2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

This is a fun game!

Nimmals - 2:34

Madison - 2:36 (he's obviously more talented, but injury may have hurt. I hope he proves me wrong )

JMAC - 2:39

Swim - 2:42

Jayluf - 2:52

Cal - 3:01

I love this. Close but no cigar for me. I just shit the bed on my workout

6:54, 6;52, 6:49, 7:03, 7:13, 7:48

The devil is real he came down and offered me the universe if I slowed down.  (wait maybe I hallucinated that)

I wonder if pushing the 3rd 2k killed it for me. so I had my HS Junior (schools closed for voting day) with me I begged him to lead the my 4th his last and he was like "Who me? Nope I'm good, I have state Quals on Saturday..  I was like bummer I didn't even do the 2x 400M. My athletes had 2x 2k 2x 1k and I made them skip the 400s too so once they left and I was alone my workout quickly fell apart. Funny thing is I got up this morning at 4:00 am and had a new girl starting. So i was suppose to be finished 2 2Ks before her and the kid arrived. Guess who got there to find both were already waiting for me needless to say I ran out of time.I'm wondering if I shouldn't just pace my ladies at CIM.

Like my mother always said the higher the monkey climbs the more he shows his ass. Workout burnt my ass today. I decided next week I'll add a 7th Aint no damn workout gonna break my balls.

And getting back to NY vs Boston the guy I said ran Boston 2:28 in April ran 2:33 as I said NY is +4 maybe even 5 and last year he ran 2:36 @ NY

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey, stop playing - you need to predict for the whole list (see JMac's above)

I haven’t paid enough attention to everyone’s training on that list....but I know who’ll run the biggest negative split. 😉

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I haven’t paid enough attention to everyone’s training on that list....but I know who’ll run the biggest negative split. 😉

Swim usually hits a big negative split.

JMac will have a decent one as well, since he stated he'll go out in 1:19:30 he'll bring it home in 1:17:28 to validate my prediction. 

2:52:16 (2018)

CalBears

Ok then - just a prediction for me will work 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ok then - just a prediction for me will work 

3:02:48.  Maybe Sub 3 in Vaporflys as they do all the work for you. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I am NOT going to predict CIM times.  I always worry about the Sports Illustrated effect/jinxing people by predicting good races.

Weather - can't believe you are still dealing with that heat.

Nimmals - Now...if one of your athletes had a workout like that, would you have shut him/her down?

On a separate note 1) - JMac did you notice that Jepkosgei wore the Takumi Sen at New York?  I'm thinking that racing a marathon in those things was as impressive as her win.    [for the rest of you - the Takumi Sen is the shoe that JMac and I love, but for much shorter stuff]

On a separate note 2) I would appreciate opinions on my tights vs. shorts conundrum for Saturday.  The forecast is a starting temp of 28, ending in the mid-30s.  Partly cloudy skies, headwind of 8-10 mph for second half.

I'm leaning towards tights, because that's what I've worn for shorter distance races in those conditions, including up to the mid-30s (though I've also done shorts in the mid-30s and been fine).  I wore these tights on Sunday for my last not-so-long run, and they felt fine in 42 degrees.  (these tights are spandex and very flexible - they do not restrict my motion at all).   When I've worn shorts for sub-freezing track workouts, my legs have always felt stiff and it's been hard to run fast.

I'm also coming out of a warmer than normal fall, and so 28 degrees is going to be a shock to the system.

On the other hand, if it warms up more than forecast, and especially if the sun comes out, those tights might get hot (they are black).

On top, I'm just going to layer.  Throwaway longsleeve over singlet plus arm-warmers.   For my hands I'm going to do latex gloves under convertible glove/mittens with handwarmers under crew socks.  (I can take gels with those on my hands).  So I should be able to adjust my upper body and hands as the race progresses.

But...whatever I have on my legs at the start is what I'll wear throughout.

Thoughts?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Andres1045

darkwave - I don't own tights, and have only run in temps below 30 a handful of times. I have run in half and full marathons that start in the low 30s before warming, however. Whether there is sun seems to make a big difference. With sun, when it comes out things seem to heat up quick. In those races I've always been fine in shorts. But in general, I'd prefer to err on the side of being a bit cold over being warm for a marathon.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do. You're in great shape.

Upcoming races: Boston

weatherboy80

Thanks DW!  Florida is always going to be pretty warm, but for this morning it was 77 with a dew point of 76 at 5 AM yet again.  This is beyond ridiculous for November.  I've certainly adapted to the heat pretty well, but this is just mentally exhausting at times and in no way could I throw down a PR in these types of conditions.  Looking like some relief is coming for us next week though.

BTW - good luck on your race this weekend!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals - Now...if one of your athletes had a workout like that, would you have shut him/her down?

