2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - now that you are running for real again, can you actually pop in?

Well I’m happy to pop in to give a massive congrats on your new 10k PR!  I’ve always said that you race even better than you train and yesterday was no exception!

Im going to miss you next year when you give up running to have a baby. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

JMac - congrats on 10K PR - very impressive!

This week was similar to the previous one - never felt really fresh - every time needed at least 2 miles just to feel my legs reacting. Today's LR supposed to be a progressive run with some LT at the end - but skipped the "progressive" part due to tiredness and only had 2 @LT and still only coincidentally - some teenage girl passed me like I was dead about 5 miles from finish and I decided that it won't happen today - passed her and then decided to have another 2 miles @LT Smile

Mon - 4.3 @recovery (10:13)

Tue - 10.2 @GA (8:50)

Wed 11.2 - 20mins@LT(6:36)-5mins@recovery-18mins@LT(7:15)

Thu - 13.6 @endurance (7:48)

Fri - 6.5 @recovery (10:01)

Sat - 10.5 @GA (8:43) - 6x12secs hills and 8x100 strides

Sun - 20.2 @easy (8:18) with 2@LT (6:51) at the end

Total: 76.6 mi

Next week is a recovery week - maybe not mileage wise but intensity wise for sure.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Chiming in with the congrats to Jmac - well deserved.  Great time and great placing!

Calbears - I was amused by your comment about the finish to your long run - I feel like I've been on the receiving end of that one!

My week:

70 miles, "21 miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming
        M: 8 miles (9:03), 6 "miles" of pool-running, and upper body weights/core.
        T: 14 miles, including a track workout of 2x1600, 4x800 in 6:10, 5:59, 2:57, 2:58, 2:57 (recoveries of 4:39, 4:30 after the 1600s; recoveries after the 800s were between 2:17 and 2:25. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
        W: 6 miles very easy (9:08), drills+strides, yoga, and then 3 miles very easy (8:24), followed by 3 "miles" poolrunning.
        Th: Upper body weights/core, and 12 "miles" of pool-running.
        F: 8 miles very easy (8:48), yoga, then 4 miles very easy (8:29) plus drills and strides.
        Sa: 17 miles, including 2x5 miles at marathon effort
        - first 5 in 32:59 (6:36 pace - 6:37/6:28/6:43/6:35/6:36)
        - 1 mile float in 7:38
        - second 5 in 32:45 (6:33 pace - 6:34/6:36/6:35/6:29/6:31)
        Followed with injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.
        Su: 6 miles very easy (8:58), yoga, and then 4 miles very easy (8:29), followed by drills and strides.

Weather broke on Saturday, finally.  It was simply amazing to run in low humidity and 50 degrees (it's been so long that Tuesday's 68 degrees with 100% humidity actually felt like a good day at the time...).  Based on Saturday's long run, I'm fairly confident I have the fitness to go sub-2:55 at Indy, if we get similarly fantastic weather.  Tentatively I'm thinking that low 83s is a good target for Columbus in 2 weeks, though I need to see what the weather will be for that one also.

Re: our ongoing convo on shoes - I've been wearing the Adios 1 Boost from several  years ago for all of my long runs this cycle.  Primarily because I had that slight posterior tibial tendon issue a few weeks back, and so I've been playing it careful ever since- this shoe seems to be the best in my collection for that issue.    I never wore this shoe much when I got it as it felt just a bit awkward and stiff - the Adios 2 felt a bit more nimble so I preferred that one.

But...based on my last few long runs in this shoe, I'm thinking I completely misjudged it before.  Wow does it feel great at marathon pace.  I don't think I'll wear it for my marathon, simply because the forefoot is very thin (like paper) and the neuroma in my right foot starts talking to me at the very end of long runs.   But still.  I'm feeling a bit sheepish that I've completely misjudged this shoe (and even more sheepish that I didn't stock up on them at the time, like I did with the Adios 2 Boost).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hey thanks guys! 34:49 officially for a PR in my 10K on Saturday. I am really pumped about it, as I had no taper into it and in fact ran it towards the end of my longest week ever. I never actually redlined in this race, which a) made it fairly enjoyable! and b) means I may have had more in the tank. Stomach got the best of me in the last mile so I couldn't really hammer it home. Will write up a full race report over on sub 1:30, for those of you who care. Can't wait to get back out there in a few weeks out in the land of nimmals and go for that 1:15 in the half.

Mikkey - you've been a big supporter of my racing over the past couple of years, really appreciate it!

Cal - do you have any tune up races planned during this build up?

DW - that was one hell of a week! I've been battling PTT now for a year so I feel your pain. I'm also surprised you are even thinking of running a marathon in anything but the VF, is that seriously in consideration?

JT - where you at, it's almost showtime!

