2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cal - I meant that weather is volatile this far out, but the level of volatility may be lower in California than it is in Boston. You can have both be true at the same time.

I cannot possibly see how "showers at the start" is even remotely a reasonable thing to look at. Where is weather? He will tell you how silly 14 day forecasts are. I think forecasts have improved a lot recently, but I read that anything over 7 days is basically just guessing around an average.

Weather - Even with the bad weather forecast, you should still do the mini taper. Your body could use a rest from the mileage you've been doing. 70 miles is about the most you should do during the entire week. I know it's hard for you to relax a bit but your body needs it.

Nimmals - I love your enthusiasm after you were down and out just a couple of weeks ago! 2:2X or bust. What is your PR by the way, for some reason I don't know.

Brew - 8E + 4x2T is the worst workout Daniels throws at you. I'm always at a start after the second set of reps that I say "no more, I'm just going to cut it short today." But I've found a way to keep pushing somehow, mainly because I'd rather just do another 2x2 than have to make up for it with 4 easy miles (I absolutely HATE having to do a long cooldown, I just want my workout to be done with).

Cinnamon - I missed your week, sorry! Looks like things are really starting to hum for you again.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Cal - I meant that weather is volatile this far out, but the level of volatility may be lower in California than it is in Boston. You can have both be true at the same time.

I cannot possibly see how "showers at the start" is even remotely a reasonable thing to look at. Where is weather? He will tell you how silly 14 day forecasts are. I think forecasts have improved a lot recently, but I read that anything over 7 days is basically just guessing around an average.

I will stop arguing - you will see... But this not Boston, for sure... Showers with temps at high 40s would be pretty good, much better than sun coming at you at 7:30-8:am...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

I will stop arguing...

Excellent idea. I've argued online and in person. RARELY does it go your(our?) way.

Thanks to Jmac

CIM tracking

https://track.rtrt.me/e/CRRM-CIM-2019#/tracker/R2MKBL4A

Bib 3062 for me.

I think that's close to what I wore other years. No idea how the assign them. I assume alphabetically and the relay teams get a different first one or two digits.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

slingrunner

Don't underestimate Reynaud's.  I volunteered at a water stop at Philly this weekend where temperatures were in the 30s, it was windy, and it was raining or snowing most of the time.  I could only wear very thin gloves.  After 3 hours I had to leave because my hands were so numb I couldn't hold even one cup at a time filled with water without spilling it, despite the rest of my body being pretty much fine.  Dante could have written about the hell I experienced when my hands finally dethawed in my car.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

cinnamon girl

Slammin:  I had to look up that song .. I had never heard that one before. Something like Calm Like a Bomb by Rage was more my thinking for you. But yeah those lyrics are great for the task at hand! ðŸ¤˜

Weather: yeah so as long as it only hurts when you're not running, there's no problem! Have fun at your half! Well done with the 23!

JMac: no worries.  I am feeling like a runner again though!  I left my ER job a couple months ago .. it wasn't sustainable long-term for life outside of work - much less training at any decent level. Doing baby workouts while pursuing running more miles - like you mentioned you're over 70 going into CIM. I want to see what that does for me for once too. Your legs shouldn't feel trashed for much longer! 

Reynauds: if I knew how to post a pic here earlier I would've shown what holding a pint does to my fingers. 

M_M_C

General question: How do you all stay motivated to run during the winter months? I had trouble running around this time last year, and that same feeling of not wanting to go outside in the dark is starting to creep back in.

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

CalBears

General question: How do you all stay motivated to run during the winter months? I had trouble running around this time last year, and that same feeling of not wanting to go outside in the dark is starting to creep back in.

1) Treadmill with a movie when weather especially bad

2) Friend who promised to kick your ass

3) Moving to California

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sling - that's been my experience too. I'm so careful now when I'm warming up again to not overdo it, otherwise the pain you mentioned literally makes you want to cry.

Cal - I'll take the sun coming out at 8 am if it's 43 degrees. That sounds damn near perfect to me! Would rather that than 43 and rain...

Cinnamon - I didn't know you changed jobs! I always thought it was so badass how you balanced everything (it probably goes with your overall vibe too )

MMC - If I recall, you aren't really training anything, so I'm not surprised you don't have the motivation. I have always found December to be the hardest month to train out of every month. The days are the shortest, spring races are far away, and you know you're not even at the coldest point of the year yet. The only way I get over that is to build backwards from a schedule. That way, I know if I start slacking on runs, the entire buildup in mileage will be screwed and I won't be able to achieve my goals. For example, this cycle I wanted to build up to 80. I knew if I sandbagged any week, I wasn't going to be able to build up to 80, because it meant I wasn't getting the weeks in the 70s (or 60s) like I needed. That usually is the key motivator for me. You can't just screw around in December and then jump up to high mileage in Jan/Feb: you're going to get injured.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