I'm also coming out of a warmer than normal fall, and so 28 degrees is going to be a shock to the system.

On the other hand, if it warms up more than forecast, and especially if the sun comes out, those tights might get hot (they are black).

Thoughts?

Darkwave, in the past I would have shut them down.  But now I make them struggle through it. There is a real growth from the experience and they learn and grow from it. I certainly do. In fact I cant wait until next week.

I would go with shorts like a 6in compression shorts. Ive done knee warmers and pulled em up but because the legs are so large wearing tight could see it become a jog from overheating. Ive learned over the years from the 50K Less is more on the legs even in frigid weather.

DW: It sounds like you're leaning towards wearing the tights, but I would tend towards less on the legs when racing, like Andres and Nimmals said. You have a good plan for the upper body with lots of throw-away layers; you can always hold on to those a bit longer if your legs are that cold.

Nimmals: I hope the foot gets better. I'd rather see you go for it than pacing others. You've had some great races the last couple months and if you get to the start healthy I think a PR could happen. In particular that BAA half (hilly) suggests 2:30 could happen at CIM. Prediction: 2:29:54 (assumes no injuries in the lead-up and no porta-potty stops during the race).

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - I was going down the same route as Nimmals: something like compression shorts. I run very cold like you do. I can say that I raced the NYC Half in shorts when it was low 30s and was fine, but 20's might be tough. Compression shorts are a good compromise where you keep the thighs warm, but allow most of your legs to air out otherwise.

I also completely agree with Andres. I find sun makes a 10 degree difference. I can run in short sleeves on a training run when it's 52 and sunny, but 52 at night I'm absolutely frigid in a short sleeve shirt. Seems sort of obvious, but just a point that the sun matters a lot in terms of what your choice is. I also remember it was upper 40s at the start of the NYCM last year and because it was 10 am (sun was higher in the sky) and full sun, I was too hot even standing on the bridge with arm warmers, whereas I ran a 10K at the exact same temps at a much faster speed obviously last month but it was 7 am so there was no sunshine to warm me up. My arms and hands were frozen at the end even with arm warmers on.

Sun amount and sun angle make a huge difference.

JT - Wow you are coming in with the mega HOT predictions for CIM. Nimmals going sub 2:30, I'm running 2:37. Is the winner going to run a 1:59? 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

DW: It sounds like you're leaning towards wearing the tights, but I would tend towards less on the legs when racing, like Andres and Nimmals said. You have a good plan for the upper body with lots of throw-away layers; you can always hold on to those a bit longer if your legs are that cold.

Nimmals: I hope the foot gets better. I'd rather see you go for it than pacing others. You've had some great races the last couple months and if you get to the start healthy I think a PR could happen. In particular that BAA half (hilly) suggests 2:30 could happen at CIM. Prediction: 2:29:54 (assumes no injuries in the lead-up and no porta-potty stops during the race).

I plan to pee myself this year my vapors if they stink will become trainers. For London workouts.

JT - Wow you are coming in with the mega HOT predictions for CIM. Nimmals going sub 2:30, I'm running 2:37. Is the winner going to run a 1:59? 

Yes, I have decided to run and will win in a time of 1:59:28, leaving Kipchoge devastated 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hey all - just to update everyone (cross post for efficiency)

literally got hit by a truck this morning, while on my shakeout jog.  My left side is pretty roughed up, with my left shoulder taking the worst of it.

Have been to the ER and to the Orthopedist.  X-rays don't show anything broken or dislocated, and I passed the neurology check-up.  But I can't really use my left arm right now, to the point where I need help to get dressed or undressed.  I could probably complete a marathon, but I can't run one to my full potential like this, and the ortho is really strongly opposed to me racing a marathon on Saturday.

So....plan right now is to skip Indy Marathon this weekend, and hope I am healed up enough in a week to run the Richmond Marathon.

I am really pissed off.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Andres1045

Hey all - just to update everyone (cross post for efficiency)

literally got hit by a truck this morning, while on my shakeout jog.  My left side is pretty roughed up, with my left shoulder taking the worst of it.

Have been to the ER and to the Orthopedist.  X-rays don't show anything broken or dislocated, and I passed the neurology check-up.  But I can't really use my left arm right now, to the point where I need help to get dressed or undressed.  I could probably complete a marathon, but I can't run one to my full potential like this, and the ortho is really strongly opposed to me racing a marathon on Saturday.

So....plan right now is to skip Indy Marathon this weekend, and hope I am healed up enough in a week to run the Richmond Marathon.

I am really pissed off.

That's just amazingly crappy, but at the same time it's great news that it wasn't worse. If Richmond doesn't workout, remember that Houston lets you switch between races, although that's probably too far away.

Upcoming races: Boston