2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

JT - How's your taper going?

Gels - I had originally planned on taking 4 gels at 5, 10, 15, 20. But I realized taking a gel at mile 20 is going to be impossible or lead to horrible consequences at Boston with the Newton hills. So I've edited it to take my last gel at mile 18, with other gels at 3, 8, and 13. I just don't see my stomach recovering from mile 20 such that I could try to squeeze one in later than that.

JMac:  Overall taper is going well. I'm amazed I did not get my wife's cold, so am happy about that. Been feeling a bit guilty seeing many here and on strava doing all kinds of hard workouts this week but I know that's not a good recipe for me. I may put in a couple of fast miles tomorrow, then run my last longish run Sunday, probably 14 miles, easy pace.

I hope you can get over your cold. I got one last October at the same time before my marathon and manged to pretty much kick it before the race. Just tons of vitamin C and water, and sleeping as much as possible.

I'm currently thinking of carrying 4 Maurten gels, and also 2 caffeinated GUs. It will be a lot of ballast to carry at first but hopefully will be worth it. Shit, starting to get nervous already just thinking about this!

2:52:16 (2018)

M_M_C

ANyone going to be at the Expo Saturday?

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

slingrunner

So for those of us that like to focus on the weather, is there a preferred forum or site to discuss it/over analyze it for Boston?

Did my final vo2 max for Boston tonight, 3x 1 mile@5k pace.  It was a treadmill run, and my first speed workout in my new house, in a garage with an unknown at the moment downhill slope.  I believe this same workout led to me metatarsal issues before my last marathon (I also was too sick to complete it),   In a way that gives me more confidence heading into Boston as I don't think I was at full strength in my last marathon.

Otherwise it's really stressful here.  Been working 12-14 hour days or so as I prep. my old house to put on the market.  I'm getting my runs in, but I've been doing poorly with stretching and foam rolling, and I'm not getting enough sleep or eating well.  I think there will be some relief by the middle of next week, so hopefully I'll get some rest in near the end.  Anybody else planning to be dropped off at the start of Boston?

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

finbad

ANyone going to be at the Expo Saturday?

Yeah, I think I'm going to do it then

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So for those of us that like to focus on the weather, is there a preferred forum or site to discuss it/over analyze it for Boston?

Weatherboy is a weather pro (which is why he’s called Weatherboy) and that means you don’t need to look at other forums/sites...you just wait for his updates.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Yeah, I think I'm going to do it then

I'll be at the expo as well on Saturday (I'm doing the 5K Saturday morning, then hitting the expo, then flying out Saturday night at 6 pm.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Looks like Madison is running well: through 25 miles in 2:28:53, 5:58 pace

He went through the half in 1:17:32, 5:55 pace

Milwaukee is a hilly course; looks pretty tough from 10-18 miles

Milwaukee Marathon Elevation Chart

Finished in 2:35:48, PR by >1.5 minutes!  Great job Madison!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - nice tracking

Madison - way to kick off the spring season! Congrats! That’s some perfect pacing right there.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

Congrats Madison!

Ugh, have my 2 mile race this evening and it is 86 degrees right now 😕

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Excellent job Madison!  Creating good vibes for all of us.

Weatherboy  - good luck!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

madisonrunner

2:35:49 - First 2019 marathon PR for the board!  JT (thanks for figuring out how to track me) and Boston folks - keep it rolling next weekend.  Long race report below.

Milwaukee Marathon - 2:35:49 (5th place)

I was concerned about the logistics of this race for several reasons:
                            1. The race had been held 2 previous years (in the Fall). One time it was short, another time it was long. A new company bought the rights to it and moved it to the Spring.
                            2. USATF sent an email out alerting members that as of ~2 weeks before the race the course had not been certified. They had contacted the company and the response was they may not certify the course.
                            3. I had emailed to confirm an elite bib (so I could start at the front) and had not heard back.
                            4. Aid stations had nuun (no carbs) and just 2 stations handing out gels (honey stingers). I knew I'd have to provide my own nutrition.

It ended up being probably the best operated race I have been involved in. The certification number went up on the website a few days before the race. I was able to park right next to the start/finish (at the Fiserv Forum, the new Bucks arena). I picked up my bib race morning and had the elite bib so could start at the front. There were plenty of port-a-potties. The course was run entirely on closed roads (no sharing with cars) and was extremely well-marked with cones. They had large digital clocks at every mile and based on my watch they were accurately placed in all cases (mile 24 or 25 was having technical problems but every other mile was working). My only real concern with it was the aid stations. Only having nuun and not using paper cups was a problem

I followed the same prep as previous races. I cut my hair/toenails on Thursday. On Saturday I ate a lot of rice around 2pm and 17oz of gatorade, a banana, and a small amount of pasta for the rest of the night.

