2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

cinnamon girl

cinnamon girl

M: 10 mi with 10 x 1 min on (5:4x)/off
      T:  10.3 mi (8:14)
      W: 12 mi (7:59)
      T: 9.4 mi with 12 min (6:11), 4 min (8:48), 8 min (6:11)
      F: 40 min (8:08)
      S: 19 mi (7:38) gradual progression with fast finish last ½ mi (6:24)
      S: 45 min (9:09)

70.5 mi

swim:  👍

CalBears

Brew / JMac - still do not understand that obsession over mittens... I usually buy some cheap gloves in Walmart, like 3 pairs for $3 and then I am free to do with them whatever I want - at a race, if it's cold at the start I usually throw them away after few miles - and it's only $1. $40 for mittens? Americans are rich though... Smile

JTR - I didn't mention about issues you have but basically at this point you have only two choices (there is a third one - to forget about running Smile ) - relax and run really really easy until things improve without fretting about any races - actually it's the only choice because you and your doc are pretty sure nothing is wrong with your discs. Relaxing and taking it easy for awhile is very important - if you try to push this over and over again it might just slow down the recovery / healing / getting back to normal. Of course, just my opinion - but that is what I would do.

Swim - awesome! 98 mile 2 weeks out from a marathon. And that Tuesday's 2 workouts are mind boggling - I might try two workouts in one day in the future if I get bored and, of course, if I can handle those...

My week. Finally I was able to run as I planned today - had a race in Oakland - small local event - managed to get 6:30 pace avg for 15K. Very encouraging! Speed wise - I feel much better than last year. Endurance wise for the whole marathon distance - I will find out in two weeks.

Mon - 6 @recovery (9:22) / 5 @recovery (9:06)

Tue -  9.6 @GA (8:39)

Wed - 11.2 with 2 sets of 6x150 strides (8:32)

Thu - 11.3 @GA (8:26)

Fri - 7.1 @GA (7:56)

Sat - 5 with 4x100 strides (7:57)

Sun -  3 w/u @8:28, 9.45 @6:30 (1:01:31) Lake Merritt 15K, 2 c/d @9:23

Total: 71.7 miles

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cal Must be nice to think 40F is cold. Damn California weather.

Truthfully, your coldest day for the next 4 months are my high. Next week is 34 with 50% chance of snow. Plus some wind.  Those $3 pair haven’t worked for me and the $9 Costco’s HEAD finger gloves worked well today when it was 30-40F. When it was 20-30 in January through April I wanted hands I could feel. I don’t want to take 4 months off so for $10/month I get a pair I don’t have to replace and should last me a few years. Plus I can use them when I go out to play in the snow. Does that make them half price?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

Cal Must be nice to think 40F is cold. Damn California weather.

Truthfully, your coldest day for the next 4 months are my high. Next week is 34 with 50% chance of snow. Plus some wind.  Those $3 pair haven’t worked for me and the $9 Costco’s HEAD finger gloves worked well today when it was 30-40F. When it was 20-30 in January through April I wanted hands I could feel. I don’t want to take 4 months off so for $10/month I get a pair I don’t have to replace and should last me a few years. Plus I can use them when I go out to play in the snow. Does that make them half price?

Actually, it can go below 32oF for few days in the mornings and that is cold - oh-oh-oh those are cold mornings to run in. And $1 gloves worked fine for me still. But I agree, if it goes to 20 and below and for a few months, then, yes, I guess that's an important item doesn't matter what is the cost. Btw, I lived until 40yo in a very cold climate you know with 5-6 months winters but I don't want that anymore and yes, I consider 32oF in the morning as cold weather Smile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Regarding cold hands - I'm willing to go to a fair amount of effort and expense to keep my hands warm - life is short, why suffer.  $40 is less than a decent meal at a restaurant, and I'll get more enjoyment over time from the warm hands.

Re: CIM - a lot of what I would say has already been covered.  Cinnamon made a very good point about how people get too excited about a fast course on a fast day, and make poor choices out of the gate.  Jmac - as covered before, the start is EASY.  Easiest point to point race ever.  They bus you up, and when you arrive a volunteer enters the bus and reads you a quick speech explaining where everything is (bathrooms, bag check, start line, etc).  I've actually left my stuff on the bus, and headed out and returned to the same bus - you just have to be sure to remember which one is yours, as Brew noted.

JTReeves - I'm sorry you're still dealing with this.  I honestly don't have anything to offer that hasn't already been said, and you're working with good people anyway.  I hope you continue to progress.

