2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

M_M_C

That seems high. Is this theory outlined anywhere? I would like to know what assumptions they used, etc.

So Maurtens theory says a 170lb marathoner running 3 hours will need Maurtens gels every 30 minutes (6 Gels)  vs a 120 lb sub 2:30 marathoner who will need gels every 20 mins (7.5 gels)  Because even though smaller he is burning at a much higher rate than a 170 lb runner running same distance at a slower pace.

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

madisonrunner

Madison - how many calories do you think you take during a marathon?

I think I take in 400-500 calories in a marathon.  For my PR marathon I carried a bottle of Maurten 320 and finished that at the 1:40 mark.  I then took Gatorade at each aid station after that.  During training runs I could get the bottle Maurten down in about an hour but at MP it's a bit tougher.

The fact that CIM does not have a drink with any carbs on course I think is an enormous downside.  I'm shocked that they still do that.  When I ran CIM in 2015 I bonked big time due to lack of carbs.  I did carry gels (and practiced with them all cycle) but wasn't able to get enough of them down during the race.  I don't see the point to a drink with electrolytes but no carbs.  It's significantly easier to carry electrolyte pills with you than carbs.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'd like to touch on nutrition, since it came up this week. My discussion is around marathon nutrition itself.

As some of you now, stomach issues are my main race demon. I've never had to run to the port-a-potty, but I've had multiple issues with severe cramping, bad stitches (similar to cramping, but different spots), or nausea at the end of races. I've been able to battle the nausea by taking Nauzene tablets within the last 15 minutes of any race. I still haven't been able to deal with the cramps.

These cramps impact me a lot more in the marathon than other races. I can still get stitches, but they're more manageable. My cramping, I imagine, has to do with the nutrition required during the race, which is where this topic comes in.

For my first 3 marathons, I've done the following:

Gels: 6, 12, and 18, always with water

Gatorade: 3, 9, 15, 21(if I can stomach the last one)

Additional water: taken as needed for hot marathons (my first 2) or if I feel like previous stations were low in liquids in the cup

For my two 12 @ MP runs this cycle, I've run with 2 gels and 2 Gatorades (e.g. gels at miles 4/10, gatorade at miles 1/7), and I'm still getting bad cramping, so I'm starting to think this is something I need to address and not something I can train through. I'm contemplating two different things: 1) just using Gatorade throughout and ditching the gels or 2) still using both, but going down to 2 gels and spreading them out more while reducing the Gatorade input

So here are some questions for you guys, and any thoughts you have on my situation would be great, especially anyone else that has dealt with stomach issues during racing.

1) What's your fueling strategy? Have you tried different strategies and found more/less success?

2) Has anybody tried a Gatorade only strategy, or maybe a gel only strategy with water?

3) Do you think I would be good with just 2 gels and water only, or should I try 2 gels and still try to get some Gatorade in?

4) Any other thoughts/comments

In case a slower less experienced runner can offer some experience and advice...

I used Gatorade gels and Gatorade sports drink for a Chicago. I got stomach cramps in training and in the race. I was told it was probably too much sugar because the gels are supposed to be taken with water. If you stick with Gatorade and gels try mixing in water for one of the runs. It might require running with two water bottles, or ditching one on your loop and picking it up after, or stuffing it in your shorts. The water might help dilute the sugar. I have eliminated Gatorade gels from nutrition because I can’t buy them locally and it’s easy to blame them for my stomach issues. Currently using Honey Stingers and previously used GU. Never had a problem with either. I got cramps from NUUN even diluted to half strength for my first CIM. The next year (3:13 on a 3:20 goal then aiming for 3:15 5 days before the race, 10 minute PR) I did GU and water. No memories of stomach issues. I do remember being sore but that could have been the result of a PR. I was around 165 lbs on race day.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

My understanding is that gels and Gatorade are a bad combination when taken together (just too much electrolytes/sugar for the amount of water) and I can see how there might still be some issue when they are separated.

I would experiment first with just one or the other - my preference would be for gels, just because you can always carry those; for Gatorade, you're dependent on whether the race offers it.  And also because Gatorade makes me sick.  (many people have issues with Gatorade, due to the high fructose corn syrup)

Also play with different gels - many people that I know tolerate one brand well, and others less so.  For myself, I really do best with GU, and have had explosive results with others.  But I know others who love SIS, or Honey Stinger, or etc....