Me - dumping off my week. As mentioned above, this is new mileage territory for me, but my legs feel great. Really think it's been slowing down on easy/recovery days that's led to me feeling so good. Anyway, only other comment is that my Monday run at MP was all OVER the place. I really forgot how hard MP feels when your not fully tapered, especially because this is the first time I've touched MP since Boston. I then started getting too fast towards the later section of the workout.

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Sep 30, 2019 thru Sunday, Oct 06, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Link
          Mon 18.0 7:02 6E + 10M + 2E strava
          Tue 6.7 8:42 😈 strava
          Wed 11.0 8:02 Evening Run strava
          Thu 10.9 8:07 Evening Run strava
          Fri 7.1 8:35 Excited to race 🏃 strava
          Sat 2.3 8:04 Warm Up strava
          Sat 6.2 5:34 Grete's Great Gallop 10K - 34:49 (1:10 PR!) strava
          Sat 4.2 8:09 Cool Down strava
          Sun 9.0 7:50 Afternoon Run strava
            75.4 7:42

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Swim5599

DW really nice week.  Lots of different zones hit

JMac that was a killer 10k.  You should be thrilled

Cal definitely seeing some improvement week to week.  Nice

me 92 total

mon 7 8:30

tue AM 12 with 5x8:00 at threshold power 5:51

PM 8 with 4 mile tempo at just over HMP power (6;05)

wed 7 8:35

thurs 7 8:30 with strides

fri AM 13 with 8x5:00 (5:42) just under T power

PM 8 with 4 mile tempo at just over HMP (6:05)

sat 7 8:30

sun 23 as 90 minutes easy then 70 min at MP power (6:20)

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

JMac: Great job on that 10k; I updated the table with the result. Really nice looking week as well. Will you be generally going for one hard workout or two per week this cycle? Hopefully no more than 2 per week!

Cal: Nice job getting in the mileage and the LT work.

DW: That looks like a breakthrough LR you had. I agree with your assessment that sub 2:55 is definitely on for Indy. I have the Adios 4 Boost and also toyed with the idea that it would be a marathon show; it feels great and despite not really being that light it feels light... unfortunately it has the bad effect of aggravating my PF so I've kind of been avoiding it recent months.

Swim: Just an obscene week with all that quality...more Q than easy runs! You're looking strong for CIM.

Here's my week; not too exciting. Main things were a nice run in Pasadena with some climbing mid week and then 3 x 1 mi Saturday to keep things sharp. I'll only run Tues and Wed this week, then off Thur and Friday, then race Saturday. To answer JMac's question, I'm in the usual anxious state for the final week. Looking at the weather too often; now it is getting warmer and rain is predicted.... maybe the rain streak will not be broken after all. Still have lingering congestion from the cold but hopefully it will not be an issue. Also feeling really tired but that is probably partly in my head. Look at me... I'm pulling a JMac and lowering expectations pre-race  Will try to rest up as much as possible this week and keep the stress level low.

Weekly Summary
              Monday, Sep 30, 2019 thru Sunday, Oct 06, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
              Tue 6.2 8:45 Morning Run 417 strava
              Wed 10.5 8:22 Morning Run/Caltech 1149 strava
              Fri 10.1 8:30 Morning Run 572 strava
              Sat 9.6 7:41 Morning Run w/ 3 x 1 mile 491 strava
              Sun 12.0 8:31 Morning Run 721 strava
                48.4 8:21   3350  

2:52:16 (2018)

M_M_C

JT - Good Luck at Hartford this weekend! I may be there to support some of my friends who are throwing down. Hopefully the weather isn't too bad

Nimmals -  You sure do travel to a lot race! I went to watch my mom race that course in 2017 and it was wild how many big names were there. I hear it is a pretty tough course, hopefully the rain holds out until after your race.

I have shifted my focus away from marathons for the time being. I was going to go for it at Boston this coming spring, but now that I am not racing it, I want to focus on indoor track, and see if I can get my mile back under 4:30. Having not seriously trained for 2.5 years, I have lost a lot of my speed, so workouts have been tough (but fun) so far

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

M_M_C - thanks for checking in - I hope you'll keep posting.  The speed focus sounds like fun.

JTReeves - you should have enough time for that congestion to clear before the race.  The rain could actually be a benefit, if it's light.  If it's on the warm side, a light rain will cool you.

As for the Adios 4 - I had some problems with that one also - felt great at first, but the toebox was too tight.  Since it's now on sale, I grabbed a pair one size up and I'm going to try those.  But not until after Indy - I'm not taking any risks right now.

[lament again: why couldn't Adios just keep the Adios 2 around?]

Swim - big week from you.

