2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW/Cinnamon - get what’s yours! You should never feel bad about it. You’re not being a sore loser, because you actually did win something! $200 gets you most of the way to the new Vaporflies, that’s worth it to me 

5Ks - The 4 and 5 milers are just because of the geography of Central Park. It’s very easy for them to create these loops that start and end at the same place in Central Park, but it’s almost impossible to do it with a 5K. I do agree with the sentiment that it’s not about being a charity, just more about who is sponsoring it. NYRR often has each race sponsored for some cause, so I guess they’re “charity” but just a different mindset.

Me - gonna go for a PR next weekend. I’ve been hitting my tempo workouts well, so I think I’ve kept up my fitness after the marathon. 1:15:59 or bust.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Cinnamon: That's total BS, you absolutely have a right to speak up about it. I've had a situation where I was top 3 masters, and because of that I was not counted in the top 3 for my AG. But the reverse, which is your situation, does not make sense, since the overall masters placement is the more prestigious accomplishment. But regardless of the prize money, getting first in the 45-49 AG is awesome, as is top 3 masters. BTW, I put your result in the table on page 1, hope you are ok with that.

JMac: Good goal for the half, your T workouts have been great the last couple weeks so I think you can get that goal.

2:52:16 (2018)

slingrunner

Cinnamon- I totally get what you are saying, but to me this seems like a no-brainer.  There is actual money involved, it seems pretty clear cut. I agree that I think it's a huge difference between women and men.

It's been a month since Boston, and I'm not really sure what to do.  I was pretty banged up for a while (I don't know if it is the fault of the vaporfly, but it felt like a groin pull on both sides from about mile 10, and the pain continued for almost  3 weeks after).  i have been running fairly minimally and eating poorly, although I still have most of my fitness.  I feel stuck.  I don't feel like keeping the high mileage up, but I also am pretty competitive, and it would be demoralizing to see my times get worse.    I've got nothing left to accomplish in the marathon except breaking 3hrs. and I feel like even under near ideal conditions that might only be a 50-50 proposition.  I've also moved from 5 minutes to 20 minutes away from the lovely park system I like to run in.  For the moment I'm kicking the decision down the road, and just doing some local trail races in May.  Anyone here feel like you didn't want to keep up the high mileage? 20-30 miles a week would feel nicer.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cinnamon- I totally get what you are saying, but to me this seems like a no-brainer.  There is actual money involved, it seems pretty clear cut. I agree that I think it's a huge difference between women and men.

It's been a month since Boston, and I'm not really sure what to do.  I was pretty banged up for a while (I don't know if it is the fault of the vaporfly, but it felt like a groin pull on both sides from about mile 10, and the pain continued for almost  3 weeks after).  i have been running fairly minimally and eating poorly, although I still have most of my fitness.  I feel stuck.  I don't feel like keeping the high mileage up, but I also am pretty competitive, and it would be demoralizing to see my times get worse.    I've got nothing left to accomplish in the marathon except breaking 3hrs. and I feel like even under near ideal conditions that might only be a 50-50 proposition.  I've also moved from 5 minutes to 20 minutes away from the lovely park system I like to run in.  For the moment I'm kicking the decision down the road, and just doing some local trail races in May.  Anyone here feel like you didn't want to keep up the high mileage? 20-30 miles a week would feel nicer.

I know a guy who set a 5K PR and finished his first marathon who feels this way. I also know a guy who put himself into the medical tent going for a BQ and hitting an 8 minute PR who feels this way. Just go back to running for the reason you enjoy running. Why did you start running? Lose weight and get fit? You can do that with 30 miles a week. Beat a 5k time? Do that again. Enjoy the new area you live in and explore new places because being 20 minutes from that park means you do your warm up or long runs and still get there. 20 minutes is most people’s treadmill run. Is there anything you’d ever rather do than run for less than 3 hours? If so then go do that.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

madisonrunner

How many folks in here run charity 5Ks where they could easily win? I'm trying to find some 5ks throughout the summer, and I'm a little worried at the lack of competition in a lot of these (some winners are in the 18's) and whether it'll really let me push myself to the fullest.

I've realized I've now turned into 'that guy'.  The guy that shows up to a rinky-dink 5k/10k wearing short shorts and a singlet and wins easily.  There are lots of 5k/10k races around Madison.  Sometimes a downtown race will get a fast college guy but I typically do a suburban race when my marathon plan calls for a race as the logistics are easier.  I don't think you get pushed to your fullest if you win by 2 minutes so JMac I would research and try to find a few races that always have good competition to run your fastest.

I'm one week from Green Bay.  My plan is to run 5:5x for the first 18 miles and then push the last 8 (which are on a flat straight bike path).  My goal time is sub 2:34.  This past week I did a VO2max workout (3x1 miles) and broke 5 in the last repeat, which was cool.  I hadn't run a sub 5 mile in years.  By the end of the week I was feeling a bit rundown so I am taking the entire weekend off from running.

