2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

finbad

MMC- 10 mile race for me. Mine is totally flat though, couple of laps around a wee loch. 

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

weatherboy80

Good luck folks!!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also jumping in with the good luck wishes!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

finbad

Don't know if any of you are watching the world cross country from Denmark, this course looks super tough

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

M_M_C

54:46.2, ran soft and scared. I forgot how to push myself. Had a decent finish but got way to complacent in the middle. On to Boston

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

54:46.2, ran soft and scared. I forgot how to push myself. Had a decent finish but got way to complacent in the middle. On to Boston

FWIW, that race didn't matter - the one in two weeks does.  It's not unheard of for tune-up races to be total stinkers, and it means nothing.

(I actually knew someone who, a few years ago, ran 92 or 93 for a half-marathon - just had an awful race for her (PR of around 82 back then).  Three weeks later she went sub-3 for the first time Smile

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

MMC: That's still a great time on a tough course. I agree with Darkwave; Boston is your main priority so don't worry about this one.

Mikkey had a race that I would list as one of the top performances of the year so far with a sub 18 5k. Pretty damn good to set your 5k PR at 53 years old!  Age grading was through the roof. Great job Mikkey!  You must feel good about the prospects at London after that.

I had a decent, not stellar, 10k today of 37:52. It is my old-age PR so that was good. A hill in the 6th mile kicked my ass like it always does on this course but I was able to pick it up at the end a bit. I was torn on whether to wear the VFs or the Floatrides and opted for the latter, since I have done almost all my speedwork in those this cycle. Not sure they are great for the road; I think I will stick to using them solely for track workouts/races. I assume I would have been in the 34-35 min range had I worn the VFs 

2:52:16 (2018)

M_M_C

Very true. I’m not worried about the fitness more so getting complacent. Looked at my heart rate data and the last 3 miles or so went from ~175 bpm to ~160 bpm, gotta make it hurt. The big win of the race was not losing to my GF

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

MMC - It's not like you ran a terrible time, I think you're perfectly fine for Boston. Also, your GF is fast! Did you guys meet on a track team?

Mikkey - Congrats! You've been playing the "I'm not in shape" card this entire cycle which is why you've disappeared. I don't think that's true. I expect big things in London. 2:53 will be damn tight, but sub 3:00 is definitely there.

JT - Nice 10K. That's interesting what you said about the Floatride. I'm in the market right now for new 5K/10K shoes and have been peaking at them. I do want to try the Nike LT 4s though, people seem to rave about them for the distance. I know you were joking, but the VF is iffy for the 10K, although it's on the border. I would never wear them for a 5K, I feel like I would be way too unstable at those speeds.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

M_M_C

JMac Yes we did. She was the 7th woman running 57:57 despite walking twice with “chest pain”. I was exaggerating the beating me, but it was a thought that went though my mind a few times. Also fun fact her teammate and the person I worked out with last weekend competed at XC Worlds for New Zealand today.

MMC - It's not like you ran a terrible time, I think you're perfectly fine for Boston. Also, your GF is fast! Did you guys meet on a track team?

Coach Mikkey well done

JT I had never even heard of floatrides before you mentioned them. Looks like they could be good, but they’re Reebok

Also no one wearing vapor fly 4% passed me today, at least that I saw. Lots of New Balance, but I guess that’s to be expected since it drew a lot of Greater Boston Area competitors.

Question: Is it acceptable to wear the 2019 Boston Marathon jackets, or any marathon jacket, before completing the race? I saw a lot of people at the race today wearing them. Seems weird considering the race hasn’t happened yet

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Question: Is it acceptable to wear the 2019 Boston Marathon jackets, or any marathon jacket, before completing the race? I saw a lot of people at the race today wearing them. Seems weird considering the race hasn’t happened yet

There are people that will insist on all sorts of Boston etiquette - I've been told by more than one person that it is absolutely unacceptable for me to wear the t-shirt from the race if I didn't run it that year.  I'm sure there's someone somewhere that will say you can't wear it until you complete the race.

