2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Swim5599

Man I would be upset if my marathon got canceled at the last minute.  Silly good half though Madison.

53 this week

mon 5 with strides 8:15

tue 9 with 8x20 sec strides.  Felt a touch off going into this and in the process pushing these as hard as I could I almost passed out afterwards

wed 5 8:17

thurs 5 with strides 8:19

fri 9 with 5x2:00 on at functional threshold power (5:45) 1:00 off

sat 5 8:10

sunday 15 as 92 minutes easy then 6x1:00 on at 5k power (5:15)

2:00 off plus easy to finish it

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Man I would be upset if my marathon got canceled at the last minute.  Silly good half though Madison.

Yeah, no kidding.  I'm guessing maybe the full course was flooded out, but the half course was OK?

My week  61 miles, 16 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming

M: yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running.
      T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 4x800 in 6:02, 2:56, 2:56, 2:56, 2:51 (recovery of just under 5:00 after the 1600; all other recoveries just over 2:30).  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
      W: 8 miles very easy (8:52), drills/strides, yoga, and 4 miles very easy (8:55)
      Th: Upper body weights/core and 8 "miles" of pool-running.
      F: 12 miles, including a tempo on the track of a bit over 3 miles in 20:15 (intended 4 miles, did 6:26/6:22/6:26/1:01 before bailing).  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
      Sa:  10 miles very easy (8:53), drills, strides, and upper body weights/core.
      Su:  15 miles - first 4 averaging 8:39; next 4 averaging 7:23; last 6 averaging 6:57, and then a cool-down of a bit less than a mile.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.

As for Friday's workout - just started working too hard during the tempo, so pulled the plug.  Every once in a while you have a bad day, and that was Friday for me.  Got extra sleep on Friday night, and that seemed to turn stuff around - Sunday's long run went much better.

We've had a cool, nice spring so far, and this weekend was the first warm and humid long run - ended at 73 degrees with a matching dew point.  Pretty happy with the paces that marathon effort yielded me, given the weather.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Swim: Almost passing out... you must have really been pushing it! Nice week.

DW: I feel guilty seeing all the supplemental stuff you do. I need to get back to some of that. I hear you on the heat/humidity today; I was feeling rough by the end of my long run, and it was the first run since last year where my shirt was totally drenched afterwards.

My week: felt worn out much of the week and had to cut back a lot on the quality. I think it's a combination of travel fatigue and things being really busy at work at the moment. Hoping the energy level will return to normal this week.

Weekly Summary
        Monday, May 13, 2019 thru Sunday, May 19, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
        Tue 8.2 8:22 Afternoon Run 443 strava
        Wed 6.2 8:39 Morning Run 355 strava
        Thu 10.2 7:41 Morning Run w/ 10 x 2 min 535 strava
        Fri 10.1 8:17 Morning Run 513 strava
        Sat 10.4 8:32 Lunch Run w/ 4 x hill sprints 795 strava
        Sun 16.0 8:21 Long run 885 strava
          61.1 8:18   3526  

2:52:16 (2018)

madisonrunner

Green Bay Half Marathon - 1:13:57 (10th) (marathon was cancelled)

It rained all day Saturday and the forecast was rain all Saturday night and through the marathon on Sunday, with a chance of thunderstorms too.  I got up to go to the bathroom at 3 AM, checked my phone, and saw that the marathon was cancelled due to the course being flooded.  Apparently all of the rain we got combined with a strong NE wind caused the water to flood the banks of the Fox River. The full has many miles on a bike path right along the river while the half is through city streets with none along the river.  All marathoners were given the option to race the half so I did that.

I planned to run 5:30s and pick it up for the last few miles.  I hit my goal except wasn't able to pick it up at all (last couple of miles were at 5:40).  Much of the last 4 were into a 15 mph wind which made it tough.  I wasn't passed the entire race and slowly picked off guys right up to the end.  After starting in about 25th place I finished in 10th place in 1:13;57 (5:39 pace), a PR by about 1:30.  Other than the wind the weather was actually pretty nice - 40s and no rain (though it was very wet/humid/foggy).

With the wind I don't think I could have PR'd in the marathon.  The last 8 of the marathon course would have been directly into the wind.  My plan had the marathon happened was to run 5:50s until 18 and then drop into the 5:40s for the last 8.  I don't think against the wind I could have done that, so I wasn't real upset that the marathon was cancelled.