JMac - yup, I was toying with the idea of wearing the Adios 1s, but I'm sure I'm not.  I do think that the VF is a very good marathon shoe - the best out there for most people.  And the Adios 1 is just a bit too thin in the forefoot for 26 miles (plus - this pair has over 300 miles on it, which is a bit much for a marathon).  My plan right now is to wear the VF Next for my tune-up half and see how that goes.  And then make a call on what to wear for the marathon - most likely the Next.

Really glad that the slower easy days seem to be working for you!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

MMC: Thanks! Maybe I'll see you at the race. Bib # is 466. I agree with DW; stick around; the training you'll be doing for the mile will be very interesting.

DW: I've never worn the Adios 2 but the 4 is the hardest shoe to get in I've ever owned! Once on, they fit ok, but damn, is it hard to get them on. I was thinking the same thing regarding the rain; light rain would give a nice cooling effect without water-logging the shoes. Currently looks like it'll be mid 50's during the race, chance of light rain, overcast, and dew point around 51-52. Not ideal but not bad. Compared to the sauna they had to run in for the WCs in Doha, I should not complain.

2:52:16 (2018)

madisonrunner

JMac - congrats on the PR!

I started Lakefront and ran the first 10 at marathon pace (5:50) then ran the next 7 at a comfortably hard pace (6:20) to finish off a long run.  Overall that went well and a day later I am sore but my leg feels fine.  There was a 10 mph cross/headwind so right from the start I had planned to stop at 17.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Swim - good to have you back here posting regularly, please stick around as we have a bunch of folks running CIM! I'm still fascinated by your double quality days, don't think I've ever seen that from someone else.

JT - your taper is so fascinating. You keep your long runs crazy long up to just 2 weeks prior, but then take off so many days the week of! Sharpest taper I think I've ever seen. Let us know how the weather is looking, we look like we're in a bit of a cloudy/damp/cool stretch which actually should be good for racing! I don't see anything in the forecast indicating heavy rain.

Also, there can only be one person that lowers expectations per thread, and that's me. Although, you'll be happy to know that the equivalent VDOT off of my 10K is right at my half marathon PR, except I'm shooting for 1:14:XX for my half in 2.5 weeks. Not exactly sure how I'm going to improve that much over this period, but there you go for expectations!

Madison - happy to hear that you were able to get it done injury free. Was worried you might go too far but looks like you kept it under control so great job. Keep up the good work this week!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

the equivalent VDOT off of my 10K is right at my half marathon PR, except I'm shooting for 1:14:XX for my half in 2.5 weeks. Not exactly sure how I'm going to improve that much over this period, but there you go for expectations!

The perfect example of BOTT.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Sorry was busy with watching Worlds and training and coaching and just been super busy.

Last two weeks if you see 32 milers and one 18 miler that because I forget to save a workout hit resume so.

No I did not do a 32 miler or a week day 18 miler those are two runs which should have been splitted.

JMAC congrats on the 10K PR. Yeah everything DW says I wear mitts as well, either a 2 layers set by brooks and also 2 pairs I picked up in Iceland. i bought a pair for a friend he cussed me out so I kept em.  I use hotties and another brand.

As for BAA half I honestly have no idea . I did a workout this morning and failed I got slower foot been hurting again it's extensor tendinitis on my fugged up left foot. My right foot feels like my big toe is broken. I switch shoes this weekend into my 2nd pair of carbons and the pain seems to have lessen. Tara said my shoes were shot sometimes when you pay alot for someting you figure you can get a dollar for each run sadly the dividends shoes pay is very low really bad "attritiation" rate <<My made up word for how fast shoes fall apart relative to cost>>  I'm a stable genius hopefully I can rip a 1:13 if the course was flat I have no doubt.

M_M_C yeah I travel because I can be a little fish in the ocean as opposed to a big fish in a small pond.

9/30/2019 – 10/6/2019: 105.2 mi 15:35:57
                            9/23/2019 – 9/29/2019: 78.1 mi 11:20:48

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - you've been a big supporter of my racing over the past couple of years, really appreciate it!

I ran NYC marathon in 2016 and know that it’s....not THAT difficult a course, but you need get the pacing right. It was exciting to track you and flyrunnr in 2017 when you both ran the perfect race!  That’s when I knew that you were the real deal and would continue to improve!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

ZZCaptainObvious

Quick update, since I've been slammed the past ... month? Woof.

The trail relay was super fun until I fell the hardest I've fallen in years on my third (of a planned four - ooh, foreshadowing!) leg (... not a euphemism). Finished that leg and then napped for a bit before another runner burned out on his last leg, so I, being smart, volunteered to take the last 7.6, getting me the nice achievement of a broken trail marathon. On let's go with shaky training.

Three weeks later, my ankle is almost 100% after the fall! So... that's fun.