And I hear you on having a PT who is a serious runner - mine is as well.  It makes all the difference.  It also really helps to work with the same person consistently - they get to know you - and know what it means when you say something hurts or feels wrong, which can be totally different from when someone else says that.

My week:

25 miles and 31 "miles" of pool-running
              M: 10 "miles" pool-running.
              T: 7 "miles" pool-running, 8x30 seconds jog, 30 seconds walk, and shoulder PT.
              W: 6 "miles" pool-running, 10x30 seconds jog, 30 seconds walk, and core work at gym.
              Th: 8 "miles" pool-running, 8x60 seconds jog, 30 seconds walk, very light upper body strength and core.
              F: 3 miles very easy (9:19), yoga, and 4 miles (8:45)
              Sa: 8 miles very easy (8:52), light upper body strength and core.
              Su: 10 miles very easy (9:02) and running drills, leg injury prevention work, and yoga.

I added the jog-walk intervals in on Tuesday-Thursday as an experiment to see if they'd help clear the post-race soreness and make the first true run back feel less awful.  The track is between the pool and my house, so it was easy to just place my pool bag in a corner and do the walk/shuffle jog thing for a few laps before continuing home.

They seemed to work - each day my legs felt a bit better, and Friday's runs didn't feel as bad as they normally do, though they didn't feel great either.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

madisonrunner

I'm chuckling at the posts about cold weather.  I actually find 30s to be the perfect weather for longer workouts and racing.  20s is a bit too cold and 40s a bit too warm.

My week (60 total):

M - 10 including 5x05 miles VO2max @5:06/mile pace

T - 8

W - 8

R - 8

F - 10 including 7 miles LAT @ 5:33/mile pace

Sun - 16 (first 11 in the 6:20s/6:30s then last 5 in the 6:10s)

I'm looking forward to CIM and am feeling good about going after a PR.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I lived about an hour south of you for 18+ years and thought 40 was freezing and 40-60% humidity was dry. So yeah, we’ve all been there. As DW said it’s not that much compared to stuff we don’t keep. Plus if I get my PR and BQ I’ll need them as an excuse preventive to train for Boston 2021.

Actually, it can go below 32oF for few days in the mornings and that is cold - oh-oh-oh those are cold mornings to run in. And $1 gloves worked fine for me still. But I agree, if it goes to 20 and below and for a few months, then, yes, I guess that's an important item doesn't matter what is the cost. Btw, I lived until 40yo in a very cold climate you know with 5-6 months winters but I don't want that anymore and yes, I consider 32oF in the morning as cold weather Smile

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

My Week:

Lots of CIM dreams and some planning. Still no clue where I'll have dinner or who I'll meet.

M 6.5 easy

Tu: 4x1.5 @ 6:40/mi

W: 6.5 E

Th: 10 @ 6:45-6:50/mi. Last mile 6:32.

Fr: 6.5 easy

Sa: birthday party cupcakes and waffles. 6.0 Easy

Su 10 easy mostly uphill. Paused my Garmin so 1.5 miles weren't recorded

60 miles for the week.

Now I have a weird pain/tightness in my right hamstring. It might be from sitting a lot yesterday with my feet above my hips. Either that or it's taper pains. CIM clothes cleaned, weather checked, and shoes broken in. All I need to do is pack my bag for CIM and triple check it between now and next Saturday and I should be good to go. It is going to be weird to have so many days off and be tapering. It's been 2 years so it feels new and I'm going to convince myself this isn't the time to start a new project. The 10K Thursday should be very cold (below 30) for the race. I'll probably do like dwave was planning for Indy and bundle up with tights and cold gear up top.

Oh and my drive to CIM is forecasted to include snow, sleet and ice. glad I have 4wd so I don't need to get out and put chains on (California requirement) like my coworker said he did one year coming home.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Anyone looking at forecasts right now is a complete fool. Although California is not New England, I'd still like to remember that example from this year with Boston: the forecast started at low 40's with pouring rain and a headwind. We ended up getting 70 and sunny. I'll start looking next week...

Brew - I wouldn't worry about it, just foam roll if anything bothers you in the taper. I am the king of taper madness, so you can trust me on this one. I also think I'm the opposite of you for this one, I've done about no planning, even though I usually plan heavily. My wife keeps offering to come, but I'm telling her how dumb it is to fly out to California to sit with me in a hotel room for 2 days.

Cal - Yes, $40 is a lot for mittens, but when you have Raynaud's like a couple of us, you will pay for anything to avoid that cold. There is no glove in the world that can keep my hands warm when it drops below freezing, and trust me, I've tried about everything. I come home from runs with half of my fingers a completely different color than the rest of my hands due to the cold, even with thick gloves on.

