2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

slingrunner

I'm certainly not breaking my 12 mile run into 4+4+4 because I think it's better from a training point of view, it's more like it was the only way I was able to get myself to hop on the treadmill after a long day (outside wasn't more appealing either).  Just wondering how much of a negative.

Pfitz's saying don't do short runs is definitely about the effort to stretch, change, drive there, etc.  Obviously not relevant when I'm just hopping on and off my treadmill.

I find training at these high levels is really a mental challenge.  During my last cycle I told myself that every little 5 mile run might be the extra couple seconds I need to go under 3hr.  Failing by 10 seconds despite doing every run was demoralizing, especially since it wound up likely being the exact opposite.  If I had skipped a few runs, I wouldn't have had my last second injury and missed the last couple important sessions and might have made my goal.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Looks like everybody on this thread got out for their long run today instead of Sunday! Super bowl prep?

I tried to go for a V02 max workout on Tuesday, but my legs just don’t have that speed in them. I also failed one of these workouts right before my injury. I guess it’s just a sign of getting old. I’m going to focus a lot on strides during the rest of this cycle to try to get my turnover back.

One other thing I’ve been a lot better about this cycle is strengthening. Obviously the injury put a bit of a scare into me, but still, doing a lot to try to stay healthy. You realize when you’re doing it how little time it takes that you wonder why you’re so lazy about it otherwise.

Weekly Summary
      Monday, Jan 28, 2019 thru Sunday, Feb 03, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description Link
      Mon 9.9 7:41 Evening Run strava
      Tue 14.0 7:44 8E + 3x1200 + 2E strava
      Thu 10.0 7:49 New record low for other runners seen: 3 strava
      Fri 9.8 7:40 Evening Run strava
      Sat 20.0 7:33 Afternoon Run strava
        63.7 7:41  

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac: Nice week and LR.  I'm impressed you got outside every run; it was brutally cold most of the week (though after hearing what temps Madison is running in I feel like a wuss complaining about -5 deg F). Good idea to stick with the strength training, it's good injury prevention work. And you're too young to start attributing things to "just getting old"!

My week: I got in Tuesday's Q session on the track before it got super cold, although at 13 deg F it was the coldest track workout I've ever done. I was happy about how the 8k tempo felt and the HR data from it; right around 160-165 range at 6:00/1600m pace, or about 6:03 mile pace. The pace in the table is wrong as my Garmin had me going at 2 min mile pace for about a lap for some reason. Anyway, the HR data is in contrast to running "6:15" pace on the mill, where my HR was getting up to 170+. It does make me think my treadmill calibration may be off as Steve and others have mentioned. Overall 3 runs on the mill and 3 outside this week. Today's long run in 33-40 deg temps felt tropical compared to earlier in the week  Looking forward to the continued heat wave this week.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
        Tue 3.1 8:00 Warm up 0 strava
        Tue 5.2 5:48 8 km tempo in 30:00 on the track 0 strava
        Tue 3.1 8:07 Cool down 0 strava
        Wed 8.0 8:50 Morning Run on TM 0 strava
        Thu 10.1 8:03 Morning Run on TM w/ 8 x 30 sec strides 0 strava
        Fri 12.3 8:17 Afternoon Run (too tired to do hill repeats) 663 strava
        Sat 6.2 8:57 Lunch Run on TM 0 strava
        Sun 22.1 7:31 Long run w/ fast finish (last 3 mi in 6:33, 6:19, 6:11) 775 strava
          70.1 7:56   1438  

2:52:16 (2018)

Laura

Jmac- I laughed when you said seeing 3 runners was low....I'm lucky if I see 1 (when running near my house at least). Like JT said, impressed with being outside all week - and nice 20 the cap off the week.

JT- Nice 70 mile week and definitely glad for the little heat wave going on. We have a few more days of it here but then going back down (though not as low) mid week next week. solid fast finish 22 too!

I had a good week back at it after last weeks hot mess recovery week. Everything was on the mill except Saturday/Sunday due to extreme cold and also being home with Hannah all week. Wednesday was 12 miles with 5 x 1 mile - it felt decent but mentally was more work than I thought it would be. Switched LR to Saturday since today is husbands 40th birthday and didn't wanna have workout hanging over me.  MUCH needed outside long run workout... 30 degrees felt amazing. Warm-up then 10 at 6:33 (7x 1 mile at MP (ended up 6:15-28 on those depending on headwind/terrain) with .5 float (6:50-7:20ish). It was 16 miles total and a good confidence boost. Even in the middle miles with brutal headwind I was able to hit paces and not mentally give up either. A much needed Win.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Mon 5.0 9:08 Post dinner shuffle strava
          Tue 9.0 8:15 Naptime miles strava
          Wed 6.0 8:46 3 up/ 3 down strava
          Wed 6.0 7:05 5 x 1 Mile (5:50,5:42,5:43,5:39,5:35) {walk recovery included in time/dist} strava
          Thu 6.2 8:20 Naptime 10k strava
          Fri 6.2 7:48 Naptime 10k strava
          Fri 4.0 8:24 Easy double strava
          Sat 3.8 7:37 Warm-up strava
          Sat 10.0 6:33 7 x 1 mile MP // .5 mile moderate easy strava
          Sat 2.3 7:32 Cool Down strava
          Sun 7.6 8:06 Shorts and long sleeve aka my fav running temp strava
            66.1 7:54    

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

finbad

JMac - nice 5 day week. Do you ever run with others? I find those sort of intervals much easier when I do them with my club.

