2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Also, 7:40 is super easy. Unless it isn't. (but it super is). And just run easy. I endorse not wearing a watch (or at least not running to a watch).

Yep, a few years back I did a couple of training cycles with no watch for easy runs and it was true easy effort level without the hassle of depending on the Garmin. Then I got sucked into Strava because apparently if it’s not on there then it didn’t happen. 😳

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

You can always wear your Garmin, but not see pace.  That's what I do.

My normal running screen shows three things: Time of Day, heart rate, and total distance covered.   I see what my pace was when the run is finished.

Of course, I take a perverse pride in how slow my easy runs are sometimes.  It's the running equivalent of wearing black when everyone else is wearing pink.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

LOL, my "build" leading up to that marathon was about 20+ weeks of no running followed by 10.9, 20.3, 27.9, 32.3, 36.4, 39.2, 50.2, 53.8, 56.9, and 63.4 (including the marathon) mile weeks. If you think I was anywhere close to being in sub 15 shape at that point in time, you are completely off base

Which begs the question, why bother?  I bet the marathon distance was an eye opener for you...how big was the positive split?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

M_M_C

I actually even split...

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

I actually even split...

When are you running another one? And it should go without saying but "never" is a perfectly acceptable answer.

(mta: and I'm pretty sure I know the answer based on the date, abbreviated "build up" and finish time of your first one)

Runners run

M_M_C

Not sure why you’re being condescending. All I did was note that running with assistance (TV and music) makes you soft, mentally (not physically, I thought it was obvious but evidently not). I came out of running retirement to qualify for Boston on a whim just because my friend wanted someone to run with (and I qualified so that’s my next one FYI)

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I actually even split...

An even split 1:30:005/1:30:005 is pretty cool and different. I like your style. 👍

slingrunner

Not sure why you’re being condescending. All I did was note that running with assistance (TV and music) makes you soft, mentally (not physically, I thought it was obvious but evidently not). I came out of running retirement to qualify for Boston on a whim just because my friend wanted someone to run with (and I qualified so that’s my next one FYI)

Running with a TV, makes you quite strong physically.

But seriously I don't really understand your point.  What is one supposed to do while running in an empty garage? I don't need music to survive the run, I need it to add some stimulation I would naturally get if I was outside.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

But seriously I don't really understand your point.  What is one supposed to do while running in an empty garage? I don't need music to survive the run, I need it to add some stimulation I would naturally get if I was outside.

*unlurk* (sorry but this thread has just got too entertaining to ignore of late)

+1 for this.  As someone who is lucky enough to live somewhere that you can run outdoors basically year-round, I admire anyone that's got the commitment to smash out TM miles consistently to keep their mileage up when outdoors isn't an option.  Having music/TV isn't weak, it's really just an effective use of time and some necessary stimulation.  I mean, what are you supposed to do, stare at the wall for an hour?  Does that make me somehow weak because I enjoy the sights and sounds outdoors during a run, and the fresh air?

Anyway I have to say, MMC's stats do make me feel a little better about my marathon PB relative to my other times 

*relurk*

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

M_M_C

Running w/o music or television is an easy way to build mental toughness and build self motivation. There's an interesting Joe Rogan Podcast with David Goggins where they discuss this. Maybe you could give it a listen while you're running on the treadmill or something.

We can talk about my marathon PR again in April.

Cheers m8

pepperjack

pie man

Did david goggins say what he thought Jimmie Johnson was going to run at Boston?

From his strava:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2109306325

11:11 3,000 (recent)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

How does torturing yourself make you a better marathon runner? The point of going through difficult moments in training is to teach you specificity for the race distance, like running at marathon pace at the end of a long run or doing something like a tempo-long-tempo run. I can’t remember the last marathon I ran where I just said “nah I’m done this is too boring, it’s because there’s no TV just bounding along with me down the course, wish I trained without one.”

I’m going to lock myself into pitch black solitary confinement for 24 hours during my off days to build mental fortitude, supposed to be one of the most difficult things to do for people. That’ll really up my training to the next level. I bet Kipchoge would have broken 2 hours by now if he practiced more of this.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Running w/o music or television is an easy way to build mental toughness and build self motivation. There's an interesting Joe Rogan Podcast with David Goggins where they discuss this. Maybe you could give it a listen while you're running on the treadmill or something.

We can talk about my marathon PR again in April.

Cheers m8

I actually thought you were joking with your first post!

I’ve run marathon and 50k distances on the treadmill at my gym....but there are tv screens and I listen to music. Boo!!!  If I listen to a band like Green Day or similar then long distances are a doddle on the tm.

steve_