2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

ZZCaptainObvious

Madison - Nice run on Saturday! I looked at running that race since I've never actually run a 20K before. Looks like a fun course as well.

Marathon training round 2 for 2019 kicked off in semi-earnest last week, since Madison Rockin' Brews is in 18 weeks (8/31/19). Goal is sub 3 (try, try again). I think I'm going to actually try running workouts again, so we'll see how that goes...

Last week was pretty quiet with a big work conference on Monday and Tuesday, then some slower days. Off, Off, 5, 5.4, Off (went 2-1 at Magic), 7.3 (very easy), 5.9 for 23.6 on the week.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nimmals - I definitely requested you, it's just sitting there saying "requested" because I guess your account is private?

Lela - sorry to hear about the job and other personal stuff going on. We are always looking forward to having you here! Noticed your Strava was very light so I figured something was going on. Here's to a good upcoming summer and having you back for real 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Darkwave - Wow, what a fantastic run and you didn’t have to wait long after the Cherry Blossom disappointment!  Plus you got to run with Flyrunnr who seems like a fun and nice guy. 👍

Cinnamon - I’m very pleased for you....running a great course and nearly back to your marathon best even without much specific training!  As soon as you mentioned toilet breaks I thought of Slammin. 😁

Lela - Sorry to hear about the personal stuff and no worries about disappearing. When you are here your posts are golden and beneficial to us all!

Me - Ray Bentley (aka Mr Moose Mug) got back to me today and thinks his mug man is still ok to make them and asked for my home address.🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️    I’m running the Eastbourne Trackstar marathon this Saturday which I’m looking forward to again...but I won’t be counting the laps this time, They tell you when it’s your last lap and I know when that time is coming...at about 27 miles on my Garmin. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals - I definitely requested you, it's just sitting there saying "requested" because I guess your account is private?

Try again, its probably better to do it on Garmin connect same name with spaces. I did update Strava to everyone.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

weatherboy80

Darkwave: Congrats on a great race!

JT:  Nice looking week.  Looking forward to seeing how much improve in the short stuff.

Cinammon: welcome back.  Congrats on the marathon as well!

Lela:  No worries - take care of yourself.  Still a great time you put down at Boston this year!

Mikkey:  Think I already mentioned it before, but great job again last week!

Nimmals:  Great looking week!

Madison:  Just crazy fast as usual.  Nice job and congrats on the PR!

Me: I've been a bit AWOL over the last 7-10 days due to work and travel, but not much to report with my running.  Been up into the low 60's over the last 2 weeks, post Boston, and then raced my slowest "flat" 5K yesterday in well over a year running a 17:27 in 100% humiidty (always a bad sign when you have fog at 77-78 degrees).   After I ran a great tune-up workout on Tuesday (with 3 X 1K's at sub 3:20 per km) was really pumped to see what I could in a 5K again.  Went out decent by hitting the first mile at around 5:28 pace, but then really faded during the 2nd mile running into a bit of a headwind and then recovered to a 5:31 or so finish once turning out of the wind.  Thinking that after traveling to some lower humidity (DC area) and then coming back to the swamp that is FL right now two days before a hard race kind of hurt me as the humidity zapped me more than usual.  Usually takes a good 1-2 weeks, even for me, to build back into this kind of humidity here.  Have another 5K coming up next weekend that ends my local race series, but the weather looks like absolute crap yet again so will just run hard and for placement.  No way I'll likely be breaking 17 with this kind of heat.

Regarding shoes: I picked up a pair of Nike Peg's and have been running in them a bit.  Have been a New Balance and Saucony guy over the last 4-5 years, but after all this talk about the Vaporfly's etc ... will be curious to give them a shot at some point towards the fall.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather - I don't know if I'm reading your Strava correctly. But if I am, is it correct that you haven't had a zero week in four years???? If that's the case, I'm in absolute shock that you are not taking time off after Boston, especially given the (relatively, based on your goals coming in) disappointing performance. You read about pro runners taking sometimes two full weeks off after goal races, but almost always a full week. I'm curious why you haven't done that in four years.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

JMac: Yeah, I would venture to guess that is more or less a correct with my volume.  I've certainly had some periods where I have taken 2-3 days completey off or had some minor injury tweaks where I have cross trainined a bit.  After Boston 2017 I did take the entire week off afterwards.  Plus I have had many weeks where I've just done EZ stuff for a bit.  Although I might have to re-think that again summer in order to reset things a bit.  I guess more of less running has been therapy for me so it would be really hard for me to completely reset, but after so many gains in the past 2-3 years I'd venutre to guess that I'm up against a bit of a wall with my race times Wink

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

You may be up against a wall, but given you have a tendency towards overtraining (as seen by the lack of taper, the fact that you haven't taken a week off in 4 years, etc.), you'll never know if it's just because you never actually take a break.

I really think something like 10 days completely off in the middle of the summer when it's a thousand degrees in Florida would be good for you. Do you have any 7+ day vacation plans soon? That's a perfect time to do it, just completely unwind. The first 3 days are going to be rough and you will be antsy to get out there, but trust me, you get used to it. I would bet you that over 90% of pro runners out there have had at least one 7 day stretch with 0 miles run.

Lela: Glad to have you back here and I hope the rough times are over for you. I'll be targeting Erie for sub 2:50 as well so it will be nice to have someone on the same train!

