2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Kram: Welcome back! Glad the exile is over.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nimmals - Just started following you on Strava. I can't believe you run in the preserve. I grew up in Massapequa on Merrick Road and ran in that preserve all the time, and still do from time to time. We've probably passed each other and never known it. I do tend to go out into the "trails" a bit more though when I'm running between Sunrise and the SSP. Quite a small world though.

Kram - Welcome back! I think I bugged you enough times on Strava to return 

Mikkey - what's up this summer for you?

DW - I think you're right on the turnaround. Definitely recovered, just not actually ready to race again. Regarding your comments on 5Ks, I'm going to only run 3 of them this summer, so it'll be every few weeks. Additionally, when I "front load" weeks, I tend to still come in below my total mileage. I think you're right that if you've been hitting 75 MPW, you can't expect to front load a week and still hit 75 with a race in there. I like to use my race weeks as a "down" week in my schedule. Good for recovery and allows you to race near your best.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cinnamon girl

Lots of positives to be taken from your race, JMac. I'm glad you're satisfied and not upset at all - good putting things in positive perspective. Continuing to push hard and still see what you can do when it's a struggle from early on is helpful experience! Do you feel trashed from it at all?

Welcome back to training and posting Kram - hope things improve from here! What contributed to the ankle, calf, and PF issues? New shoes? mileage?

Nimmals: explain Mona? I'm always interested in something new.

Weatherboy: am I right that you've tried/followed Daniel's 18 week plan in miles? The one in the back of the book (the version I have is table 14.6 p. 247) that only has long runs and workouts designated every 3-4 days with just E-day listed for all others? If so - thoughts?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - what's up this summer for you?

If I’d run a Sub 2:50 marathon at London last month then that would’ve been it for me. I PRd both 5k and marathon and won a Moose Mug, but I still don’t feel satisfied. I’ve got no interest in training for shorter distances and will probably chill out for the rest of the year and focus on 2:49 at London next year. Slammin will be there, so I’ll need to perform!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Andres1045

If I’d run a Sub 2:50 marathon at London last month then that would’ve been it for me. I PRd both 5k and marathon and won a Moose Mug, but I still don’t feel satisfied. I’ve got no interest in training for shorter distances and will probably chill out for the rest of the year and focus on 2:49 at London next year. Slammin will be there, so I’ll need to perform!

You don't think training for that 10k late last year played a big part in your London marathon success? I think some focus on a 10k/5k PR could help you get to 2:49. It can probably wait until October though if you're not going for it in Frankfurt (or whatever marathon you mentioned a while back).

Upcoming races: Boston

weatherboy80

Cinnamon: I basically followed the Daniels 2Q Marathon plan with the workouts taken from the 71-85 mile plan, but I also bumped my easy volume up into the low 90 range at my peak.  I've only gone through his plans a few times now, but really like it personally since I get bored with lots of EZ mileage.  I am also learning that you need to stick to the paces (not your goal pace early) and there is really no need to run more quality than the plan suggests.  Others would certainly argue on here that some of the M/T/M and T workouts are absolutely insane especially at our fitness levels, but I think if you scale back the paces early and mid cycle they really aren't horrible.  Other thing I did wrong (as pointed out by JMac etc ...) is that I overran a few of my workouts during the taper and likely left a bit of my Boston effort in training.  I also feel that 18 weeks (for me at least) was a bit too long this time around especially coming off a similar mileage and workout plan in my HM cycle in the fall of 2018.  Daniels and others, would have suggested a few more down weeks before jumping into my Boston cycle.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals - Just started following you on Strava. I can't believe you run in the preserve. I grew up in Massapequa on Merrick Road and ran in that preserve all the time, and still do from time to time. We've probably passed each other and never known it. I do tend to go out into the "trails" a bit more though when I'm running between Sunrise and the SSP. Quite a small world though.

JMAC whenever youre home hit me up we will roll on the trails Ive been running there since 2007 there or Babylon cedar creek when its covered in snow. I mostly run with Alie or my GF Tara so if you dont mind company I'd enjoy sharing a run.

