2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

slingrunner

Agreeing with the crowd here and saying that the consistency of the Maurtens is the key. The gentle/lack of flavor was great too.  Any other gel I took I would gag on.  Not having to deal with liquids is a plus too.  The big minus is the price.

I've got pretty good weather lined up for my 8K this weekend, but I'm under the weather.  I ran this 8k course once and finished in 32:04 with weather in the mid70s, a week before I set my 10K pr (at a faster pace).  I guess if I'm feeling healthy, and the wind isn't too bad (showing 15mph) with my caffeine and Vapor's, I'd like to go under 31 by a decent margin.  It's a bit of an annoying setup, as the 8k starts 5 minutes before the 5k, and it's an out and back, so I'll spend the last 1.5 miles likely passing hundreds of runners (I remember it hurt my tangents last time).

Good luck to Jmac, and anybody else with a tuneup this weekend.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Good luck Sling.

I've started to think about what to wear for my half this Sunday. It's going to be 32 degrees with an 8-10 mph diagonal headwind, so somewhat chilly. I always dress lighter in races, like I'm sure you all do, but I do run colder than most. The problem I have, in a sign that we're all different, is how cold my forearms get. They're basically an extension of my hands. When I'm running in a training run, I constantly need to rub my forearms to keep them warm if it's under 40 degrees and I'm out there for 90+ minutes. This usually forces me to dress warmer to keep my arms warm, but obviously then it means my core is warmer. I think the obvious solution is to use a lighter shirt, but then have arm warmers on underneath a light long sleeve. It's a bit goofy, but it's the only solution I can think of. I'm that guy who also has to wear gloves at temps nobody else would think of, like low 50s. I wonder if that bag balm would work as well, I know people speak of that for cold weather, not sure if it works for something like forearms.

This is a sign that arm warmers do have a purpose, unlike some people on other sites that think they're just a fashion statement or something.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

So....I start with the point that running for a period of time at the effort that you can sustain for 60-90 minutes is a sweet spot in training - an effort level that yields substantial fitness benefits.  (I've personally found that I respond very well to workouts at this effort level.)

Normally, of course, when I do workouts at that effort level, I don't hold it for more than about 30-35 minutes.  Why?  Not because I don't believe that there are fitness benefits from going longer, but just that there are diminishing returns, while the cost of the workout in terms of recovery time increases.  Note that diminishing returns does NOT mean no additional benefit from the extra duration, but just that the incremental increase in gain as you lengthen the workout is less.

However, at the end of a marathon training cycle, when I'm about to go into a 3 week taper anyway, I've got that time to recover anyway, so why not max out the workout by going the full duration I can hold it for, and then use the taper to absorb the benefits?

Additional to the above, I believe that it is important both to keep your normal workouts very controlled, but also to hit a max level effort (going to the well) at least once a month.  Both for mental callousing and to give your body a bit of a shock.  For that reason, I really like to race all out at least every 4-6 weeks, since I don't believe in hammering workouts.  I could race something shorter at the end of a marathon cycle (and sometimes do, if I can't find a well-timed half).  But I've found that I get the most fitness boost for my buck from racing the 10 mile-half distance - again, most likely because I respond really well to running in that 60-90 minute effort range.

*unlurk*
        Asking as a serious question after reading all the discussion on tempo runs for an hour or so. If you're doing a 60-90 minute race every 5ish weeks in a marathon training cycle at a controlled all out effort how is this different than a scheduled workout? Is it just the frequency of all out effort (monthly vs weekly) that you're benefiting from or is it the combination of time (60-90 minutes) and the frequency (monthly) that makes the additional recovery beneficial? I assume the days after a race you have planned no workouts and all easy running.

*relurking*

EDIT: Good luck jmac! I'd personally wear thin gloves (i LOATHE cold hands) and a thinner long sleeve ( the ORIGINAL arm warmer/fashion statement) in a 32F race with wind. I'd be SLIGHTLY afraid of over heating but it's probably possible to flip up a shirt or roll up your sleeves to cool off depending if/when you think you're getting hot. You could also get some long socks and see if they'll cover your hands and forearms. Plan on tossing them if you get too hot. Cut the ends off if you want your hands free then figure out mid race how to keep your gloves but ditch the socks if it is necessary. This advice is worth what you paid for it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

*unlurk*
          Asking as a serious question after reading all the discussion on tempo runs for an hour or so. If you're doing a 60-90 minute race every 5ish weeks in a marathon training cycle at a controlled all out effort how is this different than a scheduled workout? Is it just the frequency of all out effort (monthly vs weekly) that you're benefiting from or is it the combination of time (60-90 minutes) and the frequency (monthly) that makes the additional recovery beneficial? I assume the days after a race you have planned no workouts and all easy running.

I'm not racing a 60-90 minutes race every 5 weeks in a marathon training cycle - generally just once, at the very end of the marathon cycle.  (I don't like to insert in the middle because of the recovery - I prefer to do it at the end of the cycle so that I can combine the recovery with the marathon taper).

