2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Feb 4-10  Time 13h:59m  Elevation Gain4,596 ft

Mon slow

Tues slower

Wed slowest mi

Thu  more slow mi

Fri more slowest

Sat  BS in Dead Zone when I wanted to be slow

Sun  BS in Dead Zone Miss slow is it monday yet

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dw - Your week was very backloaded, very interesting. 

Interesting - I didn't see it that way.  That's my standard week - pool-running on Monday and Thursday; track workouts on Tuesday; and Friday; easy double on Wednesday, easy Saturday, and long run on Sunday.

Very good news on the calf, BTW!

What the hell is "BS in the dead zone"?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

7.6 miles is an odd distance - why wouldn't they just have a 12K?

DW: The race is one loop around a lake, that's why it's an oddball distance. Another great week by you. Looks like we are trading Tuesday track workouts! I hope I can get one in tomorrow morning before the snowstorm gets out of hand.

JMac: Great news on the gastrocnemius! Still 2 months till Boston so you can still PR if there are no more big bumps in the road ahead.

Finbad: I hope the quad continues to improve. Can't offer any help on therapy for that as the quad is one muscle I've been lucky not to injure yet.

Captain: Welcome! Let me know if I should put down any goal time for Illinois on the racing table on page 1.

Jayluf: Great week; that is one speedy long run!

Nimmals: Great 100+ mile week!  Let me know if you have any races/goal times for the year that you want on the table on page 1. Sub 2:30 somewhere??

Anybody see the Millrose mile on Saturday?  What a race by Kejelcha. Missed the WR by 1/100th of a second! It seemed like he was getting bunched up behind the pacer pretty much from the start; that might have been the difference. I wonder if the pacers are really needed/useful for indoor track races...

2:52:16 (2018)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Interesting - I didn't see it that way.  That's my standard week - pool-running on Monday and Thursday; track workouts on Tuesday; and Friday; easy double on Wednesday, easy Saturday, and long run on Sunday.

Very good news on the calf, BTW!

What the hell is "BS in the dead zone"?

DW - it’s that useless pace that does nothing for you, that many people like to run in 7:00-7:40 and is the reason so many perform poorly. I think if you’re a 2:40-3:20 marathoner the deadzone is 7:00-7:40.  It makes you good at running inthe deadzone and poor at racing.

Jt been following young Coco for a while she too quickly dismissed herpacer. I felt for Kejelcha but he was from the wrong country. I’ll be damned if an Ethiopian gets the mile any of the mile records.

anyway very happy with Coco. I wanted Laura Muir to come train stateside we got Sivan instead. Don’t get me wrong Sivan is amazing but she a sit and kicker I’m excited to see how front runners like Laura and Coco do as they up their training and fillin gaps in their race strategies.. Coco is the real deal I saw her upset a field of elites 4 years ago in a 3k by taking out the race by time the big guns figur3d out she was kryptonite it was too late love the tenacity Coco and Laura take to the Kenyans and Ethiopians. Case of beer Coco double gold Medal the 5k & 1500 in Tokyo.

steve_

powered by plants

Ron J is no longer my teammate btw. I love Ron like a brother. I try to guide him but the guy is obtusely stubborn.

He has never run 1 good Boston. Look at 2017 he did the unforgivable.... he started yelling at me like I was the one who put rollers in the first 5k.  I was cracking up he almost had a nervous breakdown when he saw the early rollers.  Then at 3 miles he said he was done??? WTF. I know he is pacing some other races at 2:55. But he is suppose to be racing Boston. I am having a singlet I made for him, so he better not be dicking around. I am taking the singlets to get done up tomorrow.

Check out his sunday run he demolished my segment. I was very proud of him as I had invited him to do my 20 miler with me on sat. if he can replicate that I'd give him a lifetime supply of beers.  all he has to do is replicate that pace for entire boston 26.2.

I didn't realize you guys weren't teammates any longer.  Yeah, his training is ass-backwards.  I saw that 20 miler this weekend.  If he doesn't run 2:39 or faster I'm not gonna stop laughing for a week.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

steve_

powered by plants

Add me for NYC this Nov. (11/3) with a goal of sub 3.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

I think if you’re a 2:40-3:20 marathoner the deadzone is 7:00-7:40.

Well this is obviously nonsense. If you're a 2:40-2:50 marathoner then your easy / general aerobic pace is probably in the 7-7:40 range. And at the other end, if you're a 3:20 marathoner, then your marathon and half marathin race paces are within that range.

Runners run

Truth.  What else would the pace be for a 21 mile long run?  Would you purposely run slower than 7:40 or run quicker than 7 minute pace?  It doesn't make any sense.

Well this is obviously nonsense. If you're a 2:40-2:50 marathoner then your easy / general aerobic pace is probably in the 7-7:40 range. And at the other end, if you're a 3:20 marathoner, then your marathon and half marathon race paces are within that range.

been following young Coco for a while...

Also....Koko, please.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                    JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yeah, I'll throw my hat in the ring of that pace range not making sense. Even 7:00 pace for a 2:40 marathoner can make sense, that's a pretty standard MP+10% range.

Steve - I'm skipping out on NYC this year and going for CIM, but that means I will be on the course rooting for you as my apartment is on 1st Ave.

Andres - Thanks for your comment on Strava, you're always a straight shooter and I appreciate it. I think you may be right, I'm running myself into the ground trying to get into PR shape, medial knee tendons/ligaments are sore this morning in an odd way. It's probably better to just give up on the PR and try to get to the line healthy. Problem is I hate easy runs and look forward to my quality days, which is why I train with the Daniels style in the first place, so I'll have to find a good balance. Not running Boston at all would be a disaster though.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

ZZCaptainObvious

JTReeves - You can put me down for 2:59:59 for Illinois.

Andres1045

Andres - Thanks for your comment on Strava, you're always a straight shooter and I appreciate it. I think you may be right, I'm running myself into the ground trying to get into PR shape, medial knee tendons/ligaments are sore this morning in an odd way. It's probably better to just give up on the PR and try to get to the line healthy. Problem is I hate easy runs and look forward to my quality days, which is why I train with the Daniels style in the first place, so I'll have to find a good balance. Not running Boston at all would be a disaster though.

I totally get that. And the quality days help you ease up on the other days. But maybe you can find something between all easy and the outrageous Daniel's intensity. What do your weeks look like when you're just ramping up and getting ready to start a cycle? Do those have easier quality in them? I don't expect you to need all that much to still throw up a solid time in Boston.

Upcoming races: Boston

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Also....Koko, please.

I prefer Coco like my dog.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Well this is obviously nonsense. If you're a 2:40-2:50 marathoner then your easy / general aerobic pace is probably in the 7-7:40 range. And at the other end, if you're a 3:20 marathoner, then your marathon and half marathin race paces are within that range.

That's my point exactly. Why would you log so many miles in that range especially if you're a 3:20 marathoner or an aspirational sub 3er. Too bad the old boards (Runnersworld forums) aren't up. anyway I'm not having this discussion again that so 2007,  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, (I stopped posting).

I knew that then and I'm not explaining my self or my methods.

It's a factual statement for me its baloney rubbish for you. the context was my training week.

Ive been around long enough to know that no matter what I say you need to make your own mistakes.

People don't come here to learn anmnd exchange, people come here to show-off and shoot the shit and maybe steal some ideas.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I'm back because I got my eyes on London 2020. Tee and I plan to shack up with Mikey and his Old lady for tea and crumpets.

Where is Mikey anyway?

Free Room and Board Mate