2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

For me, the time off is not just for injury or overtraining prevention.

Basically, it seems to be what is necessary to bring me to the next level - basically, I intentionally take a step back in hopes that it will pay back with many steps forward.

It seems to have worked so far - I start each new cycle a bit frustrated, since it takes so long to get back to where I was.  But then, shortly after, I suddenly bounce up and am on a new stairstep.

Right now, I feel that I'm in better shape than I was when I ran my marathon PR at CIM.  And I'm not sure I'd be here now if I hadn't deliberately "shed my excess fitness" back in December/January with a good stretch of non-running activity, followed by a longer stretch of light mileage and avoidance of hard workouts.

Of course, the flip side is I think we can take TOO long off, especially as we get older.  I honestly would not be comfortable with taking more than 10 days off from running altogether - after those 10 days, the first week or two I have a lot of aches and pains and near-injuries as I ramp back up.  If I took any longer, I'd worry that I'd lose my durability.

That's why I personally go with 7-10 days of non-running - 7 is the lower limit, and 10 the upper.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

madisonrunner

ZZ - The Rockin' Brews Marathon I believe was the Madison Garden Marathon back in 2015 when I ran it as a training run (and was a chocolate themed marathon the past couple of years).  It's a very nice course (basically 2x the 20k course I just raced) - through quiet neighborhoods and on bike paths around Lake Monona.  It's not flat and in August it will likely be hot though there will be shade.  The race organization may have changed with the name change but it was not well organized when I ran it.  It started 15 minutes or more late and was not well-marked.  A bunch of us took a wrong turn and added on almost a mile.  I"m pretty sure when I ran it there were 4 total aid stations (2 on each loop) and one just had water (the other had a sports drink and gels of some sort).  But I think you'll have a good experience if you run the course a few times in training and carry a bottle during the race.  Focus on consistency this cycle and you'll have a good shot at sub 3.

finbad

Cinnamon - welcome back and great result

Lela - good to see you again

DW - excellent 10 mile race

Madison - training look lovely

Spaniel - be really interesting to watch your training, sub 3 seems like an open goal for you with some consistent training

Nimmals - ditto on the Strava pending thing

old topics

Yes my wife knows about this group but thinks it is hilariously dorky. She refers to all American runners I know as 'Steve' and all the British ones as 'Alan', e.g. "are you online chatting to the Steves again?".

My thoughts on time off after the marathon - I took 17 days off after Boston but this was enforced due to planned vasectomy. Can't say that I feel much fresher than my normal routine of light running in the week after but perhaps I'll come around for some good racing soon.

Made my return in a nice sensible way by racing the Scottish national 5k championships on Friday  - 17:08. Not much better than 10k pace but I got out fast and faded a bit (5:21, 5:34, 5:36), I blame the jockstrap. Pretty pleased with that overall. Field was deep - top 13 all under 15 and top 3 women under 16, I was 150th.

Did some nice quick 300's yesterday in 52s and racing a 10k on Thursday (jockstrap free!)

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

M_M_C

Friends and GF are on RA and sometimes lurk the forums. Whenever they see me posting on here they make sure to tease me about it.

old topics

Yes my wife knows about this group but thinks it is hilariously dorky. She refers to all American runners I know as 'Steve' and all the British ones as 'Alan', e.g. "are you online chatting to the Steves again?".

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Friends and GF are on RA and sometimes lurk the forums. Whenever they see me posting on here they make sure to tease me about it.

Funny to go on a forum, see someone else on that forum, and then tease them about being on the same forum.

"Hey Johnny, can you believe Bill goes to this bar?"

"I know, what a loser! What beer do you want?"

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Thanks for the discussion folks.  I'd like to hear more from others as well.  I know some folks that have been running for 4-5 years (or more) straight without taking a break (except for down weeks and EZ running for time to time).  I do have a few trips planned over the summer (each 4-5 days) that may serve as some excellent periods off, especially before my next big training block.

Even though I'm going to catch hell  and brimstone   ...

I'll  still speak my mind this is at no one in particular just from a logical opinion. I believe streaking is one of the silliest, habit \ invention ever.

I once broke up with my GF because she wouldn't take a week off.

So I blocked her on all social media also on the phone plan we share .

I can't stand streakers and their  false sense of accomplishment.

Throws Orb of Osuvox while taking cover.