Mikey Damn right You have to turn out and PR when I come to town. That's a given. I'm brining Vegimite l.

Cinnamon - I highly recommend The Mona Fartlek. So highly it’s an integral part of my training system. Last year I had a 35 yo who just had a baby and taken a break from running come back to PR in the 5k faster than her college time and come with 4 seconds of her college mile PR. she was a miler btw. It worked amazingly well as she ran faster than she did in college using Mona on a weekly basis. It’s amazing because in the end it’s a simple fartlek that builds speed quickly. It incorporates both anaerobic and aerobic efforts when scaled for pure speed. There s a great article on Steve Monaghetti and he did this workout year round the way I do. In the winter I have them go through slow paces 90 @ MP 60 @ HMP 30 @ 10K 15 @ 5k. And i switch it up this morning my group did it on the track.

There are so many ways to use it. It can be a float it can be on off. So in the summer I float so if my 90s are 5 flat I float 6flat so it becomes an intense speed session and it gets me ready to run a fast mile or 5k. its completely scalable like Deek Quarters. Those crazy Australians their workouts are routine and done year round and what that does is it build a repetitive consistency. After a few weeks take a break switch it up come at it from a different angle. The best workout ever, I named my sub Elite women’s OTQ program after it.  I can go on and on about the successes I've had. Our County champ at 3200m is only a sophmore guess his favorite workout. Mona, the first time he ever did it i coached him through it and he was perfect.  It took me a while to master it. it was so easy i keep messing it up.   Anyways He is only 15 years old already ran 15:53 and 33:40 this year. He has been doing Mona  my 1K\2k workout for only a year. I hope in two years he will be state champion.

So I know it’s repetitive but repetitive builds consistency.

Yes you’ll love this fartlek for its scalability  thats not even a word is it

See the blow excerpt on the Mona Fartlek 

“What is it: A continuous 20 minute fartlek run performed by alternating between an “on” pace which is on the speedy side, and an “off” pace which is the pace of your typical easy run. There are no stop breaks. It can be a float in harder efforts.

What to do:

2 mile easy warmup jog
                2 x (90sec on, 90 sec off)
                4 x (60 sec on, 60 sec off)
                4 x (30 sec on, 30 sec off)
                4 x (15 sec on, 15 sec off)
                1-2 mile easy cooldown jog

This is one of my all-time favorite workouts. You can do it anywhere, flat path, rolling hills, on the track in dirt trails, depending on what you want out of it, and it makes you FAST. The hard part is only 20 minutes long Actually 10 Minutes, and you feel like you really accomplished something when you’re done. And, well, you have!”

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You don't think training for that 10k late last year played a big part in your London marathon success? I think some focus on a 10k/5k PR could help you get to 2:49. It can probably wait until October though if you're not going for it in Frankfurt (or whatever marathon you mentioned a while back).

I think I managed about 5/6 weeks training before I injured my hamstring and was still a bit iffy going into that race! I think the faster paced long runs helped and I raced a bit more than normal. I going to try and get into the habit of racing more 5k Parkruns as part of my speedwork. I always lack a bit of motivation in May/JuneJuly.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

About 10 years ago, I really wanted to break 20 minutes for a 5K.  I thought it I could do that, I'd have accomplished everything I wanted to in running.

I finally did it at a November 5K.  Funny how about 30 seconds after doing that, I was coming up with new goals.....

Nimmals - one of the best things about that workout, besides its versatility, is its flexibility.  You don't need a track to do it, and you really don't need more than about a third of a mile of clear route, if you're really desperate, since you're never running hard for longer than 90 seconds.  So...a good fallback if your running route options are very limited.

Good luck JLufkin! And welcome back, KRAM!  Looking forward to Indy.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Cyberic

Nimmals, I've done the Moneghetti Fartlek before, but I never thought of playing around with it like you describe. The way I understood it it was a very very hard workout as I do the "off" parts with float recoveries at maybe MP or something. The "on" parts I go hard, and hard is, of course faster on a 15 sec segment than on a 90 sec repeat. Overall short, but tough as I never give myself much to recover. Just a breather.

