2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

CalBears

I don't disagree with you, but there is an art to getting 8 PR's in a row....

Unfortunately, long forgotten art - those youngsters just don't have a stamina for that...

Actually... If you take into account the first race, there were 10 PRs, without first race - 9.  And most of them, btw, were not 1 minute PRs...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

I guess I look at running jackets differently as I see them as a practical piece of clothing for wet and windy conditions. I have one running jacket which I bought years ago which does the job and cost the equivalent of about $80.

Will I buy the 2021 Boston jacket?  Only if Cinammon buys one as well. 😁

I look at them the same, and a celebration of something I've accomplished, or places I've been and I like showing off what I've done. I spent $100 on a rain coat that says "Patagonia" on it. I don't see it as any more or less special than a jacket I bought that says "ABA BMX Nationals" or (insert high school name here) varsity jacket I don't wear anymore. I'll buy the 2021 because it's my first. If I go back I'll buy it if I like it, or I need a jacket. I skipped the nice $120 CIM one because I have enough jackets. I also have $100+ in Jeep parts I want to buy.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

It’s amazing how weak some muscles you think are OK could be - 25 lunges and 15 squats after run yesterday and I can barely walk today

cinnamon girl

'If you want to support the sport save your money and buy a GOAT a drink. Their stories are often worth hearing'  +1  I got to run some miles with Benji Durden on the Boulder XC course a few years back. It was just him and I and I was ALL EARS during the run hearing him talk of his running and what the scene was like in the 80s. I didn't want the run to end. He was so unpretentious  It wasn't that long ago but seems so long ago  . . .

Mikkey - jacket ain't happening. Save your money for the bar tab. My most beloved possessions of races (other than my bibs - I like my bibs) are the street signs that I hijack. Totally free - no cost    NYC is a nice 8" x 10" no parking sign. They were plastered on every tree in Brooklyn. And from Vancouver - it's quite large - like 2 ft x 3 ft.

Weather - you're going to have a great race !! 👍

JMac and Andres - thanks for the encouragement.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Andres - forgot to get back to you. I'm not sure about NYC. I've lost all motivation currently after htiting such a big PR. I know it'll come back to me once January hits and Boston training HAS to start, but I realize that my motivation after each marathon and PR is going to wane since there aren't many more goals for me to hit.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I've lost all motivation currently after htiting such a big PR.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Jmac Run streak. Lets see if you can get 6 months of daily running in since you're out of PRs to hit. How long before you start doing workouts again? I'm slightly interested in a JD half marathon training plan. Is the 2013 edition the newest of his books? I recall you saying there was a new version you purchased. I kind of need something to do since I'm not training for Boston. I think my next goal should be a NYC qualifier. Is it a guarantee entry to run a 2:54, or do I need to beat it by some stupid margin?

cal So if I count my PRs I technically have three or four. I've PR'd the half both times I've PR'd the full in 2019. I think they were only by a minute though. I'm expecting a BIG deal for Boston 2021 and the jacket better be good looking (blue and yellow) not some color picked out of a lipstick catalog. you seriously got back into running sooner than I expected.

I'm about to start running again. I've SERIOUSLY enjoyed the time off while also being miserable. Wife was gone for the week after CIM then this week was office parties or other shenanigans so I didn't do my lunch runs. 50 miles a week seems like an excessive amount of mileage. Oh and my wife just told me she wants to do workouts on Saturday mornings so my plans to keep my "long" runs have changed to Sunday for a few months when it will warm up enough to take my son. She doesn't want me taking him in 20-30F weather regardless of the layers I put on him. It probably has something to do with his 3 hour naps after swim lessons though. She seems to enjoy that time.

I still don't identify as a sub 3 marathoner. It is still weird for me to think I've taken almost a complete hour off my marathon time, or I'm sitting on a BQ-5:50, OR that it just felt so damn easy minus some "hunger" pains and I did it without 4% shoes. Maybe I left something out there and could have gone 6:45/mi.  I'm moving to half marathons now. Might try and set a half marathon PR outside of a marathon. Some spreadsheet I found somewhere online based on some complicated running calculator(s) say(s) I can run just about a 6:00/mi pace for a 5k. I don't believe it because that's what really fast people run. 10 mph?!?!?!?!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Brew - based on your newly minted marathon PR, every one of your PRs is there for the taking, some by 5+ minutes....2020 should be the year of PRs.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - jacket ain't happening. Save your money for the bar tab. My most beloved possessions of races (other than my bibs - I like my bibs) are the street signs that I hijack. Totally free - no cost    NYC is a nice 8" x 10" no parking sign. They were plastered on every tree in Brooklyn. And from Vancouver - it's quite large - like 2 ft x 3 ft.

I thought that would be the verdict and that’s cool....we’ll just point and laugh at Cal and Brew in their matching Boston jackets. 😁

Brew - Good idea to think about qualifying for NYC as that race is amazing...and don’t be put off about it being a non PR course. You said that your race felt easy and that’s exactly how I felt during my first Sub 3....bottom line is you ran it perfectly.  Did Kipchoge look like he was about to collapse and die when approaching the finish line when he broke 2?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Brew - based on your newly minted marathon PR, every one of your PRs is there for the taking, some by 5+ minutes....2020 should be the year of PRs.

Seconded.  I think that you just need to find the right race, and also come down and race at sea level for some of your shorter races.  Maybe take a trip to try the Carlsbad 5000.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Andres - forgot to get back to you. I'm not sure about NYC. I've lost all motivation currently after htiting such a big PR. I know it'll come back to me once January hits and Boston training HAS to start, but I realize that my motivation after each marathon and PR is going to wane since there aren't many more goals for me to hit.

You’ll be chasing the dragon now and running CIM again next year. Guaranteed.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Andres1045

You’ll be chasing the dragon now and running CIM again next year. Guaranteed.

Yup. I agree this is likely. I know you wrote that you don't feel a big draw to getting sub 2:30, but I doubt you feel that way for long. Having a 2:2X PR would be really cool (and it just keeps going from there). But I'd also encourage you to focus on hitting other milestones beyond the classic "PR". I know you've done NY before, but getting sub 2:40 there would be a great accomplishment, as one example. And for that one, you don't even need to be in PR shape. Or try finishing in the top [SOME LOW NUMBER] at Boston. You step up in harder courses and varying weather. That can lead you to placing higher than you might otherwise in some races.

Upcoming races: Boston

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think dwave and steve both SERIOUSLY underestimate my ability to sandbag. 2020 should be the year of "go out and have fun" because 2019 was the year of BOTT. Make Running Fun Again.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

I think dwave and steve both SERIOUSLY underestimate my ability to sandbag. 2020 should be the year of "go out and have fun" because 2019 was the year of BOTT. Make Running Fun Again.

Interesting how people are different - for me running just for FUN would the least fun.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Interesting how people are different - for me running just for FUN would the least fun.

Who is to tell you what is fun and what isn’t fun? Fun doesn’t mean you can’t go out and race hard. It might just mean to make sure you’re enjoying it. Even an easy run. It might also mean to have a good time while running.

VDOT 53.37