Orb of Osuvox

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

weatherboy80

Not gonna catch any issues from me.  At the end of the day I don't get paid to do this sport as it is just one of my hobbies and I hope to learn from others here to grow and get better along the way.  And JMac those streak runners I mentioned would be considered local elites at best and you could likely argue are certainly not hitting their potential with not taking any downtime.  I think a few very light weeks sprinkled throughout my summer will do me wonders come the fall Smile

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Feeling the growl again

Everyone is free to pursue whatever goals they choose but I think it's safe to definitively say that streaking serves no legitimate training purpose.  Running over-tired or injured is not going to provide a positive return.

When I was running 100-120mpw I took every third Monday off whether I felt like I needed it or not.  Quite often I'd come back the next day (interval day) and realize I had been more tired than I realized before the rest day.

I also often took a solid week off after a goal marathon to let everything heal up, and another easy week after that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Everyone is free to pursue whatever goals they choose but I think it's safe to definitively say that streaking serves no legitimate training purpose. 

I have an injury-free streak that I'm actually pretty obsessive about preserving.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Andres1045

I'll  still speak my mind this is at no one in particular just from a logical opinion. I believe streaking is one of the silliest, habit \ invention ever.

I once broke up with my GF because she wouldn't take a week off.

So I blocked her on all social media also on the phone plan we share .

I can't stand streakers and their  false sense of accomplishment.

I've never really sat down to consider whether streaking is good or bad for training. Probably since my longest streak is likely no more than 30 days or so, if I had to guess. Seems logical that a day off is often needed in a cycle. But man, that's showing some great intensity when it comes to standing up for those things you believe in. I never would've guessed that streaking is one of those break-up-with-her-immediately-and-kick-her-off-your-phone-plan topics that come up in relationships. "I can understand that our views differ drastically when it comes to politics and religion, but please honey, never, ever, ever ever ever ever ever join one of those 'run a mile every day this year' challenges or that's it--we're over."

Upcoming races: Boston

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I've never really sat down to consider whether streaking is good or bad for training. Probably since my longest streak is likely no more than 30 days or so, if I had to guess. Seems logical that a day off is often needed in a cycle. But man, that's showing some great intensity when it comes to standing up for those things you believe in. I never would've guessed that streaking is one of those break-up-with-her-immediately-and-kick-her-off-your-phone-plan topics that come up in relationships. "I can understand that our views differ drastically when it comes to politics and religion, but please honey, never, ever, ever ever ever ever ever join one of those 'run a mile every day this year' challenges or that's it--we're over."

😂😂😂

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

M_M_C

From my experience streaks are bad news. Sometimes it’s better to take a day off but it’s super tempting to get out there keep the streak alive. I think mine is 243 days. I know a few others with a year or more and it did nothing more for them in terms of development and fitness than they would have gained from taking needed days off.

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

weatherboy80

Yup, I think we can all agree that occasional days off are a great training tool that I could probably use more of.  What I'm currently more curious about is the need for a complete reset or more than a few days (up to a week or two) completely off at the end of a big cycle versus taking time away from high mileage and lots of quality workouts instead just running easy low mileage for a bit?

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

cinnamon girl

Thanks Slammin.I knew it was only a matter of time - I'm glad it happened at a non-goal race. I think I might have an idea the reason behind (ha) why so hopefully I can prevent in the future. It better not be an age thing! My two stops were too long - but had to do with my bib coming unpinned, gu on my hands from gels, and the second stop the johns being off course.

Lela: I'm glad you're back! If you're even considering Vancouver - I highly recommend it. It may not be a PR course but it's a great destination marathon. Sorry about the job! Jobs suck. Cliche but when one door closes, another opens. Running is always there to help us through. I'm sure your speed will come back pretty quickly. Post when you can as it’ll be fun to see and follow your and JTReeves training together!

Hey Fin! Thanks for the welcome back. Run fast and free Thursday!  I did Edinburgh last May - was head on super ass windy along the coast there but beautiful country you got.

ZZCaptain: Why did you pick that as a target marathon? Late August in Wisconsin? I’ve ran a few loops around Lake Monona (20+ yrs ago) and it is nice route but late August with pretty much guaranteed heat and humidity - why not Twin Cities early October or something?

Mikkey: have fun running around in circles this weekend!! And thanks - I'm pleased as well. I did not think I was capable of that on Sunday. We're not done yet! 

Streaks – made me think of those who like to point out how much PTO they have. Like really, is that the best thing?? Shouldn't you be taking some time off?? 

Speaking of which - anyone reading or have read the Passion Paradox?

Ooh. I’m going to post my first weekly in a long time.

M: off

T: 7.77 mi (7:28) with some MP effort

W: 4.88 mi (7:36) with some MP effort

T: off

F: off

S: 3 mi (7:28) with a couple strides

S: Vancouver marathon

steve_