2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

CalBears

Brew, so you can identify Cal in the crowd Sunday here is a recent pic of him from his training. He will probably wear this outfit for the race.

Second time today I compared to somebody who looks like Ivan Drago - hahaha - you guys are funny - I am an old guy with grey hair (or whatever left of them) with an old woman running style - but I am still very thankful for being able to run around sub 3 hours time with that running form Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

JMac - btw, if you want a beer 100%, carry ID with you - couple of times I had to meet some idiots who didn't let me in without ID - despite my gray hair and my age printed on my racing bib - there is some type of people in every part of the world whose luck of brains just frightening 😱

Running Problem

Problem Child

Awesome JT.

I won’t be sticking around long either, I have a 4 PM out of SFO I have to catch. But I’d like that one beer. Brew - this is motivation to run faster, so that you can catch me at the beer garden 

Aight. I imagine you’re like 5’2 110 lbs with a funny accent asking for a ‘bee-AH’ from Sierra ne-VAAAAH-duh. Maybe I’ll run around looking for ‘Jack jack’ which is the baby from the incredibles in case you’re too young for the reference. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

Aight. I imagine you’re like 5’2 110 lbs with a funny accent asking for a ‘bee-AH’ from Sierra ne-VAAAAH-duh. Maybe I’ll run around looking for ‘Jack jack’ which is the baby from the incredibles in case you’re too young for the reference. 

You probably meant 6'2?

Those darn weather predictors - supposed to have rain all night.... Nothing!

Andres1045

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

I've downloaded the app so I can track you all. Man, the number of people from Houston running this race is just insane. Iknew it was a lot, but had no idea it would be that many. I ended up putting 16 people from Houston on my tracker. Those are only the people that I both know well and felt like tracking. There were plenty more that I knew, and tons more I did not.

Upcoming races: Boston

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

I've downloaded the app so I can track you all. Man, the number of people from Houston running this race is just insane. Iknew it was a lot, but had no idea it would be that many. I ended up putting 16 people from Houston on my tracker. Those are only the people that I both know well and felt like tracking. There were plenty more that I knew, and tons more I did not.

I've got about 20 to track as well. Time to compile my master list of names/bibs.

Good luck all!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

You probably meant 6'2?

Those darn weather predictors - supposed to have rain all night.... Nothing!

SERIOUSLY! I’m in Folsom now and other than the wind it’s nice conditions. Hope it’s like that tomorrow. Cloudy. Light breeze. Maybe a drizzle.

Saw some local runners (Race 178 booth) and picked up some advice. Mirrored here with ‘stick behind the pacer. They might go out too fast.’  See you in the mañana.

edit: just checked in. Apparently Folsom is giving me VIP access to the warming hut with private bathrooms. SCORE! Also breakfast starts at 4:30!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Good luck everyone! Race outfit is blue shorts, orange singlet, NYRR hat if it's raining. Will also have a nyc poncho on in the corral, so should be easy to find.

In the beer garden, look for the guy with a NYC marathon sweatshirt on. Will also have my phone with me for tracking so shoot me something on Strava if you wanna meet up for that beer.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Year 5 of WSER 100 lottery is in the books - no luck again - though there is one person who tried for 8 years still didn't get in. I wonder if I will get in before 60...

Hope the wind I experienced just a few minutes ago subsides by tomorrow morning - otherwise it's going to be pretty bad Sad

Running Problem

Problem Child

Jmac will do. You should see me at the finish line a little before 10.

cal bummer.  I thought everyone with 8 tickets got in last year. Crazy how many people try and get into that race. I might be willing to accompany you should you do it someday. I did it from Foresthill last year.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

cal bummer.  I thought everyone with 8 tickets got in last year. Crazy how many people try and get into that race. I might be willing to accompany you should you do it someday. I did it from Foresthill last year.

Ha-ha-ha! Everybody with 8 tickets got in? Are you kidding? Look at these numbers below:

Number of registered: 6664

Number of tickets: 27872

1 year (1 ticket) - 34 out of 3250 got in

2 years (2 tickets) - 30 out of 1447

3 years (4 tickets) - 42 out of 914

4 years (8 tickets) - 45 out of 549

5 years (16 tickets) - 45 out of 315

6 years (32 tickets) - 38 out of 126

7 years (64 tickets) - 22 out of 54

8 years (128 tickets) - 8 out of 9

In 2015, when I qualified first time and when the craziness just started, I had one ticket and I think like 7 or 8% chance, 4 years later I had 16 tickets and about 15-16% chance. Just crazy.

The weather at 7am at Folsom looks good - if it's 53 and just showers and no sun the whole way, it should be just fine. The question is - how 8 mph SSE wind would feel like - but 8 mph should not be a big problem imho...

weatherboy80

Looks like JMac is flying through 20K at 6 flat pace and just ran through the last 5K split at 5:57!  From what I can tell it looks like great weather too!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Thanks Weather for the update! Tracking is not working well for me... just looking at the athlinks site and the 5k and half splits are available there.

Nimmals: half in 1:14:53

Cal: half in 1:30:02

Brew: half in 1:29:23

Swim: half n 1:22:15

JMac: half in 1:18:26

Madison: half in 1:18:03

Everyone is looking on track!

Unfortunately I have to go now, hopefully someone can keep up the tracking?

2:52:16 (2018)

weatherboy80

JMac just ran 2:36:31 with what must be the best splits I have ever seen for a marathon 😳.  I don’t have tracking info for the rest of the folks though right now.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Awesome job JMac! You exceeded my prediction, well done!! Beautiful pacing as Weather said.

Damn, Boyd ran 2:30:24; so close to sub 2:30! A PR by about 4 minutes though and a great time, super pacing.

2:52:16 (2018)