2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Anyone follow the race of the decade bracket on LRC? I think Rudisha's 800m WR/2012 Olympic win is a fitting winner. I've watched that race countless times and always get chills; it was truly a majestic run. I was happy to see Jager's near sub 8 steeplechase from 2015 was up there. That race was incredible; too bad he has never gotten back to that form since.

Thanks for posting the tracking info for your race Weather. I think you should target sub 2:36 or at minimum beating JMac's PR.

2:52:16 (2018)

weatherboy80

Thanks JT!  Certainly will be gunning for 2:3x based on how everything looks.  As for JMac’s time we shall see as he even exceeded my expectations going in and those splits were dynamite!  Once I get past that first weird mile or so plan will be to settle into whatever M effort feels right.  Right now the wind on the back half of the race is probably my biggest concern hence why I would love to be able to have a pack of folks to run with.

EDIT: Current forecast now calls for about a 15-20 mph headwind for about half the race 😕 Although I love the logistics of these smaller races pacing at my ability level means things can and will get pretty isolated at times.  Somewhere like CIM or Boston that is no problem as there are many groups to tuck into at various times.  Therefore, since this is an out and back course what kind of pacing strategy would you advise with a decent tailwind for many of the first half miles and then a stiff headwind for the back half?  Do I try to pick up a few seconds with the tailwind and just bite the bullet with the headwind for the later miles?  With the marathon that makes it tough to do specially for those last 4-6 miles!

Anyways, Happy New Year everyone!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather - that’s the awkward range where if it’s actually closer to 10 mph, you’ll be okay, but if it’s 20 mph, it’s going to have a significant impact on the pacing.

Assuming it’s the higher end, you just have to go with the flow. The bad thing about what you’re going to experience is that the tailwind is first. Not only is that difficult because you have to face the headwind when you’re most tired, but more importantly, it’s going to be hard to judge what marathon pace should feel like. It’s easy to see your pace start creeping down around mile 3-5 and think “oh that’s just because of the tailwind” but don’t let it impact you too much. At those winds, I would say you should expect maybe a 5s per mile gain in the first half. So I would say running in the 5:50 to 5:55 range is okay on the way out. On the way back, it’s going to be a complete grind, but hopefully you can hold something in the 6:0X range for the final 10K.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cinnamon girl

Weather - sounds like you need to decide if you're going into it as a race, or if you want a time trial (fast time). If you want the latter - then hold off and run on a different day - Louisiana?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

On another note - Brew, we’re waiting on that new thread 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

On another note - Brew, we’re waiting on that new thread 

Sheesh! Kids these days...no patience. Don’t injure yourself with that sprint to check the forum. 

EDIT: Created. Fully plagiarized without citing my reference. It will be obvious. I didn't want to make it too "colorful" and scare people off with my "real" self. I'll have to save that for next week.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

weatherboy80

JMac & Cinnamon:  Nope this is a race pure and simple.  Idea is to just go out and see what I can do on race day.  Plus in running, rarely do we EVER get conditions that are forecast  to be perfect.  My hope is that there are a few guys out there that wanna run somewhere around my pace range.  Otherwise maybe the trees and other objects might block some of the stronger wind gusts as well (I've never run this course, but imagine parts are pretty sheltered).  Furthermore, perhaps if we get more of a westerly component it could act as more of a cross wind along portions of the last 10-12 miles so lots of variables still at play.  At least it won't be 70+ degrees LOL

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Andres1045

Weatherboy - Don't talk yourself out of a great race. According to NOAA, it looks like the forecast is sub 10mph wind, with gusts barely getting to 12. And isn't that typical for 24 hours following a cold front? At least it is here. Just remind yourself that you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better off dealing with some wind (whatever it turns out to be) over temps in the 70s with high humidity.

As for the clothes, DW is right on, in my opinion--be ready to shed stuff. Looks like it will remain in the 40s, so shorts seems like a no brainer. I'd still go with singlet, but short sleeve t-shirt would probably be fine (it doesn't look like it'll warm too much). A cap seems to keep me extremely warm, to the point that I've never run more than a mile in a race with one. I'd get a cheap one you don't mind tossing. In those temps, I'm also always more than comfortable wearing the thin $1 Target cotton gloves that you don't mind tossing when the sun comes out.

Crush it!!!

Upcoming races: Boston

weatherboy80

Thanks Andres!!  Nope no excuses it's time to go - well after a few days of some much needed sleep anyways Wink

From what I can gather from the latest point forecast from the NWS yes yesterday they were calling for gusts in the 20 mph and they have come down ever so  slightly to the 11-13 mph range instead Smile  Plan is to have shorts, a singlet, arm sleeves, and maybe one throw away shirt on top to discard after a few miles.  Will plan on some thin gloves and a disposable hat on top as well.

cinnamon girl

JMac & Cinnamon:  Nope this is a race pure and simple. 

Ok Cool !! 👍

For anyone not aware, the 2020 thread is up and running...the dishes are officially done here.

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

The closest shot I had was in 2013 when I was 5th OA and ran 2:55 and the winner ran 2:40. But it got more competitive after that - I should check, but I think to win any marathon around here I should run something around 2:30 - which would be a "real macho" thing for me.  Maybe if I pick something around the country? But there are so many scavengers in this environment of competitiveness.

Yes, and I knew you didn't run 2:51 in NYC 

Quote because modified 1/14/2020. I'm watching you. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

No reason provided
                              No reason provided
                              dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Bots

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k