2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather - that actually sounds perfect! You run a lot of doubles, so how are you handling that? I wonder if there's any way we can optimize that too. If you've been running 9x a week, definitely want to get that down.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

Probably no more doubles after this week!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Andres1045

Nice mileage, cinnamon. I raced a 10k in Barcelona last month. It was awesome. I did the full there back in 2017, which was also a blast. Great city.

DW - Good looking weeks you're putting together. Any thoughts on what you hope to come away with in Houston? I know you don't really like thinking about specific times...but. And I'll do what I can to meet up Sunday. It'll depend on the timing. I can likely stop by on my way home if it's soon after the race. As the day goes on it might get a little more hectic. If you haven't decided on a place yet, Boomtown at 300 Main is great. It's a block or so from the start, but that area should be cleared out totally even by the time the half is done. Also, I usually go to the expo Friday at lunch if you're in town by then.

Weatherboy - Sorry I have to ask, but what full are you targeting? Looking great to finish things up.

JMac - I think I'll stick to my plan, but I'll try to stay open minded about it and allow myself to be persuaded. Here's my thought. I ran just under 1:21 for the half seven weeks ago with only one or two workouts under me. Doing the three I have left will put me at about eight or nine workouts, and will at very least get me to sub 1:20 shape, if not in to PR territory, something at or near sub 1:19 (I generally don't need a lot of those kind of workouts to improve my half pace--the two times I ran sub 1:20 I did it with five workouts, one per week). Realistically, knowing me and my performance in the marathon, sub 2:50 is the absolute best I can hope to accomplish in January. But I don't know that focusing too, too much more on my half paces (or thereabouts) alone will get me there. I'm not nearly as efficient at marathon pace as you are, and I generally get a really good stimulus by running at or near marathon pace (even those long runs where I'm running big chunks in the MP to MP+20s range). Or put a different way, I need those types of runs to get ready to go the appropriate effort for 26.2 miles. So that's why I think I need to keep with the three additional long runs, and keep doing them like I have been, at something approaching marathon pace. Once I can get back to running a decent marathon, I'll be willing to mix up my training some more. But it's been nearly three years since I've had a decent marathon. So I'm still a bit timid as far as the distance goes.

And on that note, I plan to do NYC again (assuming I get in) for the 50th anniversary. Are you doing it?

Upcoming races: Boston

weatherboy80

Andres: Thanks my full will be on Jan 5th (so less than 20 days now) at the Jacksonville Bank Marathon.  It's still Florida so the weather will be a total crap-shoot yet again, but the course is supposed to flat, fast, and in the past they have had some decent competition in my pace range.  Plus at least it will be up in north Florida so I figure I have a better shot at some cooler weather than down here in Melbourne.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I stand with Cinnamon, The jacket sucks not just the color but the fit too. Honestly I have more than one but a few years ago I stopped getting a jacket.  I get my jackets one of 2 ways either I bought them from Marshalls $29.99. Or my GF usually gifts me the jacket and last year I told her save her money.  It cost me $380 to run Boston last year. No way I was giving BAA more money. Btw -  I just picked up two nicer Adidas jackets for my GF. $23 at your local Adidas outlet store. This has a nicer fit in blue, black or orange.

LOL even my son rejected the Adidas products I bought him an Adidas hydroflask and Tiro pants and top. He was like can you switch it for Nike preferably something with Kaepernick . Speaking of Pretentious, I have so many Adidas $50 GC from BAA races. Even free I reject it. Now the London and Berlin jacket.... Well that's my cup of tea in 2020.  Boston jackets are played out you only ever need one.  If its your 1st I get it. But if its your 20th you're a pretentious douche just like your Coward in chief'.  I think one is enough I will take my first and get it embroidered like the old GOATs.

When I'm out to dinner in Boston and I see some old fart with a 1993 Jacket that's their 1st with the year and times embroidered.

Now those are some cool ass justifiably pretentious jackets. I am often moved to buy the person a drink and have them tell me a story about their first race. If you want to support the sport save your money and buy a GOAT a drink. Their stories are often worth hearing

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - Good looking weeks you're putting together. Any thoughts on what you hope to come away with in Houston? I know you don't really like thinking about specific times...but. And I'll do what I can to meet up Sunday. It'll depend on the timing. I can likely stop by on my way home if it's soon after the race. As the day goes on it might get a little more hectic. If you haven't decided on a place yet, Boomtown at 300 Main is great. It's a block or so from the start, but that area should be cleared out totally even by the time the half is done. Also, I usually go to the expo Friday at lunch if you're in town by then.