But you've sold me on the idea of doing it different at times, like maybe going harder during the on parts and more at easy pace during the off parts, and maybe even try something else.

Great idea. And I realize that my understanding of "float" recoveries might be overzealous to stay at MPish pace? Or is that about it? Not that I think a float recovery = MP 1 for 1, I'm just using MP to give a pace idea of how I understand a float.

Good post with lots of passion Smile

Swim5599

I have done the moneghetti a bunch of times myself.  My understanding was the offs were supposed to be pretty honest so for Boyd that’s like 6:00 s. I tried to keep the offs at about MP also.  That WO is a bear if your just a little off going into it.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I've never done the Mona, but my float recoveries are usually around 7:30-8:00 pace - faster than easy pace, slower than MP.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Swim5599

Got 57 in this week

mon 6 8:11

tue 9 with 5x3:00 at 5k power (5:25)

wed 6 8:16

thurs 6 with strides 8:17

Fri 9 with 5x3:00 on at threshold power (5:47)1:00 off

sat 6 8:12

sun 15 as 85 minutes easy then 8x1:00 on at 5k power (5:12) 2:00 off

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Nimmals: Thanks for the nice explanation of the Mona fartlek; I'll have to give that one a try.

Swim: Nice week, I like the LR with fast short intervals at the end.

Me: Been lacking in motivation to do fast workouts for mile race prep. I guess I liked the idea of running a fast mile, but not the training that goes along with it . Just feel like ramping up mileage and getting into marathon mode so I think that's what I'll do. I'll still run the Spring Street Mile in a couple weeks but just for fun.

Weekly Summary
                              Monday, May 20, 2019 thru Sunday, May 26, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                              Tue 10.1 7:47 Morning Run 507 strava
                              Wed 1.2 10:35 Short rover run 108 strava
                              Thu 10.8 7:29 TM: 3 x 2 mi 0 strava
                              Fri 10.1 8:11 Morning Run 514 strava
                              Sat 11.6 8:02 Morning Run 640 strava
                              Sun 18.1 7:58 Long run 774 strava
                                61.9 7:57   2543  

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Swim: Nice week, I like the LR with fast short intervals at the end.

I do as well.

JTReeves - I'm focusing on miles this summer, as I've done in the past, and my coach really doesn't have me do much different for them, other than add some 200s to the ends of workouts.  Of course, that may be because he and I both see the summer mile racing as an intermediary to faster marathon performances in the fall.

My week:

42 miles, 20 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming
                                M: yoga and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running.
                                T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2x1200, 2x800, 2x400, 2x200 in 4:30, 4:24, 2:56, 2:53, 86, 83, 41, 41 (recovery of 2:20-2:30 after the 1200s and 800s, 90 seconds between the 400s, and 75 seconds between the 200s).  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                                W: 5 miles very easy (8:59), DIY yoga, and 7 miles very easy (8:43), and drills/strides
                                Th: Upper body weights/core and 7.5 "miles" of pool-running.
                                F: 10 miles, including a track workout of 3200, 1600 in 12:29 (6:14/6:15), and 6:08 (~5 minute recovery).  Followed with 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                                Sa:  8 miles very easy (9:00), drills, strides, DIY yoga, and light upper body weights/core.
                                Su:  4 "miles" of pool-running, 1000 yards of swimming, and some DIY yoga.

I'm racing a road mile on Monday, so eased up on stuff for the latter part of the week.

In other news, finally got the colonoscopy biopsy results back, and they confirmed I have a mild case of ulcerative colitis (all the scary stuff you read when you google it do NOT apply to me).  The diagnosis isn't a terribly big surprise, since I've been dealing with auto-immune GI trouble for years, and already have the diet/lifestyle changes dialed in.  They just didn't have enough to give a firm diagnosis before, but now they do.

So...the GI trouble I had this spring was apparently a UC flare triggered by a dietary lapse at a work function.  We're starting a new med (legal under USADA - I checked) to clear up the residual ulceration and hopefully prevent another relapse.

I am REALLY glad I got stuff checked out again after Shamrock, and that I went ahead with the colonoscopy.