Why can you only carry two gels?  I carry many more, and I'm fairly certain I'm smaller than you (no insult intended - it's just that at 5'4" I'm shorter than most)

For myself, I rely on plain water and GU brand gels.  My gel and water strategy is to get in as many as I can during a marathon to keep the tank topped off.  I took 9 gels during CIM, believe it or not.   Who knows if I needed that many, but I could handle them, so why not.

My 2 cents here...100% agree with Darkwave. Gels and Gatorade are a bad combo.  You don’t want to mix sugars (fructose vs glucose/dectrose).

What works well for me is safety pinning gu’s on the outside of the shorts and the tucking them in. I’ll usually do two on the front that way.  Between that and one in each hand, I can easily handle 4 gu’s.  Gu’s and gels are specific to personal taste ( consistently and type). I’ve alternated between caffeinated gu’s in the past but just stick with what I like (lemon-line sublime).  The last few marathons, I never took the Gatorade and I felt better stomach-wise.

M_M_C

Decent week. Felt run down for most of it. Did an LT workout Tuesday (40 minutes WU 4x1600 with 400 recovery jog 5:48,30,37,46 on the roads and a 20 min CD) and did a 21.7 LR this morning. I didn’t fuel during the run and managed to average close to my PR marathon pace for this on a hilly route. Expect to be about 65 again for the week after a 2x30 minute double tomorrow.

Next week I’ll prob do 2x3200 at LT with a  40-50 minute WU and CD to make it 90 minutes total. I won’t be doing another 2:30:00 LR this cycle. Plan to be about 2 hours next weekend at a similar pace to this weekend. Shooting for the same mileage.

BTW I am glad the mikes went after me for my PR; it’s been the motivation I need to get out there!

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

Fin: How are you feeling? Hopefully you got over the cold quickly and are still on for your half tomorrow. Better to get the obligatory cold now than the week before Boston.

MMC: Really strong week, and I'm glad you are motivated. You have huge potential. There's a guy about your age in CT, who runs (and usually wins) most of the local races around here, maybe you even know him or have run against him at some point. Anyway, he ran a 2:28 at the NJ marathon last year, and his 5k PR is slower than yours at 15:38. Like others have said the sky is the limit for you.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

MMC - I agree with JT about your potential. Just a question of mileage for you. I know you were drawn in for other reasons, but glad to have you here. Also, Mikkey is always great motivation, he tried to move me down the Boston list and basically told Weather that he is soft.

Weather - crazy good run again today. I really hope you can do well with the rolling hills in Boston given the flat training in Florida.

Fin - Good luck! I know you have a cold, but hopefully you feel a bit better

Me - finally put together 2 weeks in a row that were good. I failed during my tempo attempt on Tuesday. It concerns me that I can’t get these LT workouts done, but on the other hand, I’m getting good long runs in and good MP work, so who knows where it’ll leave me for Boston. Today’s long run was just one of those where I let the pace take me wherever it did, rather than actively push or hold back. I worked my way down to sub 7:00 for the final 10 miles, which was nice.

NYC Half this weekend will give me a good idea of where I am at. A little far away, but already predicting head winds the whole time, just like expected. NYRR really needs to get their shit together and reverse the course, why have a course that runs almost directly into the prevailing wind direction that time of year? At least easterly winds are not the prevailing wind direction in Boston (that’s not saying it’s not possible, just the least likely wind direction of all).

Weekly Summary
                Monday, Mar 04, 2019 thru Sunday, Mar 10, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                Mon 8.0 7:44 Evening Run 389 strava
                Tue 14.3 7:29 Evening Run 427 strava
                Wed 5.8 8:12 Evening Run 204 strava
                Thu 9.7 8:01 Evening Run 180 strava
                Fri 7.9 7:38 Evening Run 384 strava
                Sat 22.0 7:11 Lunch Run 1125 strava
                  67.7 7:34   2709

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

steve_

powered by plants

NYC Half this weekend will give me a good idea of where I am at. A little far away, but already predicting head winds the whole time, just like expected. NYRR really needs to get their shit together and reverse the course, why have a course that runs almost directly into the prevailing wind direction that time of year? At least easterly winds are not the prevailing wind direction in Boston (that’s not saying it’s not possible, just the least likely wind direction of all).

Yeah, that would be nice, but it'll never happen.  They changed the course to avoid having tens of thousands of runners finishing in FiDi, Prospect Park is basically the same.  Remember, the Brooklyn Half used to start in Coney Island and finish in PPk until they realized there isn't the space.  The NYC Half course now sucks.  It's bad enough that we have a tougher than normal major marathon course, it was nice to have a fast half course.  Not sure what other finish locations can handle that many people without at the same time crippling the city.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

steve_