2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Spaniel - welcome.  I have to admit, I'm very curious to know which marathon has a half-marathon qualifier.  Or is this a seeded status/late entry sort of thing?

Vaporfly Question - what's the shortest distance you've raced in them and been comfortable? I'm definitely not running a 5K in them, and the half you obviously would, but what about something like a 10K? Seems like an awkward distance and I'm not sure if the VF makes sense or something more like a 5K shoe. I was checking out the UAE 10K photos in Central Park this past weekend and noticed a mix of VF's and LTs on the pros.

I think I've mentioned this before, but my "crushed" VFs with a few hundred miles are making a nice 5K shoe.  I turn and kick just fine in them now.

I think whether I used a newer "non-crushed" pair for a 10K would depend on the course.  The more turns, the less I'd be inclined to use he VF.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel - welcome.  I have to admit, I'm very curious to know which marathon has a half-marathon qualifier.  Or is this a seeded status/late entry sort of thing?

Grand Rapids MI "Last Chance" Boston qualifier.  It's only ~300 people and they want it populated by people with a serious chance to qualify, so they apparently want to know runners stand a realistic shot to let them in.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

madisonrunner

Vaporfly Question - what's the shortest distance you've raced in them and been comfortable? I'm definitely not running a 5K in them, and the half you obviously would, but what about something like a 10K? Seems like an awkward distance and I'm not sure if the VF makes sense or something more like a 5K shoe. I was checking out the UAE 10K photos in Central Park this past weekend and noticed a mix of VF's and LTs on the pros.

I set my 5k and 10k PRs in Vaporflys and I don't see an upper limit in terms of speed.  Elite marathoners run sub 5 minute miles in them.  They are harder to corner in so track work is a bit iffy, though I did use them for most of my indoor speedwork on a 200m track this winter.  I switched to shoes with a lower stack height for my last VO2 max workout indoor though since I felt a bit unstable in the Vaporflys.  I think they are way more durable than other racing flats.  I'm over 400 miles on my first pair and plan to continue using them for long runs.  Perhaps the cushioning has been crushed down a bit but there is still plenty of cushioning for my long runs.

slingrunner

I PRd pretty significantly in the 8K with the vaporfly.  Seemed pretty comfortable to me there.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

cinnamon girl

Back to posting late night on RA. Not to get into too much drama but I was in a relationship and I got the 3rd degree when he saw I was posting about running on the internet. (I know, right?!) It’s not like I have a facebook or an IG account or any social media posting half naked pics of me running. Anyways, so that was the reason for my last post over a year ago and my absence. And so .. I left about a month ago and have been trying to get re-situated. Anyways, I’m back. Flirting with all the guys I guess. And I’m so glad I was able to come back at the right time to congrats MIKKEY!! You deserved the mug from your performance at NYC but it’s official now and the tribute makes it much more meaningful. Very cool. Care to share more about Sally? I’m looking forward to seeing a pic of it being put to use! How are you feeling now post-race?

Welcome Spaniel ~ I had sciatica in 2016 going into NYC but running NYC course seemed to have acted like a chiropractor and I haven't felt it since. So disabling though that shooting pain running down the backs of your legs all the way to your ankles is what I felt. Weird stuff. Welcome! How many centuries ago was the 2:28?

Speaking of centuries - mikeymike - you're getting old too? Post bio. I don't see where it is, but then again, I've gotten to the point where I need glasses.

Swim - 5:28 is a great finish! Very happy to see you running so well!

I’m looking forward to catching up and talking about running. I’m running a marathon this weekend, and someone asked me at work last night how many miles is it. As it is kind of nice to have people clueless about this thing, it is also nice to be able to chat with people who aren’t as well.

I forgot I had inquired about elite entry into Vancouver last fall until I got an email from them a couple weeks ago wanting me to confirm my plans. I was like, oh shit! I’ve always wanted to go to Vancouver and then I consulted a very good friend who encouraged me to go ahead and do it. So Sunday it is. Needless to say my training has been half-assed for awhile and I almost gave it up a couple times over the past year or so because I just felt too drained, too exhausted; but something in me said don’t quit just yet. I went to Paris in mid-December and since coming back I really tried to keep putting effort back into running because I want to feel the good feeling again when your running is smooth and you feel in shape or whatever you call it, and you know you have that little part of your world that no one can touch or should take away.

