2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

finbad

Nimmals/Darkwave - good call on the hill sprints, need to find time for that

JMac - weatherboy is the form man for sure but we're not dead yet. BOTT is a mindset (or something).

JT -Thanks, yeah, feeling fine. have decided to miss this weekend's cross country 10k as a precaution, and also because it would prevent a proper weekend long run.

Race day must be getting closer, I found myself think about gels for the first time in months

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - where do you recommend I start for Hudson? I also want to read the Hansons at some point. I've only read Pfitz and Daniels, would be good to start expanding on my knowledge.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

JT: No 100 miles for me this cycle Smile  I accidently did that once last year and it was a bit much.  I feel like I'm right on the edge of impacting some of my quality paces so this is enough!  I'm sure I'd even be okay knocking it back a bit, but enjoy the volume typical - well most times anyways Wink

LOL JMac!  Nice looking week BTW.  Looks like you are at least getting in some nice MLR's!  You and Fin certainly have the potential and the speed to still throw down something really fast.  I've run Boston the last 2 years in a row and have had numerous interesting weather days in my recent race so I'm a bit race/weather weary right now Wink  Maybe I'll see where my upcoming few big M/T/M workouts land, but we are back to morning lows in the low to mid 70's again Sad  As usual my plan is to keep up with the workouts (when I can) and to get as fit as possible and let the race come to me.  I'm sure this is the mileage speaking but (again) after my workout this morning I feel like I've lost just a bit of my top end speed over the last month or so compared to when I was doing more track stuff before my fall HM.  The good news is that I feel healthy all this considered so I'm gonna blame the recent volume ...

Fin:  I hate gels myself.  I'm sure I could use more of them with the heat training I do, but I really try to avoid them most of the time.  I do a few practice runs where I will take 2-3 gels at least several times before my marathon though.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals: Strong week. I like those 2k repeats, I need to do that kind of workout.  BTW, what did you think of Sifan's 14:44 5k road WR this weekend?  She'll be tough competition for KoKo in Tokyo, whether she does 1500m or 5000m.

JT - What an exciting week I watched Sifan was so happy for her my girl Laura had third fastest mile ever. I love Laura you have no idea how much I love her spirit. She takes it to the Africans like no one else.   Young CoCo is just as determined as Laura. Its gonna be ,GBR NED, GER in the Tokyo 1500m final. I think those girls will shut out Obiri.

You also have to watch Tefera race against Kjelcha in the 1500 That was the most amazing race after Laura Muir Solo assault imagine if she had the help (pressure) Kejecha & Tefera put each other under.  Im excited CoCo is home for the german championships shes gonna do the dirty double. Excited.

The 2ks are my staple.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ha Weather, you need to just set your goal assuming good weather! I said it 6 months ago, and I'll say it again: it's going to be perfect weather for Boston. Also, it's not surprising you feel the way you do, you're reach peak marathon training fatigue and you're running crazy mileage. You can always just take a sharper taper if you feel like crap. Also, you SHOULD be losing top end speed. If you were keeping the same speed you had for your HM, then you're not doing it right!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

ZZCaptainObvious

Captain: Is snow-shoeing a similar cardio effort to running if you push it enough? Seems like it might be like X-country skiing which is pretty close to running in terms of cardio intensity.

JTReeves - ehhhh, no. If I were better at snowshoeing, maybe. But I was snowshoeing through my neighborhood, which meant that it was walking with snowshoes on. Also, I hadn't snowshoed in two plus years, so I was pretty cautious and tentative.

X-Country skiing is way more intense from what I've done so far.

finbad

Nimmals/JT - hoping to get along to the European champs in 2 weeks time since it's here in Glasgow. I sort of forget how big time Laura Muir is because I see her training regularly. I've seen her doing hill reps at the end of my street and really wish she would put this up on Strava because she'd cream all of the fast club guys who are currently creaming me on my local hill.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - where do you recommend I start for Hudson? I also want to read the Hansons at some point. I've only read Pfitz and Daniels, would be good to start expanding on my knowledge.

Hudson wrote a book around 10 years ago called "Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon" - I'd get that.    If you've read Pfitz ("Advanced Marathon Training", I'm assuming) and Daniels, then you've hit my biggest recommendations anyway, though I'd add Keith Livingston's "Heathy Intelligent Training" to the mix as well.