I woke at 4:15 (I did not sleep well - fell asleep right away around 10 but woke up at 11:45 to pee and felt like I did not fall back asleep until around 2:00). I drank my beet juice, pooped, did my short shake-out run (super foggy) before heading to the race. Around 6:30 (race started at 7:00) I took 200mg caffeine, 2 acetaminophen pills, and a hotshot. 10 minutes before the race start I ate a caffeinated gel. I started with 17 oz of Maurten (320 cals, with 6 scoops of endurolytes powder in it) with a hotshot taped to the bottom of the bottle, 2 Maurten gels (tucked into shorts waistband), 6 electrolyte pills, 2 acetaminophen pills, 1 caffeine pill.

Weather was just about perfect. It was 40s with little wind. It was very humid so not a crisp 40 but still almost perfect.

Right before the gun went off I turned to find a high school classmate of mine at the front too. He was doing the half and we basically see-sawed back and forth for the first ~10 miles while the half and full were together.

My plan was to run ~5:50 pace with a goal of sub 2:34. I was not familiar with the course but from studying it I knew there was one very big uphill at 3.5 (back side of the enormous downhill around mile 23 at Lakefront) and a big downhill around 7 (same big downhill as Lakefront). Miles 10-18 are gradually uphill. The last 2 miles are significantly downhill. Having now run the course it is certainly harder than Lakefront (maybe by a minute or so) due to the hills.

The first 3 flat miles were all around 5:50 and I was feeling good. I made it up the big hill in mile 4 without issue (surprisingly running that mile in under 6:00). As I ran miles ~6-9 (down the hill by the lake) the wind was surprisingly strong. I had expected to pick up any time I lost in mile 3 here but my comfortably hard marathon pace was only around 6:00.

Just after 10 the half marathoners did a u-turn. At this point I was completely alone. I could see about a half mile down the road and there were no marathoners. I couldn't hear anyone behind me though folks on the course/aid stations cheered for two of us so I knew there was someone fairly close. I kept focusing on making it to 18 (when the uphill is done) and then to 20 (end of the final out and back section). I was pushing hard the last 6 miles but going South was tough with the wind. For the last 2 downhill miles I was pleased to be able to have my two fastest miles and to duck under 2:36.

At 16 I got passed which I think was a good thing. It helped me focus a bit - running by yourself at race pace is tough. The guy who passed me really picked it up. We each passed 2 guys by mile 20 and the guy that passed me at 16 actually passed 3rd place in the last 2 miles. The times of people 2-5 (I was fifth) were all very close but 2 and 4 faded while 3rd and I were gaining. 1st was way ahead the whole time.

I had most of my Maurten bottle gone by 12 and finally finished it at 17. After 17 I did try to take nuun at a couple aid stations but didn't get very much (they used plastic cups which just cracked when you squeezed them and they only filled them with about 1 oz of nuun). I took electrolyte pills at ~4, ~8, ~12 and I took a caffeine pill around 15. I tried to take another electrolyte pill around 16 as well but I must have fumbled them out as I didn't have any left.

I think I was smart to not force running 5:50. I ran what felt like marathon pace and ran pretty even splits. Overall I'm very pleased with this effort. To set a marathon PR in marathon #41 at age 38 is awesome. I still feel like I can go faster too.

Official Splits:
                            5 - 29:19 (5:52 pace)
                            10 - 59:13 (29:54, 5:59 pace for this segment)
                            15 - 1:29:18 (30:05, 6:01 pace for this segment)
                            20 - 1:59:18 (30:00, 6:00 pace for this segment)
                            25 - 2:28:53 (29:35, 5:55 pace for this segment)
                            Finish - 2:35:49 (average pace of 5:57)

First Half - 1:17:32
                            Second Half - 1:18:17 (positive split by 45s)

7 straight years sub 2:45
                            10 straight years sub 3:00

slingrunner

Great race Madison, and excellent PR.  Sounds like you did everything right.  Wow, what an incredible pace you were able to hold the whole time.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

finbad

So good madison! You've got these things dialled in now. Do you feel like you have an idea of where you can get to with consistent training? It's great to see results like this on this board, well done.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k