JT - Each week you look like you're getting fitter. That 8k looks good.

Lela - Great week and MP is looking good. For the Saturday miles is the idea that you're not fully recovered after each float? Just asking cos the recovery looks quite long but still at a decent pace. I've got mile repeats on Tuesday night and I think my recovery will be 90 seconds (walk/jog) but I'm running them as straight up reps.

My week; Really enjoyed the variation of the 2 minute and 6 minute intervals on Tuesday and it showed, I was toast on Wednesday. Thursday was meant to be longer but it was really cold and icy so 14 with an 8 mile progression. Saturday long run, I knew it was time to do 20 miles but again it was too icy to mix it up with paces so ran the totally flat canal path as steady pace. Happy with the week but missed my strength sessions. This week I'm going to cut the miles back a bit, do fewer doubles and make kettlebells class.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Mon 8.6 7:41 Large son strava
            Mon 4.5 8:24 Afternoon Run strava
            Tue 9.1 7:05 Lunch Runners: 2,2,6,6,6,2,2 strava
            Tue 4.4 8:34 Cushioning grapes strava
            Wed 5.4 8:23 Stick a fork in me, I'm done strava
            Wed 4.4 8:28 Afternoon Run strava
            Thu 13.9 6:53 Garscube out and back strava
            Fri 2.5 7:45 Afternoon Run strava
            Fri 0.8 8:02 Afternoon Run strava
            Fri 4.4 8:24 Afternoon Run strava
            Sat 1.1 7:40 Oops strava
            Sat 19.2 6:50 Practicing mental toughness - ran past the house at 17 strava
            Sun 10.3 7:34 Slushy but weirdly fun strava
              88.6 7:30    

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - I'm definitely getting old enough that I'm past my 5K prime! You're so right on the temps. It's amazing how the body adapts to heat, because the first time it hits about 50 degrees in the fall it feels frigid, whereas yesterday I was walking around like it was the middle of the summer. As someone who has never done a spring marathon before, it made me appreciate why even temps in the low 60s are disastrous. Anyway, I was checking out your strava and your consistency over the past 2 months has been crazy good. Do you take down weeks at all? It just seemed liked a steady stream of 65+ (besides Xmas week).

Lela - Really good workouts! I know this is probably a bit late, but how are you finding your running life post baby? Is it significantly more difficult to juggle everything, or just different?

Fin - Nah, but you're right, I should recruit someone to do these with. The accountability (as you talk about so frequently) is important. I think cutting back for you is smart here, your mileage buildup has been insane, let alone the great workouts you're getting in (that Saturday run after that kind of mileage is crazy). You are in great shape, don't get too close to the sun here.

DWave - I know you haven't posted, but congrats on the 4 miler! First AG is incredible, even if those pesky 50 year olds beat you. I read your blog, can't believe that was your first Central Park race. What did you think of the experience? NYRR races are both a disaster and incredibly well run at the same time. That 4 mile loop is my bread and butter for training, wonder what your thoughts on it were (I think you said you've run in CP before but never raced).

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

finbad

JT - I'm definitely getting old enough that I'm past my 5K prime! 

I plan on running a 3k best some time soon, please don't burst my bubble.

Actually, looking at your PR's you're due to take time off of all of them just based on your marathon time

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

finbad

Fin - You are in great shape, don't get too close to the sun here.

Thanks, I'm going to try to be really careful not to become the fittest guy that can't race.

weatherboy80

JMac:  Nice week especially on 5 days of running and the brutal cold!  Don't worry too much about the workout.  If I had to choose I kind of like getting my LR/ workout done on Saturday AM that way I can sort of sleep in on Sunday, recover a bit, and doesn't kill my Saturday evening with my wife.

JT:  Big week and an excellent tempo session.  Looks like a very solid week of marathon work to me Smile Can't imagine doing that track workout in that kind of cold though.  Well done!

Lela:  Yet another big week with a nice speedy session of cruise intervals.  Agree with Fin that your MP is looking very solid!

Fin: Not much else to say, but that is a huge week!  I do a lot of my workouts with a few others especially on the track where we can run in a few different lanes to even out the pacing.

DWave:  As JMac said congrats on your race and AG award!