Madison - hopefully a few of us will get to meet up, looks like you and Nimmals would be perfect running partners this race (and he's a great guy to run with, you will run every tangent perfectly with great pacing)

DW - thanks re: CIM, really looking forward to not sitting in a field for an hour. I read your update over on 3:20, looks like you have a solid plan for your shoulder. I actually have a shoulder issue right now, but mine is about as opposite as you can get for a cause: the flu shot. I think they hit some sort of nerve, tendon, or actually got it in the joint. It's been 4+ weeks and I can't lift my arm above parallel. It's amazing how stupid and amazing the body can be: you can get hit by a damn truck or by a tiny needle. Of course, I'm not equating the seriousness of each! But I've been laughing at how stupid this is (a needle injured me!) when I think about you getting hit by a truck.

Swim - your pacing is interesting in your workouts. You are right near where I am for T pace (5:40), and yet your marathon pace is much slower. Checking Daniels, with a T pace around 5:40, you should be around 5:58 for marathon pace. Even if you take away his very aggressive assumptions, I would think your M pace is closer to 6:05. All of this is to say that you better be going for sub 2:40 like me. 

Andres - I see you were bummed out about your race, but don't be. Your time was pretty good, and if anything, it just says you ran a hell of a race 5 years ago. I think you're still looking damn good for Houston.

Me - week 1 of taper. T paces in workouts were very good, and Easy pace is picking up a lot, even though my legs still feel like complete crap, so that's exactly where I want to be. If I was feeling good at this point, I'd be doing something wrong. Only a slight drop in mileage here in the first week. Real taper starts after Wednesday's workout this week. Feeling damn good about getting that 2:3X barring some weather issue.

Day Miles Description
                      Mon 7.0 Recovery
                      Tue 11.5 EZ + Strides
                      Wed 14.0 4E + 4x2T (5:43) + 2E
                      Thu 0.0  
                      Fri 11.0 EZ
                      Sat 11.5 EZ + Strides
                      Sun 16.0 2E + 3x2T (5:36) + 8E
                      Total 71.0  

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

Being a Florida runner really jealous of the expected conditions you will all have at CIM!

Brew: Hope those are just the small niggles that come up during the taper.  Solid looking week though.

JMac:  Can't believe how good your training has been this cycle.  T pace and LR pacing has been spot on!

Madison: Looking primed and ready to go!

Swim: yet another monster week.  Hay is certainly in the barn for you.  Take it easy!

DW: Looks like some solid recovery going on!

Cal:  Looking pretty solid and like the speed work in the 15K!

Cinnamon:  Awesome week!

JT: Glad to hear that things are improving!

Me: Got in what will likely be my largest week of volume with just under 6 weeks to go.  Really happy about my 4 X 2T workout on Wednesday coming off the big mileage and 10K race a few days prior.  Also ran my longest run (since Boston) getting in just over 23 miles Saturday where I was able to progress down from the mid 7 range down to just faster than HMP at mile 18/19 in the course of about 12 miles within that run.

Also what kind of mileage/durability are you seeing on the Next % shoes with regards to race day?  Planning on using them Sunday for my tune-up race which will bring them to around 20 miles!  Next time I wear them will be the marathon!

Only downside is that I now have developed a bit a pain under the ball of my right foot that doesn't really bother me much during a run, but hurts a bit afterwards Sad  Don't think it is anything major except from a bit of overuse and pounding from the recent mileage?  Still have a HM race planned for this upcoming Sunday so with this bit of a niggle and the upcoming race seems like a good idea to drop the volume back a bit and execute a mini-taper later this week (and a good time to fill up on carbs lol).  Unfortunately, race weather is looking far from ideal as the current forecast is for upper 60's and near 100% humidity, but thinking it will still be a great benchmark with 5 weeks to go to the full.

Mon: 12.1 EZ (hill repeats), 5.2 PM

Tues: 11.2 EZ + strides

Wed: 5E + 4 X 2T + 3.2E

Thu: 11.3 EZ

Fri: 7.2 EZ + strides

Sat: 23.1 (7:07 pace overall w/ EZ -> progression down to HMP)

Sun 6.11 EZ

Total: 92.5 miles

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Cinnamon, Nice week. I agree with you about the course, the excitement. As you said only one way I'll run it.

Queen - Don't Stop Me Now  sums up my goals for CIM.

I'm gonna go go go.....

