2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

M_M_C

Is that true? I would assume a marathon like that has chip timing

JMac: I have been thinking she should be running 2:45 or better for the last 3 years. I hope she gets the OTQ this year. Not sure about Boston; she said they go by gun time there??  But maybe at a fall marathon.

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Is that true? I would assume a marathon like that has chip timing

OTQ is only done by gun time.  That's why, if you're trying for an OTQ, you need to start at the front.  (same with open or masters prize $)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

M_M_C

Makes sense, I initially misunderstood what was being said.

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

JMac: Hope you kick that cold quickly. Take it easy and rest.

Weather: A 2-mile race sounds like a good sharpener at about 8-9 days out.

So the runner I mentioned a while ago that kills multiple hard workouts/week and runs all easy runs 7:00-7:25 range just did this workout today: 16 miles as 2 easy, 8 @ 6:23, 2 easy, 4 @ 6:19. The "easy" miles were in the 7:03-7:20 range. This seems like overkill this close to the race (she is running Boston). And she did a hard workout Monday, 2 x 2mi + 2 x 1mi, 5:40-5:55 pace. Will be very interesting what she does at Boston.

One possible explanation that seems to happen a fair bit in social media - some runners pause their watches repeatedly during runs, and then don't include the rest breaks in their reported workouts.    Not sure if that's the case here.  But....that would be a decently hard workout for someone going for an OTQ, but not within 10 days of the bleepin race....

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - since I know you like arm warmers, where do you get yours from? I can't really seem to find any. Running Warehouse said they're out because it's not a seasonal item since summer is coming.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

One possible explanation that seems to happen a fair bit in social media - some runners pause their watches repeatedly during runs, and then don't include the rest breaks in their reported workouts.    Not sure if that's the case here.  But....that would be a decently hard workout for someone going for an OTQ, but not within 10 days of the bleepin race....

It's funny you mention that DW, because one thing I am always amazed at is that she almost never pauses her watch. At least on Strava, moving time and elapsed time are always the same. Not sure if it is possible to pause and have it not show in the elapsed time.

2:52:16 (2018)

slingrunner

DW - since I know you like arm warmers, where do you get yours from? I can't really seem to find any. Running Warehouse said they're out because it's not a seasonal item since summer is coming.

Have you tried Amazon?  That's where I've gotten mine.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It's funny you mention that DW, because one thing I am always amazed at is that she almost never pauses her watch. At least on Strava, moving time and elapsed time are always the same. Not sure if it is possible to pause and have it not show in the elapsed time.

Hah!  Well there goes that theory.  Though, if you really really care about these things, it is possible to edit your Strava.  But I sense that's not what is going on here.

Arm-warmers - I bought mine at an expo.  Roadrunner Sports seems to have some (full disclosure - they sponsor my team).  Other options would be a cycling store, Amazon (as noted), or do the old school thing of buying tube socks and cutting off the feet.

weatherboy80

I also picked up a pair of arm warmers at the Boston expo last year.  Not sure how much they helped as everything was just soaked.  Being in Florida think I have wore them once since that epic day.

Another question.  How does everyone normally carry thier gels or whatever else you plan on taking?    I think I have had 4-5 in my shorts before and it worked out okay, but I noticed quite a bit of flopping around for most of the run.  Was annoying, but I got over it.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Another question.  How does everyone normally carry thier gels or whatever else you plan on taking?    I think I have had 4-5 in my shorts before and it worked out okay, but I noticed quite a bit of flopping around for most of the run.  Was annoying, but I got over it.

I've used the same strategy of putting them in my pockets so far, and have had the same annoyance with them flopping around. I got a special fanny-pack type thing meant for carrying them but found it was even more annoying and have not used it in a race. I think I will try to put at least some of them in my waistband this time, at least this way they won't be bouncing around.

2:52:16 (2018)

Andres1045

I hate carrying gels. Because of that, I never carry them on training runs (which is probably why they suck so bad in a race).  But I've found that the patagonia running shorts are the best for carrying gels. They don't flop around at all. You notice them, but not nearly as bad as in other shorts. They have different sizes beyond the 5", I think.

(Patagonia Men's Strider Pro Running Shorts - 5")

Upcoming races: Boston

weatherboy80

Same - I have carried 1-2 during training runs but should probably try more of them to get used to it.  Maybe I can do a few trials over the next week.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I always go with the 3" shorts for race day, need to show off this incredibly white thighs.

Weather - Was going to ask this group the same exact thing a couple of days ago, especially because Dwave said she uses something like 8 gels in a race! I do think women carry some in their sports bras which helps a lot. Other ideas I've heard are inside of gloves, arm warmers, or pinning them to your shorts. I do like the pinning idea, but have heard that you can get bad chafing, so it's not something I probably want to try for the first time on race day.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Safety pin to outside of shorts; fold in.  I can carry 12 this way, and I'm pretty sure I'm one of the smallest people in this group.

(good idea to body glide your waist/hips)

Swim5599

I worked part time at a running shoe store one year and saved up an endless supply of hand held water bottles.  I carry 3 in that, then toss it and have 3 in my pockets

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04