2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Andres1045

JMac and Boyd are just absolute beasts!

Cal and Brew could have been battling right at the last couple of miles. Both snuck under!

Incredible day for the group!

Upcoming races: Boston

flyrunnr

Wow, great running JMac and Nimmals! Waiting to hear some of the other updates. 

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Wow - some fantastic running out there!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JMac and Boyd are just absolute beasts!

Yep, and they’ll both be going Sub 2:30 next year. 👍

Big shout out and congrats to Brew Runner on his first Sub 3 which I’m sure he’ll be ecstatic about!  See you at Boston 2021. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Nimmals: 2:30:24

JMac: 2:36:31

Swim: 2:53:54

Madison: 2:38:16

Cal: 2:59:38

Brew: 2:59:10

Great job by everyone! Very impressive running!

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hasn’t sunk in. I did let out a ‘FUCK YEAH!  WITH AUTHORITY!’ when I saw my wife.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Nearly even pacing by almost all of you guys, that is great.

Cal and JMac with slightly negative splits.

Nimmals and Brew with slightly positive.

Brew, congrats on the sub 3 and what is a big PR for you I think!

JMac: with that awesome time it gets lost a bit that you chopped something like 8 minutes off your PR!!!  That's incredible.

Nimmals: What a race, congrats! I will get pissed if it turns out you made a potty stop though... Saw that you got 2nd in your AG which is huge at a race as big as this.

Cal: great execution in getting the sub 3! I'm curious to hear how it went and if you had any interactions with Brew during the race...

2:52:16 (2018)

M_M_C

Wow what a day, congrats everyone!

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

weatherboy80

Congrats everyone.  Sounds like an epic day all around.  Can't wait to hear more!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

nice job by all! Very impressive racing today!

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks everyone! I’m probably the most proud of how I paced this race. I was joining groups and abandoning them as needed, and really made sure to try to keep things in the 5:55-6:00 pace the whole time. I can’t believe I negative split the race. I knew things were going to be okay once I hit mile 21 and I didn’t feel anything like I did at Boston, where I wanted to punch every cheering person in the face for the final 5 miles. I had to work really hard those last couple of miles to keep pace, and especially to stop my stomach from turning on me, but I got it done.

I got to meet cal and brew in the beer garden, which was also great. We made sure to talk some shit about Mikkey at Boston and how he has no chance . I looked everywhere for nimmals at the start and end but couldn’t find him. He ran a great race and I’m looking forward to hearing the details of his race.

I’m off to TX for a work event, but I’ll write up a full race report within the next week.

Oh and weather - you’ve been hitting the exact same paces as me and running similar workouts. I think I just set your bogey 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Negative splitting sounds horrible. I like being POSITIVE with my races. You should try it jmac. The Athlinks results show a prettier pacing execution for my race than the app. I’m positive by less than a minute. Also missed sub 2:59 by a few seconds because I’m all about that sandbag lifestyle.

Is there a way I’m supposed to act at races now that I’m a sub 3 marathoner?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

Is there a way I’m supposed to act at races now that I’m a sub 3 marathoner?

Yessss.... Now you have to prove your sub 3 eligibility every time you run a marathon...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

Great job guys - after so much worrying about weather, we had it almost right I think. Congratulations to everybody - I think everybody hit their goals?

JTR - I actually spotted Brew around mile 8 - apparently I was ahead of him before that - but only interacted for a half mile around mile 11 - Brew talks to everybody and I saw he actually was cheering some spectators. We talked about crazy sub 3 pacers and then exchanged some thoughts about how it is not even a half a distance. After that he left me in the dust and I never saw him again Smile Actually after that conversation I had major struggles with pace Smile - my avg pace went from 6:97 to 6:52. The whole experience was pretty good during first six miles and then my pace steadily started to hit 6:55-7:00 range. I just targeted to have avg 6:52 pace by mile 23 and then I knew from experience that if I have sub 3 in me I could just put my effort to 110% and get the pace down to get that sub 3. Basically that is exactly what happened - good sign was that my hamstrings were totally fine comparing to last year and I just tried to push myself to the max until the end. Very excited with the result.

Met JMac and Brew at the finish which was obviously great as it's always awesome to connect virtual image to real person. Both guys were elated - just showed it in different way - JMac was extremely relaxed and Brew sweared a lot  No I do not remember talking a lot of sh*t about Mikkey - because he of course has a chance like each of us (but we understand it's just a theoretical chance) - we only talked it would be great for Mikkey to run CIM and see how "easy" and "downhill" it is Smile

Now the goal is to continue training throughout the year to get to the next level based on this cycle.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Thanks everyone. Yes, I obviously wanted a faster race but I'm happy with a 4 minute PR.  I was with one of my athletes and she had to abandon the race so I picked up her bag and left right after I finished.Sorry I missed every one.  Great job JMac, Swim, Brew, Jayluf and Cals,

So I was thinking about the negative vs positive splits. I think to each his own that's a great way to run but when I used to run that way I always felt like I had a lot left and question the results like what if I had been more aggressive earlier. I use to finish races with 5:31 last miles even today my fastest mile was my last. On a course like Boston  I prefer to front load the race so that when it gets flat or hilly I have a buffer.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.