2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

If I was this late in my career and had multiple Olympic gold medals I’d probably want the marathon WR more also.  Would love to see them throw down though.

I was looking to see if anyone has held the 5k, 10k, and marathon WRs at the same time; I thought maybe Zatopek had done it but does not look like it (he won all 3 in the 1952 Olympics, something nobody else has matched). Kenny's 5k and 10k will probably be safe for the remainder of his career, so if he gets the marathon WR he would be in uncharted territory.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Anyone picking Bekele over Kipchoge is lighting money on fire in my opinion. Yes, he almost broke the WR, but Kipchoge has not had any real competition like Bekele did for 35K today, although London certainly was closer than it should have been.

DW - the forecast for NYC on Wednesday is NINETY degrees. Um, I thought it's October? Anyway yeah I don't because I like the idea of just going for fat adaptation, but it's clear that it didn't work out this time. Will carry at least 2 of them going forward. I've never been bothered with carrying them during a race, so never felt the need to practice, except during MP runs so my stomach gets used to taking them in at a faster pace.

JT - I threw up at mile 18.5, so I can't see how it was something upsetting my stomach. I started getting hungry at about mile 8, and the waves of hunger kept getting worse and worse, so I'm sure it was that. Also, I threw up pure water, so nothing was left of the energy bar I had.

So happy your cold is now gone. What is your taper going to look like given your mileage was all screwed up recently?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JT - I threw up at mile 18.5, so I can't see how it was something upsetting my stomach. I started getting hungry at about mile 8, and the waves of hunger kept getting worse and worse, so I'm sure it was that. Also, I threw up pure water, so nothing was left of the energy bar I had.

So happy your cold is now gone. What is your taper going to look like given your mileage was all screwed up recently?

Not sure exactly, as things are a bit screwed up by a trip to California this week (flying out Tues, back Thurs).  Tomorrow will be off as Mondays always are, and Thursday will be off as well due to the travel back from CA. Most likely easy 8-10 on Tues and Wed, then some sort of hard session Friday, easy Saturday, then 12-14 on Sunday. Probably something like 50-55 miles total.

weatherboy80

Just an awesome performance by Bekele at Berlin, but also agree that Kipchoge is likely just a bit faster especially when you factor in the competition.

JMac: Agree that this heat is ridiculous, but at least you have a cool down in sight towards the end of the week.  For us in Florida there is no indication of any such thing.  In fact, our lows have been hovering above 80 degrees each morning again.  Solid looking week last week too!  Sucks about the LR nausea though.

Cal: Nice looking consistent week.

Swim: Welcome back!

DW: Solid looking week and really like that LR/progression you got in yesterday!

JT: Have a safe trip!  Glad you are feeling a bit better and welcome to taper!  I think you are the first up for racing this fall Wink

Jay: Congrats on Berlin!

Me: Biggest week in quite some time topping out at 85 miles with 2 solid Q days.  Hit the bridge for the first one on Wednesday and ran some solid 1200 meter interval effort repeats.  Hadn't done this type of workout in quite some time and was reminded how much they hurt after a few.  Second Q day was on Saturday where I mixed in mile repeats after a nice steady warmup of 6 miles.  Likely overan these a bit, especially with the heat, as the 5 miles afterwards felt like a death march.  Also spent some time on Sunday working on my hamstrings as I noticed the one was pretty tight all day Saturday.  Can really tell they are weak so I'm gonna work on addressing the glutes and hamstrings over the next few weeks.  Finally gonna take a step back week, mileage wise this week (every fourth week or so) as we are heading up to Buffalo for an extended weekend for a wedding.  Hoping to take advantage of the cooler conditions for a few days as well.

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Sep 23, 2019 thru Sunday, Sep 29, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Link
          Mon 12.2 7:36 70 degrees mainland and still 80 beachside ... Seems like I made the wrong choice! strava
          Mon 4.3 8:07 Afternoon Run strava
          Tue 11.2 7:54 EZ + strides strava
          Wed 3.7 9:06 Warm up strava
          Wed 4.8 6:14 5 X 1200m bridge repeats w/ 400m slog recovery strava
          Wed 5.1 8:29 Long cool down strava
          Wed 4.5 8:14 18 for the day 😴 strava
          Thu 10.2 8:31 Dead legs 🦵 strava
          Fri 6.2 7:53 EZ + strides strava
          Sat 17.2 6:57 6E + 6 X 1mi (@5:41 avg) + 5 meltdown strava
          Sun 5.5 8:26 Nice and EZ to finish out 85 for the week strava
            84.9 7:48    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

BTW, anyone notice Kenny is sponsored by Nike now (I think he was Adidas for most his career) and was wearing... you guessed it, VFs.

