2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

weatherboy80

Oh no - hope you guys recover quickly.  Jmac - Sometimes the body is just strange - I wish we had those answers!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Oh no - hope you guys recover quickly.  Jmac - Sometimes the body is just strange - I wish we had those answers!

If its the top of the foot and under the toes it could be extensor tendinitis that's whats currently afflicting me as well.

I've learn to run through it, but getting the strength to do it takes a while. I use to bail on run have to get picked up couldnt even walk.

I use CBD oil and sometimes ice. My chiro worked on it yesterday so I'm taking today off.

If  I run after she works it, I get severe arch pain.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm pretty sure this is peroneal tendinopathy . It's not in the normal area by the ankle, but rather connecting to the 5th metatarsal.

Of course, this is me being Dr. Internet. I try to avoid going to the doctor with running injuries because they're either a) very minor or b) I feel I can treat it myself. This one is a little quirky because it could be cuboid syndrome, but it seems unlikely.

Pretty bummed out right now given my cycle was going 100% perfect and my legs have felt more fresh than usual, so the fact that an injury popped up makes no sense to me.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

M_M_C

I couldnt watch the whole thing, but maybe something like this could help you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk9YElLm57Y

I'm pretty sure this is peroneal tendinopathy . It's not in the normal area by the ankle, but rather connecting to the 5th metatarsal.

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

JT Reeves   Please update my BAA Half to 1:13:48 goal was >1:13.

Thanks,

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Calbears - thanks for the kind words - that actually means a lot.  I honestly have no idea how many more years I'll be able to improve, but only one way to find out.

And...everybody needs to get better - what a rash of bad luck.  I've had extensor tendonitis myself, but I was fortunate that mine was mild enough that I could just run through it.  My experience with peroneal has been worse.

Is anybody feeling better yet?  (*hopeful*).  I have had good results with both nerve flossing (what M_M_C linked to) and voodoo flossing, as I think I've noted before.  (note that voodoo flossing is great for tendons and muscles, but not at all what you want for bone injuries....)

As Columbus approaches, I think I'm settling on low 83 as a realistic time,  I might be able to break 83 if everything goes perfectly, and it is a great forecast for Sunday in Columbus.  But low 83 is the best combo of idealistic and realistic.

[again, none of this matters anyway, since I race watchless - I could set a goal of 1:18 or 1:33, and it'd make no difference to my execution.  So just fun to guess and later see how close I came.]

The one hiccup has been that my ulcerative colitis decided to start acting up in the last few days - Tuesday's workout was rough, though I made it through.  I can go on a drug called mesalamine to address it, but the problem there is that I feel a bit weak and nauseous on the mesalamine, and suspect it was the reason why I didn't run so well at Grandma's in June.

My doctor and I agreed that I'd do the mesalamine for 2-3 days, and then come off of it for the weekend to race - I'm thinking that it will be enough to ease my symptoms but will also let me race unimpaired (the side effects seemed to ease within about 24 hours of stopping it last time)..  We shall see.   The good news is that my gut's already feeling better after two days on the stuff.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Things still are bad for me. It's a little bit better, but that's starting from a position where I couldn't walk more than 5 minutes on Wednesday morning without having to stop because I was in so much pain.

I went to my osteo because I wanted to see if it's cuboid syndrome, which actually can be fixed pretty easily by just popping the cuboid back in place, i.e. something I need a professional to do. He didn't think so, but I'm going to check in with a PT today based on his recommendation to get some manipulation done.

Otherwise, sticking with my usual tendonitis treatment: taping, massage, and heat (since I'm past the acute phase). Hopefully this is a few day issue and not a few week issue.

My injuries for Boston made complete sense as I was really rushing things too quickly. This just does't make any sense, given it was after a day off and then a very easy run while I was putting my shoes on to talk my dog that night. Then again, I'm not sure we truly understand injuries in general.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

jayluf

Quick drop by. Been MIA while traveling - still trying to get back on a normal work/run/life routine.

Pro tip - Three days of Oktoberfest is four too many.

JMac - Hope the PT goes well today and can help with the pain/recovery.

DW - Your workouts look like they have been really solid. Hoping everything aligns for Columbus. Both my dad and sister have UC - hearing their experiences I definitely empathize.

Post Berlin, the hammy has been good, though been nothing but easy miles. Doing some work at mod effort tomorrow, we'll see how that goes. It's early, but I may use CIM as a long run/workout and target Houston as next "A" race.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

PT ended up really helping. I was able to get in an easy run last night with no pain, which was a shock to me because it hurt walking just that morning. It’s definitely peroneal tendinitis, so it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. However, the fact that I was able to run yesterday was a huge spirit boost.

Will have to keep up with the rolling, stretching, and strengthening.

