 15:17  and 15:18 5ks recently on the track im no track runner but I have never been under 15:30 for a 5k since I started back running in 2007 so Im looking forward to meeting him in the cow harbor 10K we will be fighting for 2nd as Kevin castile will be back To double dip.

Darkwave Nice race I saw the finish of your race my GF recorded your heat, she knows I have a crush on Jen Rhines so she mostly focused on Jen then panned back to you, LOL

JMAC, thank again as far as slow goes I just run on feel I let my body dictate I may start a run at 7:30 and slow considerably or pick it up towards the end on the long easy runs. If it's not a workout I let my body choose the pace and nothing is too slow.  I once did a 20 miler with a lady I met on the bike pat,h she had this amazing convertible so I was  asking her about her car and we just started talking about everything. We ran talked for hours she was running 9:30\mi and kept apologizing it was such a relief to do 20 miles that slow we talked entire time. Time flew, alone I'd probably been faster but that felt comfortable. I also run slow on Monday morning to recover from a Sunday long run. Darkwave and I have so many similarities in running, What's weird we are also in the same field of work ediscovery. But the cats, now there ends the similarities. LOL

Nimmals Finish

Jen Rhines Darkwave Heat

Lets attack the Hill