Just jumping in, because I thought this post was originally on the other thread.

Did some research - he's been with Nike since his first marathon in 2014, at least.  I've confirmed with photos that he's worn the VF for every marathon since the start of 2017.  (might have been earlier - I didn't go that far back).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather - you...taking step back weeks? WHAT'S GOING ON? Also you should sneak into a race in Buffalo this weekend. My forecast this Saturday has a TDP 82! I'm sure it's probably going to be cold in Buffalo.

Speaking of my race, looking forward to my 10K this Saturday. I can't even fathom what running in a TDP of 82 is like right now, but I'm so excited! I might actually have to find some damn gloves!

Which reminds me, need to buy mittens right now because no glove has ever helped me enough. For those fellow Raynaud's folks out there, if you have mitten recommendations, I'm all ears (hands?)! DW this is basically directed at you.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Which reminds me, need to buy mittens right now because no glove has ever helped me enough. For those fellow Raynaud's folks out there, if you have mitten recommendations, I'm all ears (hands?)! DW this is basically directed at you.

So...here's the thing with Raynauds.  Gloves and mittens work by retaining the heat that your hands generate.  But...during a Raynauds attack, my hands generate no heat.  I can have the best gloves/mittens out there, and if it's 45 degrees and my Raynauds is flaring, it accomplishes very little.

So, I handle it by buying 1-2 boxes of "little hotties" handwarmers off of Amazon each year.  I like them because they're biodegradable - if I drop one on a long run I don't worry about it the way I do if I drop a gel wrapper.  A box of 40 costs around $20 US, and you can re-use a pair 2-3 times by sealing them in an airtight container/bag between runs.

For runs down to about 30 degrees, I use convertible mitten/gloves - I'm not sure the brand really matters. I have thin ones for days 40 degrees and warmer, and thicker ones for under 40 degrees.

Once we get to sub-freezing temps, I go hard core with a big pair of snow boarding mittens I picked up at REI.  Honestly, if you've got Raynauds and run in sub-freezing temps, I really think snowboarding mittens are the way to go. It's not like you need your hands to run, anyway.  It's slightly challenging, but I can take gels and lap my Garmin while wearing the snow boarding mittens.  And I'm less clumsy with the mittens than I am with frozen non-functioning hands.

I tuck the little hotties into the mitten pocket of the mitten/glove combo, or into the mitten of the snowboarding mittens.  I've been good down to just above zero degrees F with the snowboarding mitten/handwarmer combo.

And....you didn't ask, but I tape over the tops of my running shoes with KT tape in the winter - it just gives a bit of extra insulation and keeps my toes warm.  I don't have Raynauds issues in my feet while running (though I do at other times) - I suspect that it's because the running and the pounding forces the blood to keep flowing.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

slingrunner

Problem with gloves for Raynaud's for me at least, is that with gloves/mittens, my hands basically have two settings... numb, or way too hot.  I go arm warmers when it is cold, and arm warmers inside mittens when it is very cold/windy.  If it's not windy, the purpose of mittens instead of gloves is to keep the fingers working together...wrapping them up in arm warmers accomplishes that in a far more flexible light weight way.  I got my gloves standard ones at REI.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

madisonrunner

I took 15 days off of running and started back up on Saturday with an easy 2 miles.  I ran 8 on Sunday, another 8 on Monday (with strides), and 12.5 this morning (Tuesday).  I haven't had pain but have had some soreness.  Assuming I don't have any pain in the next few days I'm planning to start the Lakefront marathon Sunday and to run the first 10 at marathon pace.  Unless I feel like I have a good shot at a personal best I'll slow down for about a 7 mile warmdown and have my wife pick me up at 17.  So I'm still leaving open the possibility of racing it but it's more likely this will just be a workout in preparation for CIM.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Madison - be careful in that marathon. I have a strong sense you're going to feel great at the 10 mile point and you're going to keep pushing it (mainly because it's like you had a big taper) and then shit will hit the fan around mile 18.