Swim5599

Madison.  Good luck next week.  Hope the weather cooperates.

on the charity 5k subject.  Back In Chicago there were competitive  races every week, but you could also find some winnable ones as well.  Flagstaff has a summer running series which is mostly trail races but occasionally a pro will show up to crush it.  The flagstaff mile is crazy competitive though.  A bunch of sub 4 dudes usually show for that.

Second recovery week.  44 total

mon 5 with strides 8:10

tue 8 with 8x1:00 on 5:33 2:00 off

wed 5 8:14

thurs 8 with 8x1:00 on 5:35 2:00 off

fri 5 8:17

sat 13 7:50

sun SRD

the small fartleks we’re at functional threshold power so not meant to be too taxing.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

weatherboy80

Madison:  Good luck next week.  Can't imagine how you can keep crushing these fast marathons.  Awesome job!

Cinnamon:  Agree with others that is BS and that is your money so you should have the right to speak up.

JMac:  I would expect you be very close to a PR if you get good weather based on your Boston and tempo's.  Good luck!

Sling:  I know how you feel.  Take a bit to just run for the sake of running and just reassess from there.

Swim: that's a great recovery week.

Mikkey:  Congrats on another marathon (especially with the mental toughness aspect of the track) and for being "that guy!"

Andres:  Based on what I've seen looks like you are steadily working yourself back.  Too bad the heat and humidity have taken away any chance at fast racing for us for a while.

As for charity/local 5K's ran another one yesterday, which was my season ending race in a local race series.  Unfortunately, the course was way too long this year (most folks had between 3.18 and 3.22 miles even running the tangents).  Sucks when the 3 mile mark seems like forever from the finish line.  Not sure the reason, but since it was so hot/humid it really didn't matter from a time point-of-view anyways.  Other thing that happened (to me and a few others) mid-race was some random old lady in an old car turned onto the course literally right in front of me with less than 0.5 mile to go.   There were enough runners on this loop so not sure why this was allowed to happen.  I'm mean she was crawling along looking like what is going on here which was actually pretty funny looking back, but I did have to run around her (that's how slow she was driving).  As for the race itself, I pretty much ran for position and almost chased down the 3rd and 4rd place young guys, but finished about 8-9 seconds behind them.  I pretty much ran pretty even splits and at slightly faster pace than the properly marked 5K I ran last weekend so it was a good way to end the racing season.  Plus with it being close to 80 degrees (dew point in the low 70's)  at race start think this effort was easily worthy of a sub 17 effort so I'll take it.

Weekly Summary
                Monday, May 06, 2019 thru Sunday, May 12, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Description Link
                Mon 10.2 7:46 Morning Run strava
                Tue 10.1 8:00 EZ + strides w/ Sarah and Jonathon strava
                Wed 3.1 8:19 Warm up strava
                Wed 3.7 6:48 Attacked by an angry mob of squirrels: 16 X 200 strava
                Wed 2.5 8:31 Cool down strava
                Thu 8.2 7:33 Trying out the new shoes strava
                Fri 7.3 7:37 EZ + strides strava
                Sat 3.3 8:14 Warm up strava
                Sat 3.2 5:31 Dodging a car mid race 🤔 strava
                Sat 3.3 8:25 Cool down strava
                Sun 12.2 7:37 11E + 1 faster strava
                  67.1 7:41  

Upcoming week: I'm gonna force myself to reset a bit and run some of lowest volume in 2-3 years that will include a few days completely off!  Have a few social runs on the calendar, but will not be doing any workouts for the next 2 weeks.  Thinking now is the right time even though I feel pretty good overall.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It'slike part of me cares but part of me doesn't.

Yes, but you don’t want the same thing to happen again to others who really do care!  If I was the RD I’d be very embarrassed about it and apologise as you shouldn’t have to point out their errors! And $200 is not be be sniffed at!  I remember when I was a young golfer (about 13 or 14) and I won a trophy, but the previous years winner didn’t bother to return it for the presentation. I was fuming and got my Dad to find out his address and he drove me over to his house the next day and I demanded that he hand over the trophy right now! Looking back I probably did over-react a bit. 😁

I ran the Eastbourne track marathon yesterday and nobody fast bothered to show and I won it by 16min with a 3:02....maybe I’ve become a “that guy”?  I didn’t enjoy it as much as last year, probably because of the amount of overtaking. There was one girl/two guys running together and taking up both lanes 1 and 2 and I must’ve lapped them about 30/40 times and it got soooo annoying...and the latter stages I just started running through them, but they still didn’t twig. I know the track always shows long on the Garmin...but 28 miles!  One of the marshalls congratulated me afterwards and said that I was no spring chicken! Luckily I’m ok with backhanded compliments. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

steve_