2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Awesome! Can't wait to beat your young ass on an easy downhill course!  And thank you for giving me a motivation for the next 18 months. I know I can count on you showing up as you are a Brit, not american softy 

It’s a shame that we can’t arrange something sooner next year!  But, I’m willing to wait...The Brit Vs The Russian at Boston 2021. Yep, you can count on me as that is now a done deal. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I remember having a bit of banter between me and Steve (squirrel) when I ran NYC 2016...but I never doubted that he would end up about 10min behind me.

Calbears will be more of a challenge and I’m going to relish it!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

This is the greatest match up since rbbmoose vs alien race!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

This is awesome. It may make me reconsider my pending retirement!

Piwi - with this new Auckland to EWR direct flight, I think you'd have to join in as well 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

This is the greatest match up since rbbmoose vs alien race!

I loved them both...but never remembered a rivalry between them?

I would’ve had to back the great rbmoose.....thank you for my lovely Moose Mug!!!

weatherboy80

JMac: I presume your HM is on Sunday?  If so looks like you'll have to contend with some gusty SE winds, but the temps won't be too bad (at least by my standards).  Most of the precip should hold off until later in the morning as well.  I forgot, are you racing this one or trying to take it at marathon pace?

This week has been really rough even by Florida standards as our lows haven't even dipped much below 80 Sad  Kind of sad when you are ready to give up 3 miles into an easy 7 miler!  I'd be okay with this crap if it was August or September, but not almost Halloween!

Regarding the Vaporfly shoes: I haven't even worn mine yet other than a few steps around the house so I'm getting a bit antsy to wear them for a workout.   How many miles did you folks put on them before racing in them?

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather - yeah it's on Sunday. I saw the winds are going to be 50MPH offshore! I was dumb to pick a half marathon on the south shore of Long Island, just increased my chances of getting windy conditions. Anyway, yes, I'll be racing it. Problem is the course is an out and back from east to west, so I'll be into a headwind (hopefully more of a crosswind!) the entire second half of the race, so it's going to require me to empty the tank to snag that PR.

Regarding the VF, just run one workout in them. I like doing a MP workout in them as it's the most consistent up tempo running you will do in training. They feel very goofy at slower paces, so they're not great for any sort of TLT or cruise interval workout with a long warm up.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I loved them both...but never remembered a rivalry between them?

I would’ve had to back the great rbmoose.....thank you for my lovely Moose Mug!!!

alien race (who was younger and faster at short distances) was talking smack and it got a bit heated between them.  rbbmoose won, of course, as he could reliably run 2:4x in his early 50's (until he was stopped by Lyme disease).

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Calbears - I’ve had a word with the boss (wife) and Boston 2021 is definitely on.

She’s asked me before why I’ve never shown any interest in running Boston and I’ve always said because the qualifying times are a joke...a celebration of being a slightly better than a mediocre runner. Anyway, I’m looking forward to it now and you can give me tips on running a downhill course!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

alien race (who was younger and faster at short distances) was talking smack and it got a bit heated between them.  rbbmoose won, of course, as he could reliably run 2:4x in his early 50's (until he was stopped by Lyme disease).

I loved Alien Race, simply because he could wind up squirrel at ease!

Awesome! Can't wait to beat your young ass on an easy downhill course!  And thank you for giving me a motivation for the next 18 months. I know I can count on you showing up as you are a Brit, not american softy 

Great to see some trash talking! That's something the thread has been missing. Mikkey, did you realize you have a young ass? 

There used to be some decent trash talking between strugglr and others, can't remember who was his adversary....

Good news: no hernia so I won't have to go under the knife. Seems like it is a strained hip flexor, perhaps with a combination of scar tissue aggravating things. I had a first PT session this morning and got scolded for my hideously poor flexibility...

2:52:16 (2018)

CalBears

Calbears - I’ve had a word with the boss (wife) and Boston 2021 is definitely on.

She’s asked me before why I’ve never shown any interest in running Boston and I’ve always said because the qualifying times are a joke...a celebration of being a slightly better than a mediocre runner. Anyway, I’m looking forward to it now and you can give me tips on running a downhill course!

Awesome I gave you some motivation too to run that race - you probably have to run that race at least once too. Plus, the major component is you will see many people you knew only virtually - that's probably even better part of the whole thing. I am not joking - people are awesome.

Sorry, but no tips on anything starting from today - we are officially rivals now - old school stuff - you are either friend or foe - nothing in between Smile

And here is some spoiler - that's how you will look like after the race at the sub 3 forum press conference:

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

flyrunnr

<lurk mode off>Good to see some old guy competition brewing... I am booking my hotel now. </lurk mode on>

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

CalBears

<lurk mode off>Good to see some old guy competition brewing... I am booking my hotel now. </lurk mode on>

Unfortunately you cannot book it that far ahead...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Awesome I gave you some motivation too to run that race - you probably have to run that race at least once too. Plus, the major component is you will see many people you knew only virtually - that's probably even better part of the whole thing. I am not joking - people are awesome.

Sorry, but no tips on anything starting from today - we are officially rivals now - old school stuff - you are either friend or foe - nothing in between Smile

And here is some spoiler - that's how you will look like after the race at the sub 3 forum press conference:

Great pic of Boris! He actually has the support of the silent majority and any images of London that you see doesn’t represent the UK.