2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

ZZ - thanks for posting, stick around if you can!

Mikkey - I agree it’s not THAT difficult of a course. Probably around 2 minutes for folks our speed if you run it well compared to a completely flat course. I also find it’s better each time you run it because you know what to feel like at each point, especially the 5th Avenue Mile, which I still dread even DRIVING down. Anyway thanks again for the kind words. Pressure is on to keep PR’ing!

Nimmals - Very nice weeks. Sorry to hear about your injuries. Hopefully your “I could run 1:13” actually happens. I also agree with your idea of being a small fish in a big pond, much more enjoyable to race with others than to win races by 3+ minutes. I’m actually a little worried that may happen in the Suffolk Half if no one shows up. I hope at least a few guys who can run around 1:15 do. If there was prize money, maybe I’d say something different 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Nimmals - hope you heal up soon.

ZZ - ouch. I'm guessing the "slammed" was an intentional or unintentional pun? (slammed at work and slammed on the ground?)

Jmac - I think 2 minutes is a lot for a marathon course to cost.

JTReeves - just eyeballed the weather for Hartford. What I'm seeing looks pretty darn good!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JTReeves - just eyeballed the weather for Hartford. What I'm seeing looks pretty darn good!

Yes, it's been getting better! Looks like 52 at the start, 56-57 by the finish, and dew point steady at 47 throughout. And just cloudy, no rain. So I won't have to deal with water-logged shoes!  Earlier this week when it looked like it would rain, I weighed different pairs of socks to find the lightest. I was surprised the variation in weight...among the 5 race-worthy socks, the range of weights was 30g up to 54g. So I'm going with the 30g pair.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I was checking the weather too for JT. So happy you are going to get a good day for once. Go get it! 2:49 or bust.

DW - I think we had this discussion on here last year, so not sure if you were around, regarding how much NYC adds vs. something like Berlin. I think 2 minutes is about right, but could be 90 seconds.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals - Very nice weeks. Sorry to hear about your injuries. Hopefully your “I could run 1:13” actually happens. I also agree with your idea of being a small fish in a big pond, much more enjoyable to race with others than to win races by 3+ minutes. I’m actually a little worried that may happen in the Suffolk Half if no one shows up. I hope at least a few guys who can run around 1:15 do. If there was prize money, maybe I’d say something different 

JMAC.  You may have me for a few miles. I have to see what my sponsor says. If they honor the deal I may have to run the full. If they don't I'll show up and pace people or just ride around on my Eliptigo. I'll have to see how my foot feels after Sunday.

Darkwave  Thank you im hoping it goes away by the end of the month. I suspect adding grass runs causes the issue.

NY is not +2 minutes vs Berlin try like +6/+8.Speaking from experience My best NY is 2:41 also one of the guys who ran 2:28 in Berlin 2018 ran 2:38 at NY even the guy Guillermo he ran 2:28 at Boston 2:36 at NY. NY is tough. I say +4 the very least I think the three times I raced it 2:41, 2:42, 2:46. I was injured and took whole of October off when I ran 2:46 but those other times I raced it hard. NY is the toughest of the 6 majors.

TCS New York City Marathon 2018
            Marathon | Nov 4, 2018 Bib 553
            Info Pace06:00 Time 2:36:58

431 46 M Ridgewood NY USA
            Overall Gender Division Official Time Net Time
            84 / 26657 77 / 14675 1 / 2447 2:28:43 2:28:42

I can give 20 more examples

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - I agree it’s not THAT difficult of a course. Probably around 2 minutes for folks our speed if you run it well compared to a completely flat course. I also find it’s better each time you run it because you know what to feel like at each point, especially the 5th Avenue Mile, which I still dread even DRIVING down. Anyway thanks again for the kind words. Pressure is on to keep PR’ing!

Yeah I think London is about 2min faster. I ran a 2:59 at NYC which was probably the best I could’ve expected after a 1:26 tune-up half the previous month. It’s funny your comment about 5th Avenue as I notice hills more when I’m driving!

JT - Good luck! 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Thanks Mikkey!

Anyone else excited about Kipchoge's sub 2 attempt? Looks like it will be Saturday morning (during the night for those in the US). I was thinking about the Nike sub 2 project a couple years ago. I was a bit puzzled why they chose Desisa as the 3rd guy for that. Sure, he had a good record at the time with some Boston wins and a few others, but only about a 2:09 PR. Tadese made sense as the (at that time) WR holder in the half. Kenny would have been the obvious choice, but I thought (incorrectly, thanks for pointing out DW) at that time he was with Adidas. Since he was Nike sponsored then, I wonder why they did not choose him? Even with all his bad patches and injuries he was still way better than Desisa. Maybe Kenny did not want to be in the shadow of Kipchoge?

2:52:16 (2018)

weatherboy80

Quick check in to wish JT good luck this weekend and to give a congrats to Jmac for a blistering fast 10K last weekend!

Yes looking forward to seeing what Kipchoge does tomorrow morning as well!

Will post more early next week Smile

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks Weather.

I agree it's weird. The new VF he's wearing looks absurd. I think it's 80% he breaks 2:00.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks Mikkey!

Anyone else excited about Kipchoge's sub 2 attempt? Looks like it will be Saturday morning (during the night for those in the US). I was thinking about the Nike sub 2 project a couple years ago. I was a bit puzzled why they chose Desisa as the 3rd guy for that. Sure, he had a good record at the time with some Boston wins and a few others, but only about a 2:09 PR. Tadese made sense as the (at that time) WR holder in the half. Kenny would have been the obvious choice, but I thought (incorrectly, thanks for pointing out DW) at that time he was with Adidas. Since he was Nike sponsored then, I wonder why they did not choose him? Even with all his bad patches and injuries he was still way better than Desisa. Maybe Kenny did not want to be in the shadow of Kipchoge?

Perhaps they asked KB, and he declined?

Also, based solely on Letsrun gossip, it sounds like KB is not always the most diligent or attentive athlete.  Perhaps they wanted people that would be easy to work with and could be counted on to show up.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Swim5599

Thanks Mikkey!

Put me down with a 1:59:35.  I think he hits the half at 59:55 and thunders home in 59:40.  

Desisa s the only guy in the history of the sport to win Boston, New York, and the WC marathon.  The argument could be made that he wasn’t super fit for that attempt but that guys credentials stack up against anyone’s.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Jumping in - JTReeves - - have a great race!!!

mt79

JTReeves - good luck man!

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

JTReeves Good Luck Today!

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

mt79

Eversource Hartford Marathon 2019:

5K Split at 20:06
                                Pace: 06:29 min/mi

15K split at 01:00:18
                                Pace: 06:29 min/mi