I like to race once as an all out effort every 4 (sometimes gets stretched out to 6) weeks, but those are usually shorter distances, even in a marathon cycle.

Jmac - as some one who a) wears gloves and a sports bra regularly, and b) wears arm-warmers all the time - there is no judgment here.

I like your proposed solution.  I'm going with something similar for my half, which will be slightly warmer but have a decent headwind (forecast of 10 MPH, which means 15 MPH, since we're on the beach)  for the first 3 miles.  I'll pin my bib to my shorts, and then wear a tank top+arm-warmers on top, with a cheap throwaway longsleeve on top that I'll wear for the first 3 miles and then toss.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Good luck to all the racers this weekend:

Sling: Go for it in the 8k!

JMac and Darkwave:  Good luck in your halfs!  PRs for both of you I predict.

Jayluf and Lela: Good luck to you as well... radio silence from both of you for quite a while now...

Fin: Hate to bring up what may be a nauseating memory for you, but what should I list as result for your half? 1:20-something? Alternatively if you want I can delete that entry from the table.

2:52:16 (2018)

The purpose of arm warmers for me is to hold gels.  For a marathon, I take three..one in my shorts pocket and one in each arm warmer.

This is a sign that arm warmers do have a purpose, unlike some people on other sites that think they're just a fashion statement or something.

finbad

Good luck to all racing this weekend.

JMac - arm warmers are fine. If it's good enough for Yuki...

JT - Nah, I'll own that result. 1:22:24. Put me down for <2:45 for Boston too. Thanks.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - Nah, I'll own that result. 1:22:24. Put me down for <2:45 for Boston too. Thanks.

Please make sure to include something about Starbucks in the comments. Thanks.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Please make sure to include something about Starbucks in the comments. Thanks.

Fin: Table is updated, good man for owning the result.

JMac: I can't write much in the comments without buggering up the format of the table. I wish I could just paste a nice table with grid lines in here but it does not seem possible. If anyone has any tricks how to do it please let me know.

2:52:16 (2018)

slingrunner

Good luck Jmac

Big fan of arm warmers here.  I wore one or even two pairs on nearly every run this winter.  Very flexible bit of clothing.  I also get cold hands, and they can be pushed up to go into/instead of gloves too.

Thanks Michael for the gu storage idea as well.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - forgot you were racing this weekend, sorry! Good luck!

This new Olympic Trial issue seems like a complete disaster. It reminds me of the Fedex Cup for golf, or Nascar (I think), where it's not about who actually wins the event, but rather a goofy system of points and other standards.

Running Problem

Problem Child

NASCAR Aja’s points to get into the playoffs then it’s a top 12, 8, final 4 with a winner of the race and a winner of the series. Back in my day it was ‘run whatcha brung’ which is much easier to understand even as a Californian.

DW - forgot you were racing this weekend, sorry! Good luck!

This new Olympic Trial issue seems like a complete disaster. It reminds me of the Fedex Cup for golf, or Nascar (I think), where it's not about who actually wins the event, but rather a goofy system of points and other standards.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yeah as somebody who pays almost no attention to NASCAR, this is why it was a guess.

JT - I just keep a table in Excel and then copy and paste it over. It’s much easier to work in that format then try to make changes in the forum. If you check the Sub 1:30 thread, you’ll see that I’m able to include comments and be okay.

slingrunner

Successful 8K tuneup race today.  30:19 for a 6:06 pace. First 1st place finish for me.  Between the 5K and the 8K there were 700 runners, so I wasn't anticipating a win.

Temperature was mid40s, but there was a 15-20 mph wind.  Since it looked like it was going to be a tailwind for the first half, and the course was downhill starting off as well, my plan was to go out quickly, and be under 6 minutes for the first mile, and go from there.  Right from the start one guy and I separated a bit from everybody else, but when we were even, I noticed he was huffing and puffing as if he was racing for the finish line.  So I knew he was going to be irrelevant.  Didn't know if anybody behind us though might catch us.

Happily surprised when I got to the 1 mile mark in 5:45, but they were good conditions going out.  Looked like I had over a 20 second lead at that point, and I was starting to feel pretty confident in the win.  Got to the turnaround point in something like 14:30 and it looked like I had about a 40 second lead.  Things got a lot tougher after that though.  Immediately you are faced with a nasty 10% hill, with 20mph winds coming directly at you.  Anyway, hung on the best I could, and wound up winning the race by 2 and a half minutes, so I guess I finished relatively strong.  Wasn't feeling 100% either as I was recovering from my cold.  Clown that runs these races makes you stick around forever for the awards though... it was 90 minutes after I crossed the line before they started the 8ks.

Funniest moment was at the one mile mark when a volunteer shoved a Gu packet in my face.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sling - congrats on the win! I stuck around once for awards when I was in third and had the same experience. I'll never bother with that nonsense again unless I have a ton of time to kill. Small town races like waiting until every single person is finished with the race, which can be a longgg time.

Wind probably took some out of you, but it's gonna be tight for sub 3 at Boston.