2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I was back up to 70+ miles last week and am planning 90+ with a VO2 max workout this week.  I signed up for the Green Bay Marathon on 5/19.  I'm considering just running by feel (i.e. no watch, hopefully find a pack to run with).  The course looks pretty fast but being mid May it could be hot.

It worked for Steve Jones when he ran a marathon WR in 1984. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Swim: Nice week; how are you feeling for your half this weekend?

DW: That was an impressive week last week; lots of good quality. You nicely negative split all of your 3 workouts; you have great discipline and judgement of your pacing, both in workouts and in races.

Madison: That's great that you are running Green Bay. I added you and Jayluf to the table.

Mikkey: How are you feeling for Sunday? Ready to rock?

Captain obvious: Have not heard from you in a while, are you ready for Illinois this weekend?

Kram is also running this weekend (Toledo).

2:52:16 (2018)

2:52:16 (2018)

ZZCaptainObvious

JTReeves - eh. Ready is an overstatement, but we'll see. Still gunning for sub 3, even if my last workout was too fast.

And I've been lurking - not too much to really add to discussions. Congrats to all of the Boston runners!

MTA: Oh, and Green Bay is a fun marathon. My mom ran it ten? years ago, the year that it was 27.2 but still had a ton of fun.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - I'll probably be dead by that age, so that alone inspires me 

Mikkey - weather is looking pretty good after this heat wave you guys are having. Upper 50s and light rain? Sign me up. Hopefully it stays similar, maybe even clearing up a little, but temps look great for your sub 2:50 attempt.

Kram/JT - I keep telling him to come back, he better if he runs a decent race this weekend!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

JMac: Really enjoyed your race report!  And agree with JT about getting those feelings in the later parts of the race.  I was so disappointed in myself through about 18-20 miles (relative to my goals going in) last week that I thought about walking all while still fading with cramping every so often that I probably cost myself at least a marathon PR after mile 21-22.  Based on your training cycle and the conditions of the day I'd say you ran just about as well as you could have.  Sorry about the meetup, but I think if we would have had dry conditions I would have gladly waited around in the Common for a meetup.

JT:  That guys time is just plain nuts.  I hope to just be active at that age.

Best of luck Mikkey!

Madison:  Damn that is some impressive recovery!

Nice week Swim!

Good luck to Kram!

DW: Very impressive last week.

Me: Not much else to report other than a few recovery bike rides and then some mostly EZ mileage over the weekend.  Legs still are quite beat up, especially my upper quads (more so than usual).  Will start looking at a late fall race myself.  Maybe something fast and flat that is more well suited to my week to week running conditions.   Who knows about Boston 2020, but I've done 3 in a row in now and it might be hard to stop especially when it feels like I've got something left to prove (to myself) on that course Smile

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

MTA: Oh, and Green Bay is a fun marathon. My mom ran it ten? years ago, the year that it was 27.2 but still had a ton of fun.

Yeah. A marathon that's a mile too long.  Sounds like a blast....

JTreeves - thanks for the nice comments - my coach is really really big on negative splits, so it's pretty much ingrained.

Weatherboy - if you want flat and late fall, Indy Monumental might be a good choice.  That's what I'm targeting this fall.  Another option is Coumbus, which is 3 weeks earlier.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals - I was trying to plan out some fall tune up races and the Suffolk County half came up (I'm kind of crazy with thinking that far in advance but I'm a planner). I saw you won the full, so I figured you're a good person to ask! Is it a well run race? I'm planning on running the half as a good tune up before CIM. My only concern with it was they plan on adding a 10K and I wasn't sure if you found that the slower runners in the shorter races clogged up the final miles.

JMAC, First off great race report. I like the conclusion best. It was a hot day that lead to mediocrity and not really the fault of any individual runner as it  had a collective effect on all runners.  Btw - yes I did the full but didn't find slower runners clogged the roads. Funny story is that I missed the start so I started 3.5 minutes after everyone else and had to work my way through the slower runners (half and full). It really wasn't that bad and the first mile may have been my second fastest mile. Long island roads are usually closed so you can run your tangent as the masses are clueless. Everyone who knows me knows I'm always late to the start. I didn't catch the leaders until 9 miles. My Girlfriend was 2nd in the half and she does not recall seeing any runners.  If they add a 10k there is a potential of running into slower runners but with the layout of the current race slow 10krs will not impact your pace. Sorry for late response i was sick with flu like symptoms just came back to work today.

JayLuf -  I had a routine I used when I ran Boston and Long Island back to back. It was a huge success for me with a 3 minute PR it was on the old forum but  I could look it up for you.  Several people asked me to share and so I did a write up on it for RWOL sub 3 there were only 12 days between the races. The plan consisted of two full  days of rest and many active recovery days.The two day offs Tuesday after Boston, Saturday before long island all my other days were biking and I did 3 runs, yes I ran 3 times with longest run being the Sunday following with a 14 miler. All other days I biked 13 miles on a mountain bike.  I'm a huge optimist I believe in good races and that good races are a given bad races are a fluke. I tried to sign up for Helsinki, I feel fit and like I could easily run a 2:33 at this moment.  I'm looking for a fast marathon too but it has to be a race on the Abbot age group calendar. I'd go with your gut.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks Nimmals. Sounds like a good race and it's in my plans now. I noticed how off your gun and net time was when I was searching, I figured you must have really stormed back! Hope you feel better by the way.

Weather - I cannot believe just a week later you're already talking about going back to Boston. I definitely do NOT have that feeling yet.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

steve_