Me: Decent week volume wise, but everything felt rough as my HM race effort last weekend beat me up more than I realized.   Both my hamstrings were especially tight and sore for the first 2/3 of the week.  Finally felt a bit fresher towards the end of the week where I was able to get in a nice LR with a slight progression down into the upper 6 pace range on Saturday.  Then yesterday had several miles where my legs finally opened up a bit more.  Going to try to ease back into my Q2 workouts this week, but I'm guessing it will be another few days until everything clicks again Smile

Day

Miles

Pace

Description

Link

Mon

7:50

Morning shuffle

strava

Tue

8:05

40 degrees!

strava

Wed

7:43

EZ + 1@moderate

strava

Wed

7:43

Yup still windy 💨 

strava

Thu

7:35

EZ + rusty strides

strava

Fri

7:42

Run and rinse ☔️ 

strava

Sat

7:22

No more chipotle the night before a LR

strava

Sun

7:04

Finally feeling the legs coming back!

strava

7:35

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Anyone here running Boston in the 2:55-2:58 range. I need someone to team up with my young Padawan an keep an eye on her. $$$ or Beer if you get her to 2:55.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Swim5599

Good looking weeks everyone.  Down week with no LR for me due to being in the keys for a wedding.

Mon 8 with strides 8:15

tue 10 with 4x7:30 at just under threshold power (5:50)

wed 8 8:14

thurs 10.5 with 3x15:00 at just under marathon power 6:10

fri 8 at Sea level 7:50

sat 8 with strides at sea level 7:45

sun SRD

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Jmac- I laughed when you said seeing 3 runners was low....I'm lucky if I see 1 (when running near my house at least). Like JT said, impressed with being outside all week - and nice 20 the cap off the week

I have similar experiences to Jmac  - I probably see at least 100+ runners during a weekend run, more if we're within 16 weeks of Marine Corps, when runners are like fleas..  On early weekday mornings, I'll see 15-20.  Tuesday at the track, there's often at least 50-75 runners on the track between the various teams, individuals, and boot camps.  It's actually good practice for dealing with crowded races.

Thanks for the congrats, all.  It was fun. (race report here - don't think I deposited it in this thread before)  I liked that loop - it was rolling but had a nice flow to it.  The turns were a bit sharp, especially with all the sand/salt that was on the pavement.

Disaster/well-run is the perfect way to put it - it did feel like a bit of a cattle call.  It was interesting how hard it was to find a place to warm-up.  I come from probably the only other city in the US that has the same security concerns on a daily basis as NYC, but I've never had to deal with that before.

I didn't have to wait for a portapottie, even at 20 minutes before the start, so that was nice.

My week: 47 miles, 16 "miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming:
                          M: Yoga and 8 "miles" pool-running
                          T: 10 miles, including 2000, 4x800, 2x200 in 7:58, 2:59, 3:02, 3:00, 3:01, 41, 41.  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                          W: Yoga and 10.5 miles very easy (8:42) plus drills/strides
                          Th: upper body weights/core and 8 "miles" pool-running.
                          F: 7 miles, including 1 mile up-tempo in 6:36.
                          Sa: 4 miles very easy (9:21)
                          Su:  3.5 mile warm-up, then 4 mile race (Gridiron 4M in Central Park) in 25:16 (6:33/6:16/6:24/6:05), followed by 1 mile jog.  Later did another 5.5 very easy (9:06 pace) in Central Park.  Also some injury prevention work.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Andres1045

I plan on running a 3k best some time soon, please don't burst my bubble.

Actually, looking at your PR's you're due to take time off of all of them just based on your marathon time

Yup to both of these. I still have plans to get under 17 in the 5k. Don't take that goal away from me.

And I agree that your 5k pr is really soft compared to the full.  While it might be possible that you're out of your prime for a 5k, that's totally irrelevant since you didn't run your best potential 5k whenever it was that you think you were in your prime. I think getting back to the hurt of 5k pace takes a little bit. But once you're there, it's easy to build on.

Sling - I agree with you that marathon training can be a slog, mentally. I'm having a hard time getting over the hump and convincing myself that's what I actually want to do. The "not having a definitive marathon on the calendar" part isn't helping.

JT - That finish to the 20 miler is absolutely flying.

Lela - That's a great showing there - trying to get the miles in wherever/whenever you can. I'd struggle with the motivation without having specific times that I could get out and run. Great job getting it done.

Fin - I like that you're recognizing it. Seems like most people that get there seem to blow past all of the signs and enjoy the great fitness.

I got in about 45 miles last week with an 18 mile long run on Saturday. The day after that, I finally decided to give up on the idea of trying to cram a marathon in soon. I'm going to go with darkwave's advice and plan on Cherry Blossom as a goal race. The goal for a while was to do something strong in Houston last month to then build towards a full marathon. That obviously didn't happen, and I feel like I missed out on the weekends of 15-17 mile long runs with long and fast workouts during the week. I really enjoy that type of training much more than the marathon build ups.  Hopefully if I can get some of that training in, get a good result in CB, then I'll get more motivated for the slog that is marathon training.

Upcoming races: Boston

steve_