Not sure what the goal is for Houston yet.  Ideally I'd go sub-84, but I'm not at that fitness currently - we'll have to see how the next few weeks go.  If I had to race it next weekend, I'd ballpark my current fitness at around 87-88 minutes, but plenty of time for improvement, and I've got another month to go (I generally lose a lot of fitness post-marathon, and then regain it)

I fly into Houston on Friday, landing at 4:10, so won't make a lunchtime expo meet-up.  Thanks for the rec - we may consider that.  I have one friend running the half, two running the full, and another friend working the expo.  We'd probably be hitting some place as soon as is realistic after the full is done, as we all have Sunday night flights.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Is getting a race jacket just a Boston thing?  I’ve never bought a jacket from any marathon event and just happy with the medal...and if they throw in a free top as well then cool. 👍.  I had a look at the Boston 2020 jacket and why the massive logo on the back?.....not my cup of tea at all.

Andres - I think you’ll surprise yourself at Houston and have a breakthrough marathon. Also focus on being mentally prepared and not dwell on previous marathons that didn’t go to plan. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Is getting a race jacket just a Boston thing?  I’ve never bought a jacket from any marathon event and just happy with the medal...and if they throw in a free top as well then cool. 👍.  I had a look at the Boston 2020 jacket and why the massive logo on the back?.....not my cup of tea at all.

Andres - I think you’ll surprise yourself at Houston and have a breakthrough marathon. Also focus on being mentally prepared and not dwell on previous marathons that didn’t go to plan. 👍

I thought about buying one at Chicago. It looked nice. Very simple design. I saw a lot of NY jackets there in 2018. The $120 CIM jacket also looked really nice and warm I was just cheap. I like the Boston 2020 jacket. I like the massive logo just because I don’t wear my medal around town to show people I’ve run a marathon.  I think a lot of the general public thinks the Boston Marathon is a big deal. It’s just as far as the Las Vegas Rock and Roll marathon but lacks the prestige of being one of two times in a year responsible shutting down the Las Vegas strip.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

Oh my.... I like the colors of 2020 Boston jacket - not Brexit colors, but colors of our freedom!  I think I had a most unfortunate Boston jacket streak:

2014 - orange - bought it because it was my first

2015 - purple - bought it because I was extremely stupid

2016 - green - didn't buy it because - f&&k it those idiots

I am pretty sure the 2021 jacket's color will be some acid like color - that is my luck - I will never get/run a classic blue yellow jacket 

Mikkey - you need to buy a jacket because it will be your first - big logo on the back may not be that big in 2021 and even if it's big, it's nice and cool and you will be a star in your local Brexton-city...

Andres - go for sub 2:50 - which you can do obviously, don't go crazy or "surprise-yourself" marathon - go for a solid, predictable time - it will help you to have great training cycle next and then another great marathon! Consistency is a key!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I thought about buying one at Chicago. It looked nice. Very simple design. I saw a lot of NY jackets there in 2018. The $120 CIM jacket also looked really nice and warm I was just cheap. I like the Boston 2020 jacket. I like the massive logo just because I don’t wear my medal around town to show people I’ve run a marathon.  I think a lot of the general public thinks the Boston Marathon is a big deal. It’s just as far as the Las Vegas Rock and Roll marathon but lacks the prestige of being one of two times in a year responsible shutting down the Las Vegas strip.

I guess I look at running jackets differently as I see them as a practical piece of clothing for wet and windy conditions. I have one running jacket which I bought years ago which does the job and cost the equivalent of about $80.

Will I buy the 2021 Boston jacket?  Only if Cinammon buys one as well. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Andres - go for sub 2:50 - which you can do obviously, don't go crazy or "surprise-yourself" marathon - go for a solid, predictable time - it will help you to have great training cycle next and then another great marathon! Consistency is a key!

I meant that he could surprise himself in that Sub 2:50 won’t be that difficult and would be an 8min PR. I wasn’t saying that he should go much faster than 6:30 pace!

CalBears

I meant that he could surprise himself in that Sub 2:50 won’t be that difficult and would be an 8min PR. I wasn’t saying that he should go much faster than 6:30 pace!

You are safe Mikkey - I didn’t blame you at all. And yes, I agree, somewhere around mile 18-20 Andres may feel he has better than just mere sub 2:50 and go faster / that stuff happens...

Andres - go for sub 2:50 - which you can do obviously, don't go crazy or "surprise-yourself" marathon - go for a solid, predictable time - it will help you to have great training cycle next and then another great marathon!

Sergey Bubka and Joey Chestnut would agree with Cal's advice.

CalBears

Sergey Bubka and Joey Chestnut would agree with Cal's advice.

I understand your sarcasm rovatti but sub 2:50 wouldn’t be 1cm PR for Andres - that would be 8 minutes PR.

I don't disagree with you, but there is an art to getting 8 PR's in a row....