2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

flyrunnr

DW half split was 1:30:04, pretty much executing her plan to conserve energy for the headwind section from miles 16-21 or so.

Haha didn’t even realize it was that much later.

darkwave turn your GPS on I’m trying to track using RaceJoy

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

flyrunnr

DW thru 20M in 2:17:31 (6:53 avg) so far.

First female... 2:17:59, Grace R., 4th overall, something looks suspicious. Edit: no splits registered, must be one of those half marathon participants that got included in the full results. These trackers have been so kludgy lately.

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

flyrunnr

DW finished in 3:03:37. Hope she is feeling well, and nothing went wrong other than the bum shoulder.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW finished in 3:03:37. Hope she is feeling well, and nothing went wrong other than the bum shoulder.

Thanks for tracking.  Shoulder held up fine, just ran out of gas.  No regrets, though - glad I ran this.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Andres1045

darkwave - great result for all the chaos you went through in the last 10 days. Impressive stuff.

Upcoming races: Boston

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

DW - Congrats on a great effort and I’m glad that you had no regrets and I’m sure you learnt something new from the race which will make you stronger for the next one. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

DW - in your situation running another Moose Mug time (I believe it's 2:20 plus age for female?) is impressive. Congrats!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

DW: You're tough as nails; congrats on a really gutsy performance and another MM!

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

A solid performance. Maybe not what you’d dreamed of but everything together I’d say it’s a great result. Time to heal up proper for 2020.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks all.  Race report to come (just got home).

Looks like I managed to pull off top master female, so I guess that salves the wounds as well.  (one woman listed ahead of me, but she has previous PRs of 6:00 for the full and 2:29 for the half, and no intermediate splits for the marathon, so something's off).

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kcam

Congratulations on a very nice run, DW.  You gotta be happy with that considering ...  Certainly that time ahead of you is very suspect and likely to be corrected.  Well done.

Now you all may be getting the idea that I'm at heart a contrarian (my poor wife!) so here ya go.  I've run the Silicon Valley Turkey Trot 10K every year before CIM, and I've run it all out every time.  10days was PERFECT for me.  I've won my AG several times at the TT and I came in 2nd in my AG at CIM one year after winning the AG at the SV TT.  Your mileage may vary but, of course, I'd run it all out, Brew!  As you say, Checkers or Wreckers.  Consider it like the B2B challenge.

OOPS! Sorry guys n gals, I made the mistake of thinking this was the Sub 3:20 thread.  I don't belong anywhere near this thread, but, I will say the 2nd AG at CIM was a sub-3 so maybe not completely off-topic to this thread.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

OOPS! Sorry guys n gals, I made the mistake of thinking this was the Sub 3:20 thread.  I don't belong anywhere near this thread, but, I will say the 2nd AG at CIM was a sub-3 so maybe not completely off-topic to this thread.

As I seem to recall, you have gone well under sub-3 before.

As for tune-ups - the first year I did CIM, I did a 5K turkey trot 10 days before.  CIM went OK but not great.  Could have been the turkey trot; could have the fact that I ran Chicago 8 weeks before.

The second time I ran CIM, I took no chances and skipped the turkey trot.

Running Problem

Problem Child

As I seem to recall, you have gone well under sub-3 before.

As for tune-ups - the first year I did CIM, I did a 5K turkey trot 10 days before.  CIM went OK but not great.  Could have been the turkey trot; could have the fact that I ran Chicago 8 weeks before.

The second time I ran CIM, I took no chances and skipped the turkey trot.

Good advice. Makes sense and After Chicago I didn’t think I’d be ready to run CIM with that quick of a turn around personally. Hopefully you get a cool trophy (cash) for being the top master.

I’m leaning towards skipping it as a race. I’d miss doing my last 2E + 10 M + 2E run, which I couldn’t finish in April due to heat and didn’t do well in the heat of Vegas, and I could either run it at M pace, or easy pace. This would give me a more traditional 2 week taper.

This was my last 20 and last 70 mile week. It might go slightly over 70 based on tomorrow’s run.

Next week has 2 workouts and will be 60 with probably a 15 mile long run which should be around 2 hours. 85% of peak mileage.

The week of thanksgiving won’t have any workouts due to scheduling conflicts (damn kid) and not racing the 10K since it’s not the goal with a total of 50 miles which is about 70% of peak mileage.  No sense using all this training for a 10K and risking injury or going into CIM overstrained or over trained.

The week of CIM would probably be 25ish plus CIM. I think I have this right for a two week taper, but I’m wondering if this is actually a 3 week taper. 50-52 total miles.

I actually realized how fast I'm aiming for on a Thursday. The guy who won my first marathon did it in something like a 3:05 which I thought was (is) blazing fast. I’m now about to go for that with a 3:05 PR (from a major downhill course wearing springy shoes) and I thought this was for elite athletes. After my 20 miler I didn’t even feel tired and a little bit later I felt like I could do another 4 without thinking twice. Previously I’d be on the couch for the rest of the day. Part of me is still a 3:56 marathoner hitting the wall and doing the death march trying to chug Gatorade to feel better 3 miles from the finish.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

If this 10k race is on a Thursday then go for it and get a mega PR and hit CIM full of confidence. 10 days is plenty of time to recover and you’ll be tapering anyway. Strike while the iron is hot.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Man you folks have been busy here...trying to catch up on all the last several pages.

Cal vs Mikkey:  Mikkey never seems to fluctuate much in weight, even when not running, while Cal seems to pack on the pounds if he takes time off. Advantage Mikkey. ON the other hand, Cal is very familiar with the Boston course while Mikkey is not...advantage Cal. Keep up the trash talking boys!

Brew: I think a 10k raced all out 2 weeks from your marathon would be just right. I have done a 10k that happens 2 weeks from my spring marathon the last few years and I feel like it gets me sharp but by race day there is no residual fatigue. BTW, your training looks great; better than what I had when I first broke 3 and I was training at sea level. I've got to think training at 4500 feet will give you an additional boost at CIM. Will you be going there a few days ahead to get used to sea level?

Cinnamon: thanks for asking how it's going. Not great. After an initial improvement things are kind of stagnating. Still pain when running. PT thinks it may actually be a tendon strain (inguinal tendon), probably brought on by a combination of weak glutes and terrible flexibility in just about everything on me. I'm doing tons of strengthening exercises and lost of stretching. Part of the problem was probably that I kept running when I should have taken more time off. Trying to hold back now to just a few runs a week to let it really heal and use the bike. Which really, really sucks.

2:52:16 (2018)