2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

ZZCaptainObvious

Bad training week for me. Just never got into a rhythm and then just kind of mentally checked out. Ended with 15.5 miles on the week, so nothing more to talk about.

(EDIT: I only ran three days last week - 4, 4, 7 and a bit).

M_M_C

Planned on 2x3200 this week. Maybe throw a third in there if I’m feeling saucy

MMC - I think the idea behind breaking up your LT workouts into 1 or 2 mile repeats is that you can get more miles at that pace than you could if you ran them straight. However, by running only 4 reps, you effectively just ran a broken up 20 minute tempo run, which is a bread and butter workout. You'll see a lot of folks on here doing 3x2 or 4x2 mile LT workouts specifically for that reason.

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

M_M_C

How did you run that 15.5? Did you only run a few days or did you run most days just not for very long?

EDIT: ZZ hopefully when it gets nicer out it'll get easier. Running in the winter in the midwest can't be easy

Bad training week for me. Just never got into a rhythm and then just kind of mentally checked out. Ended with 15.5 miles on the week, so nothing more to talk about.

(EDIT: I only ran three days last week - 4, 4, 7 and a bit).

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

slingrunner

JT- What type of treadmill do you have?  What is the problem it is having?  I think you said it just shut off?  Is it showing any signs of life?  I've had to do several fixes with mine over the last couple years and have learned a few things.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Sling: It is a Pro-Form 7500. The problem is a bit strange. The console works, and you can start the belt without being on it and it runs fine (just tested it this evening and it went up to 12 mph without me on it). But as soon as I step on it, the belt stops. The console and power remain on even though the belt stopped moving. The console even shows the speed it was running before it stopped. I tried decreasing or increasing the belt tension as this was one of the recommendations in the owners manual for this problem. No luck. If you have any ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

2:52:16 (2018)

slingrunner

I have a proform pro2000.  I'm assuming your machine is somewhat similar as well as the warranty situation but this could all not be relevant.

First thing the warranty depends on how long ago you bought it.  One level of warranty is where they are supposed to send somebody out to fix it, but I think what they actually do is send you a bad youtube video and you are supposed to fix it.  At least that's what happened to me when they accidentally thought I was under that warranty.  However they did ship me some pretty expensive parts for free to fix.  Any information they gave me to fix my treadmill was for a generic one, which slowed down the process of fixing it.

The first thing I would do is take the cover off the front bottom of the treadmill (I think with 4 screws) to reveal the motor control board.  There is a light there (on mine at least) that acts as an error message... I think when you plug in the treadmill and turn it on, if there is a problem, it will beep 3 times, 4 times, etc, and that will tell you what is wrong.

See link  https://support.proform.com/controller-led-blinking-patters/

Changing the belt tension seems like a good start, but obviously that didn't work.

If you are under warranty, and your experience is like mine, if you call them (which I'd recommend over sending an e-mail, although both were very annoying) they will want to know the beep code, and then they will ship you a new part and send you a bad video on how to install it.  In my case I had to install a new motor and a new control board.

If you do get any new parts (especially a new control board) don't assume that the speeds it comes with will be accurate.  There is a knob like thing on my control board I can use to speed it up or slow it down... by doing some math (calculating length of treadmill and amount of full rotations in a minute) I was able to recalibrate it (I found a formula online).  It came to me way off.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Thanks a lot Sling! This is very helpful and will get me on the right track to fixing the mill. I'll let you know how it turns out. Fingers crossed it's an easy fix but somehow I doubt that will be the case...

M_M_C

JT Please add Frank Nealon Boston Tune-Up 15K on 3/30 as my next race. Goal is 53:48

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT Please add Frank Nealon Boston Tune-Up 15K on 3/30 as my next race. Goal is 53:48

You're going to race a 15K all out just 16 days ahead of Boston? Or is this slower than all out?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You're going to race a 15K all out just 16 days ahead of Boston? Or is this slower than all out?

I actually think that’s a good idea...last tempo workout before the race and he’ll still get the benefit from it. A conservative estimate is 1 mile raced = 1 day recovery. A 15k is only 9.6 miles and he’ll either have started or just be starting his taper. Coach Mikkey approves.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

MMC: Table updated. Excellent goal time!