Hudson also wrote a book called "the little black book of workouts" but I haven't been able to get hold of that one yet.  I also question the utility of a book that just lists workouts, since the magic of training is in the arranging and sequencing of workouts, not the workouts themselves.  IMHO.

I've read the Hanson's marathon book (BTW, I've read a LOT of books) - I didn't think it all that useful for runners at our level, honestly, and it's not a plan I'd ever follow myself.  For example, you've got the much ballyhooed limitation of the long run to 16 miles, under the theory that you don't need to run longer than that when you've got cumulative fatigue from other training.  However, for runners at our level, we're already doing enough training during the week to accumulate a lot of fatigue, and then are used to doing runs longer than 16 miles on top of that.  For us, a Hansons type plan is a step back, and usually an unnecessary one.  I think Hansons works much better for runners whose marathon training focuses almost exclusively on the weekly long run, while shortchanging other workouts and weekly mileage - they benefit from the more balanced Hansons approach.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals/JT - hoping to get along to the European champs in 2 weeks time since it's here in Glasgow. I sort of forget how big time Laura Muir is because I see her training regularly. I've seen her doing hill reps at the end of my street and really wish she would put this up on Strava because she'd cream all of the fast club guys who are currently creaming me on my local hill.

Oh my God that would be so sweet to watch her in motion up a hill. She doesn't have the best form but it damn works for her. I'm surprised she doesn't do the head bob. It almost looks like she doesn't know what to do with her hands and head when she lights up the paces. I've only met her the one time and I talked to her for 20 minutes she is lovely.  I'm such a fan boy of her you have no idea.  I have her Glasgow Nike shirt.

I'd eat popcorn watching her do hill sprints. She is going to destroy all of Kelly Holmes records. Now with Dibaba and Semenya out of the picture it is very possible to see an 800m\1500m Gold double in Tokyo and Laura is just the Dame to do it. Did you catch that

Melissa Bishop is a dark threat too if she gets back from her babycation .

Back to hill sprint segments, sprints should be 2:30 -2:50/mi on a good day.  2:50 to 3:30/mi on a sloppy day. Its amazing the speed and power one develops when its part of their regimen.

Hudson also wrote a book called "the little black book of workouts" but I haven't been able to get hold of that one yet.  I also question the utility of a book that just lists workouts, since the magic of training is in the arranging and sequencing of workouts, not the workouts themselves.  IMHO.

It's actually very Good. I have a borrowed copy, it belongs to a deadzoner. I think its worth the $70 if you understand coaching\training. I like Hudson personally.  My issue with the Black Book is, he borrowed everyone's workouts made money gave no credit. I was very pissed off to see not even Steve Monaghetti got credit for his own Fartlek workout. In the whole book, he only gave credit to one person Salvatore Antibo's 10K Alternating Laps.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

x

Andres1045

I've read the Hanson's marathon book (BTW, I've read a LOT of books) - I didn't think it all that useful for runners at our level, honestly, and it's not a plan I'd ever follow myself.  For example, you've got the much ballyhooed limitation of the long run to 16 miles, under the theory that you don't need to run longer than that when you've got cumulative fatigue from other training.  However, for runners at our level, we're already doing enough training during the week to accumulate a lot of fatigue, and then are used to doing runs longer than 16 miles on top of that.  For us, a Hansons type plan is a step back, and usually an unnecessary one.  I think Hansons works much better for runners whose marathon training focuses almost exclusively on the weekly long run, while shortchanging other workouts and weekly mileage - they benefit from the more balanced Hansons approach.

I've read Hansons and followed their program. I loved both, yet I also agree with everything written here. It's been a while since I read it, but I seem to recall them pointing some of this out. Such as things like "our plan is based primarily on Daniels" and that it was a simpler version of a lot of what's already out there. So yeah, if you're already doing the JD stuff or have followed his plans, this is likely a step back. I often find myself in the "I just need to train more and more consistently" as opposed to maxing out and at the point where I need to "train smarter" so a lot of their concepts in the book still work for me. I like the simplicity of their programs, and the weekly consistency. But I still tweak it, often making it even simpler. I go beyond 16, and keep it to two hard days, with 4-5 easy days, combining their LR and their MP days (not always quite hitting MP in the LR, but usually close (yeah, I know, that leads to death)).

