2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Andres1045

Upcoming races: Boston

weatherboy80

And just like some of this morning's computer models track the low a bit further west pulling in southerly flow just above the surface giving us warmer temps, still lots of rain, but weakening the headwinds quite a bit.  I'm sure they will waffle back and forth, but it just goes to show how much spread in solutions are out there at t+6 days!   I think being prepared for the waiting in athletes village is the key!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I like this rain suit. I was going to use my NYC Poncho, but I'm not sure that's the best plan when it's actually raining (probably works better for cold and wind. It's not going to keep anything dry below my stomach, which seems silly. Gotta love Amazon Prime!

Weather I hope that keeps up, warmer temps would be great. It also looks like the weather is moving more towards Sunday. Let's keep both these trends up!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Yup. I have to agree with that. My guess is that it will be the opposite though: that technology or similar will be standard in all high end race shoes. I waited for two plus years for them (as in the people that decide shoes are illegal) to say that they are illegal. I finally gave in.

Andres Hey I'm kidding. (sarcasm)  I love them. I own 8 pairs. If they're illegal all my times from last year are gone

JMAC you may have Reynauds disease like me and a billion others.

Raynaud's disease is a rare disorder of the blood vessels, usually in the fingers and toes. It causes the blood vessels to narrow when you are cold or feeling stressed. When this happens, blood can't get to the surface of the skin and the affected areas turn white and blue.    Hence why I don't run Central Park races, in the cold my toes freeze waiting for the start.

The solution my friend is not gloves but mitts. When you have Reynauds, it helps to keep the lil piggies together as they create more warmth sometimes in extreme cold I shove the thumb and they all hang out and laugh at me in their warm interior. Last year in Iceland I bought two pair of Icelandic mitts. I bought one as a gift ,ended up keeping it as I lost my Brooks Mitt at a black sand beach.  When I got back I also bought Craft mitts state, side all my gloves are mitt versions for the most part.

Craft Touring Mittens

Adidas Mitt with utility finger

Saucony Rain Shield

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

xhristopher

Currently looking on Wunderground. So glad they publish the forecast ahead of time so we can plan. I see the wind will shift more toward the west between 11 and 12 next Monday. Should I move back a corral to take advantage of this clear advantage? These are important details!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks Nimmals! I have never trained in the winter before for a marathon, so I had never been outside in these kind of temps running for more than an hour or so, but after this year, I actually self-diagnosed myself with Raynaud's. There were days that weren't even that cold, low 40s, where I would wear gloves but my fingertips would be white after the run from being so frozen. My forearms too are susceptible to this, where my core body can be sweating but my forearms are frozen. They're actually one of the biggest concerns I have in cold rain: if they start getting cold, it feels like someone is stabbing me with each drop that hits my wrists. It's also getting worse as I get older in general life, which seems to be a common thing with Raynaud's. I'm definitely going to be one of those guys in his 70s who is wearing sweaters when it's 80 degrees outside.

It's a little too late for me now (every site I searched for small mittens was sold out, I have small hands), but I'm switching over to all mittens next winter when the new stock comes in. I do also worry about the whole taking gels in when cold when using mittens given the lack of dexterity.

I really hope these lobster fisherman gloves work! I'm probably going to throw some hand warmers in there too if it's really raining/windy, even though they may not work perfectly.

xhristopher - I wouldn't be planning on a wind shift direction 6 days out over a 3 hour race. The only possible smart thing to do, which DW alluded to, was starting a few corrals back in order to get more support from a wind blocking perspective. As someone who hates running in groups, I'm going to be trying to control my instincts to run my own pace the entire race and instead learn to let bigger groups do the work (by bigger, I mean taller, and by taller, I mean weatherboy )

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

Well if some of the recent modeling trends continue we may have a tailwind for a good part of the race!  Really depends on the track of this low: if it goes further west (like this afternoon's run(s) were showing) we then get into the warm sector (even potential for temps into the 60's) with south or southwesterly winds, but if it tracks offshore like yesterday's run(s) were showing we get a cold northeast wind the entire way.  Could be a case where we need a poncho at the beginning and we are back to our normal rainy race gear with a tailwind Smile  Still I wouldn't want to bet on either solution until we get to another day or so of consistency.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

finbad

Currently looking on Wunderground. So glad they publish the forecast ahead of time so we can plan. I see the wind will shift more toward the west between 11 and 12 next Monday. Should I move back a corral to take advantage of this clear advantage? These are important details!

Certainly. Take your portable weather vane and dont cross the start mats until it is favourable.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

slingrunner

As another person with Reynauds, I've found multiple layers of arm warmers to be helpful (ducking hands completely inside them.  They work well inside mittens too.

I've never had to take a pee break during a marathon, but these wet conditions seem like they could be conducive too it as Jayluf mentioned. I ran a 50 mile trail race in the 50s in moderate/heavy rain, and I probably wound up taking about 15 pee "breaks".  I wound up getting pretty good at peeing without stopping (it was fairly secluded).

I'm a runner that is getting dropped off.  Is there a reason I can't show up pretty last minute to avoid this mess waiting around?

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Pretty cool having a real meteorologist giving the inside scoop. I will definitely take mid to upper 50s, rain, and a tailwind. Amazing that it’s either that, or low 40s with a headwind. Looks like a feast or famine marathon, jeez. Either way, I ordered the rain suit poncho plus those shoe covers, so I’m ready to go.

steve_