2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

As both a nerd and someone running this race, I approve of all of your weather updates . I really hope it's the warm one, low 60s is warm but with rain is perfect conditions. I ran my first marathon in that type of weather and I was so comfortable the entire race. What will be difficult is if that wind shifts directions mid race. Low 50s with rain and a headwind is such in between conditions that I can't decide what to wear!

Regarding your run, that's a great sign! I am justttt starting to turn the corner. My 3x1 didn't feel perfect last night like I was ready to eat steel (I had some odd soreness in my quad from my EZ+Strides run the day before), but I was at least ready to start eating carbon. I think you can only really tell on that final 3 mile run the day before the race. Usually that's when I feel perfect.

Let's not forget about JT kicking it off for us. Good luck this weekend!!! Go get that sub 2:50.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

So if we have temps in the 40's with a headwind and rain anyone thinking of wearing a base layer on top.  This looks a good 5-10 degrees warmer than last year.  But being from Florida I don't race in these temps very often.  I have a very thin Nike rain jacket but worried I might get warm and certainly have no interest in discarding that thing Smile

BTW - I'll flying up mid-day Saturday and will hope to hit the expo before it closes that night.

Best of luck JT!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

slingrunner

Yesterday I ran my 7 w/2 @MP and my half mile splits were all over the place.  My knee is still hurting me a little bit, but I think it's one of those things that won't matter on game day.

I'm less worried about the weather during the race, and more about how it will affect the start.  My plan is to just hide behind other runners the whole way, and if it's in the 40s/ 50s and raining, just wear shorts, singlet, arm warmers, and maybe a hat.  It doesn't seem like the wind will be too strong.

I asked in the BM thread too, but if anybody has any info on how to get dropped off right at the start (not athlete's village), I'd love to know how to go about that.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

jayluf

Good luck this wknd JT! Go get it!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

40s with headwind may lead to me wearing my nice rain jacket. Not sure how one stays warm in those conditions without it.

50s with rain is a different story. I would be chilly running in that during training, but not during a race. I have an old rain jacket that this new one is replacing. I was planning on donating that thing anyway, so I probably will probably just wear that and then chuck it once I warm up. Of course, I have a brand new rain suit courtesy of Amazon, so I could just wear that jacket and chuck on the course somewhere.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I would play it by ear.

If you end up with steady rain and low 40s, wear your good rain jacket.  Worst case, you can take it off and knot it around your waist.

If it's rainy but a bit warmer, I'd go with layers that you can toss - singlet and arm-warmers under throwaway technical shirt under poncho.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

steve_

powered by plants

Well, wunderground has changed a bit for the...different.  Temps are now looking like around 58F at the start with 15mph SSW wind and chance of T-storms.  I hope you're all prepared for the race to be either called or delayed if there's lightning.

I wish you all the best of luck, but I need to ask, with a race with such a recent history of utterly crappy race conditions, why keep setting this as a goal race?  Chicago is the same.  How many times do you have to say "this weather is NOT normal" before it becomes normal?

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

finbad

Steve - I pretty much agree with you, for me Boston is a one-off holiday race but it does seem like a risky one to bank on. Arrived in Newport RI and discovered there is a marathon on here on Saturday, if conditions looked much better I'd be tempted to enter then fun run Boston

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

weatherboy80

Yup, all model guidance (similar to what the American models have shown for 2 days) have trended towards the warm front surging north quicker by Monday morning allowing temperatures to soar towards the low 60s with dew points not far behind.  We also have a much better shot of getting a south or southwest wind with higher humidity.  At least a frozen/cold repeat of last year is looking least likely now, but you may have have to factor in somewhat high humidity for a lot of runners.  Still looks nice and wet so staying dry beforehand is a key.  We may also have to deal with some isolated storms which I'm sure would be a nightmare scenario for the BAA.

I guess welcome to New England in April!  3 days ago it was in the 30s, marathon Monday looking more and more humid and then Tuesday looks perfect!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

M_M_C

So now that its looking like its going to be humid AF, will anyone else be shaving their legs??

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - Totally agree. Spring marathons in general are tough due to weather volatility, but especially New England. I wish there were more races that were good spring marathons, i.e. good weather, good course, and fast runners. It feels like those are all fall marathons (CIM, Houston, etc.) I signed up for this because I think you have to run it at least once, but anybody who makes it their goal marathon each year is crazy.

Weather - I will take the high humidity as long as we get some showers along the way. Even with the high humidity, if the winds are kicking at 10-15 mph from the side, we should all stay pretty cool. Trust me, after the forecasts for the last few days, I would pay to lock in exactly this forecast. This isn't "perfect" weather but I would say it's pretty good for a spring marathon. The thunderstorms are the scariest thing, if we have to stay in that mud pit for an extra hour because of storms rolling through I am going to lose it. Also don't forget in your "welcome to New England" that it's going to be 73 on Saturday!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also agreed. I think Boston is a fine race to target, but plan to compete for place, not time.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

weatherboy80

This guy's site is pretty good:  https://runweather.com/2019/04/12/boston-marathon-weather-not-a-total-washout/

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather - I saw that guy's info in the same thread DW shamelessly promoted her own blog . I also, however, felt like I was cheating on you by reading his weather takes, so I refused to believe anything until I heard from you this morning.

Andres1045

JT - Good luck Sunday!  You're cycle is looking awesome. I'll be rooting for you.

Boston runners - Kill it! Looks like the weather is slowly making a turn for the better. Remember though, take it crazy easy at the beginning. Destroy the last 5. Has everyone posted bibs somewhere? Someone tracking?

I agree that the Boston weather makes it generally difficult to try and keep it as an A+ goal race, but it also seems like more and more people keep holding out for absolute perfect conditions. I think I've mentioned this before, but several people here in Houston go to CIM each year citing better weather. Houston can get crap weather every once in a while, but it is generally good (mid to upper 50s) to perfect (low 40s). If you get it stuck in your head that you will only do well when its low 40s, dry and no wind, this will end up being a very disappointing hobby for you.

Upcoming races: Boston