2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

finbad

I won't be able to make it. I live wicked close to the start of the marathon and will be heading home afterwards.

MMC, since you're a local could you chuck out a couple of recommendations for a decent bar? I guess it somewhat depends on where everyone is staying- I'm in Cambridge but fine with meeting up near the finish.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

M_M_C

Darkwave I'm glad someone caught that.

finbad As for bars I don't know too many out that way, but I hear Lord Hobo in Cambridge is good. If you give me a specific area I can better help you out.

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I need to leave after the race for a work thing in Connecticut, so I won't be able to meet up after. If we're all looking to run something like 1:20-1:21 over the first half of the race, then we should consider running together at the start.

I'm still feeling beat up after my race. My easy run today went fine, but my quads are still sore enough that it hurts going down stairs. I had a penciled in threshold workout for tomorrow if I felt good, but I'm thinking that's not going to happen. I said one of my takeaways from this cycle has been that I just need the mileage, not the workouts (thanks Mikkey), so I'm not as concerned, but will reevaluate during the run tomorrow if I can pick it up for T work or if I should just log all 16 easy.

I did buy some Maurten gels the other day, going to try to practice with them during one of my T workouts. I originally planned not to try them for Boston given I have no MP work left, but testing them out at T pace should do the trick. I don't think I can get down 4 gels an hour like they recommend, but I'd like to try at least moving up one gel in Boston from my current 3 to 4.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

finbad

Thanks MMC, I think near the race finish is likely to be best for everyone so any tips there would be good.

JMac - I know my half was not as much of a race effort as yours but I felt that doing a 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 minute effort session on the Tuesday after really flushed the legs out. Felt bloody awful doing it though. I like those sort of short, varied duration efforts as I basically ignore pace and just do as much as I can, bit less demoralising than running a 6:40 tempo pace mile cos your legs are so trashed.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

MMC, since you're a local could you chuck out a couple of recommendations for a decent bar? I guess it somewhat depends on where everyone is staying- I'm in Cambridge but fine with meeting up near the finish.

FinBad - I usually get an invite the night before but its usually Beerworks on Saturday night. Me personally I take an uber to Local in south Boston where I gorge myself on the lobster roll and sweet potato fries.  I usually gain 10lbs but my BIL moved to NY so I dont get to eat as much. Im staying in Copely Square. So I'm within walking distance to pretty much anything. Last Year I had dinner with Dan, Mike, Andres?? Were you there or we met at Beerworks after dinner. with Stephen, DCV etc.

Tthe Boston Illuminati do their own thing and I'm never iinvited hahaha. They don't find me illuminating.

Darkwave - Good to hear you will have a professional evaluation.  Nothing wrong with 2nd or 3rd opinions when it comes to medical issues.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I bet. Most people I know just don't want to spend that much on shoes

back in 2007 I was too busy saying how stupid it was to pay that much for a shoe.

But when 200 women passed me wearing them in NYCM 2017...

I got a pair the next day from my athlete's mom as a thank you. She wanted to know about her sons race and I spent the whole time of our post race briefing, raving about how many people passed us in the damn shoes.

They should be illegal.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Interesting - I see the difference between a pair of VF's and a pair of Adios Boosts or Streaks as much less than the difference between flats and spikes on a track.

Where I think the VF advantage really comes in is for the heavier runner who always had to go with a heavy shoe for marathoning, due to cushioning needs.  That runner can now run in a super light shoe like the rest of us.

Here's a fun anecdote (the plural of anecdote is not data, of course):

I have a teammate who runs pretty much the exact same times as me when we are both in shape and focused on a specific race.  We don't run together, since I like to run a hard negative split while she likes to go out a bit hot and hang on, but we regularly finish right together.  So....

Sample 1:  In 2017 we both target and race a 10K where she finishes ahead of me by 6 seconds.  We both wear the Adios Boost.

Sample 2: We both target the Houston Half-Marathon in January 2018 - she finishes ahead of me by 2 seconds.  I'm in my new pair of VF4%, she's still in the Adios Boost.

Sample 3: We both race the Richmond Half-Marathon in November 2018 as our final tune-up for CIM.  We're both in the VF 4%.   I finish ahead of her by 5 seconds.

I've found that to be an interesting case study.  Though, again, it's only one data point.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Where I think the VF advantage really comes in is for the heavier runner who always had to go with a heavy shoe for marathoning, due to cushioning needs.  That runner can now run in a super light shoe like the rest of us.

