2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

JT - Thats still a great time in those conditions, how much do waterlogged shoes weigh compared to dry ones??  Also running solo is tough as well (I think anyway). Is there another marathon you could jump into next month?

Good luck Boston folk. 👍

Thanks Mikkey. Good question about the water weight. I reckon the VFs do not retain a lot of water (I have the flyknit model), but it felt like my socks took on a lot of water weight. I was thinking at the start that these conditions would be good for going sockless, but having never done that in training would not have been a great thing to experiment with in a race. The guy who went barefoot at Hartford last fall had the best strategy for a rainy race!

Not sure about jumping into another one; I don't have the quick recovery abilities that guys like you and Madison do. I may look around for something.

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks all for the kind words everyone. DW: I wish I had paced that well; something was obviously wrong with the first checkpoint. I recall it being at the half marathon turnaround, which I think was around 6.5 miles, but even for that distance a pace of 6:57 does not make sense. Not sure what the issue was. But as you can see from my strava, my actual splits were more positive than negative. I knew sub 2:50 was out of the question after the half, so just gave it all I could and let the chips fall where they may. I did catch 4 people in the last 10 miles or so, despite my own slowing down. Third marathon in a row with rain the whole race. Hopefully the next one will be nice and dry!

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow! Looking forward to tracking and watching on TV.

Ah - yes I did see on Strava when you uploaded.

Remind me not to do the next marathon you sign up for, given your weather history.

Does anyone know Slingrunner's or Weather's bib #s?

I have:

M_M_C: 19:53 (2:47 pace)

Flyrunner: 21:30 (3:01 pace)

Finlay: 19:04 (2:40 pace)

Jayluf: 21:26 (3:00 pace)

Jmac: 19:28 (2:44 pace)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Andres1045

Weather's bib #s?

He's through the 10k at 39:30 (2:46 pace). He started out really nice and easy. From what I'm seeing, the temps are still under 60 (but humidity is very high). While that isn't ideal for most of us, that's better than what he encounters on most of his runs. My guess is he'll destroy the back half of this race.

Upcoming races: Boston

Running Problem

Problem Child

Does anyone know Slingrunner's or Weather's bib #s?

I have:

M_M_C: 19:53 (2:47 pace)

Flyrunner: 21:30 (3:01 pace)

Finlay: 19:04 (2:40 pace)

Jayluf: 21:26 (3:00 pace)

Jmac: 19:28 (2:44 pace)

Sling is 5588 according to my notes.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Thanks DW for tracking.

A few more to add in:

Nimmals (318): 10k in 37:57 (2:40 pace)

Lela (3740): 10k in 41:19 (2:54 pace)

Sling (5588): 10k in 41:53 (2:56 pace)

Looks like Finbad is not messing around. JMac started nice and conservative first 5k and now is cranking it down.

MMC and Weather should be pretty close to each other, wonder if they are running together.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

And....my tracker is failing  *sigh*

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Finlay: Half in 1:20:18

JMac: Half in 1:20:44

Weather: half n 1:23:03

MMC: half in 1:23:54

Fly: 20k in 1:24:42

Nimalls: half in 1:21:03

Sling: 20k in 1:24:06

Lela: half in 1:26:36

Finbad is holding steady from the start at 6:07-6:08 pace

JMac is nicely cranking it down every 5k.

Weather holding steady around 6:20

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://youtu.be/XxpgblZ23WM

heartbreak hill live stream. should see some people soon.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm seeing some good runners start to crater.  I'm guessing humidity is coming into play.

Swim5599

Fauble straight fire 🔥 today.  That kid is so nails.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Had to step away for a while

JMac: 2:44:43; PR, great execution!

Weather: 2:49:04, very close to a PR

Finlay: 2:51:20

Nimmals: 2:48:04

Great races by all. Looks like the weather and or course took a toll in the later miles.

Fly: 2:58:50; as usual, very even pacing from him. 1:29:12 first half, 1:29:38 second

MMC: 2:58:48, PR

Lela: 3:04:40

Sling: 3:07:14

jayluf: 3:40:44

Great job everyone!  Go have a beer now.

weatherboy80

Thanks for tracking guys.  Cramps and the hills took me out of this fairly early on even though I thought I went out fairly easy for my fitness, but I almost regrouped for a PR and just missed.  Honestly I think I was a bit mentally and perhaps physically over trained going in so I’m going to need a bit a reset.  My hats off to JMac to go sub 2:45 on this course his first time and in these conditions.  Congrats buddy!!

Congrats to all the finishers 🙂

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)