I'm not going to look for another Spring marathon.  I'll take a little time off (still running, just not a defined training plan) as I figure out my plan for Fall.

cinnamon girl

Swim: Those sound more like 8x150m sprints vs strides. Yikes! Or maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are you being coached still?

Weather: my training will be in the 90s through Oct if not early November as well. Not with your humidity though. It does make it challenging to train for a fall marathon for sure.

Mikkey: yay your mug is on it's way to the UK! Smile

Madison: good job adapting and showing up to race. I like it!

JMac: ?

M: off

T: 10.4 mi (8:19) . . in Bend, Oregon

W: off

T: 10.4 mi (7:42)

F: off

S: 10.6 mi (7:42)

S: 2 hours (8:02)

Went on a road trip with my son early in the week so running took a back seat but had to do a run in Bend.  Another week of easy running ahead is the plan.

steve_

powered by plants

Cancelled due to flooding.  Ouch.  At least you got a good half out of it.

I wrapped up my spring racing with the Brooklyn Half.  1:22:16.  Definitely the best race I've run in temps over 45F.  As I'm sure JMac will attest to, it was sunny and warm for the first time in a long time this weekend and those are two things I just don't like with my racing.  Either way, I ran a negative split and was able to maintain 6:16s all the way down Ocean Pkwy, but man that ramp on to the boardwalk with about 250m to go felt like Heartbreak Hill.  If you're out there looking for a fast half marathon and don't mind usual temps in the upper 50s to low 60s, this is a race worth running.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hey everyone - 1:17:16 for me, so a full minute behind my PR. I knew by mile 3 that it wasn't going to be my day, but damn if I didn't try my hardest to hold on to 5:50 pace for dear life. It all unraveled by mile 11 though when I felt like I was giving it everything I had but the pace had worked up to 5:55. I was battling stitches way earlier than usual, which limited my water intake to basically 2 oz the entire race. That may have hurt me a bit, but the alternative was worse. I agree with Steve that it got hot out there in the final few miles, as it's a completely open parkway with zero shade.

Thank to all who commented on Strava. I definitely need to remember I can't PR every time out there, and that this really was going to be difficult coming off a marathon. Probably could have used another 2 weeks of training. However, I PR'd at all distances over the past 12 months so I can't be upset!

Either way, I'm excited to get to 5K training this summer. Haven't touched anything faster than LT pace for 12 months at this point, and it'll be nice to mix it up.

Steve - congrats, that's a great effort and I agree the course is set up well if you're ready to PR. I do hate the last 400 meters though!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

Steve and JMac: congrats on some great race efforts.  Enjoy some of that recovery this week as you both earned it!

Madison: Whoa that sucks to have a race canceled last minute.  Still way to give a go at the half and that's a blazing fast time.  Well done and congrats on a PR!

Cinnamon:  Nice looking easy week.  Yup, gonna be a long haul here with the heat for the next 4-5 months. Thinking I lost a good 5-6 this morning on my 10 miler.  Still not quite accimilated to our humidity levels just yet, but feel that is coming in another week or two.

JT:  Nice weekly mileage even if you had to cut back a bit on the quality.

Swim: Yikes no fun to nearly pass out.  Nice looking week though.

Darkwave:  Smart to pull the plug on a workout and glad the LR went better. You win the award for having the most balanced week yet again.

Me: had one of my lowest mileage weeks (outisde of a taper or race recovery week) in about 2-3 years with just over 46 total that included two complete days off.  Haven't done that in a while, but felt like it was time.  Won't plan any structured workouts this week either, but already progressed into the high 5's at the end of my run this morning - whoops!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Swim, if you didnt pass out or puke why mention it. It means you have to go harder there's no almost.

JMAC you cant win them all. A friend was gunning for sub 1:16 she got 1:17.  She too was disappointed but I know she'll hit A standard in Berlin. It was warm. Maybe you were trailing her she is infamous in Brooklyn.

Steve Nice job at Brooklyn congrats on the race and experience. No need to plug it its too crowded as it is. I ran it when it first moved to the beach but i ran as a pacer for a friend. I'll have to make it official

Madison Nice job buddy. From what I've noticed you're either cheap or you just suck at choosing races. Spend some money and go where you know you know the race directors aren't amateurs.    BTW - I have no doubt when catch a break you're swinging that race for a home run outta the park. I'm excited to see you throw down in a race like CIM or Grandma's. They built it, you must go leave the flooded cornfield  or is that cheese fields of Madison and go get your MVP.