There's no stopping me
                          I'm burnin' through the sky two hundred degrees
                          That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit
                          I'm traveling at the speed of light
                          I wanna make a supersonic man out of "me"

I'm a rocket ship on my way to Mars
                          On a collision course
                          I am a satellite, I'm out of control
                          I'm traveling at the speed of light

Weather Nice week, we are twinning in the low 90's

Madison Nice week lots of intensity low on volume you're locked and loaded.

I hope you have a better plan than I do I'm gonna be a comet and burn till I fall to earth like a rock.

I'm spinning the dice.

Swim loving your week I had a 20 miler planned but we had a morning down pour didn't want to risk getting sick so i settled for 12 miles missed a final 100 mile week. I love what you're cooking up in the kitchen.

Darkwave Nice recovery week, hope everything is coming along nicely

Brew - Nice week, btw where do you live lake Tahoe or mammoth lakes? I drove to lake tahoe scariest thing driving from sun to snow seeing plunging dropoffs with no guard rails in a tiny rental FWD. I literally was scared, all signs warning not to text or drunk drive cause swerving meant flying off a mountain. I was bananas scared. But seeing Emerald Lake was so worth it, serene and beautiful.

Cals, great week nice results.

JMAC great week. I like those two workouts for you. Like you my taper starts after my Tuesday workouts.

Tthis morning (Monday)  I did 2x 2k,  2x 1k with a friend who can't run tomorrow. I had to she hosted me on Sunday to an amazing thank you friends-giving spread and  they gifted me Vaporflys to last me till I'm 60. I love my peacocks they really took care of me.

So my workouts have been going phenomenal. I've added more 2ks and gotten faster week over week. That's the kind of progressive loading I've been chasing. Not sure why its happening, Is it eating healthier and cutting out meat? is it just the cumulative strength from 3 weeks @ 100 miles? Really not sure but  I'll take it. I'm excited to see everyone at CIM.

Lets go go go....

Date  Activity Course Type Distance Duration Pace Action
                          11/24/2019 Run   Default 12.3 mi 1:53:49 9:15
                          11/24/2019 Run   Default 0.6 mi 24:05 43:01
                          11/23/2019 Run   Default 9.4 mi 1:25:10 9:05
                          11/23/2019 Run   Default 4.1 mi 40:19 9:45
                          11/23/2019 Run   Default 6.5 mi 1:34:32 14:33
                          11/22/2019 Run   Default 10.0 mi 1:30:34 9:06
                          11/22/2019 Run   Default 5.0 mi 45:59 9:10
                          11/21/2019 Run   Default 9.3 mi 1:20:25 8:38
                          11/20/2019 Run   Default 10.1 mi 1:36:02 9:29
                          11/20/2019 Run   Default 6.1 mi 58:46 9:40
                          11/19/2019 Run   Default 3.8 mi 37:23 9:49
                          11/19/2019 Run   Default 16.4 mi 2:01:23 7:24

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

CalBears

Anyone looking at forecasts right now is a complete fool. 

Then I am one of those complete fools Smile

This one is even more interesting:

Although California is not New England, I'd still like to remember that example from this year with Boston: the forecast started at low 40's with pouring rain and a headwind. We ended up getting 70 and sunny. I'll start looking next week...

So, either it is New England or not - you have to chose Smile Yes, the forecast might change slightly but 10 days out usually in a ballpark... The one unknown if we will have a sun during a race or not...

CalBears

Listened to my playlist on the way to work and thought this whole song, which was incredibly popular in Soviet Union when I think I started middle school, is about Mikkey and his situation and his thoughts for the next 17 months:

What can Mikkey do?

The short answer to the question though - "nothing"! 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Then I am one of those complete fools Smile

This one is even more interesting:

So, either it is New England or not - you have to chose Smile Yes, the forecast might change slightly but 10 days out usually in a ballpark... The one unknown if we will have a sun during a race or not...

Thankfully PG&E doesn't have control over the sun. I did practice for this though. 

Jmac Weather probably won't change very much from now until race day. Wind would be about the only thing but I'm planning on a few miles with rain during the start, and a partly cloudy finish. I'm sure you wife could find something to do with a rental car in California. Yosemite is nearby, San Francisco, breweries, wine country, etc. I agree it would be a pretty lame trip though. You're going to smoke this thing.

Nimmals Neither. I live in the biggest little city in the world. There is even a lighted archway proving it. Truckee and Donner pass will be the area I plan on chains/snow control. Shouldn't be bad. Just adds an hour or so to travel so I might just leave earlier in the morning instead of the afternoon. I think you mean Emerald BAY not lake. Cool spot to stop and admire the view.

4x2T seems so painful right now. I didn't even look forward to 3x2M and that's NOTHING compared to Threshold effort/pace.

VDOT 53.37