Some workouts (in order) Jan/Feb: kind of made up shit as I went along or how I felt that day. Long runs for marathon prep pretty lacking.

20 x 400 (1:26) 60 sec rec

9 x 800 (2:53) 2:30 rec

10 x 1 mi (6:32) 60 sec rec

3 x 1200 (4:25), 3 x 400 (1:24), 1 x 200 (:38), 1 x 1600 (6:03)

2 x 2 mi + 1 mi (6:12, 6:09, 6:09)

3 x 800 (2:49), 2 x 400 (1:22), 2k (7:34)

8 x 1k (3:44) 75 sec rec

1600 (6:01), 1200 (4:26), 800 (2:51), 400 (1:18)

Then I started doing some progression/longer tempo runs in March

7 mi progression 6:58-6:18 (6:39 avg) followed by next day of 10 mi with last 5 at 6:47

13 mi progression 8:07-6:12 (last 7 at 6:41 avg)

10 mi tempo with +/- 500 ft course simulation two weeks out

Past 16 wks avg 60 mi. 12 of the 16 avg 67 with the lighter weeks around races - jumped in Hyannis 1/2 in Feb while I was visiting my son and got 1st Masters but the weather was horrendous and then a 10 mi in Apr in Sac where I won my AG but that was half-assed as well as I ran from home to the race barely making it in time for the start.

I think my biggest struggle will be all the turns in Stanley Park in the last 10k. But maybe I won't even make it that far  I have no clue how it’s going to go but I am looking forward to having water bottles and enjoying a long run on a beautiful course, and seeing Vancouver. Part of me is hesitant, part is excited. Cautious anticipation.

VF? I'll be running in NB 1400s. As always.

Cheers!

Cinnamon: What a pleasant surprise!!! So glad to have you back here. We were wondering wtf had happened; I'm glad you are ok and still running. Your training looks solid to me; you might surprise yourself this weekend. Should be a beautiful course to enjoy if nothing else.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I second this pleasant surprise from JT! Welcome back cinnamon! If only you knew how many times over the past year+ we said "where is cinnamon" or "wish cinnamon still posted". What's your goal for this weekend? Also, if you could post a very quick bio since some folks are new here, that may be helpful! Also, now we have darkwave in this group so not just dealing with a bunch of dudes. It's much better this way.

Your comment about your bf made me laugh. I don't think my wife quite knows exactly what this is, but she always says "you're on one of those weird running sites again aren't you" when she sees me on my iPad. One day I'll have to break the news to her of what goes on in here. It's an interesting question for the group: how many of your SOs know about this group?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Cinnamon - wow welcome back see nothings changed (avatar). Good to have you around. I don't know if it's your same avatar but i always assumed you were a Heineken. This is the first time I'm noticing Beck's or did you switch brews too? Good luck in Vancouver.

Vapor fly PRs are too numerous 

Plus a 4:28 5th Ave Mile and 4:24  Main street miles in blue vapor fly both not Record eligible due to Elevation drop.

So Abbott WMM just let the beans out 1000 spots for London, 300 fastest then next  700 slowest. That means I am no longer looking for a Spring or Fall marathon. I ran Boston as a guide. I thought they would chose the first three from each age group worldwide so I was going to try to get another 2:35 which may have been good enough.  They're letting 85 male and 85 females from my age group into London, no need to put myself through the expense of traveling for a race before 9/22/2019. In October they will be sending out the invites. If any of you have done the 2 or more majors plus a few other hundred local races you may now have a shot if London is bucket race.

Darkwave you're in for sure if you want to do a 2nd race SWIM too can be in.  You see most people I know who does, London have to go the Charity route. Anyway with the ginormous amount of spots designated. My CIM and Boston times have me ranked top 20's overall I can't imagine I can be bumped to 86 in 6 months. Anyone interested feel free to check out the link. We get to go hang with the latest moose mug royalty   Mikey.