Upcoming races: Boston

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’m also a big fan of Laura Muir and I think her character is similar to Paula Radcliffe....sweet on the outside and hardcore in the inside. Plus she’s been training to be a vet which gets more thumbs up from me. She’s definitely a good role model for running. 👍

Running books?...”Run Faster” by Brad Hudson is my favourite (favorite). 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Did someone say Hansons?!?!? It's similar to a JD2Q. Since you like the calendar approach it's Tuesday speed/strength (switches halfway through) and Thursday 10 seconds faster than GMP. Lots of charts to base your running paces on. Maximum 16 mile long run. The strength runs are 6x1 mile repeats up to 2x3 mile repeats at GMP with Thursdays being 6-10 (I think) miles at 10 seconds faster than GMP. So pretty much the last 9 weeks of training is a lot of running right near goal pace. Since I just read all about that "daniels paces are ridiculous" talk from the beginning of the year the logice Hanson's use for their 16 mile run is pretty much....the 20 mile marathon run is for elites. It's based off them finishing it around 2 hours. Their logic is the average person can't run a 20 miler in the same amount of time as the elites, and running that much does more harm than good because you're not fully refreshed heading into your next workout. Also, they go with the long run being something like 25-30% of your weekly mileage and discuss how MOST training plans say that then instantly violate it with suggesting a 20 mile run and a 50 mile week. They're also big on "cumulative fatigue" so you're never FULLY rested going into a long/strength/speed workout. I like it. Currently following it. Nice to know Tuesday and Thursday is set and Saturdays are my early morning 7:00am long runs in this "bullshit weather" known as snow.

The book is cheap. I like it. I've done well with it. I also enjoyed getting away from a 20 mile long run.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

I'd eat popcorn watching her do hill sprints. She is going to destroy all of Kelly Holmes records. Now with Dibaba and Semenya out of the picture it is very possible to see an 800m\1500m Gold double in Tokyo and Laura is just the Dame to do it.

Nimmals: Maybe I missed something; why is Dibaba out of the picture for Tokyo in the 1500m? Is she moving up to 5k? Seems like she would be the favorite based on her WR. Then again, she has been erratic since that and injured on/off. A bit strange/suspicious how inconsistent her performances were last year. I'm more excited about her big sister in the marathon.

Regarding the 1500m indoor WR, yes I saw that and it was a great race. The guy who won seemed not to even care; no emotion once he was done and didn't really look worn out. I can;t wait for Yomif to get running outdoor track; should have a great season. He is a bit too tall for indoor track IMHO; outdoor he'll be able to stretch out that long stride better. Love to see him go after the 2 mile WR and maybe a post-World Championships fast 5000m. He got a 12:46 last year in the race where another Ethiopian ran 12:43. That's getting into the Gebby/Kenny B/Danny K territory....

2:52:16 (2018)

Laura

I go on a mini hiatus from the thread and all hell breaks loose. I don't even know what I just read pages of. I couldn't think of a good enough response to most of it  that didn't add to some of the nonsense that blurred the truths so will just move right along.

Jmac I randomly have 2 copies of the hudson "run faster" book DW and Mikkey mentioned, I'd be happy to send you along my spare.

Like many of you, I've read and own many of the running books. Total nerd about it. Re: Hanson - the biggest thing I like about Hanson is it gets people to stop thinking of a cycle in terms of how many 20 milers they run. I LOVE my long runs but know that I put too much emphasis on them for years without enough emphasis on the other miles in the week - that took me a long time to work on and missteps along the way but definitely have a more balanced look at the week than I did in early years. At this point, Hansons would be a step back for most here but I do think the concept is really good and more people would see better results if they focused on the week as a whole instead of just how long their long run is.

Last few weeks have been decent, just quiet and getting on with some changes at home etc etc. Lots of treadmill miles (GASP!), but some good quality workouts. Last week did a 2 mile T/800I/2 Mile T/800I/2 Mile T/800I/2 Mile T that just about made me throw up but glad I got it done. Last weekend did 19 with 4 x 2.5 at MP which was smoother than I expected even with some wind/icy patches.

Heading out for 20 today with total of 12 at MP (Broken 8 & 4) - on a late night flight out of Toronto tonight to Mexico so will be light training next week but will fit in running around the resort. First real true vacation that wasn't to visit people or for a race in.....way too long.

Anyone racing this weekend or everyone pretty low key until NYC Half and beyond?

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}