IMHO, eff them.  You bought the jacket, you wear it whenever the heck you want.  I'm planning on grabbing my t-shirt this year, and I'm absolutely going to wear it (unless it's ugly).  Some of my favorite race t-shirts are from races I didn't run.

Mikkey - outstanding!!!!  So I've got another 8 years to set PRs, right?

JT - nice job on killing the ages-old PR.  That had to feel good.

Floatrides vs. Vaporfly - I have both.   I agree that new VFs are best from 10 miles up; I've raced several 5Ks in them, and never come close to my PR (set in the Takumi Sen).  However, as I think I've noted before, as the VF gets more broken down, it loses both bounce and instability, and actually works much better as a shorter distance shoe, though I still wouldn't race a mile in them.

I've done two workouts in the Floatrides - both on the track.  I love the grip and the bounce, but I feel they're too flexible for me - I really like a stiff shoe - hence my preference for the Takumi Sen, the Adios Boost 2, and the VF.  The Floatrides also require that I get up on my forefoot to get the most out of them, while I'm most comfortable with a midfoot strike.  So I like the shoe, but I haven't yet figured out what it's useful for.  Maybe racing on the track, if I ever do that again.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - I'm so mad at myself. The takumi sen is back on sale at running warehouse and I hemmed and hawed about whether I wanted another pair (I run in them now). When I decided to pull the trigger, they were sold out of only one size: 10.5, which is my size! Somebody must have just bought all the pairs, because every other size has 4+. I am, however, going to Tokyo in May so I may be on the lookout for new shoes.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - outstanding!!!!  So I've got another 8 years to set PRs, right?

Thanks! And definitely if you’ve got a soft 5k PR!  My old PR was on a hillier Parkrun from 2010 and my last PR (marathon) was in 2013. My wife couldn’t believe that I came back with a smile on my face yesterday as I normally come back from races moaning and threatening to quit running forever. I think I’m going to shoot for a Sub 2:53 Moose Mug as I’ve got nothing to lose!

JT - Great 10k and I think the VFs will give you that extra boost to get under 2:50. 👍

MMC - Congrats, that’s still a great time! (I can’t remember what your goal is for Boston)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

M_M_C

Awesome race Fin!

madisonrunner

Nice races!

MMC - what's your marathon goal?  That 15k equates to mid 2:40s (based on Daniels' VDOT).  That's not really close to what you are capable of based on shorter distance PRs but it would still be a huge PR for the marathon and a great stepping stone to try to go 2:30s for the next cycle.

The Boston commentary is interesting.  I think y'all need to remember that Boston is a super fast course.  The last time there was JMac's guaranteed perfect weather at Boston (2011) the winning time was the fastest marathon ever run at the time.  This was run by someone who was A) not Kipchoge and B) not being paced (if I recall correctly Ryan Hall acted as the de facto pacer for that race).  With perfect weather  (tailwind) for someone around 2:40-3:00 it's probably 1-2 minutes faster than other courses.  With good weather (i.e. 40s and not a headwind) it's as fast or faster than a race like CIM.  In terms of pacing, if you really are in 2:39:59 shape I would go out in 1:19:00.  It's going to feel extremely easy/slow.  If it doesn't feel easy/slow then you aren't in 2:39:59 shape and are going too fast.  For most courses I'd say a 30s positive split is ideal but for Boston with how fast the first 15 miles are a ~2 minute positive split is probably better.

I'm a week away from my marathon and am feeling good about it.  This past week was 62 miles including the last VO2 max workout (3x1 miles at 5:08, 5:06, 5:02).  The weather looks to be excellent - 40 degrees and <10 MPH winds.  I've narrowed my goal to sub 2:34.  That's based on doing LAT, VO2max, long runs, MP workouts and my 5k race at a 65 VDOT which equates to a 2:32:30 marathon.  I plan to go through halfway in 1:16 to 1:17 and come back in the same.