2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

slingrunner

Looks like JMac spent the whole week in the deadzone.  Smart money is moving him down in the Boston rankings.

Running is starting to get a bit more difficult here, as I'm moving this weekend, and lots of work in prepping my house for sale while I'm still living in here.  Last week I just missed a recovery run, and finished up with 64.  Pfitz has me running a 8-10k this weekend which I'm not.  I could do a tempo run... I'm wondering if a more intense hill workout is advised, or is it close to Boston?

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

finbad

It's a good question Sling, I'm never too sure about this. I always feel like I get a nice rebound fitness boost a couple of weeks after a tough hill session so it's almost tempting to go out and deliberately get some DOMS as race build-up. On the other hand if you say that out loud it just sounds mental and everyone wrings their hands talking about injury risk and hay being in the barn.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think you're okay 15-16 days out doing a hill workout. You shouldn't be doing a "peak" hill workout, i.e. it shouldn't be harder than anything you've done throughout the cycle. Hard to define exactly what that is because everybody does hills differently.

Also, never too soon to talk about the DZ. We must never forget.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Coach Mikkey that was quite the week you had (not sarcasm)! You ever considered doubling? I think you’d feel a lot better and would decrease your chance of injury if you broke up some of those bigger mileage days that weren’t long runs.

Thanks yeah it would make more sense to double when running more than 80mpw, but it’s just personal preference...I don’t like or want to run twice a day and I enjoy long runs,

Jmac - Yes I finally managed a decent week with 7 days of running! The run I did in the Vaporflys was a nice confidence booster, especially as I had no weird aches the day after and will definitely race in them. I’m probably going to use Brighton as my last long run at an easy 8 pace and then start tapering for London. It’s too early to decide on a goal time as I’ve still got 5 week left.

DW - Waaaay too early to mention the DZ.  Let’s leave it until the summer.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

MMC - Just went on a business trip myself this past week. I had to skip out on some of the nighttime "activities" so that I could get up at 5:30 to run.

Wait....isn't running a nighttime activity? A "morning run" should start within 20 minutes of the East Coast (anything east of the Missouri River) Major Marathons.

asu I'll just say the times for Boston were adjusted to accomidate for that 5 minutes you had to beat your BQ by. I'm HOPING (3:05 qualifying time) I don't have to run a sub 3 to get into 2020. Maybe a minute, but with no proof or logic other than "it's my old BQ-6 minutes." If you can't justify $250 shoes try the Zoom Flys. They're for us poor folks. As for getting days off you might want the Jack Daniels 2Q plan. He gives you two workouts a week to do, you pick your weekly goal mileage and it's up to you to get everything done. I'd throw in some 5+ mile threshold runs with that Thursday speed work. Mix it up a little. Work on the different gears you have.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Fin: Huge long run last weekend. I'm struggling to figure out what the finishing order will be among you, JMac, and Weather; it will be a great one to follow.

Weather: Uncle Jack would give you an A+ for this cycle; you are finishing it off strong. Great job on the 5k; now sub 17 min is routine for you!

JMac: Speaking of sub 17... given your big half PR you should be capable of a sub 17 5k, easily. Maybe after Boston you can take care of that. Nice week and long run.

My wife has a cold as of yesterday. That and a combination of feeling a bit worn out, and a lot going on at work, and I decided to can a hard workout today and just run easy. Isn't all the hay in the barn 19 days out anyway? 

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

HAY IS IN THE BARN, HAY IS IN THE BARN

JT - Always need to remind myself of that, I'm getting antsy to get out there and try something crazy this week. I'm going to focus on 5k/10K this summer, mainly because I need a break from marathon training but also because I really want to work on top end speed as part of my "base" building before CIM. Even something as small as strides has made a big difference for me lately, so I want to really work on reps at mile pace. As you know, never know what kind of weather you will get for these races in the tri-state area in July/August, but we shall see.

Mikkey - I would love to run London. Damn Brits need to be more friendly to their former colonies and let us run! I want to run a flat course, I guess I'll have to look to Berlin at some point.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

Agree that the hay is mostly in the barn Smile  This is probably really the last week for any additional fitness gains, but the down side is not really worth the potential tiny upside.

JMac:  think you could be looking at something well into the mid 16’s based on your recent half!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - I would love to run London. Damn Brits need to be more friendly to their former colonies and let us run! I want to run a flat course, I guess I'll have to look to Berlin at some point.

Well I gave my bib to an American last year...so my conscience is clear. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

TheRunningStreak

Hey guys I hope your day is going beautifully well and if not i hope it gets better. I have started a YouTube Channel for running, I'm a high schooler I plan on posting 1-3 times a week at least twice, I love running. And I'm a distance and sort of becoming a mid distance runner as well, so come check it out tomorrow I'm posting an 800m and post upper body work out vid. Anyway have an awesome day

My link to the channel second video

https://youtu.be/NcmcJfLEsGg

darkwave

Mother of Cats

So....spammers here, and trolls elsewhere (see the 6+ hour marathon thread).

My friends, the RA fora have gone big time!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

M_M_C

eric Smile needs to bust out the ban hammer and deliver some swift justice

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW: I always enjoy your vernacular

Fin/Weather: have you guys determined what your goal pace is yet, assuming "average" conditions, i.e. upper 40s and low 50s throughout the race? I don't try to hit goal pace during my races, but I do set a hard cap at pace where I tell myself I need to slow down. For me, I think that's going to be 6:00, as that is sub 2:40 pace and there is absolutely no reason to be going faster than that. If I hit any miles faster than 6:00, I'm going to intentionally try to slow down. I always start marathons slow so I think that applies even in mile 1 with the huge downhill. It may be hard to control that during miles 2-4 though.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

[Unlurk] Well done. [lurk]

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

finbad

It's all going to depend on the conditions I think. I feel like my fitness has bumped up a wee bit again over the last couple of weeks so I'm probably in 2:40 shape. I'm nearly 40 and can't really count on getting into this sort of shape again so if the conditions are favourable I'll probably go out for a <2:40.

If that's the goal I think some miles will need to be in the 5:50's to compensate for the hills (I'd expect mile 21 to be in the 6:20's). I also like to build into a marathon just for the psychological benefit of coming round people but think that for <2:40 half way will need to be just under 1:19.

I'd like to hear thoughts on this from those that have done it before.

Thanks for provoking me into putting this out there, feels like I need to admit it's a possible goal and start getting my head around it. Think I'm going to race the 10 miler this weekend so the first objective will be to hit a time that translates to 2:40 there

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k