DW - A few things

1) You triggered me regarding dropping a gel wrapper. It angers me so much how many of those I see on the ground in Central Park. Clearly people thing that it's acceptable to be running and just throw it on the ground behind them. I'm sorry, but there are garbage cans literally every quarter of a mile in CP, throw your damn trash in them. If I ever see someone actually do this, I'm going to get into a heated shouting match, I just know it /rant

2) I like this approach: warmish days just light gloves, colder days mittens, very cold days mittens plus hand warmers. I used to just keep going up in the thickness of gloves, but you identified the problem: my hands aren't creating heat so it doesn't matter how thick the gloves are.

3) My feet never get cold while running either! I think you'e right, because they get FROZEN if I'm skiing in 35 degree weather, yet I can go for a run in 20 degree weather and be completely fine. You would think skiing would be better too because those boots don't let any air in, whereas a sneaker is breathable.

Sling - good to hear from you, thanks for the tips. I'm definitely going to use more arm warmers this winter, my forearms kept getting cold last winter even when my core was great, which just means I need some more protection on the wrists.

weatherboy80

JMac: Really wish I could find a race up north this weekend, but since we are there for a wedding, and all the festivities that go along with that, don't think I'll have the time, especially  since the diet will not be that conducive anyways.   Furthermore, I think I tweaked the tight hamstring that I mentioned about last week in my interval/speed workout this morning Sad  Didn't feel all that bad during, but now it is quite sore so this trip may act as a blessing in disguise to get it recovered properly.  I'm still over 14 weeks out and just completed my 4th V02 max effort in the last 4 weeks so probably better to shut it down or just run EZ, if able, for a few days.

Madison: glad to hear you are back out there, but as Jmac mentioned be careful ...

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Real quiet in here.

JT - how is the taper going? Are you already obsessing over weather, and how is it looking?

Nimmals - what are you targeting for the BAA Half?

Mikkey - now that you are running for real again, can you actually pop in?

Me - Ready for my 10K tomorrow. Legs don't feel great since I didn't taper, but that's all good. I was thinking about when the pain really hits in races since I haven't run a 10K in a LONG time, and I realized it's always about 70% through the race for me. It's always the most shocking for me in a half, because I always go in thinking the real pain isn't until mile 11, but it truly starts around mile 8-9 for me. The marathon has had a bit more variability for me, but I've definitely been hurting around mile 19 in a couple of my marathons.

Do you guys generally line up with that 70% rule?

Real quiet in here.

JT - how is the taper going? Are you already obsessing over weather, and how is it looking?

Hey JMac, thanks for asking. So far so good. As I mentioned a trip to CA from Tues-Thurs this week kind of complicated things a bit; I did have a nice run in perfect conditions Wednesday in Pasadena; dew point of 40 and about 55 deg. Yesterday was a full day of travel back to CT so could not get in a run, and I had planned to do a hard workout this morning but was not up to doing it in the dark on wet dirt roads, so I will do it tomorrow. Weatherwise, things look really good right now...knock on wood. I may finally break my streak of marathons in pouring rain start to finish!

Good luck on your 10k this weekend!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Me - Ready for my 10K tomorrow. Legs don't feel great since I didn't taper, but that's all good. I was thinking about when the pain really hits in races since I haven't run a 10K in a LONG time, and I realized it's always about 70% through the race for me. It's always the most shocking for me in a half, because I always go in thinking the real pain isn't until mile 11, but it truly starts around mile 8-9 for me. The marathon has had a bit more variability for me, but I've definitely been hurting around mile 19 in a couple of my marathons.

Do you guys generally line up with that 70% rule?

Have a great race, Jmac!

I do agree that about 3/4s through is the moment in truth in most distances - the notorious 3rd lap in the mile, and miles 18-20 in the marathon.  I think that some, but not all, of it is psychological - that's the point where you've been going for a long time, but the end isn't yet close."

3/4s in is where I get really snippy at people who cheer "you're almost done!"

weatherboy80

Good luck JMac!