One thousand places available for inaugural Age Group World Championships

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

cinnamon girl

Very quick bio. Turn 49 next month. Two adult children with one still in college. I’m a pharmacist in an emergency room with work schedule 2p-12:30a which makes for 12 hr days including commute. I work 8 on, 6 off so I call it a 96 hr wk. I ran the 1600 and 3200 in 9th gr and was ranked #1 in state for the 3200 going into the state meet but got 2nd and was a top 5 scorer on our xc team that won state that year. My dad passed away from cancer just days after state xc meet. 25 yrs later at age 40 I decide to start really running again with goal of Boston. Marathon PR is 3:00 from my 3rd at Houston in 2012. Tore a hamstring terribly that fall. Took long recovery but got in good shape by early 2015 when I ran LA with Hadley’s training with 10-12 mi tempos for second half of long runs in 6:30 and 2 x 5 mi in 6:15 going into LA but it was record heat and ran 3:02. That was probably my best marathon performance. Now I’m training because . . . ?? I feel better when I do and I love experiencing life and the world through running and racing.

Thanks for the welcome back JT and JMac - nice marathon PRs I see now in your sigs for you both! Fast! Good stuff!

Slammin - always been Beck's.

Good to be back. Time to get to airport.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cinnamon - Great to see you back and thanks for the congrats...I’m still in shock that I’m a Moose Mug winner...but now it’s got to be Sub2:50 before I hang up my running shoes...I’m chasing the dragon! 😀   That made me sad the reason you stopped posting here, but I’m glad you’re free again...this is a running forum ffs!  My wife knows I post on here and I know that she has her Zumba WhatsApp group (so we’re both even)  I don’t do fakebook or twatter and I’ve never taken a selfie! Your training looks good to me so best of luck on Sunday...and run beautifully!

Slammin - Wow I didn’t know about this Abbott WMM....so you’ll most likely be running London next year? You’ll love it and it would be very cool to actually see you in person!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Cinnamon - welcome!  I read a memo somewhere that only one female was allow to participate on this thread at a time, but I'm now going to ignore that, and I hope you do too.  Looked at Vancouver - that looks like a fun race.  Good luck!

Slammin - thanks again for the WMM heads up.   My plan was to do Boston next year, since that year may be my best chance of getting into the women's elite start (because all the sub-2:45 female masters will be in Atlanta).  Doing London would be awesome, though.   I hear they have Chipotle there.

However, my fall marathon was going to be Indy Monumental, which is in November, so that may be too late to get me in.  I need to look into this further.

My boyfriend/partner (been together for over a decade but not married) knows vaguely about this group, and I've mentioned to him before that I'm meeting up with people I know online at races for drinks, etc.  He's never had any problem with it.  Or with me training with mostly men, which I would think would be more concerning.

So...I have the Broad Street 10 Miler in Philly this Sunday.  The 10 MPH tailwind on the point-to-point course is looking great.  The rain that rolls in just in time for the race, not so much.  With that tailwind I was thinking I could really lay down a time (it's a very fast course, and plays to my strengths).  So I'm really hoping the rain is light and not heavy, or that it hits earlier or later.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Feeling the growl again

Welcome Spaniel ~ I had sciatica in 2016 going into NYC but running NYC course seemed to have acted like a chiropractor and I haven't felt it since. So disabling though that shooting pain running down the backs of your legs all the way to your ankles is what I felt. Weird stuff. Welcome! How many centuries ago was the 2:28?

2:28 was 2006.  It was actually a trainwreck of a race.  I was training to attempt an Olympic Trials Qualifier (2:22:00) and peaked early, running a 30:57 10K a month before my goal race.  Did one last big workout a week later, and both messed up my hamstring and induced overtraining syndrome.  I went out in 1:12-something, felt like hell the whole time, and just jogged in fast enough to beat my 2:29 PR.

I was in pretty decent shape until 2014, ran a 1:14 HM that fall.  Then I took a promotion and the wheels came off....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

steve_