At 165 lbs I'm on the heavy side for a marathoner, and this upcoming race will be my first in the VFs. I ran my first several in trainers, and the last couple in Asics DS racer 11s, a much lighter shoe. I wear inserts (Dr. Scholls) in the DS racers; without those they don't have enough cushioning for me. With the VFs, I don't need to add these inserts as there is already so much cushioning.

I was curious about the relative weights of all my shoes (size 13) and just weighed them:

VFs: 239 g (8.4 oz)

DS racers w/ Dr. Scholls: 298 g (10.5 oz)

DS racers w/ regular inserts: 242 g (8.5 oz)

Reebok Floatride: 125 g (4.4 oz)

Saucony Guide: 393 g (13.9 oz)

The DS racers with regular inserts are basically the same weight as the VFs, but adding the Dr. Scholls bumps them up quite a bit (56 g). Both are significantly lighter than my trainers (the Guides). They are all heavy compared to the Floatride. That is a shoe I would love to be able to race a marathon in, but I think it would be too risky, at least for a runner as heavy as me. A friend of mine is leaning towards wearing the Floatride for Boston (either that or the VF). It will be interesting to hear how that goes if he does wear it. He is on the small side though.

2:52:16 (2018)

M_M_C

Ran my first the in the DS trainer.

If you scroll towards to bottom of the following article, the is a graph titled "Estimated change in race time, compared with a previous result, when switching shoes" https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/07/18/upshot/nike-vaporfly-shoe-strava.html. This graph influenced me intobuying the DS

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

Ran my first the in the DS trainer.

If you scroll towards to bottom of the following article, the is a graph titled "Estimated change in race time, compared with a previous result, when switching shoes" https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/07/18/upshot/nike-vaporfly-shoe-strava.html. This graph influenced me intobuying the DS

IMO, Tadese got screwed when he lost his WR 1/2M (which stood for 8 yrs).   Kiptum (wearing VFs) ran 5sec faster.

weatherboy80

JT: Very similar as I'm usually at or just above 170 lbs when I run or race.  Being 6' 3" doesn't help either Smile  I've actually never even tried a newer generation Nike shoe.  Would be curious to give them a try at some point though.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

finbad

FinBad - I usually get an invite the night before but its usually Beerworks on Saturday night. Me personally I take an uber to Local in south Boston where I gorge myself on the lobster roll and sweet potato fries.  I usually gain 10lbs but my BIL moved to NY so I dont get to eat as much. Im staying in Copely Square. So I'm within walking distance to pretty much anything. Last Year I had dinner with Dan, Mike, Andres?? Were you there or we met at Beerworks after dinner. with Stephen, DCV etc.

I definitely like the sound of the lobster roll. I met Dan and Patrick once (NYC marathon in 2015), that's the only other time I've run in America.

Weatherboy - 6' 3". Ha, this is perfect! We can share turns and you can crouch down trying to find shelter behind me (5' 4").

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Weatherboy - 6' 3". Ha, this is perfect! We can share turns and you can crouch down trying to find shelter behind me (5' 4").

I'm 5'4" as well.  At the Philly Love Run last year, it was fairly windy.  And wouldn't you know it, I ended up with a pack of larger guys tucking in behind me.  I wanted to ask "what's the point"?

Nearly the whole last row of these pictures consists of big guys drafting off of me.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ran into the lack of drafting a lot in my half this past weekend. I kept finding myself behind guys that were a few inches shorter, and it really made no difference.

As someone who is 5'9, I think it's pretty obvious that Weather will be the lead guy for us, with me following and Fin right behind.

I've recovered very well from the half and even put in a workout last night. It does make me wonder if a 3 week taper is too much for me, given I was able to run well in the half with a 17 and 21 mile run within 7 days of it, and that I've recovered enough from the race to start doing workouts again. Last year, after getting sick in my final week, I only went with a 2 week taper and it worked. Something to think about for me.

Of course, entering taper time means only one thing for me: what injury will appear this year??? Last year, it was metatarsalgia with 10 days to go, and two years ago it was the phantom stress fracture a doctor diagnosed me with 2 days before the race.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

M_M_C

Serious question, not a troll post. Are any other guys in here going to be racing Boston with freshly shaven legs?