I agree with Coach Mikkey... 16 days is plenty of time to recover from a 15k, even if it is run balls out. Uncle Jack recommends 1 easy day for each 3k of distance raced. I would take a bit longer than that but I am on the extreme slow end for recovery. A young guy like MMC should be totally recovered after a week or less.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

FWIW, I ran an all out half 2 weeks before my first Sub 3....1:23/2:57 and it was an 11min marathon PR within 3 months and It would’ve been 2:56 if I hadn’t spent the last mile celebrating and high 5ing folk. I was 44yo at the time....so I’m sure someone half my age can handle a 15k race 16 days out...unless he’s a millennial snowflake?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

M_M_C

I don’t plan on going balls to the walls (maybe I will) but I hope for this to be a strong effort. Will cooldown to make it an LR. I figure I’ll be able to use to to gauge where I am at.

Coach Mikey can I just call you Coach?

Dont worry Coach, I make sure to take Super Male Vitality daily, so I should be able to recover pretty well!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

FWIW, I ran an all out half 2 weeks before my first Sub 3....1:23/2:57 and it was an 11min marathon PR within 3 months and It would’ve been 2:56 if I hadn’t spent the last mile celebrating and high 5ing folk. I was 44yo at the time....so I’m sure someone half my age can handle a 15k race 16 days out...unless he’s a millennial snowflake?

Why would you ever run a half all out 2 weeks before a goal race? I see no way that it could possibly help you run a faster marathon 2 weeks later. It's not whether he can "handle" it, he can. It's whether it will possibly leave any residual fatigue for his marathon, or impact his taper. Just because you ran 1:23 into a 2:57 doesn't mean that it was a good idea. That's like if Kipchoge went out before Berlin and ran a 58 half just 2 weeks before, ran a 2:03 and saying it didn't hurt him at all, when in fact we know he's capable of 2:01.

Either you taper into it and out of it to run all out, which is stupid within 2 weeks of a goal race, or you aren't actually running full effort but something slightly less, which means you shouldn't even be running it all.

Also, a 15K all out is not a tempo effort. It's a race. Tempo effort would be running MP in a half marathon.

Edit: just wanted to point out another silly example of why it's not about recovery. Would you race a 5K all out just 3 days ahead of your goal marathon race? You should recover in time easily with that with even a conservative "rest days = miles", yet I can't imagine anyone saying that's a good idea like they are here.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Andres1045

Why would you ever run a half all out 2 weeks before a goal race? I see no way that it could possibly help you run a faster marathon 2 weeks later. It's not whether he can "handle" it, he can. It's whether it will possibly leave any residual fatigue for his marathon, or impact his taper. Just because you ran 1:23 into a 2:57 doesn't mean that it was a good idea. That's like if Kipchoge went out before Berlin and ran a 58 half just 2 weeks before, ran a 2:03 and saying it didn't hurt him at all, when in fact we know he's capable of 2:01.

Either you taper into it and out of it to run all out, which is stupid within 2 weeks of a goal race, or you aren't actually running full effort but something slightly less, which means you shouldn't even be running it all.

Also, a 15K all out is not a tempo effort. It's a race. Tempo effort would be running MP in a half marathon.

Edit: just wanted to point out another silly example of why it's not about recovery. Would you race a 5K all out just 3 days ahead of your goal marathon race? You should recover in time easily with that with even a conservative "rest days = miles", yet I can't imagine anyone saying that's a good idea like they are here.

I'm not sure it would work for me, but I'd have a hard time taking such a strong stance implying that it's not a good idea for anyone. That goes for either the 15k (a full 16 days before) or the half (14 days before).  And the 15k seems much of an easier task compared to the half; it really seems like a non issue. I'd might even consider doing that myself, but with MMC's youth and running experience, I think that'll have zero effect on his Boston.

Also, I really wish Strugllr would come back out. Didn't he pr at Cherry Blossom (10mi 8 days before), BAA 5k (2 days before) and Boston all in the same year? Or at least he's had those three races all on his calendar for several years.

I personally enjoy racing way more than I enjoy training. If I can get several races out of all the marathon training miles, I'd definitely chose that. Even if it means my marathon is a minute to 30s slower than what it could've been.  My problem is I just need to get back to running all those mile so I can be in halfway decent marathon shape (and other distance shape too)!

Upcoming races: Boston