JMac is pretty much spot as any single forecast more than about  7 days is pretty much a wash; however I do like to take a look at the overall large-scale pattern and note what kind of variability there is from each cycle of the forecast model runs (and from different and ensemble based predictions) just to get an idea of what kind of pattern we might be looking at.  For example, the forecast for my upcoming HM hasn't really changed in the last 5-6 days as the pattern is pretty much locked in place (well ahead of the next cold front with decent ridging in the mid to upper levels so not a fast evolving flow regime) which is far easier prediction than say a coastal storm developing even a few days in advance (like Boston last year)!  CIM in general from a climatological point-of-view just has decent to great conditions year after year.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals - I love your enthusiasm after you were down and out just a couple of weeks ago! 2:2X or bust. What is your PR by the way, for some reason I don't know.

JMAC my PR is 2:34 from CIM last year. Prior to that it was 2:36 from 2014. I honestly wasn't chasing a a Marathon PR after 2:36. I thought about it for a second. Back then I was 165. I thought that was as fast as I'll ever be but once started running faster in my 45-49 AGs the thought of PR in a marathon occurred again. So here I am plus while my mile is in the 90 percentile my marathon is not.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

CalBears

JMAC my PR is 2:34 form CIM last year. 

Now, imagine what your PR would be if you didn't screw up CIM last year 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nimmals - Then 2:2X it is, given you botched CIM last year! It's too bad I won't be able to track you myself, but I'll look forward to checking in right after the race to see if you got it.

Cal - Speaking of forecasts, Sacramento's 10 day forecast just looks like crap everyday! What happened to perfect weather CIM? I wouldn't be happy with any of these days as a forecast!

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals - Then 2:2X it is, given you botched CIM last year! It's too bad I won't be able to track you myself, but I'll look forward to checking in right after the race to see if you got it.

Cal - Speaking of forecasts, Sacramento's 10 day forecast just looks like crap everyday! What happened to perfect weather CIM? I wouldn't be happy with any of these days as a forecast!

My GF has always wanted to run CIM it was her dream she is the one who dragged me out there last year only to be diagnosed with a stress fracture the Monday of our Thursday flight. the first time I heard of CIM was in 2012 right after I did my first marathon after Sandy cqncelled NY.  I trained in Sandy almost got killed, so when I saw CIM videos I had no interest. Who remembers 2012 when the winds were 26 mph with 40 mile gust and monsoon rain at the start. I remember seeing water pouring down streets I wanted no part of CIM ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJuFoLWn-nc

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Now, imagine what your PR would be if you didn't screw up CIM last year 

it would have been 2:30 thats why I am only gong to settle for 2:2? in my head been there done that for 2:30. im just making it official.

today was scary i quit my run i felt like absolute shit didnt finish my workout so i may be running 2:34 again. Did I leave my race in last tueasdays workout  I don't know. I struggled to hold 5:40 today. maybe my body knows i race thursday my body does that I chokes me so that I may go go go.

Cinnamon - Hahaha I loved Queen - Greatest hits was one of my Fav albums in college. Those 5 are how i survived college.

Nirvana - Nevermind

Queen - Greatest Hits

Bob Marley - Legend

Abba - Gold

Johnny Cash - Greatest hits

Running Problem

Problem Child

Your competition is out there training.

It will pay off big in the spring when you're not lazy.

It builds mental toughness.

I'd rather not sit at home for 2 hours watching TV when I could just go do a run at the nice sunny part of the day.

I bought all these winter running clothes so I don't have any excuses.

It's not any different than running when it's hot as FAWK outside and I'm not motivated.

Even a 45 minute run is better than no running.

No bailing on the run until 1 mile is over.

Get a streak going and make it to 1 month. No excuses. 1 month straight of running and if you fail it's because you made an excuse that's softer than what your online friends deal with.

Jmac 40% chance of rains for a week is crap? 30% chance of rain Saturday morning and Sunday evening with a breeze out of the North. Sounds like some good race weather to me. EDIT: CIM could be this weekend. 80% chance of rain and 15-20 mph winds out of the South East.

nimmals  https://wander-place.blogspot.com/2012/12/race-report-2012-california.html 

I didn't run marathons at this point. I've heard about it though. It's something I kind of fear each training cycle. Lots of people here want snow..but "in the mountains" and I ask what a mountain is when you live at 4,500 ft. elevation. They seem to think 6,000 ft+ so that would mean we'd get a lot of rain. People don't like rain because it isn't pretty like snow. 

I'm apparently doing tapering right because I'm back up to 165 lbs. A month ago I think I was down to 157. I might need to cut out some snacks.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22