The other big change I’m going to make is I’m going to switch to higher drop shoes for my tempo/marathon workouts. I originally switched to almost exclusively 4MM drop shoes years ago, as I was having a lot of problems in my knees and hips. This really solved all of that, but I realized that almost every single injury I’ve had in the past 3 years have been calf and lower.

I think the best thing for me is going to have a mix of 4MM drop shoes and 10MM drop shoes to help diversify where the stress is being placed

Jay - I liked your line, I think the same thing is true with Vegas 

DW - you know I’m a big proponent of running by feel. However, have you ever felt like you left too much in a race because you weren’t pushing yourself enough? I felt that with my 10K, but that may just be because I didn’t remember what 10K pace felt like.

JT - how are you feeling, any update on the hernia?

DW: Good luck in the half tomorrow!

JMac: Glad that your injury is getting better. It's always good to know exactly what it is, so you can treat it and prevent it down the road. I couldn't get an appt with the doctor till Nov 14 (apparently lots of people have hernia issues around here...), but she ordered a CT scan which should show if it is a hernia. I went for a run today, first time since the race and it was hurting pretty bad, though the pain was less for the last mile or so.

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JMAc - You and Slammin seem to be very injury prone....but always come up smelling of roses in races!

JT - You’ve had terrible luck with marathons....but your time will definitely come. It’s just about being patient. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - good work out there today. I was checking your splits and it doesn't look like you slowed down at all, yet you were about a minute off of what you were aiming for. Looked like it may have been mile 1? Anyway, I still think you've got a good shot at a PR in a few weeks.

CalBears

DW - good result in HM, I would say with your training and mileage and this result, sub 2:55 should not be a big problem.

JMac - will be interesting to see how you handle this nagging injury.

As I mentioned, I had a bad pain on Tuesday morning, bottom part of the right foot - skipped the Tuesday's run. Wednesday morning it was better but still not comfortable to walk on. So, I skipped the Wednesday and didn't even try Thursday. Ran on Friday, it was ok, but Saturday morning felt discomfort, no pain, but not usual feel - skipped Saturday. Ran on Sunday though the foot didn't feel ideal. But somehow in a couple of miles the discomfort faded away. Think will continue plan as usual next week (though I already missed couple of workouts, but will just continue with the way plan goes - will see. I definitely not concerned with the marathon time at this point - it's not about this marathon, not about next ones but about Boston 2021 - so, I need healthy little interruption training for the remainder of this year and the whole next year.  It's obvious this kind of injuries are coming from absence of decent training and mileage and I probably ramped up the mileage too quickly - though last two years it was not a problem, but I guess that's how cumulative effect of not too good/inconsistent training reveals itself.

Mon - 5 @ recovery (9:08)

Tue - off

Wed - off

Thu - off

Fri - 10.2 @ GA (8:24)

Sat - off

Sun - 20.3 @endurance (8:24)

Total: 35.5 miles

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cal - where is your foot pain? I think I'm the resident expert on this board and can help diagnose/treat 

ETA: I meant where exactly the pain is. If it's near the metarsal pad (ball of foot), good chance you just had metarsalgia which I battled through last year. It's easy as you can just get pads for it. I assume it's not plantar fasciitis as you would have said so. Morton's neuroma is a bigger issue I've never had to deal with.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - good work out there today. I was checking your splits and it doesn't look like you slowed down at all, yet you were about a minute off of what you were aiming for. Looked like it may have been mile 1? Anyway, I still think you've got a good shot at a PR in a few weeks.

Mile 1-2 was right on, I thought.  I wanted to go out at marathon effort and then up the effort.  Worth noting that mile 1 is mostly a gentle uphill climb, so you really didn't want to go out at pace on it.

Manual splits were:

Miles 1-2: 13:21

Mile 3: 6:11

Mile 4: 6:21

Mile 5: 6:21

Mile 6: 6:15

Mile 7: 6:32

Mile 8: 6:29

Mile 9: 6:18

Mile 10: 6:26

Mile 11: 6:32

Mile 12: 6:26

Mile 13: 5:41 for .9 (6:18 pace)

last .21: 1:15 (6:00 pace)

So struggling from 10 on.  The last mile+ is deceptive, as it was rolling back down what we ran up in mile 1.

Race report here.

Calbears - very sorry about the ongoing issues.  I agree that it can be very hard to ramp mileage up without getting hurt as we get older - that's why I try to stay pretty consistent through the year.

Jmac - I'm glad the taping helped!

In answer to your earlier question - I've felt like there were races where I didn't leave it all out there (one example being the USATF road mile in August), but I've never felt like it was because I was ignoring the watch.  I feel it's easier and more accurate to empty the tank when you're running by feel, because you have a more accurate gauge.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.