Weather: That switch from cooler low humidity back to FL did probably hurt for the 5k. Hard to go for time when the weather is so unfavorable. Funny you mentioned you are trying out Nike now; I just tried adidas for the first time (Adizero Adios 4) and am thinking this may be my new marathon shoe. They fit perfect and feel great. 

2:52:16 (2018)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

You may be up against a wall, but given you have a tendency towards overtraining (as seen by the lack of taper, the fact that you haven't taken a week off in 4 years, etc.), you'll never know if it's just because you never actually take a break.

I really think something like 10 days completely off in the middle of the summer when it's a thousand degrees in Florida would be good for you. Do you have any 7+ day vacation plans soon? That's a perfect time to do it, just completely unwind. The first 3 days are going to be rough and you will be antsy to get out there, but trust me, you get used to it. I would bet you that over 90% of pro runners out there have had at least one 7 day stretch with 0 miles run.

Weatherboy, Im with JMAC here that just plain ridiculous, there is active recovery and there necessary recovery..

My GF alway says "Training plus recovery equals improvement." Although she is barely any better at observing it than you.

You should take at a minimum 5 -7 days off. I actually do 3-4 weeks a year I remember in college I did XC\ indoor \outdoor all in sequence and by outdoor my indoor times were 3-5% better than my outdoors. By outdoors I was running on fumes.  Plus I  was one of those useless athletes who was good at nothing but decent at everything. I ran 4x100 to 4x mile all the relay teams included me. I was the only full scholarship athlete and my school got their moneys worth. Worked me like dog no wonder I quit running for 12 years after college. You need to take a break, otherwise you'll burn out like I did.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Weatherboy

You should take at a minimum 5 -7 days off. 

So this is an interesting sidebar: what is everyone's definition of "off"?

For me, post-marathon, I take 7-10 days off - but "off" doesn't mean absolutely nothing.  It means no running, no intense cardio activity, and no obligations - if I wake up and want to stay in bed and read, I do.  If I really want to go for a swim, I do.

But...I know other people for whom "off" means less running. Or, on the other side, absolutely no athletic activity whatsoever.

From my limited observation of elites, many do take two weeks completely off from all structured athletic activity.  However,  seems like they always use that time to go hiking, which of course is somewhat physically taxing and not the same as sitting in front of a computer all day.  The rest of us schlubs with office jobs don't have the luxury of doing 2 weeks off that way - the marathon IS our vacation...

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

weatherboy80

Thanks for the discussion folks.  I'd like to hear more from others as well.  I know some folks that have been running for 4-5 years (or more) straight without taking a break (except for down weeks and EZ running for time to time).  I do have a few trips planned over the summer (each 4-5 days) that may serve as some excellent periods off, especially before my next big training block.

Marky_Mark_17

Thanks for the discussion folks.  I'd like to hear more from others as well.  I know some folks that have been running for 4-5 years (or more) straight without taking a break (except for down weeks and EZ running for time to time).  I do have a few trips planned over the summer (each 4-5 days) that may serve as some excellent periods off, especially before my next big training block.

*unlurk*

I had injury niggles and stuff after not really having any sort of break between April 2016 and Jan 2018 (including a first marathon in late 2017).  Mileage wasn't high by this thread's standards (topping out around 55mpw) but it was for a relatively new and inexperienced runner like me.

Took two light weeks while on holiday snowboarding in late-Jan 2018 - didn't stop running but was just doing slow 5km runs around the village in the snow for a total of 25-30km/week to keep the legs turning over (and there was a fun trail that went across the front of some of the ski runs).

Came home and ran a half marathon PB on a savage hilly course 6 weeks later (and then PB'ed again 3 weeks later on a flat, fast course).

*relurk*

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - I think at least a week completely off running is needed at least once a year. For some of us, that occurs due to injury and we don't have a choice. For others, maybe it's a vacation where you can spend some time with family or just unwinding. For example, I jumped back into training after Boston because I know I'm taking 9 days off soon for a trip to Japan.

I don't think you can run 3-5 miles a day for 7 days straight and call it being "off". I think your lazy definition of 10 days off is perfect, just going with the flow and cross training if you really need to get out there.

I also think it's even more critical for someone like weather who runs 7 days a week and put in a cycle averaging 80+ and may have overtrained. If you're coming off a great cycle and want to keep pushing to see where your limits are in the near future after a marathon, then sure! But weather's body is telling him he needs to take a breather.

weather - These people you know that do this: are they elites? If they are, then more power to them. Most of the folks that I know that have run 4-5 years straight without a break are not top of their class. Think about it: the entire principle we all train on is EASY/HARD. You take your easy days very easy, and you take your hard days hard. The same concept applies with cycles: you take your cycles hard (which you did), but now you need to take your easy time easy! Generally the "I've run every day for 5 years straight" guys that I know are not pushing themselves hard enough in their cycles and are just out there getting miles.

ETA: Just saw Mark's comments. I think anybody that has hit new mileage high (like weather) probably fits into that category. When you reach new highs, you need to set new lows.

Swim5599

As some that has teetered on the edge myself on the overtraining front, I have to agree with most of you.  I took off more days during my marathon cycle this past fall then I did combined for the previous 6 marathon cycles.  Felt strong the entire time and then ran a great race this past December.  Also slowed down all the easy runs.  And the down time post race is crazy easy for quite some time.  The most important lesson I learned over the last 10 months  is that there is no need to go out and prove your fitness for nearly 75 percent of your weekly mileage just enjoy a casual jog and put the pedal down on the hard days only.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04