Date

Run Type

Distance

Duration

Pace

5/13/2019

Hill Sprints w/ Pyramid Ints

6.4 mi

1:01:16

9:31

5/14/2019

WU w/ 4x 2Ks

1:06:02

8:39

5/14/2019

6x @00M w/ CD

23:10

9:52

5/15/2019

7 mi easy

1:20:35

10:44

5/16/2019

Made Mona Moan

1:07:59

9:10

5/17/2019

10 Mi easy w/ BoydsBabes

1:27:40

8:46

5/18/2019

9 mi  easy  w/ warmup

1:16:20

8:38

5/18/2019

4 mi Push w/ 1 mi CD

32:16

6:25

5/19/2019

Long run

2:12:32

9:24

workouts bolded

11:32:12

8:57 Avg Pace

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JMac - Your idea of a bad race is still a great time and you never fall apart. You’re the poster on here that I think is going to make the biggest progress and I’m looking forward to it!

Steve - Congrats!  A 1:22 half in my eyes is impressive!....I was looking at your 5/10k PRs and we’re very similar. Maybe if you have a different approach to the marathon...less mileage and harder workouts and you’ll go Sub 2:50 maybe?  I’m still learning and never feel that I’ve sussed the marathon distance out!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Yup, gonna be a long haul here with the heat for the next 4-5 months. Thinking I lost a good 5-6 this morning on my 10 miler.  Still not quite accimilated to our humidity levels just yet, but feel that is coming in another week or two.

*starts to whine about our weather, then thinks better about it*

(although....we did break 90 today, and our dew points are in the low 70s - that's worth something, right?)

Steve - I'm really glad you had such a good race.  I've thought about doing that race the past few years; the only concern is that I also like to do Broad Street Run, which is fairly close in time.

Jmac - I really wish we could have had one more cool week for you guys.  We've been so lucky for so long with the weather this spring (well, except for rain...), but I guess time's run out.  I also think it's hard to turn around from marathon to half-marathon.  For me personally, I feel like 12 weeks is the bare minimum to take a post-marathon break and then rebuild my fitness.

Madison - great attitude!

Nimmals - I take it Thursday was a Mona Fartlek?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kramrunner

Hey all. I am abandoning my self imposed exile and returning to these merry parts.

My spring cycle was a mess that started in Dec and lasted all the way up to a month before the Toledo marathon, including calf strain, ankle ligament strain, PF, tripping over in the dark, a cold, and some heavy work weeks. I had to basically surrender with all the seemingly endless injury/bad-luck bs and took days off any time I felt off and hence all mileage goals went out the window. Anyway, somehow off all that I was able to get back to decent shape and knock out a 2:52, which I was am happy with.

The plan now is to do 8-10 weeks of 5k ish stuff. Last week, was my first week back and it felt ok easing in; however, my calves were in bits on W/Th after my first proper fast stuff in ages. So, I'll play it by ear and may bail out on this if my legs are truly finding it too disagreeable. Looking fwd. to getting back to following all here for a good autumn cycle.

Summer #01
                          M    05/13       00 41 52    5.21
                          T     05/14       00 50 37   6.09  
                          W    05/15      00 52 02    6.30 tm w/ 2wu + 4x800 (11mph), 4x200 (11.5mph) + 1cd, 0.5% - rec: 0.1@3mph, 60s active
                          Th  05/16       00 33 08    4.17 
                          F    05/17         -- -- --     URD 
                          S    05/18      01 22 43    10.76 w/ ~1.5 tempo
                          S    05/19      01 14 26      9.26 
                                                                   ====

First week back at it. Restricted to 800s on Tue as was suffering and couldn't have done many more than 4, but solid effort to open things up. Calves were in bits on Wed/Thur but feel fine here on Sun evening. I bailed on a full 4mile MP on Sat and just did 80mins instead with ~1.5ish hard mile on hines trail hill. Good choice all things considered.

Mikey: Huge congrats on hunting down that MM.

Aussie/Jayluf: Best of luck at Bayshore this weekend. Stormy weather and high temps blowing in for the weekend down south MI, so hopefully that'll steer clear of the north and the lake breeze keeps things nice and cool.

JMac: Very solid HM. You're gonna be in great shape for the autumn. Looking fwd to what you can do in 5k land.

Madison: Really fast time. You think you'll have a chance at getting towards 2:30 full. You appear to be quite close to having the wheels.

Darkwave: I'm signed up for Indy again this year. It's a great race. Looking fwd. to meeting up and getting after it.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Kram is back! 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

steve_